Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

China Blames Online Games for Drugs, Murder, Teen Pregnancy

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,221 ✭✭✭✭m5ex9oqjawdg2i

Cunny-Funt wrote: »
    video game violence has as much influence on someone has two puppets attacking each other. Or kids playing with action figures and having them 'fight' each other.

:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:
    The amount of virtual characters I've seen get decapitated over the years would be in the hundreds of thousands. Are you saying seeing this prepares me for seeing someone get their head sawn off in real life? Because that would be pretty ignorant imo.

I am saying exactly what I said prior to you posting this twisted crap. If you cannot understand it I might be able to explain a little better for you. Read what I wrote properly and try understand it a little better than "computer games makes you kill people"... because that's not what I said. Also note that everybody is differant. You may not be effected, a lot, but another person may be.
    The line between seeing mock violence on tv in a game or with puppets and seeing it in real life, is not as thin as you make it out to be.

Where the hell are you getting the pupets crap from? Again read what I said about influences, early age, conditioning etc etc. That line is non existant for some people.
    But talking about all this is beside the point. This is China we're talking about, the same country that rolls over its own people in tanks. Who make up reasons to execute people so they can use their organs. They're not worried about this stuff at all, they are worried that too many people are using the games as escapism, and the online games have them meeting with people from outside china. They are afraid of their lack of control over these peoples virtual lives.

This CT is a lot crazier than the facts I presented here in this thread...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,919 ✭✭✭✭Gummy Panda

tbh, you can't just say FACT and expect everyone to accept what you are saying is one. A bit of referencing and how you gathered the data for these facts would be nice, like how Johnny did for the female gamer thread.

AFAIK all studies into video game influence have said there may be links and not that there is an influence from them.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭gizmo

Does forcing us to read sickeningly condescending drivel constitute personal abuse by any chance? :(

• Registered Users Posts: 2,748 ✭✭✭Cunny-Funt

:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

My point stands, you dismissing my punch and judy examples just shows me you dunno wtf you are talking about and have the old grannies logic about violence in video games.

Theres more facts in my post then yours actually. You obviously dunno anything about China either.

gizmo wrote: »
    Does forcing us to read sickeningly condescending drivel constitute personal abuse by any chance? :(

Ah, poor baby, can you not get your little head around the idea? It's not my fault people don't understand my points. Anyhow, nobody is forcing you to read anything, if you don't like it, then stop reading... hardly that hard to do is it?
    tbh, you can't just say FACT and expect everyone to accept what you are saying is one. A bit of referencing and how you gathered the data for these facts would be nice, like how Johnny did for the female gamer thread.

AFAIK all studies into video game influence have said there may be links and not that there is an influence from them.

I can post links, then you will post other links to dismiss my claims, because there are two sides to this argument. Funny enough, the games industry so claim that violence in video games does not influence anybody ever... then there are the parents and psychiatrists that say otherwise. Studies have been done by students to find no conclusive evidence, then there have been other independant studies that show otherwise.

It goes for everything, you are influenced by your environment, every single day, conciously and subconciously. But what would I know, I only educated in that field...

My point stands, you dismissing my punch and judy examples just shows me you dunno wtf you are talking about and have the old grannies logic about violence in video games.

I can't remember them blowing holes in eachother with shotguns, or hacking arms off each other with swords, swearing and being racist to eachother... They were not graphically advanced and didn't represent true human beings. They are a show, that you see for a short time, not exposed to for 6+ hours a day every day. I don't have an old grannies logic about video games, I simply have logic, which many people seem to lack in this thread. True ignorance because their love of games blinds them. Well I am an true gamer, I play everything and anything, quite a lot, but I also have the brainpower to see that games can, and do, influence people negatively as well as positively. I apologise for being intelligent.

Theres more facts in my post then yours actually. You obviously dunno anything about China either.

There is a defined differance between a fact and conspiracy theory... What you chose to believe in shows your naivety. Sorry if my points are extracted from scientific studies... damned scientists, always telling us porkies... :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,909 ✭✭✭nix

Not too educated if your refering to the unconscious mind as the subconscious :P

And there has yet to this day to be any research presented to support your "facts", hence why Gummy is requesting such factual proof.

It's all ignorant bs that has been presented, hence why that guy in the US keeps getting shot down in court. (I forget his name)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,919 ✭✭✭✭Gummy Panda

I can post links, then you will post other links to dismiss my claims, because there are two sides to this argument.

It goes for everything, you are influenced by your environment, every single day, conciously and subconciously. But what would I know, I only educated in that field...

Well you could post them to back up your argument. Its well and good saying there is studies and others can post counter links but you still haven't presented these studies, which is strange considering you said they were facts.

Also how is anyone to know you are educated in that field especially where you post FACT and then say everyone else opinion is the dumbest shít ever? You can hardly expect people to take you serious with that argument style considering it is usually the posting style of people who post their opinion but realise they don't have any substance to present once this opinion is questioned.

I agree games due have an influence but so does everything that happens in our daily routine, I have just never saw evidence that video games have the level of influence that could have a negative impact on a person (who doesn't already have mental health issues) and lead to anti-social behaviour.

BTW, I'm open to either sides arguments. I don't really have a stance as I'm not chinese and its not my product in the spotlight.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,758 ✭✭✭Stercus Accidit

I'm getting a bit sick of xaviers intentionally insulting and condescending shite, if he has a legitimate argument in there at all, opening up with an insult is a sure way to get me to skim over it.

FACT

reported, do follow suit if you agree.

This a games forum, not an exposition for dire social skills, keep that to xbox live.

nix wrote: »
    It's all ignorant bs that has been presented

I know, I have tried telling them, but it's not working :(
    Well you could post them to back up your argument. Its well and good saying there is studies and others can post counter links but you still haven't presented these studies, which is strange considering you said they were facts.

I will when I get more time to dig them up.
    Also how is anyone to know you are educated in that field especially where you post FACT and then say everyone else opinion is the dumbest shít ever? You can hardly expect people to take you serious with that argument style considering it is usually the posting style of people who post their opinion but realise they don't have any substance to present once this opinion is questioned.

Not every opinion from everyone is dumb. I get a sense of "he's attacking what I love, lets defend it no matter what" attitude from a lot of ye. My education is not as in dept in that perticular area as I would like it to be, but I have studied enough to understand this topic and see how it works. Most will not see it.
    I agree games due have an influence but so does everything that happens in our daily routine, I have just never saw evidence that video games have the level of influence that could have a negative impact on a person (who doesn't already have mental health issues) and lead to anti-social behaviour.

Exactly, thank you... My main argument is that people being exposed to large amounts of gore/violence at an early age, even older ages, can be bad. Then the usual crap comes out "sure they must have been mental already"... which is bullcrap.

Prime example. World of Warcraft. That's very very antisocial.

Other examples would be children becomming enraged when they cannot play the game, becomming anxious and figity. Games can influence your behaviour quite a lot.
    BTW, I'm open to either sides arguments. I don't really have a stance as I'm not chinese and its not my product in the spotlight.

I can see both sides too, sadly, not many can see my side.
    I'm getting a bit sick of xaviers intentionally insulting and condescending shite, if he has a legitimate argument in there at all, opening up with an insult is a sure way to get me to skim over it.

FACT

reported, do follow suit if you agree.

This a games forum, not an exposition for dire social skills, keep that to xbox live.

:rolleyes:

Or in other words:

REPORTED, I DON'T AGREE WITH YOU

• Advertisement

lol :P Well I pressed submit by mistake ;)

• Legal Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 5,400 Mod ✭✭✭✭Maximilian

I'm still trying to figure out the teen pregnancy thing. Is it a HL mod? I'm thinking Garry's Mod maybe. I don't want a load of Chinese children knocking on my door one day looking for daddy. Is my firewall not enough? What anti-pregnancy software should I be using?

I have to laugh at Xavier. Insofar as I can tell (tl;dr) he derides other people's opinions on the basis that they are not facts, merely opinions and then proceeds to opine himself as though it were fact.

• Registered Users Posts: 55,517 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Keep it friendly folks (and please stop reporting posts just because you don't agree with someone).

I'm all for healthy debate here (even if it is heavily weighted in favour of one side)
    For those on the 'other' side, please back up your arguments with facts, or you'll have a tough time of it here.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭gizmo

Ah, poor baby, can you not get your little head around the idea? It's not my fault people don't understand my points. Anyhow, nobody is forcing you to read anything, if you don't like it, then stop reading... hardly that hard to do is it?
    Congratulations on using your education to talk down to people on the internet, a noble pursuit if ever there was one. The sad fact is, there is some truth to some of the things you are saying but you're expressing yourself in such a way that no one wants to listen to you and those that do are simply enraged by your arrogance and condescension. :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

Maximilian wrote: »
    I have to laugh at Xavier. Insofar as I can tell (tl;dr) he derides other people's opinions on the basis that they are not facts, merely opinions and then proceeds to opine himself as though it were fact.

I'd call it trolling tbh

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭Karl Hungus

Babby is not formed anough to understund what I has being said... More vitriol! Rawrghrghraaablble! :pac:
    Other examples would be children becomming enraged when they cannot play the game, becomming anxious and figity. Games can influence your behaviour quite a lot.

I dare say see what happens when you stop a child from playing a game of football with their friends, or going out playing with friends in some other way.

The whole argument is nonsense. It's like saying that watching films 'desensitizes' you to violence, when the real truth is that people aren't being desensitized, they are merely becoming used to the same scenarios being played out again and again. Seeing some masked killer murdering teenagers doesn't shock, not because of any desensitization effect, but because the viewers (understanding that it is fiction) have seen it all before and it holds no surprises.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭Karl Hungus

Oh, and just to point out that there's plenty of arguments to suggest that fictional violence reduces real life violence by offering a cathartic experience, and there's research to that end. Here is an interesting article for you.
    Mr Dahl and the paper's other author, Stefano DellaVigna, an economist at the University of California, Berkeley, attach precise numbers to their argument. Over the last decade, they said, the showing of violent films in the US had decreased assaults by an average of about 1000 a weekend, or 52,000 a year.

Maximilian wrote: »
    I'm still trying to figure out the teen pregnancy thing. Is it a HL mod? I'm thinking Garry's Mod maybe. I don't want a load of Chinese children knocking on my door one day looking for daddy. Is my firewall not enough? What anti-pregnancy software should I be using?

Not at all... I stated where I posted my opinion and where I have posted facts.
    Mr E wrote: »
    Keep it friendly folks (and please stop reporting posts just because you don't agree with someone).

I'm all for healthy debate here (even if it is heavily weighted in favour of one side)
    For those on the 'other' side, please back up your arguments with facts, or you'll have a tough time of it here.

Shouldn't that go for both sides, and not just one side? I have yet to see any "fact" from the other side of this debate ;)
    gizmo wrote: »
    Congratulations on using your education to talk down to people on the internet, a noble pursuit if ever there was one. The sad fact is, there is some truth to some of the things you are saying but you're expressing yourself in such a way that no one wants to listen to you and those that do are simply enraged by your arrogance and condescension. :(

Such is life.
    PogMoThoin wrote: »
    I'd call it trolling tbh

You need to update your definition of trolling then, don't you?

I cannot understand, and I apologise for this, how ye cannot see how being exposed to certain things is not healthy, be it violence, sex, or other. Being exposed to some things can be very benificial too. I don't think I can simplify it any more than I already have in previos posts.

I also understand what it is like to have something you love attacked, but some people gotta learn to drop their guard and listen a little. I mean, you scream for evidence and links, but how can ye not use your common sense to see the truth in what I am saying? Being exposed to ANY type of violence at any age (especially at a young age) is bad. How bad the outcome may be depends on some factors such as the age of the person, the level of gore/violence and the lenght of exposure, some other factors may be taken into account, such as the individual him/herself and their ability to break down what they are witnessing, to distinguish between right and wrong. We are not all the same, and we do not all deal with certain scenarios the same. Some may be exposed to slight violence at short intervals and react completely crazy, another may have witnessed extreme violence all his/her life, and it might have no effect at all. Playing a violent video game will not make you kill somebody, not directly. It WILL influence your personality... regardless of what you wish to believe or not...

Think that is about the 3rd or 4th time I said it, no?

Oh, and just to point out that there's plenty of arguments to suggest that fictional violence reduces real life violence by offering a cathartic experience, and there's research to that end. Here is an interesting article for you.

An economist...? Hmm... well done...
    Babby is not formed anough to understund what I has being said... More vitriol! Rawrghrghraaablble! :pac:

I dare say see what happens when you stop a child from playing a game of football with their friends, or going out playing with friends in some other way.

The whole argument is nonsense. It's like saying that watching films 'desensitizes' you to violence, when the real truth is that people aren't being desensitized, they are merely becoming used to the same scenarios being played out again and again. Seeing some masked killer murdering teenagers doesn't shock, not because of any desensitization effect, but because the viewers (understanding that it is fiction) have seen it all before and it holds no surprises.

Are you saying that video games and films have no effect on the behavior of human beings?

An economist...? Hmm... well done...

Are you saying that video games and films have no effect on the behavior of human beings?

How many people are there in the world that play computer games?

How many of them haven't mimiced/reinacted violent occurances/actions from games?

Billions!

• Advertisement

How many people are there in the world that play computer games?

How many of them haven't mimiced/reinacted violent occurances/actions from games?

Billions!

Avoid questions much?

Your the one claiming fact and purposely avoiding all requests to support said facts, and whats your question?

Prove that your wrong? Thats not how this works mate, there are billions of people who play games and are not affected by gaming, its not necessary to provide that evidence as its a common thing, if it werent you would have an endless list of occurances to suggest that it does and you wouldnt be dodging every request to support your "facts".

Then you would know that its the environment that does the most influencing. Gaming has no more influence then any other media, books or films or TV. Maybe even less so.

A 3 year old may see punch and judy hit each other with bats, and its all jokes and fun, then in the interest of 'fun' hit his sister with a bat seeing it as play.
    I can't remember them blowing holes in eachother with shotguns, or hacking arms off each other with swords, swearing and being racist to eachother...

lol thing is though this is in a game, kids understand that believe it or not, seeing 'violence' in a game means nothing, its just pixels. Its no different then kids using their action figures and having them attack each other. A kids imagination is still far more powerful then any video game.

t I also have the brainpower to see that games can, and do, influence people negatively as well as positively.

Give me one example, ONE. Please. & also, please explain to me how games make kids go out and have teen pregnancy while your at it.

Of all the horrible things that can happen in a persons life its GAMES that are doing all this..

You do have an old grannies attitude to this.

There is a defined differance between a fact and conspiracy theory... What you chose to believe in shows your naivety. Sorry if my points are extracted from scientific studies... damned scientists, always telling us porkies... :rolleyes:

Conspiracy theory? Hahahahaha, yeah that whole Tienanmen square thing never happened , or it was aliens was it?

You're points don't appear to come from any scientific studies. Unless you're storing such studies up your hole that is.
    then there are the parents and psychiatrists that say otherwise.
    :

Parents? LOL the second someone has a kid some of 'em turn into retards when it comes to thus stuff due to their over protective instincts kicking in, and desire to keep their child as innocent as possible. Blaming everything else in society when a kid becomes aware of something or does something wrong. Usually underestimating their child's grasp of reality.

Violence really is not the big issue when it comes to kids. What they really should be looking at are games like WoW. You should not have a 10 year old playing such games, not cause of violence, but cause of the environment, they're in a game that sucks hours and hours away, interacting with people 10-20+ years older than them.

But parents are fine having them shut up for a while and play wow, as long as they don't see pixelated boobies or pixelated blood "Oh noes"....

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭Jazzy

sure, wasnt the whole 9/11 thing over Al Queda's fury at Duke Nukem Forever not being released yet?

sure, before there was ever violent movies and games there was f**k all violence in the world wasnt there? how did I get these 'facts' you ask? well i got on the blower to marty mcfly for my hook up and im telling you those folk back in 1955 never ever laid a finger on each other.

its amazing how ppl pick and chose which 'facts' are relevant just cos, ya know, they want to seem intellectual and go against the grain. sure speaking of the 50's wasnt rock and roll music vilified in the media and looked on suspiciously by 'right thinking people'? listening to that kind of music is gonna make you take drugs and become a drop out and eventually you'll turn to eating children. imagine trying to come up with an argument nowadays saying how listening to Oasis causes you all these sorts of problems and be taken seriously.

of course ill get hit by the old "but what of the low moral values and fall of decent society? I got happy slapped by a 10 year old the other day and Im angry RAWR!" but what ill say is that maybe ya know, you have to take in a myriad of social factors from politics, religion, economical growth, advertising, expenditure, poverty.... ya know, all that important stuff you chose to ignore

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,219 ✭✭✭Lab_Mouse

was going to say that playing games doesnt make a person violent but my 7year has just finished killing nazi zombies on CoD World at War and he just said to be he fukking hates zombies and if he ever see's one he's gonna shot him in the head with a k98.He said he would also throw a grenade first but he used them all up.

Wonder if the chinese crack done will hit the gold miners in WoW and isk miners in EVE?

Your the one claiming fact and purposely avoiding all requests to support said facts, and whats your question?

Prove that your wrong? Thats not how this works mate, there are billions of people who play games and are not affected by gaming, its not necessary to provide that evidence as its a common thing, if it werent you would have an endless list of occurances to suggest that it does and you wouldnt be dodging every request to support your "facts".

Read my posts carefully, stop making up stuff and claiming I wrote it... I didn't purposely avoid anything, I said I would post links when I have more time on my hands.

My question was, do you think games/films have no effect on human beings?
    Then you would know that its the environment that does the most influencing. Gaming has no more influence then any other media, books or films or TV. Maybe even less so.

Your lack of understanding of the word "environment" hinders your ability to make a plausable argument.
    A 3 year old may see punch and judy hit each other with bats, and its all jokes and fun, then in the interest of 'fun' hit his sister with a bat seeing it as play.

At last, you can see the connection...

lol thing is though this is in a game, kids understand that believe it or not, seeing 'violence' in a game means nothing, its just pixels. Its no different then kids using their action figures and having them attack each other. A kids imagination is still far more powerful then any video game.

This is an opinion, one which holds no factual evidence whatsoever. You still don't understand my side of the argument. You have not displayed any understanding at all... it's pointless to debate with you.

Give me one example, ONE. Please. & also, please explain to me how games make kids go out and have teen pregnancy while your at it.

Of which? Good or bad? I am not debating the connection between teen pregnancy and video games. I have not stated that anywhere in my posts.
    Of all the horrible things that can happen in a persons life its GAMES that are doing all this..

Again, you need to read word for word of what I say, analyse it, don't make assumptions and try realllly realllly hard to understand what I am trying to say.
    You do have an old grannies attitude to this.

Nope, I have applied nothing more than an education and logic to the problem.

Conspiracy theory? Hahahahaha, yeah that whole Tienanmen square thing never happened , or it was aliens was it?

Who said anything about Tienanmen Square? Again, conjuring words out of thin air.
    You're points don't appear to come from any scientific studies. Unless you're storing such studies up your hole that is.

Parents? LOL the second someone has a kid some of 'em turn into retards when it comes to thus stuff due to their over protective instincts kicking in, and desire to keep their child as innocent as possible. Blaming everything else in society when a kid becomes aware of something or does something wrong. Usually underestimating their child's grasp of reality.

That's it? That's your argument? As first hand witnesses, parents should be listened to more...
    Violence really is not the big issue when it comes to kids. What they really should be looking at are games like WoW. You should not have a 10 year old playing such games, not cause of violence, but cause of the environment, they're in a game that sucks hours and hours away, interacting with people 10-20+ years older than them.

10 year olds shouldn't be playing wow... fullstop. Violence is a major problem or do they just rate games for the shíts and giggles? :rolleyes:
    But parents are fine having them shut up for a while and play wow, as long as they don't see pixelated boobies or pixelated blood "Oh noes"....

Butter it up as much as you want, but violence in computer games and films is bad for growing minds especially. I know it's difficult for you to understand, but do try...

Jazzy wrote: »
    sure, wasnt the whole 9/11 thing over Al Queda's fury at Duke Nukem Forever not being released yet?

sure, before there was ever violent movies and games there was f**k all violence in the world wasnt there? how did I get these 'facts' you ask? well i got on the blower to marty mcfly for my hook up and im telling you those folk back in 1955 never ever laid a finger on each other.

its amazing how ppl pick and chose which 'facts' are relevant just cos, ya know, they want to seem intellectual and go against the grain. sure speaking of the 50's wasnt rock and roll music vilified in the media and looked on suspiciously by 'right thinking people'? listening to that kind of music is gonna make you take drugs and become a drop out and eventually you'll turn to eating children. imagine trying to come up with an argument nowadays saying how listening to Oasis causes you all these sorts of problems and be taken seriously.

of course ill get hit by the old "but what of the low moral values and fall of decent society? I got happy slapped by a 10 year old the other day and Im angry RAWR!" but what ill say is that maybe ya know, you have to take in a myriad of social factors from politics, religion, economical growth, advertising, expenditure, poverty.... ya know, all that important stuff you chose to ignore

Yet another person who is unable to read and understand what I posted. Picking what you want to see and making up the rest... :rolleyes:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭Jazzy

Yet another person who is unable to read and understand what I posted. Picking what you want to see and making up the rest... :rolleyes:

yeah i am able to read and understand. i just think you are full of sh1t is all

No you are the one picking up what you want to see and you avoid any call for you to give any examples other than "violent videos games are effects kids in a bad away..mmmmmmkay" and then reply with bull**** like
    Your lack of understanding of the word "environment" hinders your ability to make a plausable argument.

To comments like
    Gaming has no more influence then any other media, books or films or TV. Maybe even less so.

instead of fking backing yourself up with any basic argument other than "I'm sorry you can't understand my post" trolling crap.

You don't address anyones points you just avoid and troll and make no points of your own.

So your not debating the connection between teen pregnancy and video games, your stating that violence in video games is a problem because its effecting kids in a negative way.

So give us examples then eh? & don't dodge it. Are you also saying its such a problem in video games that its effects them even more than TV? Or other media?

Example.
    That's it? That's your argument? As first hand witnesses, parents should be listened to more...

No you've ignored my arguments, its a retort to your comment on how the only reasons anyone could not agree that violence in video games are big problem effecting everyone in bad ways is because they love games.

Are you a parent btw?
    Violence is a major problem or do they just rate games for the shíts and giggles?

Give me one example. At least ONE. FFS. The fact that they are rated is not cause there's a problem, its just keeping with a standard thats been around before video games.

The old granny attitude is the only problem here, ignorance holding back progress as usual.
    Who said anything about Tienanmen Square? Again, conjuring words out of thin air.
    eh I did, to which you responded by "conjuring" up conspiracy theory out of think air... :eek:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 55,517 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

*sigh*

I tried, I really did.

7 8 reported posts and 2 PMs over the course of the afternoon tells me this one is beyond saving. Sorry folks....

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement