Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2 graphics cards (heat and power)

Options
  • 27-12-2009 7:26am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,190 ✭✭✭

I have an oem dell xps 720. right now i have a geforce 8800gtx (which btw is 2 slots) and i want to put in another 2 slot card which i don't quite remmeber the spec of ( around geforece 6800 or 6900 gts? maybe 7200 or something like that)

Anyway i opened the case up and put them in together. One second thoughts after seeing them together i'm wondering will this overheat my computer. There is hardly any space between them.

http://img94.imageshack.us/img94/1213/photo0276.jpg (1.4MB)

Second problem. 8800gtx requires 2 power leads which are connected fine. The other one requires 1 which i don't have... problem? I'm assuming the graphics card will just run at a reduced capability right.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,614 ✭✭✭BadCharlie

I have 2 cards in my case and they are almost touching. It does make one card slightly hoter then the other. But as my case is well vented im ok. Also i have a side case fan blowing onto my two cards.

A few questions.
    1. Do u have an SLI bridge?
    2. Your 8800GTX will be hindered with the card you have put into your machine. I think it might even run slower then with just the 8800GTX on its own. Unless your using the second card for PhysX?
    3. What is your PSU? can it handle another video card?

Also u will need to plug the 6pin into the new video card if that is what its looking for. It wont work other wise. You can buy a molex 6pin that would work.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,190 ✭✭✭wolfric

blue screened upon automatic driver install and had to do a system restore (no additional power plugged in for the second gfx) just going to leave it thanks anyway though. It sounded when i started the pc up though that the fans were already audible so i'd say probably a bad idea in the long run.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 674 ✭✭✭jonny72

wolfric wrote: »
    blue screened upon automatic driver install and had to do a system restore (no additional power plugged in for the second gfx) just going to leave it thanks anyway though. It sounded when i started the pc up though that the fans were already audible so i'd say probably a bad idea in the long run.

I believe both cards have to be the same spec.. e.g. 2 8800 GTX's WITH sli bridge connector

Your PSU has to be up to powering two resource hungry cards like that.

I've been told that people have run 2 completely different cards side by side with no issues.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 339 ✭✭docmol

Are you using two monitors? You can use 2 different graphics cards with 2 monitors (in that case your second card does not need to be powerful and the one you are using is overkill) for extending your desktop. If you are looking for sli you need two identical cards and an sli bridge.

• Advertisement

i'm was trying to plug in 4 monitors actually and i don't have any other graphics cards. I already have 2 with my 8800gtx.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,614 ✭✭✭BadCharlie

wolfric wrote: »
    I've been told that people have run 2 completely different cards side by side with no issues.

Yes u can.
    U can even run an Nvidia & ATI card running in the same computer, but you would need a driver hack for this to work.

Like i said u will need another 6pin molex for this to work.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 339 ✭✭docmol

If I was you I'd buy a cheap low power nvidia card (€20/€30) that dosn't require extra power. Less hassle all round

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 18,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭Solitaire

If you just want four monitors I'd recommend getting a low-profile GT210 or 9400GS or similar for cheap and using that as the secondary GPU instead. Negligible power consumption, no need for PCIe power connectors and if you're not intending to run 3D apps on them anyway... plus a low-profile card will hopefully block the 8800GTX less and give its fan at least half a chance to breathe. Its not really the inside of the case that's the problem, its the chance that the big, mean, hot primary GPU will get strangled by the full-height second card pressed up against it, blocking its cooling systems and making it overheat in seclusion :o

EDIT: Beaten again :(

guys thanks for the replies but as i was trying to say earlier I've finished with the project. I'm broke and just going to survive with 2 monitors. I'll leave this one till i get some more money

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭lmimmfn

2 Things here:
    1. If the other card needs a PCIE connector plugged in then you need the molex->PCIE connector( you get the cheap or with any gfx card )
    2. You MUST find an Nvidia driver that has support for both cards, the early 8800GTX ones should work, later if you get that working you can get a hacked version of the latest drivers.

Advertisement