Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

January transfer window

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,900 ✭✭✭Eire-Dearg

Headshot wrote: »
    edit

Gerardo Bruna
    insua
    masch
    possible maxi
    Bruna is Spanish.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,681 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

Eire-Dearg wrote: »
    Bruna is Spanish.

wiki strikes again I see

wiki strikes again I see

actually

he was born in Argentina

so technically im right :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,082 ✭✭✭✭Spiritoftheseventies

actually

he was born in Argentina

so technically im right :)
    Very good. mouse back in the hole ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

He was born in Argentina in fairness...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,900 ✭✭✭Eire-Dearg

I didn't know that :) All I knows is he played - or at least was selected - for a few underage Spanish sides. Hence my thinking he was from Spanish.

Eire-Dearg wrote: »
    I didn't know that :) All I knows is he played - or at least was selected - for a few underage Spanish sides. Hence my thinking he was from Spanish.
    Anyway to get this discussion back on track James has been linked to Man united according to sky.
    http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,12876_5840892,00.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,407 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

So Vieira has moved, yes (the amount of half baked rumours that get posted up makes me lol)?

- it's an 18 month deal, so City have him when he is 33 and 34, which is fine;
    - at present he is not an upgrade purely in terms of playing ability, but he adds depth;
    - what City lack big time at the moment is leadership and players with the experience of winning, Vieira brings bundles of that type of stuff to the table;

I see the move as an overall positive, with relatively little downside given the length of the deal and the amount of money involved. At this stage of his career, Vieira won't perform to a high level week in, week out. But he's a nice option to wheel out once every 10 - 14 days. If used correctly, you can expect a couple of big games out of him. And given City's budget, they can afford to pay a premium for 5 - 10 big performances over 18 months. During the 2005 - 2006 season, a 34 year old Roy Keane was MotM against France at Landsdowne road, at Ibrox against Rangers, and locked up Gerrard for a huge portion of a league game at Anfield - the three biggest games he played that season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,246 ✭✭✭Esse85

Vieira's legs are gone IMO

• Advertisement

Esse85 wrote: »
    Vieira's legs are gone IMO

So you don't think he can play as a defensive center mid for 90 minutes once every couple of weeks? You don't think he can play for 90 minutes period? Or you don't think he can play 90 minutes in the premiership competently?

Clarification of the above would be appreciated. The man made 31 appearances for a Championship winning team last year, and has played 19 times this year. When was the last time you saw him play?

Okay lads rather then setting up a different thread was wondering if short term contracts as the ones handed out to Maxi Rodriguez for 18 months is likely to a regular occurence in the future especially given the influence which agents are now wielding.

Okay lads rather then setting up a different thread was wondering if short term contracts as the ones handed out to Maxi Rodriguez for 18 months is likely to a regular occurence in the future especially given the influence which agents are now wielding.

Well, for players over 27 / 28, it is probably the club pushing for shorter contracts rather than the Agents. The reasons why should be glaringly obvious to you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,153 ✭✭✭everdead.ie

18 month contracts make absolutely no sense to a player who is young or a superstar basically lets them sign on a bosman if they/the club have a bad season.

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    Well, for players over 27 / 28, it is probably the club pushing for shorter contracts rather than the Agents. The reasons why should be glaringly obvious to you.
    Maybe so but would have thought it is also down to the credit crunch as well. But for maybe the one or two per cent at each club i think the contracts are going to be shorter from now on.

Maybe so but would have thought it is also down to the credit crunch as well. But for maybe the one or two per cent at each club i think the contracts are going to be shorter from now on.

Yes it is, clubs are getting smarter. Once a player is over 27, 3 - 5 year deals are rarely going to make a lot of sense, as there is a huge difference in the market value of a 28 and 31 year old.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,983 ✭✭✭leninbenjamin

A lot of the bigger clubs are surviving on credit to conduct their day to business, and has credit facilities have tightened clubs are understandably cutting back on (some) superfluous spending. Long contracts from older players are a much higher risk investment.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,246 ✭✭✭Esse85

So you don't think he can play as a defensive center mid for 90 minutes once every couple of weeks? You don't think he can play for 90 minutes period? Or you don't think he can play 90 minutes in the premiership competently?

Clarification of the above would be appreciated. The man made 31 appearances for a Championship winning team last year, and has played 19 times this year. When was the last time you saw him play?
    To answer your first question, i think City have far better options that can play DM ahead of Vieira, Kompany De Jong and Barry spring to mind.

2nd question, i think he'll be found out playing 90 mins, i dont think he'll cope with the pace of the EPL. City if they want a top 4 finish should be signing a top class player in his peak, not an ageing injury prone hothead like Vieira. The signing reminds me of the times when Man Utd signed Blanc from Inter and Liverpool resigned Fowler, both were flops and both moves should not of happened.

I dont care whether he played 131 games last season or 91 games this season, the fact is, Serie A is played at far slower a pace than is the EPL hence why there's so many older players still playing there. The EPL will be faster now than it was when Vieira last played there. Take Veron, Shevchenko, Crespo, Dossena, all flops that couldnt keep up to the pace of the EPL coming from Serie A.

Last season was when i saw him play last.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,842 ✭✭✭s8n

Blanc to utd was far from a flop, all you have to look at is how far he progressed Rio alone to see that !

A lot of the bigger clubs are surviving on credit to conduct their day to business, and has credit facilities have tightened clubs are understandably cutting back on (some) superfluous spending. Long contracts from older players are a much higher risk investment.
    Yes Voronin seemed to be with us for an awful long time and it was very business in the end.

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,233 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

I imagine Viera is being brought in more for his influence and experience than his playing ability

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Advertisement

Esse85 wrote: »
    To answer your first question, i think City have far better options that can play DM ahead of Vieira, Kompany De Jong and Barry spring to mind.

2nd question, i think he'll be found out playing 90 mins, i dont think he'll cope with the pace of the EPL. City if they want a top 4 finish should be signing a top class player in his peak, not an ageing injury prone hothead like Vieira. The signing reminds me of the times when Man Utd signed Blanc from Inter and Liverpool resigned Fowler, both were flops and both moves should not of happened.

I dont care whether he played 131 games last season or 91 games this season, the fact is, Serie A is played at far slower a pace than is the EPL hence why there's so many older players still playing there. The EPL will be faster now than it was when Vieira last played there. Take Veron, Shevchenko, Crespo, Dossena, all flops that couldnt keep up to the pace of the EPL coming from Serie A.

Last season was when i saw him play last.

Cheers, good post. Hmm, you make some good points, the different pace of the game in the two leagues is something I didn't weight heavily enough.
    s8n wrote: »
    Blanc to utd was far from a flop, all you have to look at is how far he progressed Rio alone to see that !
    I imagine Viera is being brought in more for his influence and experience than his playing ability

But I still think the above is hugely important - particularly given the current make up of their squad.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

Llyod, he was fairly shown up in the recent cl games against english opposition. Its a very strange move imo.

Mr Alan wrote: »
    Llyod, he was fairly shown up in the recent cl games against english opposition. Its a very strange move imo.

?

He played a half against Utd last season, and was taken off as part of a tactical rejig with them chasing the game. Didn't see any definitive evidence of anything regarding his ability in that tie.

Well he was always able. You dont lose that. You just become slower. One of the most graceful midfielders around in his day.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

and against ourselves when we won home and away. If he still had it, jose would be keeping him imo, especially when you take into account the slower pace over there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,793 ✭✭✭✭JPA

I'd say 90% of football fans are waiting to be proven wrong about Vieira, i.e. most think he's past it. To me, he seems a shadow of the player he was.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,778 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

Vieira has shown himself to be something of a whinger in the last few months.

City hardly need another prima-donna throwing his toys out of the prams when things don't go his way...

keane2097 wrote: »
    Vieira has shown himself to be something of a whinger in the last few months.

City hardly need another prima-donna throwing his toys out of the prams when things don't go his way...
    Unlike Roy Keane who.. ;)

How random.

JPA wrote: »
    How random.
    Not really. Could have mentioned Cristiano Ronaldo as well but Roy Keane easier to type ;)

• Advertisement

He played a half against Utd last season, and was taken off as part of a tactical rejig with them chasing the game. Didn't see any definitive evidence of anything regarding his ability in that tie.

Tactical rejig, my ass. He was the worst player on the pitch that day. He's slowed down a lot since he left Arsenal, Italy suited him somewhat but even then games often pass him by. He just doesn't look sharp, hasn't since that final season at Arsenal.

Not really. Could have mentioned Cristiano Ronaldo as well but Roy Keane easier to type ;)

I'm making a point about Man City having a number of temperamental personalities in their dressing room.

I'm suggesting that continually adding more to the mix will eventually cause the cauldron to boil over.

What are you doing?

keane2097 wrote: »
    I'm making a point about Man City having a number of temperamental personalities in their dressing room.

I'm suggesting that continually adding more to the mix will eventually cause the cauldron to boil over.

What are you doing?
    Move might do him good. lets leave it at that.

Move might do him good. lets leave it at that.

Robbie Fowler.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

Viera to city imo doesnt add alot in terms of playing ability

But he is a good addition still i believe for his stature, his experience, and he will be a great voice to have in the dressing room

City may not benefit too much from this, they may not need him on the pitch itself alot, but it is a no lose situation for them given the reasons above

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,235 ✭✭✭✭flahavaj

......repeatedly put manners on a certain Mr Viera.:pac:

tomorrows newspapers

sol campbell in Gunners stunner

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,909 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

s8n wrote: »
    Blanc to utd was far from a flop,
    Open to correction but I believe it went -

Blackburn Liverpool Arsenal Newcastle Chelsea

tomorrows newspapers

Any links HS bai?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

Blanc had by all accounts a great impact on the club

flahavaj wrote: »
    Any links HS bai?

you and your bai again
    bloody foreign language

heres the link
    http://www.dailystar.co.uk/football/view/116061/Sol-Campbell-in-shock-Arsenal-return/
    SOL CAMPBELL is poised to make a sensational return to Arsenal.

Boss Arsene Wenger will offer the 35-year-old centre-back a contract until the end of the season –

as long as he can offload Philippe Senderos.

Campbell has been training with the Gunners since quitting Notts County at the end of September.

He has impressed Wenger with his fitness and form and, with Switzerland international Senderos desperate to quit, an amazing second stint at Arsenal looks on the cards for Campbell.

Hull and Newcastle had looked in pole position to land the 73-times capped England international, who has also played for Portsmouth and Tottenham.

Senderos, 24, has fallen out of favour with Wenger, having spent all last season on loan at AC Milan and only featuring twice for the Gunners this season – with the kids in the Carling Cup.

Everton – who failed with a £3m bid for Senderos in the summer – Blackburn, and Bayern Munich are all interested in him.

A Campbell return would make him the first player to be re-signed by Wenger in 14 seasons at the club.

Wenger dropped a massive hint about his intentions recently when he said: “At the moment, we have four centre-backs and we will always have four.

“If one would go, then I would consider it (signing Campbell), but at the moment we are four, so I have no need to sign anybody.

“I love Sol Campbell and the fact he came back here and wanted to practice with us shows he loves the club as well. You never say never in these situations.”

And last night chairman Peter Hill-Wood said: “Arsene doesn’t talk to me about these things, but I know he has always liked Sol so I wouldn’t be surprised if it happened.”

I'd be surprised at that to be honest. Daily Star at the end of the day. What with Viera coming back its like a reunion.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,043 ✭✭✭✭L'prof

......repeatedly put manners on a certain Mr Viera.:pac:

...yeah...

lol, tabloid rag peddling ridiculous rubbish. News at 11

tomorrows newspapers

lolwut?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,153 ✭✭✭everdead.ie

tomorrows newspapers

Picture of Sol Campbell in a compromising position with a female fan:pac:

Picture of Sol Campbell in a compromising position with a female fan:pac:

I'm not touching that one.:pac:

Heard a rumour from a City fan in work that City are looking at Seba Veron as well. Now I know hes ben playing some great stuff in Argentina, but surely a bad move for City at his age and considering the English game didn't seem to suit him last time?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,414 ✭✭✭kraggy

I'm not touching that one.:pac:

Heard a rumour from a City fan in work that City are looking at Seba Veron as well. Now I know hes ben playing some great stuff in Argentina, but surely a bad move for City at his age and considering the English game didn't seem to suit him last time?

He has already turned down the offer. He's staying in Argentina. Cited family reasons.

lolwut?
    He has been back training with Arsenal for a few weeks apparently. Vierra will be on £140, 000 a week radio reports are saying.

Shakhtar Donetsk have swooped to sign Brazilian starlet Douglas Costa.

The highly-rated 19-year-old, who was previously a target for Manchester United, has agreed a deal with the Ukrainian giants.

Shakhtar, who have a history of signing players from Brazil and already have seven in their squad, have paid more than £5million to Gremio to land Douglas.

Douglas admits the whole deal has happened quickly and been a shock to him.

"I was not expecting it," he said. "I only thought of Gremio.

"Today I think about Donetsk and I'm extremely happy.

"That's two times they tried to sign me. I do not know if this is the right time to leave but I mostly thought about my family."

:rolleyes: 20 million me arse.

• Advertisement
Advertisement