Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

January transfer window

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 663 ✭✭✭SimpleLogic

Keane is going to Celtic now according too SSN :eek::eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,190 ✭✭✭✭IvySlayer

Man BBC is slow. All I see is some dude constantly bitching that Forest are not signing anybody :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 363 ✭✭Locamon

IvySlayer wrote: »
    Man BBC is slow. All I see is some dude constantly bitching that Forest are not signing anybody :p

BBC quoting Sky news.. time to switch over

Keane move would be great for Celtic

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,793 ✭✭✭✭JPA

Would be a fairly desperate move by Keane.
    They're out of europe with little chance of winning the league.
    Although you'd think he'd tear that league apart.

Middlesbrough sign Scott McDonald from Celtic.
    Paving the way for Keane?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,082 ✭✭✭✭Spiritoftheseventies

JPA wrote: »
    Middlesbrough sign Scott McDonald from Celtic.
    Paving the way for Keane?
    Hopefully he stays a bit longer than the other Keano. Bit worried about Robbie. Not sure if this is right move for him at this stage of his career. Still he has plenty of heart and sure Celtic fans will take to him.

Keane signs for Celtic until the end of the season.
    It's weird, I'd imagine him and Redknapp must have had a major falling out and signing Gudjohnsen, a similar player must have been the last straw.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,804 Mod ✭✭✭✭Keano

IvySlayer wrote: »

All we wanted was a left back :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,213 ✭✭✭✭therecklessone

Keane signs for Celtic until the end of the season.
    It's weird, I'd imagine him and Redknapp must have had a major falling out and signing Gudjohnsen, a similar player must have been the last straw.

Don't see how you come to that conclusion, Keane was dropped cos his form wasn't good enough, and was poor any time he was given a chance to win his place back.

There's no row, just a realisation by both parties that a move was the better option.

Don't see how you come to that conclusion, Keane was dropped cos his form wasn't good enough, and was poor any time he was given a chance to win his place back.

There's no row, just a realisation by both parties that a move was the better option.

Yes but surely Keane is a better backup than Pavlyuchenko? I think Spurs have shot themselves in the foot with this one. They still could have needed him.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,983 ✭✭✭leninbenjamin

Robbie is 29, he hasn't much left at the highest level really. 6 months at Celtic banging in goals puts him in the shop window. Might mean he raises his profile enough to get a decent move next Summer, instead of beginning the long decline into obscurity that often happens to strikers his age. If the alternative was sitting on the bench, then it's not the worst move.

Robbie is 29, he hasn't much left at the highest level really. 6 months at Celtic banging in goals puts him in the shop window. Might mean he raises his profile enough to get a decent move next Summer, instead of beginning the long decline into obscurity that often happens to strikers his age. If the alternative was sitting on the bench, then it's not the worst move.

At 29 he has many years left if he gets his form together. I'm not that much of a Keane fan but I just find this a strange move.

At 29 he has many years left if he gets his form together. I'm not that much of a Keane fan but I just find this a strange move.

Keane won't recover his form without an extended run in a side, which he won't get at Spurs unless one of Defoe/Crouch get injured, he had to move for his own sake.

Pav was available for the right price, nobody was ready to pay that this window.

Hence Keane was sold.

At 29 he has many years left if he gets his form together.

The evidence is very much against that. At 29 most strikers have already peaked, and his uninspiring performances in 2009 could be taken as evidence of this. If you look at the age of most premier league strikers, there aren't too many older than Robbie playing regular football. Drogba, Anelka, Saha and Bellamy are the main ones I can think of, it's a pretty small percentage of all active strikers in the league.

Secondly, as Keane was one of these child prodigies playing regularly since he was a teenager his body will have been through a lot by now. I know it might seem harsh to some but I'd hazard 2-3 years of Premiership level football in him left at most tbh. So a decent 6 months in Celtic might get him the move he needs to seal that. If he doesn't find his form soon he's going to struggle to get a decent contract after his current one expires.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,956 ✭✭✭CHD

Redknapp is a muppet. Keane is a proven EPL striker. I'd rather have him on the bench instead of Pavlyuchenko and Gudjohnsen.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,012 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

The evidence is very much against that. At 29 most strikers have already peaked, and his uninspiring performances in 2009 could be taken as evidence of this. If you look at the age of most premier league strikers, there aren't too many older than Robbie playing regular football. Drogba, Anelka, Saha and Bellamy are the main ones I can think of, it's a pretty small percentage of all active strikers in the league.

Secondly, as Keane was one of these child prodigies playing regularly since he was a teenager his body will have been through a lot by now. I know it might seem harsh to some but I'd hazard 2-3 years of Premiership level football in him left at most tbh. So a decent 6 months in Celtic might get him the move he needs to seal that. If he doesn't find his form soon he's going to struggle to get a decent contract after his current one expires.
    Drobga
    Anelka
    Saha
    Bellamy
    Owen
    Berbatov
    Carew
    Heskey
    Kuyt

CHD wrote: »
    Redknapp is a muppet. Keane is a proven EPL striker. I'd rather have him on the bench instead of Pavlyuchenko and Gudjohnsen.

Hadn't scored a league goal in 3 months, and only scored in 3 league games all season.

Like I said, needed a run of games to recover his form which he was never going to get based on the fact he was playing sh1t when he came on/started.

eagle eye wrote: »
    Drobga
    Anelka
    Saha
    Bellamy

I said those.
    Owen
    doesn't start. Is on a pay as you play contract.
    Berbatov

Younger than Keane. Not playing particularly well either.
    Carew

Has started less than half of Villa's league games this season.
    Heskey

Has started less than half of Villa's league games this season.
    Kuyt

Plays as a midfielder...

doesn't make particularly good reading for players in Keane's age bracket tbh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,129 ✭✭✭therokerroar

CHD wrote: »
    Redknapp is a muppet.

As much as I dislike the man, he's clearly not a muppet. He's made the correct decision.

Drobga
    Anelka
    Saha
    Bellamy
    Owen
    Berbatov(5 months younger) *hardly a huge factor
    Carew
    Heskey
    Kuyt
    Picquionne
    Dindane
    Jan Venegoor of H
    Robbie Blake
    Kevin Davies
    Ivan Klasnic
    Guillermo Franco
    Benni McCarthy
    Ricardo Fuller
    Mamady Sidibe
    James Beattie
    Erik Nevland
    Andy Johnston(6 months younger) *hardly a huge factor
    Bobby Zamora(5 months younger) *hardly a huge factor
    Jason Roberts

You are talking bull, clearly there are young players in the league and they are on the up or on the way out. It doesn't mean that a guy is done at 29, Shearer was still banging in the goals well into this thirties, Henry is currently playing for the best team in the world, he might not be scoring so often but Robbie doesn't have to score to be hugely affective, Drogba is having his best ever season, Anelka was top scorer in the league last year.

• Advertisement

As much as I dislike the man, he's clearly not a muppet. He's made the correct decision.
    He really is. I'd get banned if I said much more.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,525 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

I can't see him geting his mojo back in a team like Celtic. Frustration and the end of his career await, I fear.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

at least he should score a bag full of goals up there, will surely do his confidence some good, jeez, splitting him and Berba up really has been a negative influence on him

For the record to whoever said Berbs performances not great, he is actually playing pretty good this year. he lacks the goals to back it up unfortunatly but his contribution is generally good and generally over looked

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,555 ✭✭✭Gillington

Looking forward to seeing Ilan and Benni for West Ham,did Mido definitely go aswell?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,739 ✭✭✭✭starbelgrade

Teddy Sheringham played in the EPL till he was 40.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,043 ✭✭✭✭L'prof

Teddy Sheringham played in the EPL till he was 40.

He did but, to what level?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,909 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Adam%20Johnson.ashx?as=0&dmc=0&h=450&thn=0&w=800

jasonorr wrote: »

em...premiership level? :D

seriously though, did pretty well at united when he was over the 30 mark, well over it! still involved in the national set up at the age of 35

Drobga (31)
    Anelka (30)
    Saha (31)
    Bellamy(30)
    Owen (30)
    Berbatov(5 months younger) *hardly a huge factor
    Carew (30)
    Heskey (32)
    Kuyt (29)
    Picquionne (31)
    Dindane (29)
    Jan Venegoor of H (31)
    Robbie Blake (33)
    Kevin Davies (32)
    Ivan Klasnic (30)
    Guillermo Franco (33)
    Benni McCarthy (32)
    Ricardo Fuller (30)
    Mamady Sidibe (30)
    James Beattie (31)
    Erik Nevland (32)
    Andy Johnston(6 months younger) *hardly a huge factor
    Bobby Zamora(5 months younger) *hardly a huge factor
    Jason Roberts (32)

You are talking bull

Out of the 24 players you've listed there, a total of 7 are 3 years or older than Keane.

Out of those 7, I think only two start regularly for their team? I'm pretty sure it's less than half anyway.

Out of those 24 players, only 2 are 4 years older than Keane, and neither play regularly for their teams.

My assertion was that Keane only has two or three years left at the highest level, I think that's pretty compelling evidence to support it.

• Advertisement

In fairness, not the highest level, but at the age of 33, he was part of United's treble winning team - crazily enough, they were his first ever major trophies. He then won a further 2 league title medals with them before moving back to Spurs, where he scored 26 goals in 80 games.

At 37, he moved to Portsmouth & knocked in 10 goals in 38 appearances.

kryogen wrote: »
    em...premiership level? :D

seriously though, did pretty well at united when he was over the 30 mark, well over it! still involved in the national set up at the age of 35

Was he injured a lot or did he always have players in front of him! He had a good long career but rarely set the world alight.

Was he injured a lot or did he always have players in front of him! He had a good long career but rarely set the world alight.

was pretty much 1st choice until Yorke came, then he was used in rotation, or an impact sub, he still played at a high level

why does it matter so much to you though? there are always gonna be certain players that beak the norm

He is one of them in fairness

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 10,259 ✭✭✭✭Melion

Very poor move for Adam Johnson IMO. I think another few months with Boro wouldnt have done him any harm, what use is sitting on the City bench?

He had a good long career but rarely set the world alight.

He set the sky over the Nou camp alight when he knocked in that stoppage time goal against Bayern. I should know - I was there to see it. :D

Melion wrote: »
    Very poor move for Adam Johnson IMO. I think another few months with Boro wouldnt have done him any harm, what use is sitting on the City bench?

Someone has to fill Robinho's space there. ;)

• Advertisement

I agree, utterly daft move tbh. I guess the temptation of the Premier league proved too much for him but whoever advises him should be shot. He's moving to a very unstable environment at City and not to mention he probably could have negotiated himself a better deal when his contract expired. Idiot.

ah but he is eligable to play in Europe isnt he, that will come in handy for the...............oh wait, nevermind :)

In fairness, not the highest level, but at the age of 33, he was part of United's treble winning team - crazily enough, they were his first ever major trophies. He then won a further 2 league title medals with them before moving back to Spurs, where he scored 26 goals in 80 games.

At 37, he moved to Portsmouth & knocked in 10 goals in 38 appearances.

then went to West Ham and scored 28 in 76 in the league i think!

was pretty much 1st choice until Yorke came, then he was used in rotation, or an impact sub, he still played at a high level

why does it matter so much to you though? there are always gonna be certain players that beak the norm

He is one of them in fairness

What does that mean? It doesn't really!

He was a good player and did amazingly well to keep playing for so long but, I just never really rated him as one of the top players in the league. Doesn't matter anyway, we're straying off topic.

On Keane, I think he can make an impact at Celtic. He's fallen out of favour at Spurs and it's a shame because he still has something to offer. With Defoe in the form that he is, it's hard to drop him!

What does that mean? It doesn't really!

He was a good player and did amazingly well to keep playing for so long but, I just never really rated him as one of the top players in the league. Doesn't matter anyway, we're straying off topic.

On Keane, I think he can make an impact at Celtic. He's fallen out of favour at Spurs and it's a shame because he still has something to offer. With Defoe in the form that he is, it's hard to drop him!

i just wondered why you were so unwilling to concede that he played some good football well into his thirties!

the debate wasnt about whether players are top class at that stage, although Drogba is almost 32 now isnt he? still very much top class

yeah Robbie is pretty much out of luck at spurs, but he hasnt done anything to warrant a place anyway, hopefully the move will rejuvenate his career

• Advertisement

I agree, utterly daft move tbh. I guess the temptation of the Premier league proved too much for him but whoever advises him should be shot. He's moving to a very unstable environment at City and not to mention he probably could have negotiated himself a better deal when his contract expired. Idiot.

Lol so when a player earns his club a tidy transfer fee for a move he could have made for free in the summer he's an idiot but if he waits until the summer and rides out his contract he's a mercenary with no loyalty to the club that made him. Just goes to show that you can never win.

Out of the 24 players you've listed there, a total of 7 are 3 years or older than Keane.

Out of those 7, I think only two start regularly for their team? I'm pretty sure it's less than half anyway.

Out of those 24 players, only 2 are 4 years older than Keane, and neither play regularly for their teams.

My assertion was that Keane only has two or three years left at the highest level, I think that's pretty compelling evidence to support it.

I took issue with this, especially the bolded bits.

actually, how many clubs is that for that Robbie?

5?6?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 10,259 ✭✭✭✭Melion

Wolves, Coventry, Inter, Leeds, Spurs, Liverpool, Celtic

Have to laugh at Sly Sports, last year he signed for his "boyhood heroes, Liverpool" and now he has signed for his "boyhood idols, Celtic". How are the celtic fans going to tell the difference between him and Mowbray?

i just wondered why you were so unwilling to concede that he played some good football well into his thirties!

the debate wasnt about whether players are top class at that stage, although Drogba is almost 32 now isnt he? still very much top class

yeah Robbie is pretty much out of luck at spurs, but he hasnt done anything to warrant a place anyway, hopefully the move will rejuvenate his career

I think I said in all references that he was a good player, I just didn't concede that he was anything above that and if you rate him next to Drogba then, it doesn't make sense. Anyway, enough of the Teddy talk for me.

Keane was in very good form when Liverpool signed him. Rafa, for a man that paid quite a transfer fee for him, didn't give him a proper chance and since returning to Spurs he hasn't had a decent run of games either. I think he's been unfortunate really.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

I haven't been impressed with Keane at Tottenham from what I've seen of him this season but I think this move could be good for him. It's a chance to go somewhere where he can be a focal point of the team, which doesn't happen for him at Spurs any more, and he can hopefully recapture his form there. If he does so, then Spurs can then contemplate whether to keep hold of him or sell him on for a decent amount to a Premiership club. Everybody wins.

I don't think he will move to Celtic on a permanent basis but while he's there he can give them a real boost and perhaps prove to other Premiership clubs that he's worthy of their services.

The Irish lads, it's in their blood and they dream of playing for Celtic
    Nice generalisation from 'Arry :rolleyes:

Xavi6 wrote: »
    Nice generalisation from 'Arry :rolleyes:
    Can I say what I really think of him and not get banned please?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

I think I said in all references that he was a good player, I just didn't concede that he was anything above that and if you rate him next to Drogba then, it doesn't make sense. Anyway, enough of the Teddy talk for me.

Keane was in very good form when Liverpool signed him. Rafa, for a man that paid quite a transfer fee for him, didn't give him a proper chance and since returning to Spurs he hasn't had a decent run of games either. I think he's been unfortunate really.

i would hazard a guess Keane played more games for Liverpool in his 6 months there than he has since re-joining spurs. he was our joint most played player from Aug-Jan last year. just wasnt up to it unfortunately & we cant afford to have dead wood on huge wages, when an opportunity presented itself to get back most of the cash, we pounced on it.

robbie has the wonderful achievement of being one of Rafas best & worst deals in the transfer market.

Mr Alan wrote: »
    i would hazard a guess Keane played more games for Liverpool in his 6 months there than he has since re-joining spurs. he was our joint most played player from Aug-Jan last year. just wasnt up to it unfortunately & we cant afford to have dead wood on huge wages, when an opportunity presented itself to get back most of the cash, we pounced on it.

robbie has the wonderful achievement of being one of Rafas best & worst deals in the transfer market.

7 goals in 28 appearances for Liverpool. Didn't think he played that much, how many minutes did he get?

He has 14 in 34 for Spurs now.

• Advertisement
Advertisement