Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wireless Network Issue

Options
  • 27-12-2009 10:55am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,510 ✭✭✭

Hey guys

Hoping to get some advice. I've a home wireless network set up at home and over the past few days the download speed and ping etc have gone to the dogs. I'm at a bit of a loss as to why and my ISP has been unable to provide much advice due to skeleton customer service staff etc.

My main query is, is it possible that there are now too many devices connected to the network and they are somehow throttling the speed? I recently added a PS3 and a netbook to the network. There was already 2 laptops, a PC, an internet radio, printer and Xbox 360 prior to this. I cant imagine that it would matter but since they've been added the slowness appears to have started.

Previously my download speeds were around 10Mbps with a ping of 20 - 40, now the download speed is around 0.45Mbps with a ping of around >300.

Any other ideas?

Cheers.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

No Isp will support the wireless network YOU setup inside YOUR house. If You suspect Your speeds are slow, use the netbook and bypass the wireless router and run a speedtest from there, then do another plugged into the router (not wireless).

Not a Belkin router by any chance?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,005 ✭✭✭ashleey

Maybe an IP conflict which is quite likely with several devices and your router set to assign IP addresses automatically. Check out my new thread about stability as it may solve your problem.

Advertisement