Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Villa V 'pool, a veritable six pointer.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

When was the last time a team has pushed for the title without being top 4 the previous year fact is you can't attract certain players without champions league football. That is why 4th is so important for every team involved in it.

Thought Villa looked the better team (in the highlights i saw i cant judge on anything else) a very cruel way to lose a game

Yeah but this is just the money argument I touched on earlier. There's no glory in it really, is there? Surely the real glory is winning things.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,153 ✭✭✭everdead.ie

Yeah but this is just the money argument I touched on earlier. There's no glory in it really, is there? Surely the real glory is winning things.
    not completly look at the daft money citeh offered kaka and he decided to stay put its about champs football too to a good degree

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

flahavaj wrote: »
    There were very few people expecting Villa to be doing as well as they have when City went on their spending spree.

If anything O' Neill is doing great to be achieving parity with them by your logic of comparing expenditure.

Rafa's getting the criticism he deserves for how massively liverpool have undershot the expectations that you and every other liverpool fan had for them this season. And rightly so IMO.

O' Neill is doing slightly better than expected. Even if top 4 was expected of him pre season (which I really don't think it was) hes doing exactly that, challenging for it.

Agreed, but I'd say most gave them a chance of a top 6 finish. Never mind the Top 4, the Top 6 is up for grabs.
    All this talk of the top four place and you all seem fairly certain that the top 3 is crystal.

I'm not so sure, I can see Arsenal getting dragged into a fight too tbh.
    That'd leave, Liverpool,Arsenal,Villa,Spurs and City fighting for 2 spots in theory.

The title race could lose alot of glory to this battle imo, it's certainly more interesting.

It's still December which is lost on many on this board. One of those top 3 will fall off, I'd say Arsenal, but Chelsea could well be looking over their shoulder come the end of January.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 9,648 Mod ✭✭✭✭mayordenis

flahavaj wrote: »
    I may be mistaken but I dont think any United fans have said this?

Also FYP.:)

Sorry your not mistaken in the least - it tends to be coming from fans of other sides, didn't mean that to come across in my point - think you read what you wanted to read you argumentaive bol.....:pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,656 ✭✭✭dannydiamond

Surely though the interest is only because most fans are sick of the top four's monopoly in recent years?

And the fact that the struggle to break up this monopoly could be viewed as more interesting than the struggle to win the title is a pretty sad reflection on the Premier League itself.

There was a discussion on this on Sky a few weeks ago about how nowadays the race for the top four is taking precedence over glory in cup competitions when at the end of the day you win nothing for finishing fourth. As Andy Gray said in his day the aim in your career was to win a medal whereas nowadays a lot of players will look back on their career and point to the top four finishes they achieved.

Don't you find that a pretty depressing reflection on the modern game? I do.

You're contradicting yourself.

Of course it's all about winning the league and rightfully so but the reality is that because of the usual two horse race more fans have an interest in the champions league spots.
    It's only natural really.

The cup competitions should and always have been a seperate thing ,but in the modern game the european cup placings in the league often dictate the side a team will field in a cup game.

Saying the battle for champions league places is all about the money is a mockery of the fans who want to see their club in the biggest cup competition of them all,and ergo a lack of ambition for 'glory',although I suspect you didn't mean it that way.

K-9 wrote: »

It's still December which is lost on many on this board. One of those top 3 will fall off, I'd say Arsenal, but Chelsea could well be looking over their shoulder come the end of January.

As could United,and i'm not joking.
    My point was that to label a fight for fourth is pure folly.
    Forth,third and even second are still in the mix,to a certain extent.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

not completly look at the daft money citeh offered kaka and he decided to stay put its about champs football too to a good degree

Obviously Champions League football is important, I'm not suggesting it's not, but what I'm saying is the signfiicance placed on it by the likes of Sky and others is a means to an end. It is a way to engineer interest in a league that is looking like a 3 horse race at best at this present stage.
    You're contradicting yourself.

Of course it's all about winning the league and rightfully so but the reality is that because of the usual two horse race more fans have an interest in the champions league spots.
    It's only natural really.

The cup competitions should and always have been a seperate thing ,but in the modern game the european cup placings in the league often dictate the side a team will field in a cup game.

Saying the battle for champions league places is all about the money is a mockery of the fans who want to see their club in the biggest cup competition of them all,and ergo a lack of ambition for 'glory',although I suspect you didn't mean it that way.

I don't see how I'm contradicting myself. As I said above I understand the importance of being in the Champions League but what I am saying is there is no real glory in it. There is no 'prize' for getting fourth other than money for the club's coffers and the place in the competition itself. It is a race more out of fear of not being in there, than about getting in there at all if you understand me.

I expect Liverpool to reach the top four, but years from now you will not give a toss that the club made it there. You would however care about an FA Cup win in 2010 because that is true glory, and I suspect the players themselves would admit this privately.

'The race for the top four' is a media hyped battle arising out of financial consequences for those not getting in there. It's about money.

It's about money.

I can assure you for the fans it's not all about the money.

I see your point about the 'glory' aspect of it all, and that's what football's all about, but you have to be in all the competitions to have a chance of it.
    We're not really disagreeing really, you'll understand when United finish fifth.:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

As could United,and i'm not joking.
    My point was that to label a fight for fourth is pure folly.
    Forth,third and even second are still in the mix,to a certain extent.

True, but I'm sure we all know United usually have their "crisis" around this time of year!
    Obviously Champions League football is important, I'm not suggesting it's not, but what I'm saying is the signfiicance placed on it by the likes of Sky and others is a means to an end. It is a way to engineer interest in a league that is looking like a 3 horse race at best at this present stage.

I don't see how I'm contradicting myself. As I said above I understand the importance of being in the Champions League but what I am saying is there is no real glory in it. There is no 'prize' for getting fourth other than money for the club's coffers and the place in the competition itself. It is a race more out of fear of not being in there, than about getting in there at all if you understand me.

I expect Liverpool to reach the top four, but years from now you will not give a toss that the club made it there. You would however care about an FA Cup win in 2010 because that is true glory, and I suspect the players themselves would admit this privately.

'The race for the top four' is a media hyped battle arising out of financial consequences for those not getting in there. It's about money.

Have your team ever been involved in a scrap for the 4th place?

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,407 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

All this talk of the top four place and you all seem fairly certain that the top 3 is crystal.

That'd leave, Liverpool,Arsenal,Villa,Spurs and City fighting for 2 spots in theory.

The title race could lose alot of glory to this battle imo, it's certainly more interesting.

And definitely more important from a financial perspective.

As I said after the win at Old Trafford, O'Neill is far too conservative and limited tactically. His teams concede way too much ground and possession when it counts. The earlier posts in this thread about the media bias he enjoys are spot on.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,407 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

Using this image now for all poor windups on Liverpool match threads

cartoonbird2.jpg

Bookmarked, cheers. I'm always in the market for some useful stock photos.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,519 ✭✭✭✭noodler

Disappointed with O'Neil's comments a little.

Stuff like "Should have been out of sight". Ignoring the peno and Gerrard chance.

All I can think of is the Downing sitter and Gabby's shot from an angle.

Anyway, they were unlucky to lose

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,369 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

O'Neill's talking sh*te, and i'm usually a fan.

anyway...

i've not read through the thread, but that was sh*te of the highest order.

from both teams.

Liverpool did well from defence to midfield, with Lucas in particular seeming to control things for long periods...yes i said it....lucas! plus he was the only one managing to get passes through to the front two really. however rare that was.

but for all our possession in midfield, and looking tidy 50 yards from goal, our ability to get service to Gerrard and Torres was embarrassing.

Kuyt is Kuyt. he can barely control his bowels nevermind a football, so any attack that came near him generally ended there.

but Benny also had a nightmare. there was a sequence in the 1st half where he tried three forward passes in the space of 30 seconds, and every one of them was sh*te. he needs to get in gear again, because however reliant we are on Gerrard and Torres, at least an in-form Benny would give us something else.

yes, we were away from home, but i cannot for the life of me believe that we still can't get the ball to Gerrard in space, or support the two of them adequately in attack. Torres is so isolated all the time it's frightening. it is funny how he repeatedly ignores any runs Kuyt does make though. i counted at least three tonight :)

thank God for Torres, but it was a very lucky chance. you just knew Nando would score.

both sides had a minimal amount of chances, with Nando simply having the class to put his away.

we're not out of the woods yet. it was a cr*p enough performance apart from our ability to keep the ball in midfield. we still can't defend crosses, and we still look clueless in attack bar 'give the ball to Torres as fast as you can.'...not a bad tactic mind, but he can't beat 3/4 players every time. :cool:

looking at City, Villa, Spurs and ourselves, it's going to be quite a race for that 4th spot.

i dare someone to claim we can win the title....

:P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,519 ✭✭✭✭noodler

SlickRic wrote: »

anyway...

from both teams.

Liverpool did well from defence to midfield, with Lucas in particular seeming to control things for long periods...yes i said it....lucas! plus he was the only one managing to get passes through to the front two really. however rare that was.

but for all our possession in midfield, and looking tidy 50 yards from goal, our ability to get service to Gerrard and Torres was embarrassing.

Kuyt is Kuyt. he can barely control his bowels nevermind a football, so any attack that came near him generally ended there.

but Benny also had a nightmare. there was a sequence in the 1st half where he tried three forward passes in the space of 30 seconds, and every one of them was sh*te. he needs to get in gear again, because however reliant we are on Gerrard and Torres, at least an in-form Benny would give us something else.

yes, we were away from home, but i cannot for the life of me believe that we still can't get the ball to Gerrard in space, or support the two of them adequately in attack. Torres is so isolated all the time it's frightening. it is funny how he repeatedly ignores any runs Kuyt does make though. i counted at least three tonight :)

thank God for Torres, but it was a very lucky chance. you just knew Nando would score.

both sides had a minimal amount of chances, with Nando simply having the class to put his away.

we're not out of the woods yet. it was a cr*p enough performance apart from our ability to keep the ball in midfield. we still can't defend crosses, and we still look clueless in attack bar 'give the ball to Torres as fast as you can.'...not a bad tactic mind, but he can't beat 3/4 players every time. :cool:

looking at City, Villa, Spurs and ourselves, it's going to be quite a race for that 4th spot.

I completely agree with what you said about Torres. Sometimes it seems to me that he simply takes on too much and ends up ruining a good run by taking on to many or not laying it off (to Kuyt in particular).

Maybe it is a lack of confidence in the teammates but it is a worry. We have got to sort out a way to get Torres more support. I think Kuyt is playing too deep too often for a start.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

I just caught the last half an hour of this one I though Villa were slightly the better team. Their defence messed up for the Goal.

Liverpools confidence should be growning after their two wins.Tottenham next , I will be interested to see if their performance improves, A win against Tottenham should see them starting to move up the table and give another confidence boost.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,082 ✭✭✭✭Spiritoftheseventies

Yes O Neill was in some state after that Torres goal. Seems as if his whole season was resting on that one result. But yes i think its highly significant. Our problems haven't gone away and I think Carra is still struggling. A good win over Reading is what we need now to get us in proper spirits for the big game with Spurs who present us with a whole new set of problems. A very attractive team and Defoe will take some watching on the day.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,247 ✭✭✭ROCKMAN

The Muppet wrote: »
    I just caught the last half an hour of this one I though Villa were slightly the better team. Their defence messed up for the Goal.

Liverpools confidence should be growning after their two wins.Tottenham next , I will be interested to see if their performance improves, A win against Tottenham should see them starting to move up the table and give another confidence boost.

In Fairness.. I watched the whole game , AND Liverpool where the better team for the first Half and a lot of the second half , they ran the show all over the pitch and where only let down by some questionable passing in the final third , Villa only seem to get back into the game in the last 20-15mins and did in fairness look to push on and seemed IMO more likely to find a winner in the last few minutes,
    However 1 slip up and a lucky breaking ball , Falling to Torres of all people and its good night ,As I said last the one player on the planet that you don't want to see that ball break too

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,548 ✭✭✭Draupnir

Watched this last night and had actually been looking forward to it most of the day but was left a bit disappointed to be fair, some poor passing on display from both sides but you can excuse that with the weather somewhat.

On one hand, Benayoun gave the ball away so much in the first half it was unreal, I really rate him so I was shocked, at one stage he tried to play Gerrard in but the pass was crap, camera cuts to Gerrard giving out, Benayoun gets the rebound and tries the through ball again only the pass was even worse!!

For Villa, Milner looked very good at times and at other times he was hoofing it into space for nobody on a night with snow in the air and ice on the ground! Agbonlahor looked very strong on the ball but his finishing was awful.

What really annoyed me was the pro Liverpool spin Andy Gray was putting on the whole thing, I didn't think Villa sat back to defend constantly but that was the impression he was giving. I felt Villa were playing counter attack football which to be fair, is the most implemented tactic in European football right now and always has been in South American football.

Dunne made some woeful errors and Cuellar looked seriously unsteady aswell, not sure that defensive partnership can go the whole season without costing Villa 4 to 6 points on their own with blunders. Gerrard was poor enough but still dangerous and a threat, similarly to Rooney for United.

I thought Reo Coker was probably the best midfielder on the pitch last night, he had a smashing game whereas Aquilani looked badly off the pace, I think he needs a few more games yet.

Overall, the best thing on display last night was the goalies! Probably two of the top 3/4 keepers in the league. Downing should have scored with that volley though, even if there were 3 keepers in!

Yes thought Dunne went in a bit heavy with some tackles and really that should have been a penalty in first half. But it was a blessing in away because we would have probably sat back after that.
    Johnson getting injured is the last thing Rafa needs at the moment but the good news is we should have Kelly back later in January

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,442 ✭✭✭Bandit12

SlickRic wrote: »

anyway...

from both teams.

I claimed that weeks ago and nothing i've seen from the other teams has changed my mind. The overall lack of quality in the league this season means any one of Chelsea,Liverpool,Arsenal,Mancs,Spurs and City have a chance of the title. People will laugh at that but all those sides have flaws that will mean they will lose games a plenty that will mean it's wide open.

Bandit12 wrote: »
    I claimed that weeks ago and nothing i've seen from the other teams has changed my mind. The overall lack of quality in the league this season means any one of Chelsea,Liverpool,Arsenal,Mancs,Spurs and City have a chance of the title. People will laugh at that but all those sides have flaws that will mean they will lose games a plenty that will mean it's wide open.

fyp.

Seriously, I know it's christmas and all.

rarnes1 wrote: »
    fyp.

Seriously, I know it's christmas and all.
    Never say never

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,175 ✭✭✭Paulegend

Villain wrote: »
    Or it could be he is just a Nice likable Irish fella :D

he is a complete bullsh!ter. he lies through his teath. villa deserved to be out of sight after a succession of reina saves!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! i can count on one hand how many times reina had to make a save. i can count those chances twice on one hand actually. Martin o neill is a pompus @ss. he will never be at liverpool.

Ha! Good one.

i dont see why arsenal cant get dragged into the top 4 battle. man city have a new manager with loads to spend in january and already has a squad that could compete for and premier division. spurs are in great form and with their wingers and strikers can score alot of goals. plus with a good manager. vailla have an all round great team i just wonder how they would do with a less devensive attitude. and liverpool are the same team(without alonso and arbeloa who are replaced with great looking players) that took united all the way last season. no way you can rule out the pool. arsenal have been underachievers the last couple seasons. i cant see them challenging for the title anytime soon. wenger is too stubourne to bring in a proper defender and keeper. there are villa arsenal spurs man city and the pool competing for 2 spots 3rd and 4th. in saying that if chelsea get back in form united will be dragged into the 2nd 3rd battle.(fingures crossed:D)

I find this an extraordinary comment.

You're not seriously suggesting that a battle for fourth place is more compelling than the race for the title? You don't win any medals for finishing fourth, regardless of the financial incentives. A year from now no one will care about the current battle for the top four. There is NO glory to it.

It is a battle that is driven by money.

its about entertainment!! simple as. in fact through uniteds dominant years the battle for 2nd and 3rd(later) was the one in focus
    noodler wrote: »
    Disappointed with O'Neil's comments a little.

Stuff like "Should have been out of sight". Ignoring the peno and Gerrard chance.

All I can think of is the Downing sitter and Gabby's shot from an angle.

Anyway, they were unlucky to lose

he really annoys me. how any villa fan thinks he is the messiah is beyond me. villa defended with 9 men and a keeper last night for the final 33 mins of the first half and for the first 25 mins of the second. and they where at home!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! challenge for the title eh?? get real!!

really funny how people say stuff like "i only seen the last hal;f hour but.............. villa where slightly better"???????????????????? you missed the other hour!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

in summary
    both teams played really bad and sloppy last night. in fairness it was a tight game. the weather didnt help. carew and yossi didnt wanna play at all. abonglahour looked excellent chasing ever ball. lucas was involed throughout and played a blinder. gerrard is coming back into form. torres was blocked out and took the chance when he got it. liverpool should have had a peno in the first half when dunne went straight in on kuyt. villa had 2 calls for penos but both would have been extremly harsh!!! it was a game where it was always going to end up been a sneaky goal that wins it. in all i think with liverpool attacking and villa just sitting all out defend i think liverpool deserved it more. slightly.

villa have a couple of games coming up that shoulnt trouble them with blackburn at home then away(fa and carling cup respectivly) then wigan away and west ham at home in the league. they should pick themselves up. they need to put wins together though or they will fade away fast from the 4th place battle. lot of competition this year and its about to heat up in january.

liverpool have a couple of games coming up also reading away in the fa cup shouold be a nice break from league duties. but they need to get back into focus for tricky games home to spurs and away to stoke. wolves away is after that and if they can get wins in those 3 league games it should set them up for a good finish to the season. remenber january is never good for liverpool under rafa.

end of season predictions
    1. Chelsea
    2. Man United
    3. Arsenal
    4. Liverpool
    5. Man city
    6. Villa
    7. Spurs

fa cup- City
    League cup- Villa
    Uefa- Liverpool
    Champions League- Barcelona or Inter milan

Championship- Newcastle. doing amazing this season. a year to get rid of overpaid flops, get finances stabilzed and gain some confidence. id say mid table premiership when they come back up. they wont go back down anytime soon.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 13,018 ✭✭✭✭jank

Paulegend wrote: »
    he is a complete bullsh!ter. he lies through his teath. villa deserved to be out of sight after a succession of reina saves!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! i can count on one hand how many times reina had to make a save. i can count those chances twice on one hand actually. Martin o neill is a pompus @ss. he will never be at liverpool.

i dont see why arsenal cant get dragged into the top 4 battle. man city have a new manager with loads to spend in january and already has a squad that could compete for and premier division. spurs are in great form and with their wingers and strikers can score alot of goals. plus with a good manager. vailla have an all round great team i just wonder how they would do with a less devensive attitude. and liverpool are the same team(without alonso and arbeloa who are replaced with great looking players) that took united all the way last season. no way you can rule out the pool. arsenal have been underachievers the last couple seasons. i cant see them challenging for the title anytime soon. wenger is too stubourne to bring in a proper defender and keeper. there are villa arsenal spurs man city and the pool competing for 2 spots 3rd and 4th. in saying that if chelsea get back in form united will be dragged into the 2nd 3rd battle.(fingures crossed:D)

its about entertainment!! simple as. in fact through uniteds dominant years the battle for 2nd and 3rd(later) was the one in focus

he really annoys me. how any villa fan thinks he is the messiah is beyond me. villa defended with 9 men and a keeper last night for the final 33 mins of the first half and for the first 25 mins of the second. and they where at home!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! challenge for the title eh?? get real!!

really funny how people say stuff like "i only seen the last hal;f hour but.............. villa where slightly better"???????????????????? you missed the other hour!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

in summary
    both teams played really bad and sloppy last night. in fairness it was a tight game. the weather didnt help. carew and yossi didnt wanna play at all. abonglahour looked excellent chasing ever ball. lucas was involed throughout and played a blinder. gerrard is coming back into form. torres was blocked out and took the chance when he got it. liverpool should have had a peno in the first half when dunne went straight in on kuyt. villa had 2 calls for penos but both would have been extremly harsh!!! it was a game where it was always going to end up been a sneaky goal that wins it. in all i think with liverpool attacking and villa just sitting all out defend i think liverpool deserved it more. slightly.

villa have a couple of games coming up that shoulnt trouble them with blackburn at home then away(fa and carling cup respectivly) then wigan away and west ham at home in the league. they should pick themselves up. they need to put wins together though or they will fade away fast from the 4th place battle. lot of competition this year and its about to heat up in january.

liverpool have a couple of games coming up also reading away in the fa cup shouold be a nice break from league duties. but they need to get back into focus for tricky games home to spurs and away to stoke. wolves away is after that and if they can get wins in those 3 league games it should set them up for a good finish to the season. remenber january is never good for liverpool under rafa.

end of season predictions
    1. Chelsea
    2. Man United
    3. Arsenal
    4. Liverpool
    5. Man city
    6. Villa
    7. Spurs

fa cup- City
    League cup- Villa
    Uefa- Liverpool
    Champions League- Barcelona or Inter milan

Championship- Newcastle. doing amazing this season. a year to get rid of overpaid flops, get finances stabilzed and gain some confidence. id say mid table premiership when they come back up. they wont go back down anytime soon.

Post of the year for knowing **** all about football, so much wrong with it I dont even know where to start. Dr. Liverpool fan I presume...:rolleyes:

he is a complete bullsh!ter. he lies through his teeth. Liverpool deserved to be out of sight after a succession of reina saves!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! i can count on one hand how many times reina had to make a save. i can count those chances twice on one hand actually.

Is this what you meant?

• Advertisement

jank wrote: »
    Post of the year for knowing **** all about football, so much wrong with it I dont even know where to start. Dr. Liverpool fan I presume...:rolleyes:
    apart from the final four of course

Is this what you meant?

?? yes MON was talking out his arse

what exactly is wrong wioth what i said. name one thing????
    apart from the final four of course

???? try to be more clear with your comments. how can i respond to this???????

:rolleyes: very much acting like united fans

?? yes MON was talking out his arse

???? try to be more clear with your comments. how can i respond to this???????

:rolleyes: very much acting like united fans
    Sorry we are on the same page dude. Meant you were right about the order of the final four. And yes I thought O' Neill was very bias in his comments about my beloved pool last night. they had maybe a five minute spell in second half where they threatened but otherwise we were on top.

and liverpool are the same team(without alonso and arbeloa who are replaced with great looking players) that took united all the way last season.

Whats funny about It, I made it clear I was commenting on the part of the game I saw , Strange that anyone could find that funny tbh.

Is it aquilanis physical appearance you are commenting on when you say "great looking players "because he has looked nothing but ordinary to me in what I have seen of him so far.

very much acting like united fans

As neither of them are united fans perhaps they are just acking like fans that have a clue.

Whats funny about It, I made it clear I was commenting on the part of the game I saw , Strange that anyone could find that funny tbh.

Is it aquilanis physical appearance you are commenting on when you say "great looking players "because he has looked nothing but ordinary to me in what I have seen of him so far.
    Pool posters, chill out. Dont let the others get to you. No more in fighting between us. We must stay united for next year. Its going to be a long season.

• Advertisement

im sorry you guys:D

"football friends??":)

Well you are saying that Arsenal will be dragged into the 4th place battle even though they were underachieving for the last few years and you hope that united get dragged into 3rd place battle so who are the top two? Liverpool and Chelsea?

Looks like you and MON have something in common cause I have no idea what the **** you are saying even though you are writing posts longer than anyone.:)

As neither of them are united fans perhaps they are just acking like fans that have a clue.

Well the fact he is already picking fights with his own bolds well for the future assembly line of precious liverpool fans.

At this moment in time, I think there is a far greater chance of United getting dragged back into a battle for 3rd/4th than Arsenal. At least Arsenal seem capable of blowing away the weaker sides.

I'm baffled by people who think Lucas played well last night, I felt he was rubbish, he is about as good a tackler as Scholes! Kuyt looked good for Liverpool, himself and Benayoun are the men you need ticking over.

Villa wise, Warnock looks okay but their back four is suspect with Young, Dunne and Cuellar all looking capable of a cock up. I thought Dunne was a bit unlucky with his booking but the tackle was fairly full blooded!

Well you are saying that Arsenal will be dragged into the 4th place battle even though they were underachieving for the last few years and you hope that united get dragged into 3rd place battle so who are the top two? Liverpool and Chelsea?

Looks like you and MON have something in common cause I have no idea what the **** you are saying even though you are writing posts longer than anyone.:)

no dude what im saying is arsenal can easily get dragged into the battle for 4th. united getting dragged in is just a wish:D

liverpool i have said will finish 4th. not because i think they are better than city villa and spurs this season but because they have the experience. villa city and spurs are aiming for an amazing season finishing 4th. to a club like liverpool, or even arsenal(last season) 4th is seen as a minimum. i never once said liverpool are in the top 2. i did say united will finish second. possibly fight it out with arsenal for 2nd. i dont have a crystal ball. all i ahev said is the battles for positions that i think will happen. i dont believe arsenal can last in the "title" race.

Well the fact he is already picking fights with his own bolds well for the future assembly line of precious liverpool fans.

Could be just like the old days ? Talking about the old days howdy draupnir. :)

Howdy! The old days indeed :D Des might get a new line for his signature!

In reality, Liverpool need to keep in touch and last night will count for a lot, I can see Mancini spending on a centre half, a central midfielder and a striker in January and while I feel it won't be enough to win the title it will certainly make it very difficult for the other teams to keep them out of the top 4 now.

Villa might have a few confidence issues after last night and the Arsenal game, they definitely need to win their next match well.

"Well the fact he is already picking fights with his own bolds well for the future assembly line of precious liverpool fans."

what a really annoying comment. at least liverpool fans have passion about their own team instead of focusing on their jealousy at still living in liverpools shadows. i mean liverpool havent won the league in 20 years yet united have only just caught up with us. and liverpool are still the most successful team.

Draupnir wrote: »
    Howdy! The old days indeed :D Des might get a new line for his signature!

Just keep away from that feedback forum, OK.:D

no dude what im saying is arsenal can easily get dragged into the battle for 4th. united getting dragged in is just a wish:D

liverpool i have said will finish 4th. not because i think they are better than city villa and spurs this season but because they have the experience. villa city and spurs are aiming for an amazing season finishing 4th. to a club like liverpool, or even arsenal(last season) 4th is seen as a minimum. i never once said liverpool are in the top 2. i did say united will finish second. possibly fight it out with arsenal for 2nd. i dont have a crystal ball. all i ahev said is the battles for positions that i think will happen. i dont believe arsenal can last in the "title" race.

It is your opinion that liverpool will finish 4th. What happened in 2005.Liverpool had the experience and everton did not but everton finished in the top 4.

Head in the sand attitude and one of the reasons why liverpool are in such trouble. If they finish 4th it will be a bigger achievement than winning the CL in my opinion. Instead of one team to beat there are now 3 teams.

Liverpool will be playing in the europa league this season and they will be doing the same next season with a new manager. Bookmark this if you want, i just cant see it any other way.

• Advertisement

"Well the fact he is already picking fights with his own bolds well for the future assembly line of precious liverpool fans."

what a really annoying comment. at least liverpool fans have passion about their own team instead of focusing on their jealousy at still living in liverpools shadows. i mean liverpool havent won the league in 20 years yet united have only just caught up with us. and liverpool are still the most successful team.

Why does an Arsenal fan care about the United and Liverpool circle jerk. Again the world does NOT revolve around this want feast!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 690 ✭✭✭givyjoe81

Just briefly read others posts about O'Neill saying they should have been out of sight, to be honest, any team playing such negative defensive football at home deserves to be suckerpunched like that. The amount of times Villa had ten men behind the ball was nuts. Looked like they were told just not to lose, bizarre seen as the won 3-1 at Anfield.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,872 ✭✭✭segadreamcast

Head in the sand attitude and one of the reasons why liverpool are in such trouble. If they finish 4th it will be a bigger achievement than winning the CL in my opinion. Instead of one team to beat there are now 3 teams.

What a silly way to make the comparison. Because Liverpool only had to overcome one team in that CL campaign, right? No semi, no quarters? If only it were like that every year.

I'm not saying you're wrong Jank, just that that's a silly rationale to base your observation on.

If they finish 4th it will be a bigger achievement than winning the CL in my opinion.

:confused:

Yeah, winning the biggest club competition is'nt as big an acheivement than finishing 4th in your demostic league.

Retarded post at best.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,879 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

< first villa fan to post for a few pages

Okay we lost but its not the end of the world, we are still in a good position and this is our toughest run of games all season with Spurs and Utd on the horizon also. It is important we pick up points against teams we would be expected to now (not that that means much for any team this season) but I dont think confidence will be hit too much. If people are expecting a Villa slump like last year I have to say I just dont see it. Last year our players were exhausted at this point having started their season in June iirc and playing a proper Uefa campaign in the midweek, we lost Laursen who was huge for us and had a cluod hanging over Barry. This season as a squad we are much improved and have options on the bench that can also offer something that we didnt have last if our players reach such a level of exhaustion again.

rarnes1 wrote: »
    :confused:

Yeah, winning the biggest club competition is'nt as big an acheivement than finishing 4th in your demostic league.

Retarded post at best.
    To be fair we have won that competition five times now. Nothing to prove on that front. But given our injury problems this year and Alonso's departure would say it would be a minor miracle if we get fourth.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,456 ✭✭✭kida

To be fair we have won that competition five times now. Nothing to prove on that front..

sure why bother playing any competiitons any more :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,109 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

To be fair we have won that competition five times now. Nothing to prove on that front. But given our injury problems this year and Alonso's departure would say it would be a minor miracle if we get fourth.

Minor miracle to get fourth? Thats a bit radical given that we're probably favourites for it, and are still only 4 points off it after our worst run of form for a long long time...

Minor miracle to get second, yes, but really miracles should not be required to close a 4 point gap with half a season remaining...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

What planet are you on?

• Advertisement
  • Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

Draupnir wrote: »
    What really annoyed me was the pro Liverpool spin Andy Gray was putting on the whole thing, I didn't think Villa sat back to defend constantly but that was the impression he was giving. I felt Villa were playing counter attack football which to be fair, is the most implemented tactic in European football right now and always has been in South American football.

Andy Gray putting a pro Liverpool spin on something? Are you for real? Andy Gray?

Pah.

Advertisement