Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

fish in a fridge, how long?

Options
  • 27-12-2009 1:38am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 51 ✭✭

I've had a large hake fillet in the fridge unsealed since xmas eve. Would it still be ok to bake it tomorrow? I'm a bit of a newbie with fish so any advice would be welcome :o!

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

Does it smell okay? I have a 3 day rule with meat and fish in the fridge, but if it smells okay tomorrow, it should be fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Yes, just smell it, fresh fish does not smell "fishy", and BB dates are only a relatively recent thing, people used have to go by smell & eye. Some meats seem to keep better than others, like a beef steak could be OK while chicken or fish could be stinky. The 3 day rule is Ok but depending on the shop there is no real way to tell how long it was in their fridge. "unsealed" sounds like its a supermarket fish, while a proper fishmonger could have had it landed on the day you bought it, (could have).

I only buy frozen fish these days.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 51 ✭✭Mr Amazing

Thanks for the replies, Baked it tonight and I think it held up ok,
    I know chicken when it's gone off because it smells aweful, does fish go the same way?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,050 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Mr Amazing wrote: »
    Thanks for the replies, Baked it tonight and I think it held up ok,
    I know chicken when it's gone off because it smells aweful, does fish go the same way?

As said before, it starts to smell very fishy.
    Personally, I'm very fussy about the freshness of my fish but that's a taste thing, not a food safety thing.

Advertisement