Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Biggest Disappointment of the Season?

• 27-12-2009 12:15pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 21,235 ✭✭✭✭

A lot of big name players have flattered to deceive for their clubs this season and produced some disinterested performances/downright appalling showings. Who's been the most disapointing for you?

Poll to follow.

Who has been the biggest disappointment of the season so far? 116 votes

Robinho
    0% 0 votes
    Rio Ferdinand
    13% 16 votes
    Alberto Aquilani
    5% 6 votes
    Robbie Keane
    17% 20 votes
    Steven Gerrard
    1% 2 votes
    Kolo Toure
    24% 28 votes
    Dirk Kuyt
    1% 2 votes
    Joleon Lescott
    0% 1 vote
    Michael Ballack
    18% 21 votes
    Jamie Carragher
    0% 0 votes
    Nemanja Vidic
    3% 4 votes
    Dimitar Berbatov
    3% 4 votes
    OTHER
    10% 12 votes

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

Gerrard

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,526 ✭✭✭m@cc@

The whole season has been a disappointment across most aspects of football. It's started to feel really bloated and as distant from football fans as I can remember. The quality of football on show has been atrocious and has been notable as much for the ineptness of defenders as the sub-standard of attacking play on show.

From my own personal perspective, it's almost disappointing to see Man U so close involved in the title race, since the team of 2009 is a poor comparison to the teams of 1999 and 2008.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

With betting hat on - Rooney (the B needs to score 3 goals in the next two games!)
    Otherwise - The lack of swashbuckling football this season, fear stalks the land.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,838 ✭✭✭✭3hn2givr7mx1sc

Berbatov has improved greatly this season on what he did last season.:confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,235 ✭✭✭✭flahavaj

baz2009 wrote: »
    Berbatov has improved greatly this season on what he did last season.:confused:

I was running out of ideas tbh and in fairness he still hasn't looked anywhwere near justifying his transfer fee. I'd probably have been accused of pro United bias if I hadn't added another Utd player anyway.:rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Alberto Aquilani?

mike65 wrote: »
    Alberto Aquilani?

Yup. Massive disappintment so far.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,680 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

flahavaj wrote: »
    I was running out of ideas tbh and in fairness he still hasn't looked anywhwere near justifying his transfer fee.

I agree with that

still doesnt do it for me unfortunately

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,391 ✭✭✭One Cold Hand

Yup. Massive disappintment so far.

He hasn't been given a chance in fairness to the lad.

Lescott for me. Massive transfer fee and has been poor.

He hasn't been given a chance in fairness to the lad.

In a way that makes him a disappointment in itself. The voting will show if hes a justified inclusion.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,247 ✭✭✭ROCKMAN

Nani

In a way that makes him a disappointment in itself. The voting will show if hes a justified inclusion.

I suppose, but it's not his fault is what I mean!

ROCKMAN wrote: »
    Nani

What did you expect from him?

ROCKMAN wrote: »
    Nani

Good call, but I'd also argue that he was never any good, so in fact his rubbish form is living up to his reputation rather than disappointing anyone.:pac:

eeeek!! I voted Robbie Keane accidentally when i meant to vote Gerrard!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,493 ✭✭✭eddiehead

I went for Lescott with Carragher a close second, the transfer fee was the difference for me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,656 ✭✭✭dannydiamond

Aqualani's going to get a bagful of votes here.
    We should keep in mind though,the reason for the disappointment.
    His situation is completely different from the others on the list and it's unfair to include him imo.

I voted for Gerrard,performing way below his own very high standards.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,983 ✭✭✭leninbenjamin

I voted Aquilani. Used to love watching him when Roma would be on, and always thought he'll be a cracking player, so majorly disappointed with how little we've seen of him so far.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,247 ✭✭✭ROCKMAN

What did you expect from him?

A hell of alot more , It was his time to step up , bring some of his performances for his country to club level .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,772 ✭✭✭✭Paul Tergat

I think its unfair to include Aquilani on that list really. Its not like he himself has put in bad performances. He was signed injured and Pool and their fans knew this.

There are a few more others much more deserving of being labeled a disappointment due to bad performances.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,983 ✭✭✭✭NukaCola

p_larkin99 wrote: »
    I think its unfair to include Aquilani on that list really.

Its dissapointing he hasn't played not how he's playing so it is unfair to have him there.

I voted for Robinho for obvious reasons....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,082 ✭✭✭✭Spiritoftheseventies

Its dissapointing he hasn't played not how he's playing so it is unfair to have him there.

I voted for Robinho for obvious reasons....
    Yeah though Robinho would have got more votes. He was a big money signing for city and he is clearly struggling now. But aquilani would be biggest disappointment so far. good to have him back playing but I want to see a few thirty yard screamers from him tbh

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,763 ✭✭✭Jax Teller

Where is rafa benitez in tat poll. Bit harsh on Aquilani has barely played

Where is rafa benitez in tat poll. Bit harsh on Aquilani has barely played
    thats the point. He has hardly played

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,369 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

lescott easily.

huge transfer fee; he's not particularly quick he looks a donkey without jagielka.

he's out for one game, and Man City keep a clean sheet.

aquilani is a probably a close second, even though it's not really his fault.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,763 ✭✭✭Jax Teller

thats the point. He has hardly played

He got standing ovation yesterday . Don't support pool myself think he will be great player if he is played though

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,909 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

SlickRic wrote: »

he's out for one game, and Man City keep a clean sheet.

Ah now that's not fair. He also missed the Spurs game when we conceded three.

And the sunderland game where we also condeded three.

He's been crap, but no need to exaggerate it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,369 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

Xavi6 wrote: »
    He's been crap, but no need to exaggerate it.

fair enough.

had no idea he missed that game.

good of you to defend him, even though he's been appalling by all accounts.

kompany back there is a far better option by the looks of it, as i know you acknowledge yourself.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,435 ✭✭✭✭redout

For everyone who voted Aquilani take a reality check. The guy has only had 5 appearances for christ's sake. 2 starts and 3 from the bench.

Berba is a flop by the way - £30m down the swanny.

No way he has justified the fee.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,448 ✭✭✭evil_seed

i voted gerrard. aquilani should not be on the list. he has 1 start and 4 sub appearences. he should be a disappointment, but his situation is

Yeah, Aqualiani shouldn't be on here. The disapointment towards him is his lack of game time. But going by the op, it's the form of players that is the subject of the disappointment and Aqualiaini has performed ok in the time he has played. Nothing particularly special, but it'll take to get back to full match fitness and to get used to a foreign league!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

I know a lot of people will say Aquilani but he's been injured and hasn't played much so I don't know how you can judge a player on a few games/minutes.

I said Carragher. He's a shadow of himself this season and is extremely sloppy and should have been sent off at least twice this season. Can't seem to cope really with attackers and is a bit reckless with challenges.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,951 ✭✭✭DSB

You just know that every single Aquilani vote is from a United fan.

DSB wrote: »
    You just know that every single Aquilani vote is from a United fan.

Nope. Mine was for Berba.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,570 ✭✭✭✭Frisbee

Eduardo

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 9,648 Mod ✭✭✭✭mayordenis

redout wrote: »
    Nope. Mine was for Berba.

I think you read him wrong,
    he didn't say evry united fan voted for Aqualiani, but that every vota for Aquilani was by a united fan.

mayordenis wrote: »
    I think you read him wrong,
    he didn't say evry united fan voted for Aqualiani, but that every vota for Aquilani was by a united fan.

ah, right you are Sir.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,129 ✭✭✭therokerroar

Gerrard.

"Mr. Liverpool" has been disappointing to say the least.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,258 ✭✭✭MUSEIST

Zhirkov......

Why did chelsea buy a winger when we dont play with wingers...
    tbf he's been injured for most of the season

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,110 ✭✭✭Y2J_MUFC

Lescott (Poor and ridiculous transfer fee), Aquilani (hasn't played enough and hasn't set the world alight when he has done so far), Toure, Nani... in that order.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,555 ✭✭✭Gillington

Was gonna go for Toure,but tbh I wasnt expecting much of him when we signed him.I simply dont rate him as much as other people seem to do.I remember seeing some stat that when he was Arsenal his heading and tackling %'s were under 50% whereas every other top 4 CB's were 70%+.

I voted for Robinho,I think that Bellamy has been great for us on the LW but alot of that is when he's compared to how poor Robinho has been out there.I think the will he wont he go to Barcelona is on his mind even if he says he's not.I personally want to see him improve and stay at City for the good of our team and the league.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,442 ✭✭✭Bandit12

Rooney. Most overhyped player in the premiership and has failed to step up to the mark since ronaldo left.

Gerrard.

"Mr. Liverpool" has been disappointing to say the least.
    Yes was a very disappointing finish from Gerrard yesterday.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,661 ✭✭✭✭Helix

has to be lescott for me

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,631 ✭✭✭✭Hank Scorpio

Bandit12 wrote: »
    Rooney. Most overhyped player in the premiership and has failed to step up to the mark since ronaldo left.

rooneyn.jpg

With todays goal hes joint top goal scorer in the premiership

Maybe your being sarcastic, i have no idea, but rooney is superb

Yes was a very disappointing finish from Gerrard yesterday.

http://www.premierleague.com/page/LeagueTables/0,,12306,00.html

That's on top of the fact that Gerrard's performances have been a disgrace for Liverpool this season.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,710 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

Berbatov for me, well overpriced. He has the ability but just looks too lazy to use it.

Aqua can't be counted. He simply hasn't played enough minutes to be judged.

http://www.premierleague.com/page/LeagueTables/0,,12306,00.html

That's on top of the fact that Gerrard's performances have been a disgrace for Liverpool this season.
    Made the FIFA world team of year. Class is permanent. Form is temporary

Made the FIFA world team of year. Class is permanent. Form is temporary

Good thing this thread is about the biggest disappointment of this season so far then and not the whole of 2009 isn't it.

Good thing this thread is about the biggest disappointment of this season so far then and not the whole of 2009 isn't it.
    I come here not to bury Gerrard but to praise him. Yesterday he got his 75th league goal making him our top scorer of the noughties. Most people didn't even report it.

• Advertisement
Advertisement