Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Villa V 'pool, a veritable six pointer.

• 27-12-2009 11:31am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,656 ✭✭✭dannydiamond

Aston Villa V Liverpool Villa Park Tuesday 29th December 7:45

[IMG]http://www.muchos.co.uk/members/dannydiamond/villa crest.jpg[/IMG] liverpool.jpg

This game is massive for both clubs,a veritable six pointer in the top four race.
    While Villa are on a good run and playing very well,this is a chance for back to back wins for Liverpool which could do wonders in itself.

I'm finding it very hard to call and I guess 'Pools chances depend on whether we "turn up" or not.
    Either way there's some quality on display here and it could be a cracker.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,391 ✭✭✭One Cold Hand

Jesus. At least wait til we play Arsenal first.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,680 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

Wow your starting this early danny. We'll see how villa get on today

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,442 ✭✭✭Bandit12

2-1 to the Villa with Liverpool to have another defensive howler. Liverpool to still finish top four mind you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,656 ✭✭✭dannydiamond

Meh, this is Liverpools next game,so I guess the Villa fans can wait 'til this afternoon.:)

Headshot wrote: »
    Wow your starting this early danny. We'll see how villa get on today

First thing I thought of when I woke this morning,how sad. Tbh I forgot Villa were playing today.:o Mods,feel free to lock until after the Arsenal game,to be fair.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,211 ✭✭✭Happy Monday

As a LFC fan I feel this is exactly the game we need.
    Go there, match them and beat them.
    If Vanilla can slip up today could be one of those slides some Vanilla fans know all about.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

The days extra rest might be the difference in itself. Will be interesting to see if MON rotates today or on Tueaday, or at all.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,879 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

mike65 wrote: »
    The days extra rest might be the difference in itself. Will be interesting to see if MON rotates today or on Tueaday, or at all.

in the sam way though do you expect both Aquilani and Torres to play another 90mins (i know Aqua only played 85) so soon after playing Wolves.

I do expect Kuyt to return to the startung line-up for this game too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,909 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Thread locked temporarily after discussion with OP.

Will re-open after the Villa/Arsenal game.

Cheers

EDIT: Ok knock yourselves out

Very surprised to see Villa so exposed at times during the second half against Arsenal,after a super defensive display in the first 45.

Admittedly they were up against a team playing some majestic attacking football but they didn't really have an answer.

This game will be completely different of course but i'd love to see Aqualani and Yossi start and 'have a go' so to speak (unlikely though I think).

• Advertisement

Its still only Monday!

Its still only Monday!

Well spotted Mike.;)

I did well to be honest, every day feels like Sunday right now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,983 ✭✭✭✭NukaCola

A Liverpool win will leave them just 2 points behind Villa. It seems crazy that after going through the worst spell in Rafa Benitez tenure at Anfield they are not far behind at all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,082 ✭✭✭✭Spiritoftheseventies

Very surprised to see Villa so exposed at times during the second half against Arsenal,after a super defensive display in the first 45.

Admittedly they were up against a team playing some majestic attacking football but they didn't really have an answer.

This game will be completely different of course but i'd love to see Aqualani and Yossi start and 'have a go' so to speak (unlikely though I think).
    Yes saw highlights of game. Hard to legislate against someone of Cesc's quality. Should be an intriguing clash tomorrow. We had some success down the flanks against Wolves but overall a bit worried about Torres's state of mind. Trying so hard for the team but frustration gets the better of him some time. Still only one goal short of becoming faster pool player to register 50 league goals so good luck to El nino.

Yes saw highlights of game. Hard to legislate against someone of Cesc's quality. Should be an intriguing clash tomorrow. We had some success down the flanks against Wolves but overall a bit worried about Torres's state of mind. Trying so hard for the team but frustration gets the better of him some time. Still only one goal short of becoming faster pool player to register 50 league goals so good luck to El nino.

We're going to need the same width against Villa, Arsenal repeatedly try to walk through the middle for 45 minutes but couldn't find anyway through.

Yesterday really highlighted for me just how important Milner has been for Villa this season,without him involved Villa look alot less potent going forward.

We're going to need the same width against Villa, Arsenal repeatedly try to walk through the middle for 45 minutes but couldn't find anyway through.

Yesterday really highlighted for me just how important Milner has been for Villa this season,without him involved Villa look alot less potent going forward.
    Must say I was impressed with Richard Dunne. But think that Friedel was a tiny bit weak for the free. Still a solid enough keeper.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,369 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

Must say I was impressed with Richard Dunne. But think that Friedel was a tiny bit weak for the free. Still a solid enough keeper.

the third goal was the only one where he maybe could've got down a touch quicker.

it was a classy finish from diaby.

still a fabulous keeper all-round though.

i'm very worried about tomorrow. it's a great chance to kick-start a run of good form against a very good Villa side.

i'll conservatively predict 1-1, with Torres getting his 50th.

my hopeful prediction is 1-2 liverpool, with a Torres double.

i just figure, no logic to it really, that we have to pull out a really good result again soon, and Stevie and Torres will surely get back to form at some point soon.

ugh. :o

SlickRic wrote: »
    the third goal was the only one where he maybe could've got down a touch quicker.

it was a classy finish from diaby.

still a fabulous keeper all-round though.

i'm very worried about tomorrow. it's a great chance to kick-start a run of good form against a very good Villa side.

i'll conservatively predict 1-1, with Torres getting his 50th.

my hopeful prediction is 1-2 liverpool, with a Torres double.

i just figure, no logic to it really, that we have to pull out a really good result again soon, and Stevie and Torres will surely get back to form at some point soon.

ugh. :o
    Yes Villa look to have a bit of mettle to them. Even saw Heskey pulling off a tackle in midfield. But Arsenal had them on the ropes in second half. Not beyond Pool to do it. If we can do it to United and chelsea then its not beyond us to do Villa as well. Would like to see Insua putting in some more quality crosses from the left like he did on St Stephens day.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,391 ✭✭✭One Cold Hand

I did well to be honest, every day feels like Sunday right now.

Morrissey fan?!?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,315 ✭✭✭Tomthepost

Yes Villa look to have a bit of mettle to them. Even saw Heskey pulling off a tackle in midfield. But Arsenal had them on the ropes in second half. Not beyond Pool to do it. If we can do it to United and chelsea then its not beyond us to do Villa as well. Would like to see Insua putting in some more quality crosses from the left like he did on St Stephens day.

We can do it to Utd and Chelsea too. We can also do it against you guys:D

To be honest I would take a draw as I feel that the fourth spot will be a fight to the death between Liverpool and Villa. Keeping a 5 point cushion will be more important than taking a risk to look for the 8 point gap and finishing just 2 ahead.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,631 ✭✭✭✭Hank Scorpio

score draw i think!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,175 ✭✭✭Paulegend

boring boring villa:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,315 ✭✭✭Tomthepost

Paulegend wrote: »
    boring boring villa:D

Not at all. Just a show of respect to a team with two good players:D

How big a loss will Ashley Young be. Bit of a silly yellow he gave away against Arsenal. Have a feeling O Neill will start with Carew in a bid to capitalize on our well documented problems with zonal defending this season. I expect Villa will put in a lot of crosses into Carew.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,661 ✭✭✭✭Helix

How big a loss will Ashley Young be

not much

hes been dreadful all year

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,225 ✭✭✭Chardee MacDennis

How big a loss will Ashley Young be. Bit of a silly yellow he gave away against Arsenal. Have a feeling O Neill will start with Carew in a bid to capitalize on our well documented problems with zonal our defending this season. I expect Villa will put in a lot of crosses into Carew.

fyp...;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,905 ✭✭✭✭Handsome Bob

I see the bookies aren't being mugs on this one, says it all about our season really. Not going to bother with a prediction, all I'm hoping for is that Liverpool play well.

Its about even which is quite right.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭Krusader

Torres once said that the Villa defence were the toughest he's played against in the Prem, lets hope thats the same tomorrow aswell.
    Don't think we'll miss A. Young too much as he was brutal on Sunday, may miss him on free kicks though. Milner may be dragged wide to replace him which could weaken the centre for us

this is ridiculous. the only player that would get into the liverpool team from villa is prob ashley young. villa are playing above expectation and thats all. they are not in a position where they should be. they are having a great season. an upward blip if you will.

this is ridiculous. the only player that would get into the liverpool team from villa is prob ashley young. villa are playing above expectation and thats all. they are not in a position where they should be. they are having a great season. an upward blip if you will.

I'd take Dunne in a heartbeat right now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,951 ✭✭✭DSB

Stephen Warnock, Richard Dunne, James Milner, Ashley Young would all be first choice players at Liverpool, without doubt. Glen Johnson, Steven Gerrard and Fernando Torres would all be first choices at Villa, no doubt. Think its hard to say between Agger and Cuellar, and Benayoun and Downing, and in other positions there aren't like for like due to different ways of playing football.

You can harp on all you want about these Liverpool players being better because they're bigger names, but Villa's excellent form over the last 3 years is no coincidence.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,153 ✭✭✭everdead.ie

Milner has been a revelation since moving into centre mid I think he'd make most midfields especially with his versatility and carragherhas been having a mare of a season cuellar or dunne on current form would be there ahead of him

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,957 ✭✭✭The Volt

How many of Liverpool's players would get in the Villa team in your opinion? Reina and Torres. Gerrard too but not on this season's form. That's it

• Advertisement

Voltwad wrote: »
    How many of Liverpool's players would get in the Villa team in your opinion? Reina and Torres. Gerrard too but not on this season's form. That's it

Benni ?

Headshot wrote: »
    Benni ?
    Instead of who?

DSB wrote: »
    Stephen Warnock, Richard Dunne, James Milner, Ashley Young would all be first choice players at Liverpool, without doubt. Glen Johnson, Steven Gerrard and Fernando Torres would all be first choices at Villa, no doubt. Think its hard to say between Agger and Cuellar, and Benayoun and Downing, and in other positions there aren't like for like due to different ways of playing football.

You can harp on all you want about these Liverpool players being better because they're bigger names, but Villa's excellent form over the last 3 years is no coincidence.

warnock couldnt keep first team at liverpool when we pushed him out the door. insua is younger and a much better prospect.

dunne would be a liability at liverpool because he is pushing on and we are trying to make are defence younger since we will have to ship out carra soon enough(couple years).

milner aint as good as reira or yossi. my opinion. im sure others would disagree. but yossi offers more flair and reira is great at taking full backs out of position.

i said ashley would get first team at liverpool.

Cuellar i wouldnt take as i think skertl and agger are solid and will get alot better. agger has pace and is good on the ball. also has a good long shot. skertl has great heading ability and is strong. bullies strikers which i like.

downing is one dimensional and but like reira he has pace(albeit more) and takes full backs out of position. but is weak defensivly. why would liverpool take that type of player that we already have and can only play one position and is weaker than the player we have?

Johnson, Benayoun (definitely ahead of Downing) and Mascherano. unless people all of a sudden think Milner is a better CM than him.

Milner would play out wide in a merger of the teams.

Instead of who?

this seasons A. young ?

• Advertisement

Instead of who?

milner or downing???

torres would get in as would gerrard as would johnson as would masherano as would reina

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

Blips happen for a couple of games. Villa's form and their players form have been for half a season. It's form.

DSB wrote: »
    but Villa's excellent form over the last 3 years is no coincidence.

ok ye have had a great start 2 seasons in a row!!!!!!! thats it. ye didnt keep it up last year and ye wont this year

milner or downing???

torres would get in as would gerrard as would johnson as would masherano as would reina
    Said Reina and Torres already ;) Gerrard on form would walk into any team but not so far this season.

Milner's been outstanding and while Benayoun has done well too, he'd have a chance of getting in ahead of Downing but not Milner. Villa have a right back who can defend a lot better than yours can so I don't think Johnson is O'Neill's kind of player. Given that he lets his wingers almost act as second strikers, Johnson would not get into the Villa team IMO.

Mascherano is a war-horse but I have doubts about his ability to pass the ball. Again, over-rated.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,153 ✭✭✭everdead.ie

Score draw tomorrow i think 1-1

Mascherano is a war-horse but I have doubts about his ability to pass the ball. Again, over-rated.

overrated or not, do you reckon he'd not get ahead of Sidwell, Petrov, Reo-Coker, Downing or an, as yet in his infancy at CM at this level, Milner?

villa havent even come close to reaching their potential yet. nowhere close by a longshot.

i think people who dont watch very much of us are under this impression that we overachieve, we dont. truth be told we're capable of a LOT better than people have seen so far

id argue we've been underachieving based on the quality of the team

SlickRic wrote: »
    overrated or not, do you reckon he'd not get ahead of Sidwell, Petrov, Reo-Coker, Downing or an, as yet in his infancy at CM at this level, Milner?
    For some games yes. I would have him in away from home mostly, most home games he wouldn't be of as much given his lack of technical and passing ability. Petrov is important to the way Villa play.

Anyway my main point is that this bloke is not showing Villa the respect they deserve

his lack of technical and passing ability.

myth.

but you are right, very often Villa don't get the credit they deserve for what is a very good squad.

For some games yes. I would have him in away from home mostly, most home games he wouldn't be of as much given his lack of technical and passing ability. Petrov is important to the way Villa play.

Anyway my main point is that this bloke is not showing Villa the respect they deserve

mascherano is twice the player stan is, and with a better engine too

• Advertisement
Advertisement