Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

who could fill in at finance for brian lenihan?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,183 ✭✭✭dvpower

mikemac wrote: »
    Brian Lenihan was a barrister, not a solicitor. It's not a pedantic point, anyone in the two professions would be quick to point out the differences

... for a fee.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,952 ✭✭✭kravmaga

DrumSteve wrote: »
    first off let me say i wish brian all the best and i hope he makes a full recovery. However,should his health condition degrade, who could you see filling in for him in finance? I really can't see anyone in the current administration who would have the proper cajones to take it on but knowing cowen he'll probably stick cullen in there... Could this possibly force a GE?

Its a poisioned chalice......who would want to volunteer for a position like that.

Cant see anyone filling in for Brian Lenihan......most Ministers are happy in their current position

• Registered Users Posts: 1,379 ✭✭✭thebigcheese22

Regardless of party politics, I think Joan Burton would be the best suited to the job tbh. She was the most vocal Opposition spokesperson against NAMA and played a blinder in the Dail, as well as the fact that she's experienced being a former accountant. (I am tad biased as I'm a Labour member but I do believe she would do a great job)

As much as I dislike Richard Bruton's idealogy, I do think he has a lot of integrity - unlike the vast majority in this FF/Green Government. If he did get the position in a national government type of scenario, it wouldn't overly bother me.

But besides, I think this thread has come about too soon. Let's get a definite announcement before talking about his successor.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,443 ✭✭✭Byron85

Regardless of party politics, I think Joan Burton would be the best suited to the job tbh. She was the most vocal Opposition spokesperson against NAMA and played a blinder in the Dail, as well as the fact that she's experienced being a former accountant. (I am tad biased as I'm a Labour member but I do believe she would do a great job)

As much as I dislike Richard Bruton's idealogy, I do think he has a lot of integrity - unlike the vast majority in this FF/Green Government. If he did get the position in a national government type of scenario, it wouldn't overly bother me.

But besides, I think this thread has come about too soon. Let's get a definite announcement before talking about his successor.

Joan Burton??? Dear god.

Joan Burton??? Dear god.

Care to elaborate? :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,443 ✭✭✭Byron85

Care to elaborate? :rolleyes:

I probably should have. :D Sorry about that. The prospect of a FG/Labour coalition in the future, to me, is the way forward for this country. I suppose we can agree on that (maybe?). I don't agree with Burton as Min for Finance though. Say what you like about FG, but they have probably got the 2 most qualified people in the Dail who could be Min for Finance in the shape of Lee but even more so Bruton. I think Joan would be far out of her depth. Put simply, I think she's a bumbler when it comes to her policies and views. That's not to take away from the experience that she obviously has but if it came down to it, Bruton or Lee would be far better as a Min for Finance.

I hope that's a somewhat of a better explanation!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,271 ✭✭✭irish_bob

horrible news to arrive , especially at christmas , brian lennehan was the one member of goverment i had any time for , as for who could fill his shoes at such an important time for the country , very few strong canditates , dermot aherne has been mentioned , he does project a certain degree of authority which the brief demands , michael martin has also been mentioned , my opinion of martin is that he talks the talk but little else beyond that , as for the suggestion that cowen step back into finance :eek: , he was the worst finance minister we ever had , his only role was to shout how high when benchmarking bertie shouted jump

mary harney has been mentioned , seeing she is on the way out , one might say she has nothing to gain for such pain the role would bring but one could also say she has nothing to loose , one thing is for sure , fianna fail would love to see her take the possiton , in 2007 , fianna fail blamed almost everything that was wrong with the country on harney and mcdowell and it worked

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,443 ✭✭✭Red Sleeping Beauty

Hearty lolz at the suggestions of Mary Harney. I think the reality is there is no one qualified or willing to take on such a position within in the cabinet.

In fairness to the man I don't think there was much hope placed in him when he got the position in the first place.

I can't see how this will force a general election. If Lenihan pulls out and resigns there'll just be a by-election surely? Though if there is a by-election it's doubtful Fianna Fail could pull in another TD and if I remember right they're kinda not doing so well with their govt. voting numbers at the minute.

• Registered Users Posts: 626 ✭✭✭Cork Boy

This post has been deleted.

While i don't agree, please accept my congratulations on being the first person to post something in a constructive/logical fashion with reasoning backed up by evidence. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,200 ✭✭✭imme

Brian Lenihan was a barrister, not a solicitor. It's not a pedantic point, anyone in the two professions would be quick to point out the differences
    is one better than the other, sorry but that gave me a laugh, I think most people on here know the difference.

I think Michael Martin is most likely, Harney would be questioned as to her politics, would she have to rejoin FF, could have an effective Ind min for finance?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 960 ✭✭✭Shea O'Meara

Harney? Because she played such a blinder with health?
    Where do people get the idea Mary Harney will roll her sleeves up and get stuck in? It's economics not pie.

Harney? Because she played such a blinder with health?
    Where do people get the idea Mary Harney will roll her sleeves up and get stuck in? It's economics not pie.
    is dessert not dish of the day?
    Harney has similar economic experience from her days in Enterprise, Trade & Employment.
    She has her own mind, whereas a Dermot Ahern or Noel Dempsey ministry might not be so aware.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,567 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

greendom wrote: »
    Mary Harney is the only one with the balls for the job.
    I don't think she would take it.
    I believe she is not running again at the next election so moving to take over (for the remaining period) for the government could be a headache she further might not want.
    That said, I'd be bloomin' glad to see her shifted from the health services.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,271 ✭✭✭irish_bob

its only just come to me but i cant believe no one has mentioned it before now

the perfect choice for the role is exiled deputy john mc guinness , mcguinness has been fiercely critical of the whole social partnership process and has been the most vocal of any td as regards public sector reform , unfortunatley this is the reason he wont get the job , brian cowen is above all else a petty small man , mc guinness criticising social partnership was mcguiness dissing biffo , michael martin will most likely step in , he has never ruffled any feathers , kissed ass , toed the line and like cowen has nothing outstanding on his CV , all this will make him the obvious choice for a man like cowen

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 7,486 ✭✭✭Red Alert

Coughlan anyone? The gaffe prone minister is obviously being wasted in agriculture.

Red Alert wrote: »
    Coughlan anyone? The gaffe prone minister is obviously being wasted in agriculture.

She's actually in Enterprise, Trade and Employment... Even worse :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,084 ✭✭✭oppenheimer1

Firstly, I hope Mr Lenihan doesn't have to step down and gets well soon, however should it come to pass that he is unable to continue I'd like to see Alan Aherne take on the role as finance minister. I don't think anyone elected in the Dail really wants to take on such a poison chalice so why not appoint Aherne to the Seanad for the role of Finance minister. It would be perfect for the government, they would get an experienced man well in tune with the inner workings of the dept as well as an unelected lightning rod for bad news.

Again I hope it doesn't come to this, I had been warming to Lenihan over the past year. He is a very intelligent man and a great speaker.

Firstly, I hope Mr Lenihan doesn't have to step down and gets well soon, however should it come to pass that he is unable to continue I'd like to see Alan Aherne take on the role as finance minister. I don't think anyone elected in the Dail really wants to take on such a poison chalice so why not appoint Aherne to the Seanad for the role of Finance minister. It would be perfect for the government, they would get an experienced man well in tune with the inner workings of the dept as well as an unelected lightning rod for bad news.
    minister for finance must come from the Dáil

• Registered Users Posts: 1,693 ✭✭✭Zynks

Michéal Martin

And no, the government was elected to a 5 year term and that is what they will serve. It's what the electorate wanted after all

Being a bit pedantic, the TDs were elected for a five year term, but I dispute the concept that the government was elected under such terms. As a government they are the result of exchanges of favours and concessions among TDs, just as occurred during the budget vote earlier this month....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,084 ✭✭✭oppenheimer1

I stand corrected. I need to brush up on my constitution!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,693 ✭✭✭Zynks

imme wrote: »
    minister for finance must come from the Dáil

Correct....ain't we lucky!?!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,366 ✭✭✭ninty9er

Cant see anyone filling in for Brian Lenihan......most Ministers are happy in their current position
    Nobody said it had to be a current minister.
    irish_bob wrote: »
    its only just come to me but i cant believe no one has mentioned it before now

the perfect choice for the role is exiled deputy john mc guinness , mcguinness has been fiercely critical of the whole social partnership process and has been the most vocal of any td as regards public sector reform , unfortunatley this is the reason he wont get the job , brian cowen is above all else a petty small man ,
    Close, but no cherry.

John McGuinness would be a prime choice wer he able to work within cabinet. Through his childish behaviour after he lost his portfolio (theretofore he had been reltively silent) he has proven that he is not a team player. This country needs a unified team at its helm, not a number of splinter groups operating within cabinet. Disagreements are one thing, but what he did is politically unforgivable.

Back to the question at hand:
    Seán Ardagh, Frank Fahey and Peter Power have been taking a bit of the burden of the NAMA legislation recently, none in any way particularly professionally qualified, but let's not forget that the purpose of the Dáil is to legislate, and anyone can do that with enough research.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 Republic_of_Now

Brain Cowen could resign as Taoiseach and do what he feels is his 'Patriotic duty' and reclaim his mantle as Finance Minister. He has some experience but in hindsight probably not the best track record.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,163 ✭✭✭✭Liam Byrne

Brain Cowen could resign as Taoiseach and do what he feels is his 'Patriotic duty' and reclaim his mantle as Finance Minister. He has some experience but in hindsight probably not the best track record.

You're joking, right ? While I'd love to see the idiot who got us into this mess (admittedly with help from his deluded buddy Ahern) have to get us out of it, there's feck-all chance that he'd be capable of it!

If I wasn't impacted by his half-assed decisions, I'd love to see it, though; karma and poetic justice are cool!

Liam Byrne wrote: »
    You're joking, right ?

Of course :)
    In all seriousness I think Hanafin would be a good lady for the job, but the chances of that happening are quite unlikely.

Should Martin Manseragh as Minister of State for Finance not take his position in case of Lenihan's absence?

Should Martin Manseragh as Minister of State for Finance not take his position in case of Lenihan's absence?

Hopefully you're still joking......this is the muppet that was rolled out to defend a €200,000 bill for redecorating an office for a disgraced former Taoiseach who isn't in it coz he's busy being driven around at our expense to promote his work of fiction...

Hopefully you're still joking......this is the muppet that was rolled out to defend a €200,000 bill for redecorating an office for a disgraced former Taoiseach who isn't in it coz he's busy being driven around at our expense to promote his work of fiction...

well... No. It would seem logical though, he's (Junior) Minister for Finance.
    Not that I want him to be there.

well... No. It would seem logical though, he's (Junior) Minister for Finance.
    Not that I want him to be there.

Fair enough. Competence isn't exactly a requirement for a ministerial position in the current shower of plonkers, so I guess any FF TD could qualify....

• Registered Users Posts: 13,591 ✭✭✭✭Aidric

Lenihan is a useless tosser; that doesn't mean that I'd wish illness on him, but likewise the illness shouldn't stop people from telling it like it is.
    Are you for real with a comment like that? Brian Lenihan is far from 'a useless tosser'. He has performed his portfolio admirably in the face of financial meltdown.

• Advertisement

Aidric wrote: »
    Are you for real with a comment like that? Brian Lenihan is far from 'a useless tosser'. He has performed his portfolio admirably in the face of financial meltdown.

Yes, I'm "for real"......unlike the useless tosser who gave our cash to Anglo without even batting an eyelid or investigating whether it was worth saving.

Advertisement