Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

January transfer window

18910111214»

Comments

He set the sky over the Nou camp alight when he knocked in that stoppage time goal against Bayern. I should know - I was there to see it. :D

You bastard. :D

As for a few of the happenings of today, I think there seemed to be a few transfers which were very astute and could prove to be real coups for their respective clubs. With Wigan probably having one of the better final days bringing in two strikers to compete up front for them, both with completely different playing styles. Marcelo Moreno may work very well with Hugo, although as there was no fee involved it could merely be filling a gap for Victor Moses to eventually fill. As Jason Scotland looks so incredibly out of his depth in the PL both of these signings will bring much needed competition for places.

As for Fulhams three signings, I don't quite get them, surely Butchmanns for the future, but Shorey is worse than Konchesky, and Okaka is far too raw. I'm sure Roy being the great manager he is will get the most out of them, but, I can't see how it'll improve his squad rather than giving it depth.

As for Robbie signing for Celtic, well, I don't know whether this will be a good move for him or not, he seems to be, a bit weak and has lost quite a lot of the unpredicatability to his game over the last 12 months. He may even struggle to hold down a first team place as Celtic do have an abundance of quality strikers in their ranks ranging from Fortune, Samaras and Kamara.

Now as for Tottenham, I can't quite see how getting rid of Robbie was the smart thing to do, sure they've brought in Neidur good in foward or midfield roles Gudjonson, and they've kept hold of Pavlyuchenko, but surely if Tottenham wanted to get rid of a striker Pav would've been the best option, as he's unsettled, interesting big teams and would demand a hefty transfer fee. While Robbies almost thirty and is a fan favourite, something doesn't add up to me.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,956 ✭✭✭CHD

As for Fulhams three signings, I don't quite get them, surely Butchmanns for the future, but Shorey is worse than Konchesky, and Okaka is far too raw. I'm sure Roy being the great manager he is will get the most out of them, but, I can't see how it'll improve his squad rather than giving it depth.

Depth is exactly what they need. Couple of injuries and they struggle. Dempseys absence has proven a huge loss already. Okaka is a decent player and could well be suited to the EPL.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Had to laugh when how Keane can cope with pressure was mentioned, Liverpool suggests he can't cut it when he is expected to deliver.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,466 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

Xavi6 wrote: »
    Nice generalisation from 'Arry :rolleyes:

no different from most of us saying that Latin players all rdream of playing for Barcelona or Real Madrid

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,956 ✭✭✭CHD

no different from most of us saying that Latin players all rdream of playing for Barcelona or Real Madrid
    Yeah, it is.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,476 ✭✭✭✭Ush1

CHD wrote: »
    Yeah, it is.
    +1

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,983 ✭✭✭leninbenjamin

Lol so when a player earns his club a tidy transfer fee for a move he could have made for free in the summer he's an idiot but if he waits until the summer and rides out his contract he's a mercenary with no loyalty to the club that made him. Just goes to show that you can never win.

Wait, are you saying he left out of loyalty?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,909 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Wait, are you saying he left out of loyalty?

No I'm saying his decision to leave now has benefitted Boro 9 million times more than it would have in six months time. There is no downside to this transfer.

- Moves to bigger club where he can train and play with a much better calibre of players on a daily basis.

- Leaves his boyhood club with more than enough funds to pick up a replacement.

- City don't have to fight it out for his signature in the summer.

The cynics will say he will never get a game. I prefer to look at it in the sense that Robinho is gone and Petrov's contract is up in the summer. Without both of them we have no left wingers apart from a converted striker in Bellmay. We need someone young for that position and he is perfect.

Excellent transfer all round.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,555 ✭✭✭Gillington

No I'm saying his decision to leave now has benefitted Boro 9 million times more than it would have in six months time. There is no downside to this transfer.

- Moves to bigger club where he can train and play with a much better calibre of players on a daily basis.

The cynics will say he will never get a game. I prefer to look at it in the sense that Robinho is gone and Petrov's contract is up in the summer. Without both of them we have no left wingers apart from a converted striker in Bellmay. We need someone young for that position and he is perfect.

No matter who City would have signed there would have been critics slamming the club saying we dont need a player in that position,we've enough players and critics slamming the player for being a money-grabber.

Adam Johnson should prove a good buy for us,LW has aways been a dodgy position for us,I'm a Petrov fan but between injuries and other players he hasnt played as much as we needed him.If needs be Bellamy can go back up front with Johnson on the wing,but next season I reckon he could be a regular which I'd like to see.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,909 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Gillington wrote: »
    No matter who City would have signed there would have been critics slamming the club saying we dont need a player in that position,we've enough players and critics slamming the player for being a money-grabber.

Adam Johnson should prove a good buy for us,LW has aways been a dodgy position for us,I'm a Petrov fan but between injuries and other players he hasnt played as much as we needed him.If needs be Bellamy can go back up front with Johnson on the wing,but next season I reckon he could be a regular which I'd like to see.

And above all it will stop Gareth Barry being dumped out on the left wing when we have no one else like on Sunday. He's being ruined because of it.

Not necessarily. He's under the age of 24 so they were guaranteed compensation for his transfer, and when you consider promotion is worth at least £20m to the club and his departure could potentially jeopardise that...

He moves to a club where there is a lot of instability at the moment. There seems to be a relatively high turnover of playing staff, and questions over the long term future of the manager.

At cost of promotion? It's a possibility you can't deny. He was a very important player for them this season.

That has nothing to do with Johnson :p

I don't know, I know City have a good record with youngsters but he would have had a much better choice of clubs for himself in the Summer. I really don't think this is the right time for a young player to be going to City, when they have such pressure to push forward, seemingly at all costs when you look at how quickly they were willing to discard Robinho.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,043 ✭✭✭✭L'prof

I don't see him having much of a future at City to be honest, maybe in the short term but, I'd expect City to buy an awful lot of players over the next few years and for him to be sold on*.

*Now that I've said it, he'll probably be a revelation!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,213 ✭✭✭✭therecklessone

jasonorr wrote: »
    since returning to Spurs he hasn't had a decent run of games either. I think he's been unfortunate really.

Really?

Started all 14 league games after rejoining, subbed once on 87mins.

Started the first 12 league games of this season, subbed in all but 3 of them.

Sounds like a decent run of games to me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,043 ✭✭✭✭L'prof

Really?

Started all 14 league games after rejoining, subbed once on 87mins.

Started the first 12 league games of this season, subbed in all but 3 of them.

Sounds like a decent run of games to me.

Yep, it does...brainfart!

Not necessarily. He's under the age of 24 so they were guaranteed compensation for his transfer, and when you consider promotion is worth at least £20m to the club and his departure could potentially jeopardise that...

Have you seen where Middlesbrough are in the championship? They've also gotten rid of half of their team and brought in ton's of SPL players who'll have to adapt, they won't be getting promoted this year. Also compensation in comparison to the fee they recieved from City would have been massive, think closer to 500k.
    He moves to a club where there is a lot of instability at the moment. There seems to be a relatively high turnover of playing staff, and questions over the long term future of the manager.

I thought Mancini really impressed the Sheikh and he looks as if he'll be staying there long term?
    At cost of promotion? It's a possibility you can't deny. He was a very important player for them this season.

See my first point.
    I don't know, I know City have a good record with youngsters but he would have had a much better choice of clubs for himself in the Summer. I really don't think this is the right time for a young player to be going to City, when they have such pressure to push forward, seemingly at all costs when you look at how quickly they were willing to discard Robinho.

I don't think its actually that bad of a move, he will get playing time as he'll only be in competition with Martin Petrov for the left flank. Remember Petrov is aging and is losing his pace. Its also somewhat obvious that Robinho is unhappy in Manchester and probably won't be going back after his loan spell in Brazil. He will get game time! Shocker I know! :eek:

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

Dunno if these were posted, but yesterday the big signings in Italy were Mcdonald Mariga to Inter from Parma on a co-ownership deal and Amantino Mancini to Milan from Inter (dunno if it's a loan of a free transfer but no money being mentioned anywhere...).

Mariga is the type of centre mid José likes, big, strong and quick, will run his bollocks off, similar to Sully Muntari like that, not amazingly technically gifted but total commitment.

Mancini, is, when playing well, one of the best wingers in the world, and if Milan can continue their habit of rehabilitating players and giving them back their love of football then he could be a very good signing and a great partner or alternative to Ronaldinho.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,082 ✭✭✭✭Spiritoftheseventies

Seaneh wrote: »

Mariga is the type of centre mid José likes, big, strong and quick, will run his bollocks off, has zero gravity, climbs all over the defender, similar to Sully Muntari like that, not amazingly technically gifted but total commitment.

FYP ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,012 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

I don't think its actually that bad of a move, he will get playing time as he'll only be in competition with Martin Petrov for the left flank. Remember Petrov is aging and is losing his pace. Its also somewhat obvious that Robinho is unhappy in Manchester and probably won't be going back after his loan spell in Brazil. He will get game time! Shocker I know! :eek:
    Bellamy is playing down the left, Petrov has been playing on the right recently so he is behind both of them.

I'd say he's ahead of Petrov now. As for Bellamy, I'd hazard a guess he may be used as a super sub.

Have you seen where Middlesbrough are in the championship? They've also gotten rid of half of their team and brought in ton's of SPL players who'll have to adapt, they won't be getting promoted this year.

Last time I checked they were only 4 points off the playoffs? They may not be favourites but you cannot write them off when there is almost half a season to go.
    Also compensation in comparison to the fee they recieved from City would have been massive, think closer to 500k.

It'd have been more than 500k. I'd have thought they could expect at least the 3 mil City got for Sturridge.

It's not just about game time though. I mean I know it's the priority for someone his age but there's still a lot of off-the-field development for someone his age. He may not be a teenager, but he's still young enough that a bit of nurturing wouldn't go amiss. I know from Arsenal's p.o.v. you have the likes of Bentley and Sidwell who left to get game time, yet after a bright start they never really capitalised on their talents.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,477 ✭✭✭grenache

No new players for Forest and we've failed to extend Nicky Shorey's loan from Villa. He's now gone to Fulham on loan and we're screwed for a left back! :(

http://www.premierleague.com/page/Headlines/0,,12306~1919898,00.html
    anyway to finish off things, the full list of ins and outs. thanks to all who "contributed". same time next year folks ;)
    Arsenal

IN: Sol Campbell (free agent), Samuel Galindo (Real America, undisclosed)

OUT: Philippe Senderos (Everton, loan), Jack Wilshere (Bolton Wanderers, loan), Wojciech Szczesny (Brentford, loan)

Aston Villa

Aston Villa

IN:

OUT: Craig Gardner (Birmingham City, £3m), Nicky Shorey (Fulham, loan), Shane Lowry (Leeds United, loan)

birmingham city

Birmingham City

IN: Michel (Sporting Gijon, £3m), Craig Gardner (Aston Villa, £3m)

OUT: Martin Taylor (Watford, free), Marcus Bent (QPR, loan), Damien Johnson (Plymouth Argyle, free), Gary McSheffrey (Leeds United, loan) Giovanny Espinoza (released), Jordan Mutch (Doncaster Rovers, loan)

Blackburn Rovers

Blackburn Rovers

IN: Yildiray Basturk (Stuttgart, undisclosed)

OUT: Elrio van Heerden (Sivasspor, free), Zurab Khizanishvili (Reading, loan), Frank Fielding (Rochdale, loan), Benni McCarthy (West Ham United, undisclosed), Keith Treacy (Preston North End, undisclosed)

bolton wanderers

Bolton Wanderers

IN: Vladimir Weiss (Manchester City, loan), Jack Wilshere (Arsenal, loan)

OUT: Nicky Hunt (Derby County, loan), Temitope Obadeyi (Rochdale, loan)

burnley

Burnley

IN: Frederic Nimani (Monaco, loan), Nicky Weaver (Dundee United, undisclosed), Leon Cort (Stoke City, £1.5m), Danny Fox (Celtic, undisclosed), David Nugent (Portsmouth, loan), Jack Cork (Chelsea, loan),

OUT: Jonathan Lund (Rotherham United, loan), Jay Rodriguez (Barnsley, loan)

Chelsea

Chelsea

IN:

OUT: Tom Taiwo (Carlisle United, undisclosed), Jack Cork (Burnley, loan), Patrick van Aanholt (Newcastle United, loan)

Everton

Everton

IN: Landon Donovan (LA Galaxy, loan), Philippe Senderos (Arsenal, loan)

OUT: Lucas Neill (Galatasaray, £750,000)

Fulham

Fulham

IN: Stefano Okaka (Roma, loan), Nicky Shorey (Aston Villa, loan), Christopher Buchtmann (Liverpool, undisclosed)

OUT: Eddie Johnson (Aris FC, loan), Adam Watts (Lincoln City, undisclosed), Seol Ki-Hyeon (Pohang Steelers, free), Diomansy Kamara (Celtic, loan), Tony Kallio (Sheffield United, loan), Wayne Brown (Bristol Rovers, loan)

Hull City

Hull City

IN: Amr Zaki (Zamalek, loan)

OUT: Daniel Cousin (Larissa, loan), Peter Halmosi (Szombathelyi Haladas, loan)

Liverpool

Liverpool

IN: Maxi Rodriguez (Atletico Madrid, free)

OUT: Andrea Dossena (Napoli, undisclosed), Andriy Voronin (Dinamo Moscow, undisclosed), Christopher Buchtmann (Fulham, undisclosed)

manchester city

Manchester City

IN: Patrick Vieira (Inter Milan, undisclosed), Adam Johnson (Manchester City, undisclosed)

OUT: Felipe Caicedo (Malaga, loan), Jo (Galatasaray, loan), Vladimir Weiss (Bolton Wanderers, loan), Donal McDermott (Scunthorpe United, loan), Robinho (Santos, loan) Javan Vidal (Derby County, loan), Benjani (Sunderland, loan)

Manchester United

Manchester United

IN:

OUT: Zoran Tosic (Cologne, loan) Danny Welbeck (Preston North End, loan), Danny Simpson (Newcastle United, undisclosed),

Portsmouth

Portsmouth

IN: Quincy Owusu-Abeyie (Spartak Moscow, loan), Jamie O'Hara (Tottenham Hotspur, loan)

OUT: Marlon Pack (Dagenham and Redbridge, loan), Luke Wilkinson (Northampton Town, loan), Paris Cowan-Hall (Grimsby Town, loan), Mike Williamson (Newcastle United, undisclosed), Younes Kaboul (Tottenham Hotspur, undisclosed), David Nugent (Burnley, loan), Asmir Begovic (Stoke City, £3.25m), Gauthier Mahoto (Bastia, free)

stoke city

Stoke City

IN: Asmir Begovic (Portsmouth, £3.25m)

OUT: Richard Cresswell (Sheffield United, undisclosed), Andy Griffin (Reading, loan), Tom Soares (Sheffield Wednesday, loan), Leon Cort (Burnley, £1.5m), Michael Tonge (Derby County, loan), Ben Marshall (Carlisle United, loan)

sunderland

Sunderland

IN: Matthew Kilgallon (Sheffield United, undisclosed), Alan Hutton (Tottenham Hotspur, loan), Benjani (Manchester City, loan)

OUT: Daryl Murphy (Ipswich Town, loan), Nyron Nosworthy (Sheffield United), David Healy (Ipswich Town, loan)

tottenham hotspur

Tottenham Hotspur

IN: Eidur Gudjohnsen (Monaco, loan), Younes Kaboul (Portsmouth, undisclosed)

OUT: Tomas Pekhart (FK Jablonec, undisclosed), Jake Livermore (Peterborough United, loan), Giovanni dos Santos (Galatasaray, loan), Kyle Naughton (Middlesbrough, loan), Troy Archibald-Henville (Exeter City, undisclosed), Robbie Keane (Celtic, loan)

West Ham United

West Ham United

IN: Benni McCarthy (Blackburn Rovers, undisclosed), Mido (Middlesbrough, loan), Ilan (free agent)

OUT: Nigel Quashie (Queens Park Rangers, free)

Wigan Athletic

Wigan Athletic

IN: Vladimir Stojkovic (Sporting Lisbon, loan), Steven Gohouri (free agent), Gary Caldwell (Celtic, undisclosed), Victor Moses (Crystal Palace, undisclosed), Marcelo Moreno (Shakhtar Donetsk, loan)

OUT: Won Hee Cho (Suwon Samsung Bluewings, loan), Olivier Kapo (Boulogne, loan), Danil de Ridder (Hapoel Tel Aviv, loan)

wolverhampton wanderers

Wolverhampton Wanderers

IN: Geoffrey Mujangi Bia (RSC Charleroi, loan), Adlene Guedioura (RSC Charleroi, loan)

OUT: Darren Ward (Millwall, undisclosed), Carl Ikeme (Queens Park Rangers, loan), Neil Collins (Preston North End, undisclosed)

The transfer window closed at 5pm GMT on Monday 1st February.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

lol you're some legend bayview :D

and as one final footnote, Stephen Ireland is set to be offloaded by Mancini according to yesterdays Mail on Sunday.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,326 ✭✭✭✭ctrl-alt-delete

and as one final footnote, Stephen Ireland is set to be offloaded by Mancini according to yesterdays Mail on Sunday.

http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,11676_5891266,00.html

You need to add that one to your Blackburn list bof in's.

Advertisement