Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

CHAINS NEEDED URGENTLY

Options
  • 27-12-2009 12:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭

Hi All,

My car is stranded out in Killenumery and i urgently need chain fo rthe wheels to get it accross 2km of snow packed road.

If anyone can help me please call me on *****

Thanks

Rory

No numbers in posts please, can people please pm if they can help. Hope you get the car out - fozzle

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭the_wabbitt

after 3 hours and some vital hrlp from of duty gardai as well as some chain from homebase (€80s worth) got the car home.

worst conditions ever seen on those roads

R

• Registered Users Posts: 1,882 ✭✭✭fozzle

Glad you got out. Didn't know Homebase sold tyre chains, might invest for the next snowfall.

homebase dont do 'em, had to make them up from 2 x 8mtr lenghts of chain.

Halfords have them but mainly to order - wise investment me thinks

rory

• Registered Users Posts: 32,370 ✭✭✭✭Son Of A Vidic

4 inches of hard lethal ice on road here in Achonry, 4 cars need to be towed by tractor from the hill outside my house this morning. It is the first day I haven't attempted to drive, it has rained but all it has done is thickened the Ice layer - absolutely lethal. How the hell do you make snow chains from a length of chain? and would you need them for the front tyres or all 4?

front tyres only.

I googled it, but if your brage calapers are far enough away from the wheel, wrap thin galvanised chain around the tyre throught the holes in the wheels, tie them off either with a padlock or STRONG cable ties.

Rory

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,739 ✭✭✭✭starbelgrade

homebase dont do 'em, had to make them up from 2 x 8mtr lenghts of chain.

Oh, the bargains you get at Homebase! Some of the backroads are in a right state since last night.. it's like an ice rink around these parts.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭Slidey

I saw this in Ballymote the other night on the way to the pub!

f_grpn3kgym_036d730.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 3,659 ✭✭✭magnumlady

Rope? Would that do anything?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,907 ✭✭✭bennyc

That is a great idea around Ballymote. My road is still sheet ice even this AM. Ran out of Oil the other day and was told it will still be a few days until the lorry tries to deliver again.
    One of my neighbours got stuck the other day and went home and got a bucket of ashes and used that to grit the road and it worked a treat. Best job I have seen used. I had to us some myself to get my car some traction. I have a big bag in the boot since just in case.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,739 ✭✭✭✭starbelgrade

bennyc wrote: »
    That is a great idea around Ballymote. My road is still sheet ice even this AM. Ran out of Oil the other day and was told it will still be a few days until the lorry tries to deliver again.
    One of my neighbours got stuck the other day and went home and got a bucket of ashes and used that to grit the road and it worked a treat. Best job I have seen used. I had to us some myself to get my car some traction. I have a big bag in the boot since just in case.

It's amazing what will get you going when yr stuck - even a shovel full of stones from the side of a ditch will do the trick!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 162 ✭✭ge_ch

yeah ashes or catlitter are very helpfull

• Registered Users Posts: 1,797 ✭✭✭bobcar61

after 3 hours and some vital hrlp from of duty gardai as well as some chain from homebase (€80s worth) got the car home.

worst conditions ever seen on those roads

R

And the chain cutting machine is now out of order:eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭Slidey

I'm sure ye have plenty of angle grinders or bolt croppers in there..

• Registered Users Posts: 32,370 ✭✭✭✭Son Of A Vidic

Heading out of Dublin yesterday, Halfords in Liffey Valley told me they have no snow chains stocked on the island of Ireland. Apparently over a three year period when they were in stock, they sold = 0 snow chains. D.I.Y. is probably the way to go.

Advertisement