Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

failed heating system

• 27-12-2009 11:32am
    Registered Users Posts: 15

My heating system failed on xmas eve, i am wondering is this due to the bad frost, could the pipes possibly be frozen, it is only recently installed about two months ago so everything would be new:confused:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,422 ✭✭✭Avns1s

Could you elaborate a little on "failed"?

I am assuming its a kerosene system?

Did you try pushing in the "lockout" button, (generally,the one with the red light) ? If so, what happened?

Read this thread and see if you can try any of the suggestions in it.

Let us know how you get on.

• Registered Users Posts: 423 ✭✭ccsolar

Can you elaborate a little on "failed"?
    Is the Boiler firing at all,?
    Dose the boiler try and start and switch off after 20seconds?
    Is there oil in the tank?

CC

• Registered Users Posts: 15 j3enni

sorry failed as in wont work,

yes we tried restarting it, it comes on for about 5 minutes and then switches off again, but during this time the radiators dont heat up, steam comes out of the pipe outside like it would normally when switched on.

yes it is a kerosene system and the tank is full

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,746 ✭✭✭meercat

Check circulating pump. Turn system on Tap pump lightly with hammer. Are there any warning lights

There are no warning lights, nothing works, could it just be that the pipes are frozen?

• Advertisement

It has to be the circulating pump if the boiler is staying on for 5min.
    Can you open any of the fittings slightly to see if any water comes out , but dont open them all the way.
    Is the pipe work around the boiler insulated and is your boiler in side the house or in the garden covered over with a little hut.

Cc

no water leaking, the boiler is inside the shed

Your pump may be jammed. Try hammer lightly. Also turn thermostats in house up incase they control pump. Also turn boiler stat up to see does boiler fire. Don't forget to turn it back down again. If it fired chances are pump fault. Is the pump controled by a pipe stat or a timer?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,422 ✭✭✭Avns1s

Its almost definitely a circulation fault.

You mentioned that the boiler is in the shed. Could it be that the pipes between the house and the shed are frozen?

If they aren't then check your circulation pump. Open the wide "screw cap" in the centre of a pump with a screwdriver and twist the shaft again with the screwdriver. Run the pump and see if the shaft is turning. (It should be!) Replace the screw cap.

Come back and we'll see where we go from there.

When you open the wide screw cap, is there any water there, you could also try pouring hot water over any exposed piping that might be frozen.

CC

• Advertisement

Tried pouring hot water on the pipes, they started making a horibble rattling noise when i turned on the heating, i turned it off again, would it be ok to leave it on while the pipes on the wall of the house outside are rattling and making a loud noise, like there is something in it.

A Yes, Now were getting some where,
    If there is a banging sound then your pump is working.
    The pipes on the wall of your house must be frozen and i bet they are on the shaded side and not getting any sun light.
    Is there any joints on these pipes.?
    If there is you can try opening the jointand see if the pipe is frozen.
    Do it slowly and see if any water is cum in out as ypou undo it.
    The banging noise is caused by air or expansion within the pipe.
    This pipe may be frozen and the hotwater is defrosting the pipe fast causing this reaction..
    What is the insulation like on this pipe work as it only takes a few inches of frozen pipe to stop circulation.
    You could try pouring some more hot water on these pipes if you think they are frozen.
    There should not be any damage caused by switchingon the boiler again to see if it works as it will shut down again if there are any problems.

CC

Also the noise inside the pipe can be ice starting to move with circulation.
    Maybe you are nearly there.
    Try turning on your boiler.

CC

Sounds like circulation problem alright. Best not to run boiler. Sorry sounds like frozen pipe work. Try heating
    exposed pipes. Turn immersion on and when cylinder is hot try boiler again. Don't try for too long. It may circulate enough hot water in pipes to defrost.I know it's a seperate system but any heat in the coil may help. Of not you have to wait for thaw. You may have to check for leaks when system is back up. Good luck

Thanks very much everybody, its working again so far so good :)

leave your oil on at night over the next few days to prevent this happening again, you were lucky this time no burst pipes.
    I would also contact the plumber that fitted your system about this problem.

CC

Wohoooooooooooo!!!!!!!

Yes leave it on at night time is a great idea Thanks:):):):)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,739 ✭✭✭✭starbelgrade

I'm just back home from visiting the family over Christmas & I'm having the same problem and more - firstly, we have no water from the mains & secondly the boiler is not firing up. Switched on the heating when I got home & it did fire up for a minute or two, then stopped. Pressed the re-set button several times & nothing doing.

It's also a kerosene boiler at the side of the house (outside). Any help would be much appreciated as it's brass monkeys in the house at the minute - too cold to even get to sleep!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 38 stillbornalive

sounds like time to bing out the hot water bottles, seriously do you may have frozen pipes in the house and the hot water bottle can help sort them out.

the advise on this topic should help you as well

hope its some help

• Advertisement
Advertisement