Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

$120K v. £70K Salary

Options
  • 27-12-2009 3:51am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2

I have a job in NY that pays $120K pa. I have a job offer in London for £70K pa. Do I take the London job? Based on today's conversion rate, I'd be making less money in London, but that salary is considered high in the UK. What should I do?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,367 ✭✭✭✭watna

movetoUK wrote: »
    I have a job in NY that pays $120K pa. I have a job offer in London for £70K pa. Do I take the London job? Based on today's conversion rate, I'd be making less money in London, but that salary is considered high in the UK. What should I do?

Have you checked how much you would be taxed? Have you checked cost of living in the UK? If I were you I'd work out what your weekly/monthly take home pay would be and then check out the cost of rent and things and see if you are better off than you are currently.

Also, are you only considering money in your decision or are there other factors? e.g. for me I'd prefer London because I'd be closer to home and know a lot of people there. Are they the same job or would you prefer the work in one? Do you ahve friends/family in either place?

It sounds like you are only using money as a basis for your decision and I really don't think that's a good idea. There's more to being happy in a city than how much you earn.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 movetoUK

no this is considering all the things equal. the only thing different is in the pay. also i have to pay uk and us taxes so in terms of net take home, it's the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,639 ✭✭✭PeakOutput

no this is considering all the things equal. the only thing different is in the pay. also i have to pay uk and us taxes so in terms of net take home, it's the same.

but those tax rates are not the same so how would the take home be the same?

if money is the only factor then stay were you are obviously

• Registered Users Posts: 1,110 ✭✭✭mike kelly

Much easier for irish people to settle into life in NY than in London. Definitely go for NY.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,376 ✭✭✭54kroc

mike kelly wrote: »
    Much easier for irish people to settle into life in NY than in London. Definitely go for NY.

Should that not be the other way around mike?

• Advertisement

cork45 wrote: »
    Should that not be the other way around mike?

No

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,376 ✭✭✭54kroc

mike kelly wrote: »
    No

So it's easier for an Irish person to settle into New York. Are you speaking from experience?
    I've lived in London but not New York and I've a few friends who have lived in both and it's the first time I've heard New York would be easier to live in.

cork45 wrote: »
    So it's easier for an Irish person to settle into New York. Are you speaking from experience?
    I've lived in London but not New York and I've a few friends who have lived in both and it's the first time I've heard New York would be easier to live in.

Great irish community in New York, lots of great bars and the Americans are very welcoming towards irish people. I like London but NY is way ahead.

• Registered Users Posts: 391 ✭✭freelancerTax

are you not forgetting about how hard it is to get a visa? non needed for london if you are irish

• Registered Users Posts: 169 ✭✭ianwalsh2

are you not forgetting about how hard it is to get a visa? non needed for london if you are irish

It appears the OP is already living and working in NY so a visa probably isn't an issue.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,383 ✭✭✭emeraldstar

For me New York, no question.

Have you made a decision OP?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,193 ✭✭✭[Jackass]

Sorry to hear that man! :(

Well, at least you can fit your wad of fifties in your wallet and your diamond shoes aren't too tight!! :pac:

Go on location, not exchange rate. Both are excellent salaries that provide an excellent standard of living in either city. Personally, I'd go for New York, simply because it's a cooler city, it's "living the dream" and you can work in London any time, you may not get another oppertunity to work in New York / U.S. and if you hang around for a few years, you'll be able to work anywhere in U.S. or E.U., which is also part of "living the dream"!

Fair play to you man, wherever you end up, enjoy!

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭fergal_d

Personally the money would not come into it for me. I would prefer to work and live in America more than the UK

Advertisement