Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Weird calls from Ghana anyone....

Options
  • 27-12-2009 1:52am
    Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭

Hi just wondering is anyone else having the same problem as my mum? She got a vodafone mobile in July and about September she has started getting calls at all hours from the same 5 or 6 numbers, all of which are originating in Gahna. Its nearly always the same everytime she answers.. some background noise then hang ups. A couple of times she could hear people and cars. I`ve called the numbers back to see if I got a answer but the phones just rang out.
    After explaing this to vodafone the girl wasnt too helpful. First I was thinking some kind of scam where you get charged 2 or 3 euro for answering your phone but no credit was taken, then maybe a recycled number as its a top up phone. She dosnt answer it anymore but I thought that with all these calls the least vodafone could do would be offer her a new sim card.. (I know it dosnt cost much but thats not the point).

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,382 ✭✭✭✭AARRRGH

Is it possible to ban the numbers?

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭MadMickeyMonk

AARRRGH wrote: »
    Is it possible to ban the numbers?

Thats how I felt vodafone were usless.. The girl told me that they cant block these numbers (I cant even remember why but it involved me reporting it to the guards) and because she wasnt a premium customer (she uses a top up phone and not a bill phone). Load of old s**te cos all they had to do was replace the sim card instead of just having the attitude of "well theres nothing we can do about it".

• Registered Users Posts: 2,471 ✭✭✭majiktripp

Dont worry too much about it, if theres nothing sinister about it , and no charges being made to your account then maybe it is just random.... either that or its George...
    Fonejacker

• Registered Users Posts: 689 ✭✭✭tudlytops

As far as I know somewhere on the phone you will find a way to block the nr, at least i can on mine.

majiktripp wrote: »
    Dont worry too much about it, if theres nothing sinister about it , and no charges being made to your account then maybe it is just random.... either that or its George...
    Fonejacker

:D:D:D I was waiting for someone to say this but ya shes not worried but its a pain in the arse to have your phone to ring in the morning and at nighttime most days

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,085 ✭✭✭meoklmrk91

Thats how I felt vodafone were usless.. The girl told me that they cant block these numbers (I cant even remember why but it involved me reporting it to the guards) and because she wasnt a premium customer (she uses a top up phone and not a bill phone). Load of old s**te cos all they had to do was replace the sim card instead of just having the attitude of "well theres nothing we can do about it".

Exactly why I left Vodafone, they couldn't be arsed about their customers. It's very strange I haven't ever heard of anything like this before, at first when I read I thought it might have been some sort of a scam. I'd say your mum got someone elses old number, someone with connections in Ghana.... Ring Vodafone back again hope that you get someone a little more helpful, if not ask to speak to a manager.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,993 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

Actually I've had something similar - although using reverse lookup it appears mine originate from Zaire (which makes sense as I hear French). I answered a couple of times and asked them to stop ringing me but I now just hang up. The weird thing is that the calls are intermittent - I'd not hear anything for weeks and then get 6 in a day. I'm with Vodafone as well and I must ring them up to complain too (especially since I'm bill pay).

• Registered Users Posts: 918 ✭✭✭Agent_99

http://www.vmad.com/joomla/

Used as anti bullying software for kids but can be used to block calls and txt from any number you wish...

Agent_99 wrote: »
    http://www.vmad.com/joomla/

Used as anti bullying software for kids but can be used to block calls and txt from any number you wish...

Why should she pay 20 euro for a service provided by someone else? I dont think the phone even costs that! She pays vodaphone for a service and some level of security.
    But having seen the post above I have to say her phone has gone the same pattern as yours latley... nothing for a week then 8 or 9 a day for 2 days then all quiet again

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,264 ✭✭✭Pretty_Pistol

I know this thread is nearly a year old but I got a call this morning with a +324 which is a Ghana number. Like the OP they just hung up as soon as I said Hello. There was a woman in a background with what sounded like an English accent. :confused: I'm with Vodafone too.

Has anyone from another mobile phone company got these calls?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 37,301 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

I'm with o2, and I don't get them. Yelling obscene crap down the phone is fun. That and notifying them that you are required by law to tell them that the police are listening to this conversation.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,503 ✭✭✭smelltheglove

I can sympathise with your mother, 2 yrs with one phone number and we still receive calls from india at random times, as annoying as it is we have learnt to get used too it. Whoever had the number before us seemed not to have updated friends and family with their new number.

Since my husband started shouting down the phone at them we are receiving less calls though.

Advertisement