Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gritting the foopaths

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,417 ✭✭✭The Pontiac

I nearly slipped a few times myself. I was well prepared for the fall though, it's just the embarrassment of it. I can imagine if an older person fell they might be badly injured alright.

I saw a person jogging on one of the very frosty mornings before Christmas - this was 8am and it was absolutely lethal - I was struggling to keep the car on the road. I've no idea how she kept on her feet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,285 ✭✭✭BanzaiBk

discostu1 wrote: »
    When we were kids I remember our mam gritting the paths with ash and clinker from the fire,

The ashes really work well and spread out nicely. Most people with fires around where I live were spreading it on their paths and driveways.

• Site Banned Posts: 5,904 ✭✭✭parsi

maglite wrote: »

For those interested in personal responsibility Kartolla Microspikes, Petzel Spikys, Yaktrax Pro traction

I'd seen the Spikys demoed on German TV and they looked good.

Thanks for the tip about the ashes as well - now we've justification for not clearing out the fireplace.

A thought just struck me - if they reduced the Mayor's astronomical salary that would pay for a lot of overtime.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,783 ✭✭✭maglite

Just another note, mahers outdoors had the spikys. I'm sure they and other outdoor shops that carry petzl stuff can order them in..

• Advertisement

maglite wrote: »
    Just another note, mahers outdoors had the spikys. I'm sure they and other outdoor shops that carry petzl stuff can order them in..

How much are they?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,783 ✭✭✭maglite

€25ish

• Registered Users Posts: 1,301 ✭✭✭Flesh Gorden

Worst I've seen is outside the mothers house in Mayfield

one of the driveways crumbled and ended up with mains water leaking onto the road creating an ice slick around 2 inches deep in parts

I took pictures and emailed it off to most email address at city hall, I got a reply but still nothing done about it.
    Ice has melted since but haven't checked to see if they at least shut off the water

Seen a few people lose control on it but most where young learners in small cars who looked like they panicked a bit.
    Biggest idiot had to be the lady from a pet shop delivering a dog house,
    I could see a flat spot on her front tyre and unsurprisingly she had a very hard time even crawling up the park.

It's crazy how people don't have a clue about safety in this kind of weather

whether it be the right footwear or more importantly maintain their tyres and keeping the right pressures

I've been driving everyday since the cold snap hit and haven't had any twitches or skids
    and that's in an older car with no ABS ESP or any traction control devices other then my own feet.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 15,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭rebel girl 15

Worst I've seen is outside the mothers house in Mayfield

I took pictures and emailed it off to most email address at city hall, I got a reply but still nothing done about it.
    Ice has melted since but haven't checked to see if they at least shut off the water

Seen a few people lose control on it but most where young learners in small cars who looked like they panicked a bit.

It's crazy how people don't have a clue about safety in this kind of weather

whether it be the right footwear or more importantly maintain their tyres and keeping the right pressures

People seem to panic in these cold conditions and have no idea how to drive in them or walk in them. Should something be introduced about driving with ice, because it seems that the weather will be this bad from now on in winter (global warming etc)

Would it be possible for you to post one or two of those photos you took, sounds interesting to see?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,301 ✭✭✭Flesh Gorden

first pic is the driveway, you can see the water flowing onto the road
    and the damaged part that it's leaking from

1damagedfootpath-waterleaking.jpg

Pic 2 - normally the road is flat , top right where a car was parked
    you can see the difference in height between the ice and the unfrozen part

2SolidIcepic.jpg

Pic 3

3SolidIcepic.jpg

All solid ice apart from the part people drove through

• Advertisement

I knew I had an idea of where you were talking about Flesh. Place looked LETHAL for days. Good job on emailing those pix off.

I was watching the RBB Berlin Abendschau this evening and after the snowfall of the past few days it seems that many Berlin footpaths haven't been gritted either (as was the case when I lived there).

• Registered Users Posts: 429 ✭✭Dan Dare

Footpaths from city centre to Blackpool are very icy again, despite the thaw this morning.:mad:

The northside is like an ice rink. Be mindful of the Banduff Road - the river of water from the drains has completely iced over making the incline at either exits extremely dangerous.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,226 ✭✭✭taram

Walking from the train station entrance into town, saw a man slide on the incline there on the path before the tile places, he slid down the slope about 2 meters at the end, then crashed onto his face on the road, no control over his actions! Very scary. I just about managed to pick my way down that slope, couldn't walk on the road either because the drainage there meant there was ice all along the side :( V. scary!

Plenty of places where there's no ice, then there's somewhere shadowed and there's a deadly patch, had my heart in my mouth all the way home today, was convinced I was going to break my arm.

Worst place I've seen (and slid on!) is the hill in Cobh from the main town up towards the cathedral by the train station side by the Burma (if that makes sense :D), it doesn't seem to have defrosted since the cold snap started, the left hand side part today was so icy saw a dog step on it just across from where the steps start, and he slid all the way down around the corner!!

• Registered Users Posts: 13 Chatelaine

St Vincent's Bridge, at the top end of the North Mall, has been gritted and salted every day. Which is no use to me, as I don't have to cross it to go to work!

I've nearly nodded my head off at the comments about people taking more care when they're out and about in this weather - should have thought it was common sense, really. . . :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,088 ✭✭✭NoDice

I've been so grateful that bridge has been gritted! It's so icy and it's a slight slope so you'd go flying! I've to cross it every morning before eight like, it's freezing! :(

I think the barriers by the river on the North Mall are just not safe enough at all! There's ice all along the path and I was thinking the whole time "don't slip, walk slowly be acreful or you'll go right into the river". And just as I was thinking it I took a hopper and had to grab onto the railing, my leg went under the bottom one!! Never walking on that side of the road again!!

Up by Sunday's Well too has been shocking. There is absolutely nothing to hold onto and nothing up there has been gritted. For anyone not familiar with the hill - Think Patricks hill but a little narrower as a street. There's so many elderly people living around there, dunno how they're coping.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,835 ✭✭✭CamperMan

this useless ****in government thought they were smart saving money by not gritting the roads/pavements as often as they should have done... I would like to see what the cost to the HSE is now with so many people injured by slipping on the ice..., I broke my ankle and needed surgery due to slipping on the ice!

I reckon it would have been cheaper to ensure the gritters were out!!

• Registered Users Posts: 13 Chatelaine

NoDice wrote: »

I think the barriers by the river on the North Mall are just not safe enough at all! There's ice all along the path and I was thinking the whole time "don't slip, walk slowly be acreful or you'll go right into the river". And just as I was thinking it I took a hopper and had to grab onto the railing, my leg went under the bottom one!! Never walking on that side of the road again!!

Up by Sunday's Well too has been shocking. There is absolutely nothing to hold onto and nothing up there has been gritted.

The barriers on the North Mall are way too low to be safe in this weather - when the Corporation (as was) repaved it years ago I don't think they raised the barriers, or if they did they didn't raise them high enough. You were lucky there, I reckon!

Wyse's Hill is actually ok, even the very steep bit at the bottom. There's ice in patches on it but further up it's ok. Mind you, I keep in by the wall when I'm walking it :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,088 ✭✭✭NoDice

Ha yeah my boyfriend walks back that way from Apple and was telling me everyone was sitting down trying to slide down! He was also telling me how an old woman was trying to get into her house but kept slipping on the path so he helped her down the road, into her house and as she was thanking him he went flying into a near split!

this useless ****in government thought they were smart saving money by not gritting the roads/pavements as often as they should have done...

Have to agree with you too on that comment though. I was told they ran out of grit but as Chatelaine has stated they have been sorting out the bridge by the gate every morning without fail. Ballincollig is shocking in fact! You can't walk on the footpaths cause it's like a skating rink so people are walking on the roads which is obviously dangerous, especially since the cars are skidding too. As far as I know, nothing has been done at all out there regarding grit and most of the estates are on hills on the West end. One car was abandoned on it's side and all. It had skidded to the grass at the side of the road and the owner had left it with a note attached to explain with her contact info. This was over New Years and the guards were called and guess what? Still no grits. They were told by the council to buy their own rock salt and put it down if they're worried about their safety as they're "out of grit". Meh.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 292 ✭✭quoteunquote

I was walking home from the cinema last night and seeing all the drunk people slipping and sliding up to Hillbillies was fairly entertaining. Karma bit me on the arse for my lack of sympathy when I slipped and ended up smacking into a lamp post up by St. Finbarrs.

They had to cordon off the amphitheater and the steps up to the main restaurant in UCC a few days ago, seems like they didn't have enough salt to grit them.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,281 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

i'm sorry but it's hilarious the way some of you are describing your incidents of falling! I know it's not funny when it happens to you but "smacking into a lampost" "doing a split" - i have all sorts of crazy images in my head! LOL:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 90 ✭✭buckrodgers

Socks over your shoes - it really works! I laughed when someone told me but I tried it and it was brilliant. Still had to take care but it was much easier.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 482 ✭✭Steve01

Gritting the foopaths

Gritting the faux pas more like.
    *does dance*

foo fighters:pac:

Apologies for reviving an old thread.

In the Blackpool area the Council have done a much better job this year in gritting the pavements. However the footpaths around the Heiniken Brewery are in a shocking state. Nul points there.

We got a note in the door asking for 2 euro as a donation to pay for the anonymous note writer (for whom English is not the first language) to go to the Corporation on Wednesday to collect grit and salt.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,516 ✭✭✭Outkast_IRE

Socks over your shoes - it really works! I laughed when someone told me but I tried it and it was brilliant. Still had to take care but it was much easier.
    yup totally works the drier the socks the better i find , once they are soaked they arent as good.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,748 ✭✭✭Dermighty

cork1 wrote: »
    i heard from a Co. Council Worker that there is no grit left in their yards!!

This happened last Winter and they said that they wouldn't let it happen again.

Even Washington street is a f*cking deathtrap.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 15,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭rebel girl 15

Dermighty wrote: »
    This happened last Winter and they said that they wouldn't let it happen again.

Even Washington street is a f*cking deathtrap.

Ahm, the quote you have is a year old - check the date before posting :rolleyes:! And fyi there is plenty of grit, with more arriving on Wed and Christmas Day!!!

Most of the inner city is grand, I found today - afair only one side of Washington street was gritted, by the river - was last week anyway, so should have been okay. By the courthouse was dangerous alright I heard

Advertisement