Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Villa V 'pool, a veritable six pointer.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,420 ✭✭✭Doodee

Interesting enough I was chatting to an Italian friend of mine who is saying that Liverpools form is a result of loosing faith. This is down to rumours that Barca, Inter et al are after Gerrard who will more than likely leave if Liverpool have a poor season. There is also the question mark over Torres on weither he will be in England next season.

I know this might not have a huge baring on the match but I do think it would effect any kind of 'Bounce back' if the dressing room spirit is that bad.

I'm hoping that Villa score early and play sensibly. Really looking forward to this game tonight.

UTV

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,082 ✭✭✭✭Spiritoftheseventies

Doodee wrote: »
    Interesting enough I was chatting to an Italian friend of mine who is saying that Liverpools form is a result of loosing faith. This is down to rumours that Barca, Inter et al are after Gerrard who will more than likely leave if Liverpool have a poor season. There is also the question mark over Torres on weither he will be in England next season.

I know this might not have a huge baring on the match but I do think it would effect any kind of 'Bounce back' if the dressing room spirit is that bad.

I'm hoping that Villa score early and play sensibly. Really looking forward to this game tonight.

UTV
    For me losing Torres would be an absolute disaster. But I think it would be bad form of Torres to leave after three seasons. Would not hold it against Gerrard so much (if it were overseas) as he has been with us for a decade now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 690 ✭✭✭givyjoe81

Predicting a loss or defeat, its hard to see any other outcome, shocking so far this season, and another eye opener might finally open the eyes of other bling 'loony' supporters living la la land who dont realise just how far up sh1t creak we are... Takes breath. Then again when i keep such things to myself I tend to be right, its when i open my mouth i get it wrong... There, now iv covered myself from all angles.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,049 ✭✭✭Unearthly

Massive game. I'll go for the generic draw prediction.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,519 ✭✭✭✭noodler

Alot said in this thread alright.

Undeniable facts are that Liverpool deserve their Top Four 'label' because they have actually finished in that position or above regularly.

Also undeniable is that Villa have been the better team so far this season.

On a more personal note, I wouldn't be so sure of Johnson getting in the Villa team. Johnson has impressed in some home games where we had trouble breaking down stubborn mid-table opposition. However he has been injured a bit and imo has lacked a little defensively.

I am sure I will be viewed by some Livepool fans as being a bit harsh and it is probably unfair to single out one person when the whole team has had problems. However I wpuld have preferred him for home games and someone like Arbeloa in tougher away games.

Anyway that is a mute point, if we sort ourselves out and find ourselves (this season or next) in one of those situations at Anfield where we have all the ball and can't break through a stubborn opponent I still think Johnson could be absolutely crucial.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,971 ✭✭✭Holsten

We're total **** at the minute, 2-0 Villa.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 9,648 Mod ✭✭✭✭mayordenis

I think we'll manage to get firmly back on track tonight, think might be too strong a word, hope I guess.

0-8

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,983 ✭✭✭✭NukaCola

Win and 2 points behind Villa.....wouldn't be bad for a team gone through their worst run under their current manager...either way Liverpool will finish top 4, i'm not saying it'll be easy but i cant see them not doing it.

Liverpool to win by 2

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,879 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

Win and 2 points behind Villa.....wouldn't be bad for a team gone through their worst run under their current manager...either way Liverpool will finish top 4, i'm not saying it'll be easy but i cant see them not doing it.

Liverpool to win by 2

its not really how far behind Villa Liverpool are thats the problem its that they are talking about being behind Villa now instead of Chelsea or United, not to mention Arsenal. and lose and its 8 points behind just Villa.

still not all that confident myself though and think both teams will be relativley happy with a point when all is done.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,519 ✭✭✭✭noodler

I am almost happy it is away from home.

When is the last time we won at Villa Park by the way?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,983 ✭✭✭✭NukaCola

its not really how far behind Villa Liverpool are thats the problem its that they are talking about being behind Villa now instead of Chelsea or United, not to mention Arsenal. and lose and its 8 points behind just Villa.

still not all that confident myself though and think both teams will be relativley happy with a point when all is done.

I know, but at this stage the team have to get on with it and make the best of a bad situation, its disappointing but got to get the heads up and put a decent run of games together. Biggest two games of Rafas Tenure IMO, lose both and he'll have lost of pull he's had with the fans, apart from his most stubborn supporters.....

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 9,648 Mod ✭✭✭✭mayordenis

noodler wrote: »
    I am almost happy it is away from home.

When is the last time we won at Villa Park by the way?

Last season I think.

Edit I'm wrong actually it was the season before, it was on the first day of the season, I was there lol, controversial Gerrard free kick one it late on, I was in the Home End, had major issues staying queit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,661 ✭✭✭✭Helix

mayordenis wrote: »
    Last season I think.

0-0 last season

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,924 ✭✭✭shoutman

Really don't have a clue what is going to happen in this match...

With MON saying he is looking to change it up, it could mean anything.

I'm expecting us to line up 4-5-1, knowing that Pool probably feel they need to win this match more then we do. Downing on the left, Milner on the right.
    Gabby up front, Petrov, Reo-Coker and Sidders in midfield.

That or else Gabby on the right, Carew up top, with Siddwell staying on the bench as Milner stays in the centre of midfield.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

Small bet on Dunne anytime at 10/1

Carew playing up front should tell you what MON will be planning. A lot of high balls into penalty area. Ill say it again. our zonal defending is a problem. We stand off players from corners allowing opponents to attack the ball. Dont be surprised if Carew scores from header tonight.

Worth a go, I'm alway surprised when any of Villa's centebacks are given odds like this, maybe I just think they score more then they actually do....

Carew playing up front should tell you what MON will be planning. A lot of high balls into penalty area. Ill say it again. our zonal defending is a problem. We stand off players from corners allowing opponents to attack the ball. Dont be surprised if Carew scores from header tonight.

Did MON say Carew would start?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,129 ✭✭✭therokerroar

1-2 to Liverpool.

shoutman wrote: »
    Did MON say Carew would start?
    this from bbc website so just going on this. Would have thought O neill would be looking to expose our defensive frailties.
    TEAM NEWS

Aston Villa winger Ashley Young will miss his first league game of the season as he serves a one-match ban for picking up five bookings.

Emile Heskey is doubtful with a groin problem, so John Carew might start.

Dirk Kuyt can expect a return to Liverpool's starting line-up, having been rested for the Boxing Day home win over Wolves.

Javier Mascherano is still suspended, so Alberto Aquilani could play for the second time in three days.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 21,235 ✭✭✭✭flahavaj

Funny feeling Liverpool might get a handy enough win. Something about the way Villa capitulated in the second half against Arsenal gives me a bad feeling about their morale going into this.

I'm gonna say Villa 1-4 Liverpool.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,599 ✭✭✭Ferris_Bueller

I'll go 2-1 Villa, could really go either way though should be an interesting game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,153 ✭✭✭everdead.ie

this from bbc website so just going on this. Would have thought O neill would be looking to expose our defensive frailties.
    TEAM NEWS

Aston Villa winger Ashley Young will miss his first league game of the season as he serves a one-match ban for picking up five bookings.

Emile Heskey is doubtful with a groin problem, so John Carew might start.

Dirk Kuyt can expect a return to Liverpool's starting line-up, having been rested for the Boxing Day home win over Wolves.

Javier Mascherano is still suspended, so Alberto Aquilani could play for the second time in three days.
    Aqualani would surely be risking injury if hes to play twice in three days if he is as injury prone as hes ment to be and if he hasn't recovered properly/enough as rafa says

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭m83

2-0 Villa considering how Liverpool are struggling against much poorer opposition.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,658 ✭✭✭✭Peyton Manning

m83 wrote: »
    2-0 Villa considering how Liverpool are struggling against much poorer opposition.

Well then lucky for Liverpool that they're not playing much poorer opposition tonight then isnt it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,391 ✭✭✭One Cold Hand

Villa are 'much poorer' than Liverpool, are they?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

Villa are 'much poorer' than Liverpool, are they?

I love his location.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

K-9 wrote: »
    I love his location.
    What do you love about his location?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,464 ✭✭✭Ronan Raver77

You have your head in a plastic bag all season!!!!!!!!
    Form to date would show that Villa have played far better than liverpool and to class them poor opposition!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Villa for the win

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,658 ✭✭✭✭Peyton Manning

What do you love about his location?

His location includes the word "illusion". To think Aston Villa are much poorer than Liverpool would suggest that perhaps he misspelt "delusion" but still, allow us to have this chuckle, okay buddy?

Disappointed in ye rising to that lads in fairness, obvious as anything.:pac:

Archimedes wrote: »
    His location includes the word "illusion". To think Aston Villa are much poorer than Liverpool would suggest that perhaps he misspelt "delusion" but still, allow us to have this chuckle, okay buddy?
    No thought he was referring to your location. ie heart in Kilkenny, stuff in Belfast. No harm done on this occassion.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭m83

Just to clear things up.. I'M BACKING VILLA!

I should have said 2-0 'to' Villa.

flahavaj wrote: »
    Jesus i feel like Souness when he was ganged up on by Giles and Dunphy. So who have you managed?

Jesus i feel like Souness when he was ganged up on by Giles and Dunphy. So who have you managed?

Two and a half years posting on this site and I'm still alive BABY.:pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

I got a giggle out of it anyway. ;)

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,442 ✭✭✭Bandit12

Just to clear things up.. I'M BACKING VILLA!

I should have said 2-0 'to' Villa.
    Thank god for that

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,442 ✭✭✭Bandit12

Kess73 wrote: »
    Lots of silly arguements in this thread.

On current form Villa are the better team/squad so far this season. The league table does not lie on that.

As for which team will do better this season? I hope it is Liverpool but I cannot say for sure, and neither can anyone else on here say which team will finish the highest until we get to the end of May.

Some of the slagging about how Villa would call this their greatest ever season if they make the top four is laughable.

I am old enough to remember Villa as league champions and I can also remember them as Champions of Europe.

Villa area club with a great history, seven league titles, seven FA cups, a European cup and various other silverware says that.

Ok the newer generations of Villa fans have been a bit starved of genuine silverware, but us Liverpool fans should have an understanding of how it feels to go a long time without something we really want.

As for tonight's game. A win is the only result that could be counted as a good result for Liverpool. A loss or a draw will just be more points dropped and a continuation of the sequence of dropping points after every win.

The constant excuses and the constant lack of heart from the players has grated with me this season.

I'd be delighted with the draw. Huge game for Villa and a great chance for them to hurt liverpool in the race for the champions league places. It will a huge blow to them if they fail to beat the reds on current form.

Bandit12 wrote: »
    I'd be delighted with the draw. Huge game for Villa and a great chance for them to hurt liverpool in the race for the champions league places. It will a huge blow to them if they fail to beat the reds on current form.

I think the way Villa were overran in the second half vs Arsenal only 48 hours ago, with no answer whatsoever to them will have had a huge effect on morale to be honest, especially given that they've started to slide around this time the last tow seasons. Self doubt would unerstandably be setting in. I'd say Villa would take the draw as well tbh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Reina,
    Johnson, Carra, Agger, Insua,
    Lucas,Aquilani,
    Kuyt---Gerrard---Benayoun
    Torres.

Subs: Cavalieri, Skrtel, Aurelio, Kyrgiakos, Babel, Ngog, Spearing.

• Advertisement

mike65 wrote: »

Reina,
    Johnson, Carra, Agger, Insua,
    Lucas,Aquilani,
    Kuyt---Gerrard---Benayoun
    Torres.

Subs: Cavalieri, Skrtel, Aurelio, Kyrgiakos, Babel, Ngog, Spearing.

Be gob.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,068 ✭✭✭✭Tusky

Liverpool team - strongest possible, very happy with it!

Reina

Johnson----Carra---Agger----Insua

Lucas---Aquilani

--Kuyt
    Gerrard
    Yossi

Torres

Be gob.
    So benny replaces Aurelio on left with Kuyt down the right. Good line up that.

Could be staying 4-4-2

Reo-coker and Carew in, Heskey and Young out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,900 ✭✭✭Eire-Dearg

Aston Villa starting XI v Liverpool: Friedel, L Young, Cuellar, Dunne, Warnock, Reo-Coker, Milner, Petrov, Downing, Agbonlahor, Carew.

Its nearly a bonus Masch is injured for Liverpool fans as it forces Rafas hand into playing Aquilani two games in a row. Bet he wouldn't have if Masch was fit.

Confident in my 4-1 Liverpool win prediction now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,900 ✭✭✭Eire-Dearg

Its nearly a bonus Masch is injured for Liverpool fans as it forces Rafas hand into playing Aquilani two games in a row. Bet he wouldn't have if Masch was fit.

Confident in my 4-1 Liverpool win prediction now.
    Aquilani has done nothing to make me think we can score 4 at Villa Park.

I think we'll make a game of it, however. 2-1 win.

With Carew starting will it be route one stuff from MONS men?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,680 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

gone for Benni to score anytime

• Closed Accounts Posts: 690 ✭✭✭givyjoe81

Tusky wrote: »
    Liverpool team - strongest possible, very happy with it!

Reina

Johnson----Carra---Agger----Insua

Lucas---Aquilani

--Kuyt
    Gerrard
    Yossi

Torres

Guarantee you that bungling disaster will give away a goal or be a huge part to play in it.

• Advertisement
Advertisement