Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Any goals for 2010?

• 27-12-2009 11:36am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,621 ✭✭✭

Any goals for 2010 guys? Training or otherwise?

:)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

yomchi wrote: »
    Any goals for 2010 guys? Training or otherwise?

:)

Change club.

Complete my coaching course with the IJA.

Compete stronger & fitter than I did this year, although my gym training brought the results this year I want to be far stronger again.

Out of Judo, I want to return to Lebanon with my family & show the kids were I served.

Drink less (probably won't happen).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,188 ✭✭✭Doug Cartel

Get heavier, compete more (maybe in zu-zitsu as well), start striking training again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,621 ✭✭✭yomchi

Change club.

Complete my coaching course with the IJA.

Compete stronger & fitter than I did this year, although my gym training brought the results this year I want to be far stronger again.

Out of Judo, I want to return to Lebanon with my family & show the kids were I served.

Drink less (probably won't happen).

Is that an IMAC coaching course or do the IJA do their own?

Is that an IMAC coaching course or do the IJA do their own?

They do it in conjunction with Coaching Ireland.

Another thing I'd love to add to 2010 is learning at least basic Irish language, I can actually speak more Hebrew than Irish!.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,163 ✭✭✭✭Boston

Start grading in Judo
    Get two more belts in German JuJutsu.
    Hit 98Kg for competition.

• Advertisement

Boston wrote: »
    Hit 98Kg for competition.

What weight are you now?.

98kgs is a very competitive & tough weight cat. in Judo.

105 Kg Tbh, I don't know how realistic it is to loose that weight. I want to regain some muscle mass but at my most lean and strong I was 100 Kg.

They do it in conjunction with Coaching Ireland.

Another thing I'd love to add to 2010 is learning at least basic Irish language, I can actually speak more Hebrew than Irish!.

Yeh thats the IMAC course, it's excellent, I did level one this year and it's well worth it.

Well stop wanting to learn and get learning! There are plenty of courses available and CD's/DVD's etc. Try get a look at Des Bishop's 'In the name of the fáda' for some inspiration.
    Get two more belts in German JuJutsu

Whats German JJ?

For myself I have a 4th degree test looming in June/July. I'm also considering the world championships on South Korea in August. I have some competitors who would do well at the WC's but it's bloody leaving cert year :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 942 ✭✭✭whadabouchasir

Get at least 2 more belts in taekwondo.
    Get down to 65Kg
    actually enter a competition.

Hi mate, keep this thread on topic, if you want info on tournaments start a new thread as you will get better results for what you're looking for ;)

• Advertisement

Get at least 2 more belts in taekwondo.
    Get down to 65Kg
    actually enter a competition.
    Would anyone be able to advise me on what is the best tkd competition to enter as regards standard?Also would it be possible to compete at K1 never having done kickboxing before?

Good questions and really do deserve a thread of their own, Jon wasn't coming the big bad Mod, he's really in a position to advise you in the right thread.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,191 ✭✭✭Unpossible

My personal goals are to get to brown belt level, and to try and perform better in a competition by not losing the head when I enter the ring.

For HanMooDo I hope to develop the club in Tralee, and hopefully by next september once we have a solid base I will get another club up and running somewhere else in Kerry.

• Registered Users Posts: 232 ✭✭ColinJennings

Europeans in the beginning of March
    2nd Degree in the end of March
    (Although I might have to reconsidder doing both so close)

Whats German JJ?

See Wiki page here also called Sport JuJutsu / Combat JuJutsu. Very simplier to Japanese Ju-Jutsu but without all the fancy non practical stuff. Very close to what some MMA clubs would train.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,720 ✭✭✭Sid_Justice

See Wiki page here also called Sport JuJutsu / Combat JuJutsu. Very simplier to Japanese Ju-Jutsu but without all the fancy non practical stuff. Very close to what some MMA clubs would train.

On what are you making this comparison? Have you trained in any MMA clubs? I'm not familiar with any MMA clubs that train extensively in wrist locks.

I based it on a comment made by the coach. Wrist locks so far have not been a major aspect of the syllabus, perhaps you are confused. This chap was pretty knowledgeable about Japanese JuJutsu and he might have been able to explain the difference between the two to you, but he got banned for being a retard or some such.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

What style of Japanese jujutsu are you comparing it to?

Traditional jujutsu but not as intense.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 364 ✭✭ScottStorm

I'm intend to improve my flexibility, actually turn up for some gradings and join a second club. Oh and get my act together for some competitions.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,720 ✭✭✭Sid_Justice

I based it on a comment made by the coach. Wrist locks so far have not been a major aspect of the syllabus, perhaps you are confused. This chap was pretty knowledgeable about Japanese JuJutsu and he might have been able to explain the difference between the two to you, but he got banned for being a retard or some such.

Nothing personal mate, just wondering why you would say German JuJutsu (which you use to label the martial art you do, as explained in the thread you reference) is like MMA when you've never studied MMA (afaik). If German Jujutsu is what I think it is it isn't really like MMA at all because:

It does not train extenvisely in all 3 ranges (standup, clinch, ground)
    It does not use drilling and sparring as main methods to learn techniques
    It is not MMA sport orientated

Possibly because it does involve strikes, throws and joint locks you would think it's like MMA. Even things like Combat Sambo and Daido juku I wouldn't call MMA although they would encompass 3 ranges and probably incorporate similar training methods. Just my opinion.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 863 ✭✭✭bjj-fighter

Get my Brazilian Jiujitsu Blue belt before my 17th birthday in April

Compete D-Class MMA on a proper show

Win the Teens MMA league again

Nothing personal mate, just wondering why you would say German JuJutsu (which you use to label the martial art you do, as explained in the thread you reference) is like MMA when you've never studied MMA (afaik). If German Jujutsu is what I think it is it isn't really like MMA at all because:

It does not train extenvisely in all 3 ranges (standup, clinch, ground)
    It does use drilling and sparring as main methods to learn techniques
    It is not MMA sport orientated

Possibly because it does involve strikes, throws and joint locks you would think it's like MMA. Even things like Combat Sambo and Daido juku I wouldn't call MMA although they would encompass 3 ranges and probably incorporate similar training methods. Just my opinion.

Shrug I'm only a yellow belt but It incorporates techniques from judo, karate, aikido and Kali. Standup, clinch and ground work are all parts of German Jujutsu. I don't really understand the point about drilling and sparring, is there another way? There's not a single thing in this MMA training video which I haven't done as part of Jujutsu training, from the warm up right to the gloves and pads. As for the last point, true, it isn't MMA sport orientated. It's self defence orientated with almost no focus on sport. I didn't say German Jujutsu was the same as MMA, it isn't, but it is similar.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,100 ✭✭✭whitelightrider

Get fit, fast and strong. Stop slacking off from training and finally get my Black Belt.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,987 ✭✭✭JohnMc1

Get back into training after a rough 2009. Going to start Oyama Karate when it starts up here around the end of January.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 45 charlieogrady

Get better at tae kwon do and put the head down and start grading and learning the patterns and compete more often

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 114 ✭✭foams

Post here more often, train harder and better and win some fights by K.O

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 679 ✭✭✭just-joe

Get my black belt (been saying that every year for 5 years now but maybe this year)

Train more and start to compete.

Kick ass at judo intervarsities.

Run a marathon.

Go to Japan.

Coming up to the close of 2010, did anyone here actually get to do what they set out to?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 537 ✭✭✭EnjoyChoke

Get my Brazilian Jiujitsu Blue belt before my 17th birthday in April

Compete D-Class MMA on a proper show

Win the Teens MMA league again

Job done. :)

• Advertisement

Well I completed my level one coaching course, now I love taking the beginners and giving them a good grounding in Judo and an appreciation of why people involve themselves in martial arts.

My ankle injury in June has kept me off the mat, and out of competition since so I'm still knocking on the door of my Judo black belt.

I'm no fitter, no lighter and still drinking too much as a result :P

Thanks for resurrecting this thread Jon.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51 ✭✭hagbard

I wasn't posting here at the start of the year, but I did make one goal, which has ended up involving martial arts.
    I'd been running for a few years, but always ended up stopping when the weather got like it is now. So this year I joined a Wing Tsun club, which has made a huge difference. I can keep training even when there's snow on the ground, and I'm learning something I love.
    I'm even tempted to go back to judo after a break of seventeen years.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,921 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

Coming up to the close of 2010, did anyone here actually get to do what they set out to?

I thought I'd posted in this thread last year, but I clearly did not!

Anyway, I achieved my goal. Got back into Ju Jitsu after a 5 year gap and successfully got through a grading (the club has its own belt colour grading system). I should have gone for another grading, but college got in the way. I'm happy with 2010 though. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,191 ✭✭✭Unpossible

I had hoped to open another school for HanMooDo, but last january I had a job in cork which meant communting everyday between tralee and cork so I couldn't put any extra time into it, then during the summer our second child was born and I started a Masters so I simply haven't had time to start another club. As for my brown belt I didn't get an oppertunity to try for it, I probably wouldn't have gotten it. What I thought was me not being flexible has turned out to be an injury that I've been carrying for years, at best its some muscle/tendon problem and at worst cartilge damage :( so god only knows when I'll get to try and grade (brown involves doing lots of kicks at head height).

• Registered Users Posts: 232 ✭✭ColinJennings

I failed at my two goals.

Work got in the way of squad training and lack of ability got in the way of my grading. Do'h!

Advertisement