Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

January transfer window

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,082 ✭✭✭✭Spiritoftheseventies

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,013 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

£2.25 million fee agreed for Benni McCarthy from Blackburn to West Ham.

Good luck and good riddance to McCarthy after his recent actions.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,043 ✭✭✭✭L'prof

eagle eye wrote: »
    £2.25 million fee agreed for Benni McCarthy from Blackburn to West Ham.

Good luck and good riddance to McCarthy after his recent actions.

What did he do?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,625 ✭✭✭✭Johner

Skipped a few training sessions or something without letting anyone know?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,555 ✭✭✭Gillington

Johner wrote: »
    Says on Sky Sports site that Arsenal have made an approach for Fulham defender Chris Smalling. Wa very impressed with him when he played center half at the Bridge had a blinder apart from the OG, looks a good prospect.

Smalling has signed for United today,will join at the end of the season

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,153 ✭✭✭everdead.ie

It looks like Eidur Gudjohnsen is to make a move to the premier league with Spurs and West Ham trying to get him.

http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,11661_5888051,00.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,555 ✭✭✭Gillington

It looks like Eidur Gudjohnsen is to make a move to the premier league with Spurs and West Ham trying to get him.

http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,11661_5888051,00.html

Id like to see him go to West Ham or Blackburn,somewhere he's guaranteed a game.Great player with a couple of seasons left in him I reckon

Gudjohnsen is a legend, I'll never forget buying the away jersey in the Chelsea megastore with Gudjohnsen on the back just hours before he did this. Best goal I've seen live by a long shot.

I hope he doesn't go to West Ham or Spurs.:mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,793 ✭✭✭✭JPA

Blackburn sign Yıldıray Baştürk on loan for the rest of the season. He could be good for them.

Yeah great signing for us, we have had a lot of injuries in midfield all season and really needed somebody for that attacking midfield role. He comes in on a free which makes me think there is another signing on the way.

I think we are in for Gudjohnnsen as well. And Allardyce knows him from his Bolton days so it could happen.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,326 ✭✭✭✭ctrl-alt-delete

jasonorr wrote: »
    What did he do?

Well he hasn't trained like a pro should apparantly.

Allardyce wasn't happy with his fitness levels when he got there, and has given him plenty of time to put it straight.

Then he has failed to show up for training since the fee has been agreed. Not really good behaviour towards a club that has been paying your wages.

He has been more bothered about trying to get his place for the World Cup in South Africa, thinking for some reason Blackburn should be playing him to enable him to, even though he couldn't be bothered putting the effort in.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,153 ✭✭✭everdead.ie

Tottenham look to have won the race to land Iceland international striker Eidur Gudjohnsen.

The former Chelsea and Barcelona star had looked set to sign for West Ham, until Spurs made a late move for the 31-year-old.
    The Hammers have hit out at the late move from their London rivals for the forward, who is set to depart French club Monaco.
    But Spurs chief Harry Redknappspacer.gif insists that the player made a straight choice between the two Premier League clubs.
    "We've been talking about him for nearly two weeks and when we heard West Ham were interested we made our move," Redknapp told The Sun.
    "We are not paying a penny more than West Ham were offering him.
    "Two identical deals were on the table. In the end it was a straight choice for Eidur."
    Gud_2412010.jpg
    http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,11685_5889997,00.html

In other news Bently and Hutton are wanted by westham

Nooo Eidur not the Spuds.:(

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,804 Mod ✭✭✭✭Keano

So where does Robbie Keane go? Wolves?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,466 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

So where does Robbie Keane go? Wolves?

rumours are Pav to Brum, so it would still be 4 forward options for Spurs. Defoe, Crouch, Keane, Eidur G.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭SuprSi

I think we should loan Pav to Brum - give him half a season of regular games before deciding whether he's good enough. He's shown glimpses of quality but obviously not enough for Harry to be convinced.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,255 ✭✭✭anonymous_joe

SuprSi wrote: »
    I think we should loan Pav to Brum - give him half a season of regular games before deciding whether he's good enough. He's shown glimpses of quality but obviously not enough for Harry to be convinced.

In fairness, a team of players Harry's let go could probably win the Premiership. I mean, half the England team played for West Ham once upon a time.

I'd assume Robbie'll go to Celtic. He's Irish, badly off-form and has a big name. The ultimate Celtic player really.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,414 ✭✭✭kraggy

In fairness, a team of players Harry's let go could probably win the Premiership. I mean, half the England team played for West Ham once upon a time.

I'd assume Robbie'll go to Celtic. He's Irish, badly off-form and has a big name. The ultimate Celtic player really.

This suggestion has been done to death. Celtic can't afford him or his wages.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,255 ✭✭✭anonymous_joe

kraggy wrote: »
    This suggestion has been done to death. Celtic can't afford him or his wages.

Loan deal? With Spurs keeping half the wages? Hardly impossible.

0,,10303%7E8300276,00.jpg

BLACKBURN Rovers have today completed the signing of Amine Linganzi from St Etienne.

The midfielder arrives in Lancashire on a free transfer from the Ligue 1 club and has signed a three-and-a-half year contract to the summer of 2013.

Born in Alger, Algeria, the arrival of 20-year-old Linganzi means another promising young face added to Sam Allardyce's squad.

Thats him and Basturk in this window, Benni McCarthy must have been on sizeable wages because they have been saying that if anybody was to come in then somebody would have to go first but we now have two in his place.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,082 ✭✭✭✭Spiritoftheseventies

This related news involving stephen ward and Stephen Hunt from tonights herald
    WOLVES will open talks about a new contract for Irish defender Stephen Ward after the transfer window closes next week.

Dubliner Ward has made more than 100 appearances for Wolves since he joined from Bohs in 2007.

The 24-year-old missed three months of action this season after picking up a knee injury just three games into Wolves' Premier League campaign, but he has since returned to the starting line-up and starred for Mick McCarthy's side in their 0-0 draw with Liverpool on Tuesday.

Ward has a year and a half left on his current deal, but the Portmarnock native is keen to stay and hopes to be able to sign a long-term deal.

"I hope we can get something sorted in relation to the contract. I'm not worrying about it at the moment. When the time comes I will leave it all to my agent to deal with," Ward says.

" I have 18 months left on my contract and I would like to stay here. I love it at Wolves so I would love a new deal, but for now I am concentrating on my own form.

"I think my agent has spoken to the club about a longer deal but it's not on the agenda right now; the club are busy due to the transfer window. Once that is closed then we might have a chat about it. But I would love to stay and sign a long-term deal. I'm very happy here; I am settled in the area and want to stay," he added.

"Wolves have been great for me since I came over from Bohs. Mick McCarthy gave me a chance and put me in the team. We did well as a group by getting promoted last season. I think we have a great chance of staying in the Premier League this season and I want to be a part of that."

One piece of business which is occupying Wolves this week is their bid for Ireland international Stephen Hunt. Hull are reported to have turned down a third bid from Wolves for the Waterford man and their chase for Hunt could go on until the transfer window closes on Monday.

PURSUIT

"We will probably make a fourth and final bid for a player we've been pursuing through January," Wolves CEO Jez Moxey said in relation to ex-Reading man Hunt.

"Let's hope it's enough to make it happen because we are fully aware of the need to stay in the Premier League, and signing the player would improve the squad."

Hunt has been a key figure for Hull this season, making 22 appearances, and is their leading scorer with five goals. He's due to play for Hull against Wolves on Saturday but if he does appear in that game, it could be his final appearance in the Tigers' jersey.

Ward says he'd be delighted to see Hunt join the large Irish colony at Molineux.

"It would be great to have someone like him at the club," said Ward. "Everyone knows his quality and that he's good on the ball but he's also a hard worker.

"He scores a lot of goals and that's something we need, more goals from midfield, and Stephen Hunt would be a huge addition to our squad, if we can get him."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,909 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

There's currently a player undergoing a medical at City's Carrington training ground.

How exciting!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,562 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

Xavi6 wrote: »
    There's currently a player undergoing a medical at City's Carrington training ground.

How exciting!

any idea/rumours who it is?

yabadabado wrote: »
    any idea/rumours who it is?

Yeah I know who it's meant to be but it's not confirmed yet. No one major though.

Xavi6 wrote: »
    Yeah I know who it's meant to be but it's not confirmed yet. No one major though.

Say it so. Some Italian defender?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,246 ✭✭✭Mgoraf

McDonald Mariga.

Mgoraf wrote: »
    McDonald Mariga.

Yeah that's him. Spotted outside apparently, and has been heavily linked over the past few days.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,129 ✭✭✭therokerroar

Benjani is in Sunderland for a medical today, deal will be completed by the end of the week.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,246 ✭✭✭Mgoraf

Been compared to Essien....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭SuprSi

I've always thought he was rubbish.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,097 ✭✭✭DenMan

Hernan Crespo gone back to Parma this morning if it hasn't been mentioned already.

http://www.nj.com/sportsflash/index.ssf?/base/sports-207/1264865351147240.xml&storylist=sports

JPA wrote: »
    I've always thought he was rubbish.

The boy can jump. He'll also be contesting with Bale for the ugliest member of Tottenham Hotspur now.

I wonder if Begovic is set to follow like Storrie said, or will he be joining Stoke.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,277 ✭✭✭CantGetNoSleep

I'd love to see the losses Spurs have made selling players then resigning them for more in the last few years

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,900 ✭✭✭Eire-Dearg

Are *all* Pompey players available this January?

• Advertisement

Eire-Dearg wrote: »
    Are *all* Pompey players available this January?

Yes, Avrams wife is too. I don't think she'll be getting any offers anytime soon though.

While on the subject of Pompey, what do you think of this?
    http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/leagues/premierleague/portsmouth/7104916/Avram-Grant-set-to-quit-as-Portsmouth-manager-after-clash-with-Manchester-City.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,562 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

Victor Moses to wigan 2.5m.clubs have agreed the deal according to sky ,suppose it up to the player now to agree terms

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Clever move by Wigan, should net them a nice profit in a couple of seasons.

Alan Hutton is talks with Sunderland as I type.

Benjani has failed a medical at Sunderland.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,533 ✭✭✭Zonda999

From Yahoo: http://uk.eurosport.yahoo.com/football/multiplex/30940.html
    TOTTENHAM: Sunderland have had a £9m offer for striker Robbie Keane accepted. Spurs are now willing to sell after securing the loan of Eidur Gudjohnsen

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,798 ✭✭✭syngindub

Going to have a few quid on Robbie to grab a goal on his debut. good signing for Bruce.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,258 ✭✭✭MUSEIST

9 mill for a player in brutal form, :eek:a bit of a risk.
    However if he finds hs form he could be a good buy.

Will compliment Bent beautifully, though I wouldn't drop him for Jones unless he's moving on again.

MUSEIST wrote: »
    He hasn't really got back into the team after the ireland france games. He's gone through periods before where the goals have dried up. I can see him getting plenty of goals for Sunderland though. At least he'll be getting regular first team action

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,763 ✭✭✭Jax Teller

Kinda harsh he hasn't been playing a lot lately

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,533 ✭✭✭Zonda999

Tottenham payed 15m for the same player in brutal form just over a year ago!
    Eire-Dearg wrote: »
    Will compliment Bent beautifully, though I wouldn't drop him for Jones unless he's moving on again.

Rumblings of that again now though

Also form yahoo:
    LIVERPOOL: Kenwyne Jones could be on his way to Anfield from Sunderland if the Black Cats manage to sign Robbie Keane from Tottenham (Sunday Mirror)

Lads we haven't had an offer accepted for Keane.

Trust me you'll hear it from me as soon as we do if it happens but I can guarantee that as of 19:00 we have not had an offer accepted.

i'm going to have to stop reading papers :)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,692 ✭✭✭✭OPENROAD

Wayne Rooney has been seen leaving The Emirates this evening :eek::eek:

Bring on SSN on Monday and Transfer deadline day :)

OPENROAD wrote: »
    Wayne Rooney has been seen leaving The Emirates this evening :eek::eek:

Bring on SSN on Monday and Transfer deadline day :)
    Sky-Sports-News-on-Transf-001.jpg

• Advertisement
Advertisement