Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Villa V 'pool, a veritable six pointer.

1101112131416»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,369 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

5starpool wrote: »
    Andy Gray putting a pro Liverpool spin on something? Are you for real? Andy Gray?

Pah.

i know.

apart from his man-love for Stevie, he pretty much hates us.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,680 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

SlickRic wrote: »
    i know.

apart from his man-love for Stevie, he pretty much hates us.

Does he ?

what does he say ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,548 ✭✭✭Draupnir

Honestly lads, I felt he was being pro Liverpool in his commentary last night, maybe he dislikes Villa more than Liverpool. His commentary on the game was rubbish either way.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,442 ✭✭✭Bandit12

Draupnir wrote: »
    Honestly lads, I felt he was being pro Liverpool in his commentary last night, maybe he dislikes Villa more than Liverpool. His commentary on the game was rubbish either way.

His commentary on football is rubbish but he has a particular dislike for LFC. Makes sense when he played for Everton like.

Headshot wrote: »
    Does he ?

what does he say ?

wow, you'll pick up on anything ;)

no particular proof, but he's an ex-Everton player, and i've honestly never heard him say anything particularly positive unless it's about Stevie.

last night's pro-Liverpool commentary came as a shock to me.

but in general, it's more an assumption than anything tbh.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

Bandit12 wrote: »
    His commentary on football is rubbish but he has a particular dislike for LFC. Makes sense when he played for Everton like.

He is an ex Aston Villa player also, with him having spent two spells at the club.

He gets spoken of like he was an Everton legend on Sky Sports. He only played 49 games with them. He was at Villa for longer and played more for Villa.

His second spell with Villa was a disaster though, and he may have ill feeling towards Villa after that. Personally it should be the Villa fans that have the ill feeling towards him given how crap he was with them during that second spell.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,082 ✭✭✭✭Spiritoftheseventies

Kess73 wrote: »
    He is an ex Aston Villa player also, with him having spent two spells at the club.

He gets spoken of like he was an Everton legend on Sky Sports. He only played 49 games with them. He was at Villa for longer and played more for Villa.

His second spell with Villa was a disaster though, and he may have ill feeling towards Villa after that. Personally it should be the Villa fans that have the ill feeling towards him given how crap he was with them during that second spell.
    and what was he like during their first spell. Got the golden boot with them in the mid seventies. A very honest player i felt.

and what was he like during their first spell. Got the golden boot with them in the mid seventies. A very honest player i felt.

And when he played with them in his second spell, he generally played like he did not want to be there with a record of a goal almost every eleven games or so.

That first spell at Villa was the last time he was anywhere near being a top player.

His time at Wolves, Everton, and Rangers gets blown out of scale when compared to what he actually did there as a striker.

Kess73 wrote: »
    And when he played with them in his second spell, he generally played like he did not want to be there with a record of a goal almost every eleven games or so.

That first spell at Villa was the last time he was anywhere near being a top player.

His time at Wolves, Everton, and Rangers gets blown out of scale when compared to what he actually did there as a striker.
    Well to be fair Rush had a quiet enough spell on his return to Anfield as well. But we remember his good days. And even with Everton, Gray was a handful. Would guess most defenders didnt like having to mark him. Was very in-your-face in the way he played.

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

Gray was assistant manager at Villa too for about 5 minutes before signing on at sky. It is that experience that gives him the right to tell managers why they are wrong the whole time as well, as long as they are not british managers that is.

• Advertisement

Gray a pioneer in TV Analysis

Well to be fair Rush had a quiet enough spell on his return to Anfield as well. But we remember his good days. And even with Everton, Gray was a handful. Would guess most defenders didnt like having to mark him. Was very in-your-face in the way he played.

Rush's good days lasted a hell of a lot longer than Grey's. Plus Rushie's quiet enough second spell with us was still about a goal every two and a half games.

wow, you'll pick up on anything ;)

no particular proof, but he's an ex-Everton player, and i've honestly never heard him say anything particularly positive unless it's about Stevie.

jebus I think ye are just paranoid tbh

paranoid.jpg

I've never known any analyst to say anything positive about the pool. Apart from Jockey Hansen who still has Stevie G's poster up on his bedroom wall.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 9,648 Mod ✭✭✭✭mayordenis

Nah he does find it very hard to do anything other than have a go at Liverpool, I don't have any particular evidence, althought I think it's a bit cheap to be asking for evidence of what we've listened to for 15 odd years, it's be a constant nagging, and him generally seeming to enjoy it when we lose.

mayordenis wrote: »
    Nah he does find it very hard to do anything other than have a go at Liverpool, I don't have any particular evidence, althought I think it's a bit cheap to be asking for evidence of what we've listened to for 15 odd years, it's be a constant nagging, and him generally seeming to enjoy it when we lose.

didnt he say last season that liverpool were his favourites for the title and he was saying the same line this season until Alonso left

that to me doesnt sound like someone who has a grudge against pool

Anyway a word from two liverpool legends

why would i bother being paranoid?

that'd be a bit futile.

i've already admitted his commentary was pretty pro-Liverpool last night, which surprised me.

it's just what i've noticed over the years.

just like Dunphy's fixation with Keane back in the day.

or Giles hating everything about modern football.

or Lou Macari using every excuse in the book when utd lose.

you just get to know someone's leanings over time, even if it's just on the telly.

why would i bother being paranoid?

that'd be a bit futile.

i've already admitted his commentary was pretty pro-Liverpool last night, which surprised me.

it's just what i've noticed over the years.

just like Dunphy's fixation with Keane back in the day.

or Giles hating everything about modern football.

or Lou Macari using every excuse in the book when utd lose.

you just get to know someone's leanings over time, even if it's just on the telly.

slick iv been listening to gray for years now and he has been neutral, its like some liverpool fans giving out about the sunday supplement saying its anti liverpool etc

its the mentality of some pool fans that everyone is against them

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,519 ✭✭✭✭noodler

Must say I have always felt Gray had a bit of a pro-pool element in his commentary of our games.

He does make zonal marking quips alot though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭Fromvert

As a Liverpool supporter, over the years I've always noticed Andy Gray to be quite pro Liverpool. Can't understand where people are getting that he's anti Liverpool.

its the mentality of some pool fans that everyone is against them

no need for this tbh.

maybe i'm just wrong?

it has been known to happen. ;)

If united fans feel he is telling things as they are about Liverpool, then chances are a lot of the pool fans think he is being biased against them, and the same for any set of opposing teams fans really.

One mans truth is another mans ridiculous statement.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35,514 ✭✭✭✭efb

noodler wrote: »
    Must say I have always felt Gray had a bit of a pro-pool element in his commentary of our games.

He does make zonal marking quips alot though.

Gray is pro anyone Sky tells him to!

If united fans feel he is telling things as they are about Liverpool, then chances are a lot of the pool fans think he is being biased against them, and the same for any set of opposing teams fans really.

thats crazy talk

Whatcha talkin' 'bout Willis?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

What a ridiculous statement.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

thats crazy talk

I'd have to bow to your surperior knowledge on that subject.:p

Gray is always pretty neutral IMO in that he normally praises the Team/Players that plays best and criticises those that don't.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

Gray was an Everton player for years. That says all you need to know. He also thinks he knows more than any manager out there and is unbelievably full of ****e. However, he is MASSIVELY pro Gerrard.

• Advertisement

Mr Alan wrote: »
    Gray was an Everton player for years. That says all you need to know. He also thinks he knows more than any manager out there and is unbelievably full of ****e. However, he is MASSIVELY pro Gerrard.

Welcome back AL, you were missed. :)

missed?

missed?

Were you away? I haven't seen you post much for a while.

Nah been around. Internet access in work has to be cut back a bit but still been on most days.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

Nah been around. Internet access in work has to be cut back a bit but still been on most days.

Ouch!!

doesn't bother me too much to be honest, like being kept busy in work. Day goes faster :) plus i did nothing but post here all day for too long

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,246 ✭✭✭Esse85

doesn't bother me too much to be honest, like being kept busy in work. Day goes faster :) plus i did nothing but post rubbish all day for too long

Fixed your error :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

Anyone who thinks Andy Gray was pro-Liverpool last night, just listen to his commentary when Torres scores.

As far as i know, he still has a fondness for Villa, still lives in Birmingham and he seems to hate Birmingham City,

Hey???? A quiet enough spell??? I completely disagree with this. When he came back, he stayed for eight years. I'm not sure of his goal tally, maybe someone can find it, but he was banging in the goals for us, including the 1989 & 1992 FA Cup final victories whilst captaining us to League Cup victory in 95.

If Rush's second spell at the club was a quiet one, then i hope Torres' one is as silent as a mute monk who sleeps in a soundproofed room in an monastery somewhere!

The Muppet wrote: »
    Welcome back AL, you were missed. :)
    missed?

With every bullet so far Al :pac: :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,175 ✭✭✭Paulegend

monkey9 wrote: »
    Hey???? A quiet enough spell??? I completely disagree with this. When he came back, he stayed for eight years. I'm not sure of his goal tally, maybe someone can find it, but he was banging in the goals for us, including the 1989 & 1992 FA Cup final victories whilst captaining us to League Cup victory in 95.

If Rush's second spell at the club was a quiet one, then i hope Torres' one is as silent as a mute monk who sleeps in a soundproofed room in an monastery somewhere!

technicall he did have a quite one if you consider he score 90 in 245 apps and his first spell was 139 in 224 apps:D

but he never had a "quite spell"

• Advertisement

He did often have quite a spell though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,519 ✭✭✭✭noodler

monkey9 wrote: »
    Anyone who thinks Andy Gray was pro-Liverpool last night, just listen to his commentary when Torres scores.

As far as i know, he still has a fondness for Villa, still lives in Birmingham and he seems to hate Birmingham City,

So?

It was a smash and grab tbh. I for one am saying he has a slight bias. I am not saying he is wearing Liverbird goggles or anything - I'd hardly expect him to say something like "a deserved Liverpool winner" despite what we all saw with our eyes last night.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,175 ✭✭✭Paulegend

Andy Gray HATES Liverpool. he reluctantly says good things at times but by in large he will say something like "(x payer) did well in that move he really can hit them. why cant more liverpool players step up like that. it really shows a lack of ambition" bla bla bla. im not sure if its just because he doesnt agree with any of rafas decisions or the fact he loves sir alex.

He spent two seasons with Everton, and scored 14 goals in those two seasons. Hardly a player who was with them for ages, and hardly a player that was top class there. They got rid fairly quickly when Lineker became available to buy.

Most of his "legendary" status as an Everton player has come through self promotion whilst as a tv pundit, and has pretty much seeped into people's perception of him.

When I think of the top Everton players of the 1980's, and there were a hell of a lot of class Everton players back then, he is never on my list.

I think the scary thing about him now is that he is no longer a wind up merchant in what he says, but actually believes that a lot of the cliche ridden garbage that he spouts is fact.

i was actually aware of how long he was there.

shame on me, i read his autobiography :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,905 ✭✭✭✭Handsome Bob

****ing hell Al, next you'll be telling us you'll be willing to buy Paul Merson and Ronnie Whelan autobiographies. ;)

i was actually aware of how long he was there.

:eek:

Advertisement