Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

January transfer window

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,153 ✭✭✭everdead.ie

I wonder it would be the begining of a new cycle for liverpool Rafa would have the chance to clear some deadwood out and buy top quality replacements

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 10,259 ✭✭✭✭Melion

Headshot wrote: »
    tomorrow newspapers are running with inter milan in for gerrard
    40m deal

Maybe controversial here but if Rafa got all of that money, snap their hand off. £40m for a nearly 30yr old midfielder doesnt come along too often and would probably buy Villa & Silva/Mata

Melion wrote: »
    Maybe controversial here but if Rafa got all of that money, snap their hand off. £40m for a nearly 30yr old midfielder doesnt come along too often and would probably buy Villa & Silva/Mata
    Isn't villa ment to be ~£40m anyway so you'd only be able to pick up one of those players really:eek: shocking how far money doesn't stretch these days

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,584 ✭✭✭Rekop dog

I really hope some team snap up Wes Hoolahan this January! He's playing football far beyond the quality of league 1 and honestly think he is premiership standard.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,235 ✭✭✭✭flahavaj

Isn't villa ment to be ~£40m anyway so you'd only be able to pick up one of those players really:eek: shocking how far money doesn't stretch these days

I think Villa would definitely cost more than Gerrard could fetch.

Not to mention that if he is sold, Rafa will only be given a small portion if any to re-invest given the clubs debts.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭UpTheSlashers

Which Paper linked Freddy Adu with Hull today?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,477 ✭✭✭grenache

Rekop dog wrote: »
    I really hope some team snap up Wes Hoolahan this January! He's playing football far beyond the quality of league 1 and honestly think he is premiership standard.
    He and Holt have been Norwich's best players no doubt. However there's an enormous gap between the top of League One and the Premiership. I think he could make a big impact in the Championship. He was defo one of Blackpool's shining lights when he last played in that division. But he wouldn't get anyway near the amount of time and space he currently gets, in the Premiership.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,299 ✭✭✭BERBA

grenache wrote: »
    He and Holt have been Norwich's best players no doubt. However there's an enormous gap between the top of League One and the Premiership. I think he could make a big impact in the Championship. He was defo one of Blackpool's shining lights when he last played in that division. But he wouldn't get anyway near the amount of time and space he currently gets, in the Premiership.

not if you were watching utd and leeds today there wasnt !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

Which Paper linked Freddy Adu with Hull today?

News of the World.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,082 ✭✭✭✭Spiritoftheseventies

grenache wrote: »
    Yes would like to see Hoolahan get a shot at Premiership football. Where is he being played these days.

• Advertisement

Bruce intrested in Bently the sun says how much is the question tho i'm sure Bruce would expect us to pay a good bit to get him to take him off our hands:eek::pac:

Bruce intrested in Bently the sun says how much is the question tho i'm sure Bruce would expect us to pay a good bit to get him to take him off our hands:eek::pac:
    Talk that Rafa maybe making a bid for John Carew who played under him at Valencia.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,879 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

Talk that Rafa maybe making a bid for John Carew who played under him at Valencia.

Like with Heskey, I see no reason Villa would sell one of their forwards atm let alone sell one to Liverpool. Even if they did it would be at a higher price than the player is perhaps worth considering their age.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 10,259 ✭✭✭✭Melion

Goran Pandev signed for Inter today on a free transfer, a bit annoyed Liverpool didnt seem to be in for him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,793 ✭✭✭✭JPA

Melion wrote: »
    Goran Pandev signed for Inter today on a free transfer, a bit annoyed Liverpool didnt seem to be in for him.

I'd say that was lined up a long time ago.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,555 ✭✭✭Gillington

JPA wrote: »
    I'd say that was lined up a long time ago.

Yeah I read the Inter link a few weeks ago,is he clear to play in Europe?

Talk of Bentley to Ath Madrid or Sunderland

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,255 ✭✭✭anonymous_joe

Gillington wrote: »
    Yeah I read the Inter link a few weeks ago,is he clear to play in Europe?

Talk of Bentley to Ath Madrid or Sunderland

Well Lazio haven't allowed him play, so I'm sure he'd have to be free.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

Yes would like to see Hoolahan get a shot at Premiership football. Where is he being played these days.
    He's not good enough for the PL.

Definitely.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,369 ✭✭✭UnitedIrishman

Patrick Vieira joining City at the end of the week according to SSN round-up of transfers. Reckons he's cutting his contract with Inter at end of the week.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,920 ✭✭✭AnCapaillMor

Patrick Vieira joining City at the end of the week according to SSN round-up of transfers. Reckons he's cutting his contract with Inter at end of the week.

I'll cry if that happens.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,128 ✭✭✭thorbarry

Me too

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,658 ✭✭✭✭Peyton Manning

So will most City fans I imagine. A shadow of his former self, if he takes playing time away from the likes of De Jong or Kompany, or even Michael Johnson, I'd be pissed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,570 ✭✭✭✭Frisbee

9.19 Birmingham City are being linked with a move for Liverpool winger Ryan Babel, and Blues boss Alex McLeish has not ruled out a 'marquee' signing.

Decent move for both parties if true
    10.35 Atletico Madrid winger Maxi Rodriguez is close to joining Liverpool according to his agent Jurgen Milewski.

Weird one, isn't he their captain?
    10.50 Lyon have confirmed an interest in signing Patrick Vieira, but admit other clubs are keen on the Inter Milan midfielder. Manchester City and Barcelona are rumoured to be leading the chase for the former Arsenal captain.

Very weird one, Barca in for Vieira? Can't see there being any truth whatsoever to this one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

He was until last season.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,658 ✭✭✭✭Peyton Manning

Apparently Freddy Adu is on his way to either Hull or Aris (Greek club).

He updated his twitter the other day, saying "hey guys i have some tough decisions to make. I have a pretty good idea what i want to do because its about playing time and my development."

• Advertisement

Will leave this to xavi but is city turning into "Im a celebrity get me in a blues shirt" show. Viera (maybe), Adebayor, Bellamy, Robinho. I can see it now. future chairman Davina McCall comes on at half time and says "lets be having you"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,900 ✭✭✭Eire-Dearg

Archimedes wrote: »
    Apparently Freddy Adu is on his way to either Hull or Aris (Greek club).

He updated his twitter the other day, saying "hey guys i have some tough decisions to make. I have a pretty good idea what i want to do because its about playing time and my development."
    With Jozy Altidore already at Hull Adu might want to join up with him.

He was the next best thing a few years back.

btw is there a case of January transfer window being extended if lets say there is a late development with Portsmouth or West Ham?

There have been rumours that there could be a swap(loan) with David Bently heading to Athletico and Maxi Rodriguez to spurs before the end of the month

There have been rumours that there could be a swap(loan) with David Bently heading to Athletico and Maxi Rodriguez to spurs before the end of the month
    Is this breaking news. Because by all accounts Rodriguez is set to be joining Pool in next 48 hours. That was what papers were saying today.

• Advertisement

No it's been going on since Summer back in the news on goal.com and tribalfootball rags of the net etc

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,299 ✭✭✭BERBA

With us having the 2 croats and lennon he wouldnt get a game with us , he's better off going to anfield where he'd get game time.

BERBA wrote: »
    With us having the 2 croats and lennon he wouldnt get a game with us , he's better off going to anfield where he'd get game time.
    Between Harry, MON & Mancini They could be trying to stop rafa getting any re-inforcements buy everything in rafa's price bracket:p

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,233 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

Why would spurs want Rodriguez when they have Lennon?

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

Why would spurs want Rodriguez when they have Lennon?
    maybe because Lennon's injured?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,213 ✭✭✭✭therecklessone

btw is there a case of January transfer window being extended if lets say there is a late development with Portsmouth or West Ham?

I very much doubt any consideration will be given the either sides problems when it comes time to close the window.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Rodriguez negotiations confirmed by his agent, looks like its 2.5 year deal.

I very much doubt any consideration will be given the either sides problems when it comes time to close the window.
    Yes would think the players would want the current payment crisis resolved fairly soon to give them time to find other clubs. Would think the two clubs are under pressure now to get something sorted although I understand Portsmouth had to give their television rights money away to pay off some of their debts.

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,233 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

maybe because Lennon's injured?
    For a month, with Kranjcar as reasonable back up?

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,213 ✭✭✭✭therecklessone

although I understand Portsmouth had to give their television rights money away to pay off some of their debts.

The PL transferred their next installment of TV money directly to the other PL clubs who were owed outstanding installments of transfer fees under a provision agreed between all of the clubs a few years ago.

• Advertisement

out of favour pool striker Voronin apparently on his way to Dinamo Moscow for £2 million fee.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,625 ✭✭✭✭Johner

Freddy Adu has signed on loan for Aris. He's well travelled now, Portugal,France and Greece. Still been ****e at all of the clubs he's been at, would have liked to see him in the Premier League just to see how he gets on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,793 ✭✭✭✭JPA

WEST HAM believe they can wrap up the signing of controversial striker Adrian Mutu early next week.

The Hammers want the disgraced former Chelsea star, 30, to help them stave off relegation to the *Championship.

And they are close to agreeing the loan move with Fiorentina and hope he will be available for the trip to Aston Villa on January 17.

Gianfranco Zola wants his former Stamford Bridge team-mate to provide goals.

And Mutu is ready to make a return to the Premier League.

The Romanian striker left Chelsea with his *reputation in tatters when he was sacked for cocaine use in October 2004.

Chelsea then sued Mutu, who was ordered to pay £13.8m in compensation to the club.

Since then he has enjoyed largely uneventful spells in Italy with Juventus and Fiorentina, but Hammers boss Zola now wants him.

Hammers sporting director Gianluca Nani originally distanced himself from reports the club were tracking Mutu.

But Starsport *understands he could arrive in London next week, in time to make his debut at Villa Park.

Forgive me if I'm a bit out of touch but isn't Mutu one of their best players? Has he fallen out with management or is this the BS it seems?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,625 ✭✭✭✭Johner

He comes from the Ivory Coast, Kalou, Kalou,
    He don't do coke like Adrian Mutu, Mutu,
    He crossed the ball from the left,
    It landed right on Riise's head,
    That's why we love Salomon Kalou,
    La la la la la la la la la...

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 4,726 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzovision

Johner wrote: »

But we don't ;)

Johner wrote: »
    I'm trying to think of a word that is the the opposite to real.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

JPA wrote: »
    Forgive me if I'm a bit out of touch but isn't Mutu one of their best players? Has he fallen out with management or is this the BS it seems?

Load of balls.

Mutu started and scored tonight.

He was out injured for 2 months though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,909 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

James Richardson was talking about Mutu on the podcast this week. Says the club just want rid. Very strange considering they're still heavily involved in Europe.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,977 ✭✭✭Soby

Was Freddy Adu ever good or was it just the hype from championship manager lol

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,909 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Soby wrote: »
    Was Freddy Adu ever good or was it just the hype from championship manager lol

Youngest player to score in the MLS and also for the US national team I believe. Definitely had potential, though maybe not as much as those of us who snapped him up for free as a 13 year old thought!

Advertisement