Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gritting the foopaths

Options
  • 27-12-2009 10:48am
    Registered Users Posts: 429 ✭✭

Why did Cork City Council not grit the footpaths- their condition over the past few days was an absolute disgrace.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 874 ✭✭✭Max001

Dan Dare wrote: »
    Why did Cork City Council not grit the footpaths- their condition over the past few days was an absolute disgrace.

Cause thinking of that requires some common sense?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,706 ✭✭✭craichoe

Because all of the grit was allocated to dangerous areas such as roads for cars/buses/trucks etc.

Same all across Europe afaik.

• Registered Users Posts: 429 ✭✭Dan Dare

craichoe wrote: »
    Because all of the grit was allocated to dangerous areas such as roads for cars/buses/trucks etc.

No so. In London the footpaths were gritted when the conditions were icy.

• Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭FunkyMissMonkey

craichoe wrote: »

That would make sense, had I seen any grit at all on the roads over the past week. Have been at work all over the holidays, and no grit to be found anywhere! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 443 ✭✭cork1

i heard from a Co. Council Worker that there is no grit left in their yards!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,629 ✭✭✭raah!

We wouldn't be able to slide on them then! They were sparkling and everything... maybe if you are just careful when you walk on them.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,059 ✭✭✭Buceph

People have been seriously injured by the lack of gritting. I've heard that the Regional has run out of pins to put into peoples broken bones and have had to delay a load of surgeries until the get. The amount of people falling over, despite being careful is huge. I'd say there's at least one slightly injured person per family, and a couple of fallers.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,544 ✭✭✭Hogzy

Buceph wrote: »
    I'd say there's at least one slightly injured person per family.

Id say ur way off tbh... I dont know ANYONE who has been injured by ice

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,285 ✭✭✭BanzaiBk

Hogzy wrote: »
    Id say ur way off tbh...

62 people for ortho emergency surg on Thursday, 51 on Friday, 38 Saturday. Don't remember Sunday numbers.

RE: Buceph, false information regarding pins. Just an inordinate number of people requiring emergency repair.

People took too many ridiculous risks these past few days.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,168 ✭✭✭colblimp

BanzaiBk wrote: »
    People took too many ridiculous risks these past few days.

But if the council had gritted the roads and paths, like it's supposed to...

I find it incredible that when the country experiences a bit of frost, it all falls to pieces. Imagine if, God forbid, some snow had fallen?! :eek: Ireland would have come to a standstill! :rolleyes: Other countries get weather much, much worse than we do and they just get on with it - why can't Ireland cope?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,544 ✭✭✭Hogzy

Seems like all Ireland can cope with is mild rain,

Too much rain and half the country floods
    Too much cold and people dont realise how slow to drive/walk etc
    Too much heat and...well its just too hot for their liking and people start to internally combust...

We are all crazy

• Registered Users Posts: 6,495 ✭✭✭Oafley Jones

Buceph wrote: »
    People have been seriously injured by the lack of gritting. I've heard that the Regional has run out of pins to put into peoples broken bones and have had to delay a load of surgeries until the get. The amount of people falling over, despite being careful is huge. I'd say there's at least one slightly injured person per family, and a couple of fallers.

The Regional really needs to be properly gritting their own paths, particularly around the Bishopstown Avenue exit. Second year in a row I've seen an old lady take a serious hopper coming up to the gate. The whole of the Model Farm Road was treacherous, ending up walking on the roads it was so bad. Out of interest is anyone liable for falls on public footpaths or is it just tough luck?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,281 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

colblimp wrote: »
    But if the council had gritted the roads and paths, like it's supposed to...

I find it incredible that when the country experiences a bit of frost, it all falls to pieces. Imagine if, God forbid, some snow had fallen?! :eek: Ireland would have come to a standstill! :rolleyes: Other countries get weather much, much worse than we do and they just get on with it - why can't Ireland cope?

we could be looking at snow in the next few days:eek:! Think of the devastation! We'll all be imprisoned in our houses!

• Site Banned Posts: 5,904 ✭✭✭parsi

colblimp wrote: »
    But if the council had gritted the roads and paths, like it's supposed to...?

What about people looking out the window and making an educated decision not to go out ?

Or do what we did and bring along a tub of salt for particularly dodgy bits ?

Or perhaps shops and homes could grit the bits outside their own property rather than waiting for someone else to do it ..

Sometimes we have to take some responsibility.

Out of interest is anyone liable for falls on public footpaths or is it just tough luck?

It depends I'd imagine.

A fall based on "normal" freezing would be tough-luck but I notice near here that there's a house which has a dripping overflow which is running onto the path/road and freezing (and this caused a lot of skids last week). In this case if you had a good lawyer I'm sure you could start proceedings.

According to RTE Radio this morning, CUH have dealt with an average of 44 cases of people falling on ice each day since Christmas Eve, it might have been useful of RTE to tell us what the statistics were for the last couple of Christmas's as well.

Is it a lack of salt for gritting or is it a lack of funds to pay the overtime?

Another balls-up!

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 15,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭rebel girl 15

Dan Dare wrote: »

Is it a lack of salt for gritting or is it a lack of funds to pay the overtime?

Bit of column A and bit of column B - this is from this mornings Examiner

CASH-STRAPPED local authorities are in dire need of funding to grit dangerous roads as the big freeze yesterday claimed another life and left many seriously injured.

As forecasters predict icy conditions will continue for at least another week, Fine Gael warned that the Government had to tackle the problem as a matter of urgency.

The party’s road safety spokesman, Shane McEntee, claimed councils were not adequately gritting roads because they had run out of money.

He said it simply wasn’t good enough for the Government to ignore the problem and emergency resources were needed before more families were devastated by road tragedies.

"Treacherous roads have already claimed lives at the weekend and this will continue to be a threat as long as severe weather conditions prevail," the TD said.

"Despite the ongoing warnings of bad weather, local councils are not managing to do their jobs in making icy roads safe for motorists.

"This seems to be because funding has run out at a time when it is critical that councils have the resources to put in place essential road safety measures during adverse weather conditions, like the gritting of roads."

The AA’s Conor Faughnan backed his claims and said it had received reports from gardaí yesterday that some main roads had not been gritted. This, he said, was of "serious concern".

Mr Faughnan said there was no excuse for a fundamental safety precaution such as gritting not to be carried out adequately when ice had been forecast.

"Motorists have been well prepared thanks to Met Éireann and the AA but it is very difficult to believe that salt or sand to make roads safe has run out," he said.

Mr Faughnan said the matter was one the AA would be following up in the new year.

Meanwhile, Cork county manager Martin Riordan said his overtime budget had been cut by 50% and, consequently, resulted in a major curtailment of gritting on secondary roads.

Mr Riordan said he expects to have to implement even further cutbacks on the overtime budget next year which would have an even bigger impact if there was a prolonged period of severe weather.

It also emerged yesterday that council bosses in Galway had run out of salt and grit and workmen were concentrating on primary roads in a bid to make supplies go further.

Former mayor of Galway, Cllr Donal Lyons, said he was inundated with complaints, especially from residents in housing estates after the city council ran out of funding and concentrated their supplies on the main roads.

"Money is very tight but we have to ensure our roads are safe," added Mr Lyons.

A spokesman for Dublin City Council said gritting teams were in place and the work was being carried out in accordance with the severity of the ice.

52 for ortho surg again yesterday. About 242 estimated fractures since last Wednesday citywide.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 15,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭rebel girl 15

52 for ortho surg again yesterday. About 242 estimated fractures since last Wednesday citywide.

I'm not surprised at the high number - before Christmas, I was walking across the road outside UCC, presuming because it was the road I'd be safe from falling - no! Slipped and slided across, but did not fall :D Its too dangerous for people to be out, they need to stay in and only travel if necessary, i.e. to work

• Registered Users Posts: 718 ✭✭✭fastrac

With the slow down in the building im surprised that some enterprising builders dont get a load of grit and offer a private gritting service to businesses and estates.It looks like we can no longer depend on the government to look after us.It could be a nice little tax free earner for anybody who does it and more luck to them

• Advertisement

I'd also like to know the number of injuries/incidents related to alcohol consumption.

Can these be published ?

Its too dangerous for people to be out, they need to stay in and only travel if necessary, i.e. to work
    Exactly! A lot of accidents could have been avoided!
    fastrac wrote: »
    With the slow down in the building im surprised that some enterprising builders dont get a load of grit and offer a private gritting service to businesses and estates...
    The building contractors who are refurbishing the Western Gateway Building offered and gave or sold (I don't know if money changed hands) grit to the council.
    parsi wrote: »
    I'd also like to know the number of injuries/incidents related to alcohol consumption.

Can these be published ?

They can be published fine (under the Freedom of Information act) but it would be a while before those kinda figures came out. Certainly it was clear on Christmas Eve and the night before that a large number of incidents were fueled by alcohol.

• Registered Users Posts: 827 ✭✭✭Cian92

I can see the problem for the elderly, but really everyone else could buy their own tub of salt for the footpaths. Its also annoying that people complain about the entrances to their estates not being gritted, they can surely grit it themselves. My own road was completely impasable in one spot and there were 5 accidents, around twenty of us got out and gritted the road ourselves. Get over it, my road should be gritted well before your fecking footpaths!

Mhmm ourselves and the neighbours gritted the road and the incline at the end everyday for 4 days. Saw most people doing the same in the suburbs.

Alcohol may or may not have played a part in the number of injuries suffered by pedestrians.

Yes people ought to be responsible for gritting outside their houses.

But the fact remains that Cork City Council did little or nothing to keep the city safe over the last week.

I overheard a woman yesterday (Tuesday) say that she did not dare leave her house since Christmas Eve until yesterday.

• Registered Users Posts: 466 ✭✭discostu1

When we were kids I remember our mam gritting the paths with ash and clinker from the fire, myself and some neighbours did the same, we hadnt huge amounts what with central heating but it certainly helped. I gather the next few days is supposed to be worse

• Registered Users Posts: 1,783 ✭✭✭maglite

Discostu your not suggesting illegally dumping your left over waste incineration on a public high way:eek::eek::eek::D

As for the people who say no one has fallen, I fell and have had a sore knee for most of a week. I view this as my own fault it was ice and I slipped. I do think there could have been better choice of which foot paths were gritted but I could have detoured around on paths that were gritted.

I see more of a problem with people who had water running out of their drives freezing and not taking care of it.

For those interested in personal responsibility Kartolla Microspikes, Petzel Spikys, Yaktrax Pro traction

• Closed Accounts Posts: 782 ✭✭✭Paul91

maglite wrote: »
    For those interested in personal responsibility Kartolla Microspikes, Petzel Spikys, Yaktrax Pro traction

http://www.climbers-shop.com/246638/products/Kahtoola_Microspikes.aspx?utm_source=Froogle&utm_medium=PriceComp&utm_term=Froogle&utm_content=None&utm_campaign=PriceComp1

http://www.petzl.com/en/pro/verticality/packs-and-accessories/accessories/spiky-plus

http://www.amazon.com/gp/customer-media/product-gallery/B001CZJBKC/ref=cm_ciu_pdp_images_0?ie=UTF8&index=0

cheers for this - will come in usefull when out with the dogs, was considering a sled or skies also :D if you don't mind might post this up in the animal threads

On Christmas Eve (mid-morning) I walked from Blackpool into the city centre. Six times my feet went from under me, mercifully, I managed to regain my balance each time. I was walking on busy streets, not backstreets, and I was stone cold sober.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 466 ✭✭discostu1

Discostu your not suggesting illegally dumping your left over waste incineration on a public high wayeek.gifeek.gifeek.gifbiggrin.gif

Not just suggesting it , advocating it, it helped get me out of my drive and several neighbours, some of whom are medical staff to work. Funnily with the rain the ash just seemed to disappear.Given the forecast and I agree you should only travel if necessary but some people HAVE to get to work, my motto would be whatever it takes

Advertisement