Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

Dublin 53 Degrees North, Most northly point on the planet not to get any snow!

• 27-12-2009 11:13am
    Registered Users Posts: 931 ✭✭✭

Dublin is aprox 53 degrees north and would appear to be the least snowly place for simular places on the planet at this latatude. While I am aware places in Canada would get a lot of snow, similar places at the same latutide in Europe would get alot more snow at certain times of the year.

Is Dublin really in a "Snow Shadow"

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,693 ✭✭✭Redsunset

Location Location Location................

Eh gulf stream,,,,surrounded by warm water,

most westerly point in europe etc etc etc

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Now if we could only get rid of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭Mobhi1

Do the islands of the west of British Columbia in Canada at the same latitude as us get more snow than us with the whole Pacific to their west? (Although seeing as how they have the whole of Canada to their east, maybe they do.)

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,951 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

I would even argue places on the same latitude in Ireland see more snow than Dublin. And as a whole despite the gulf steam to our west, the west of Ireland generally see's more snow than the east even tho were a few 100km further away from the gulf steam.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Yes they do. Very heavy snow there; ( I have people there)
    Mobhi1 wrote: »
    Do the islands of the west of British Columbia in Canada at the same latitude as us get more snow than us with the whole Pacific to their west? (Although seeing as how they have the whole of Canada to their east, maybe they do.)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭Danno

The Atlantic is not the problem for us getting snow, the problem is the Celtic Sea.

When a rain band from the west comes towards us, it draws up a southerly wind for some time ahead of the front.

In the UK, there is France to their south which keeps the upper air cold, making it much more likely for snow, especially when France itself is cold.

Ireland's own landmass kept it cold enough over NI for snow on Christmas day. If we had another island to our south of similar size we'd have much more snow events.

Anyone for land reclaimation!!! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,931 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

it seems to me while the west may get more snow overall, the east tends to get what i would call the epic events.

lucky feckers :mad :;)

• Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭IMBACKLATER

why do so many on here suffer from dublincentric.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,255 ✭✭✭anonymous_joe

Because lots of people live in Dublin?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,931 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

because the majority of forum users who love snow are from the east.anyway tis only natural you want snow in your own area and that often times means at the expense of others- unless we get a polar low whereby nearly everyone in the country wins.. for instance will Gonzo, Duiske, and wibber care if i don't see any snow this week. i think not and why should they really.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 931 ✭✭✭alentejo

Every other part of Ireland appears to get more snow in particular the west and south

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,831 ✭✭✭dloob

I'd say Galway city gets less snow.
    The Beasterly does nothing for Galway.
    Remember last february when Dublin had snow and traffic chaos in the easterly?
    Galway had cold blue skies not a single flake.
    Galway Bay acts as a very effective snow shield, in a northerly it's too far from the sligo coast, we just can't win.
    Maybe tuesday or wednesday eh?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,466 ✭✭✭Lumi

dloob wrote: »
    I'd say Galway city gets less snow.
    The Beasterly does nothing for Galway.
    Remember last february when Dublin had snow and traffic chaos in the easterly?
    Galway had cold blue skies not a single flake.
    Galway Bay acts as a very effective snow shield, in a northerly it's too far from the sligo coast, we just can't win.
    Maybe tuesday or wednesday eh?

Fingers crossed that we'll see something out of this. Just frost & freezing rain so far :mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,234 ✭✭✭sdanseo

I think we should sabotage the gulf stream. Let's all 4,000,000 of us get up to labrador with blowtorches and solve the snowless problem once and for all :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 411 ✭✭Wibbler

for instance will Gonzo, Duiske, and wibber care if i don't see any snow this week. i think not and why should they really.

It would give me a warm fuzzy feeling if you got snow this week Nacho *

* but only if I also get some :D

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,502 Mod ✭✭✭✭iamstop

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭Cú Giobach

alentejo wrote: »
    Every other part of Ireland appears to get more snow in particular the west and south
    :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,429 ✭✭✭testicle

redsunset wrote: »
    Location Location Location................

Eh gulf stream,,,,surrounded by warm water,

Yes, I realise this is a year old...

Dublin, well Ireland, is not the most westerly point in Europe. Portugal is.

testicle wrote: »
    Yes, I realise this is a year old...

Dublin, well Ireland, is not the most westerly point in Europe. Portugal is.

Well smartarse we are talking about 53 degrees north,anyway ZOMBIE THREAD lock it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 445 ✭✭_whiskers

Well smartarse we are talking about 53 degrees north,anyway ZOMBIE THREAD lock it

Why because you're wrong? He didn't resurrect it anyway :rolleyes:

• Advertisement

_whiskers wrote: »
    Why because you're wrong? He didn't resurrect it anyway :rolleyes:
    Wrong???
    Learn Longtitude and latitude before you answer like that.I know Portugal sticks out further.

Wrong, and if you know Portugal sticks out further why say it?

Wrong, and if you know Portugal sticks out further why say it?

I see im misunderstood.I should have wrote it more exact in the original.

The op was all about 53 degrees north so compared to other european countries Dublin is further.

I see im misunderstood.I should have wrote it more exact in the original.

The op was all about 53 degrees north so compared to other european countries Dublin is further.

Sorry if you thought I was attacking, I just felt you were a bit rude calling him smart arse when he was just making a point.:)I see where your getting at now.

Sorry if you thought I was attacking, I just felt you were a bit rude calling him smart arse when he was just making a point.:)I see where your getting at now.

I was in no way being rude and my apologies if it was perceived that way.
    Thats the trouble with reading text on a page.

I was in no way being rude and my apologies if it was perceived that way.
    Thats the trouble with reading text on a page.

Too true :)

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,385 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/7519614.stm
    At 77 Degrees South there are the McMurdo Dry Valleys of Antarctica where there has been no snow for the last 13.8 million years

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/McMurdo_Dry_Valleys
    The unique conditions in the Dry Valleys are caused, in part, by katabatic winds: these occur when cold, dense air is pulled downhill by the force of gravity. The winds can reach speeds of 320 km/h (200 mph), evaporating all water, ice and snow

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,578 ✭✭✭ciaran67

Mobhi1 wrote: »

Are you talking about Vancouver Island? If so, no not really. They get whats called the Pineapple Express from Hawaii. It just rains like cats and dogs all winter. Mount Washington on the Island get a fair bit of snow. The east gets Nor'easterners. Storms come into western Canada, head south into the States and sweep up to the NE again picking up all the cold air on the way usually dumping a hell of a lot of snow on the way.

And Grace, they're lying to you :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,553 ✭✭✭weisses

alentejo wrote: »
    Dublin is aprox 53 degrees north and would appear to be the least snowly place for simular places on the planet at this latatude. While I am aware places in Canada would get a lot of snow, similar places at the same latutide in Europe would get alot more snow at certain times of the year.

Is Dublin really in a "Snow Shadow"

pfffft Dublin and surroundings is winter/snow heaven compared to where i live... Haven't seen a single snowflake down here so far this year :D and i doubt there is gonna be any snow in the next cold/snow snap .... thank god

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,385 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

At our latitude places to the east of a large ocean get milder weather than those to the west. This effect is greater than that from the Gulf Stream. Though Vancouver lies near a warm current from Japan.

Advertisement