Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

January transfer window

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,658 ✭✭✭✭Peyton Manning

They also signed Alex Teixeira, thus completing their Football Manager Fantasy XI.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,082 ✭✭✭✭Spiritoftheseventies

flahavaj wrote: »
    I'm not touching that one.:pac:

Heard a rumour from a City fan in work that City are looking at Seba Veron as well. Now I know hes ben playing some great stuff in Argentina, but surely a bad move for City at his age and considering the English game didn't seem to suit him last time?
    Juan Sebastian Veron has revealed that he rejected a move from Estudiantes to Manchester City because he feels he should stick by the decision he took to return to Argentine football.

He also maintained that staying put was better for his family and money was not a consideration at this stage of his career.

"I talked to [Manchester City boss Roberto] Mancini, but it's not possible now," the former Manchester United player told Argentinian radio station La Red.

"It's not about money. First comes my family and second it's because I made a decision and I want to respect it.

"This is what I feel and this is the place in which I am comfortable.

"To accept it would be going against my convictions, against myself and against the people. "

And Veron, for whom City reportedly offered £7 million, did not take long to consider the offer.

"I presented the offer to the club directors so they could analyse it," he added.

"But on my part there wasn't a lot to think about. My response was instant."

Zack Wilson, Goal.com UK

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

According to SSN, Dossena has moved from Liverpool to Napoli on a 4 year deal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,369 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

completely OT really,

but anyone else think that one Brian Swanson on SSN, who does the whole 'transfer window' bit, comes across smug as hell.

like, as smug looking as the Meteor ad guy?

SlickRic wrote: »
    completely OT really,

but anyone else think that one Brian Swanson on SSN, who does the whole 'transfer window' bit, comes across smug as hell.

like, as smug looking as the Meteor ad guy?
    Heres the season to be jolly, tra la la la la ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,909 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

vieira%20signing.ashx?as=0&dmc=0&h=450&thn=0&w=800
    vieira%20signing%202.ashx?as=0&dmc=0&h=450&thn=0&w=800

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,235 ✭✭✭✭flahavaj

This may have been discussed elsewhere but good or bad signing Xavi?

This may have been discussed elsewhere but good or bad signing Xavi?

Unnecessary

Not a position we really need cover for and he's a bit past it imo. But he's here now so I'll support him, and it's only a loan deal.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,128 ✭✭✭NabyLadistheman

Viera was a spent force 2 season's ago. It's incredible that Mancini has gone for him. Time will tell I suppose, can't see him playing many games in any case

Xavi6 wrote: »
    Unnecessary

Not a position we really need cover for and he's a bit past it imo. But he's here now so I'll support him, and it's only a loan deal.

Kinda my thoughts too. Will be interesting to see does he still have the fire in his belly and the legs for the Prem at the very least though.

Thank God for City or the last few transfer windows would've been mind numbingly boring.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,987 ✭✭✭✭zAbbo

Often when a manager want's to put his own stamp on a squad with a new regime he'll bring in a respected player who he's previously worked with, someone who knows his tactics and style of play.

If Viera comes in, adds a bit of structure and helps Il Manc get his training and tactics across, it's a good signing - because one area where City lack discipline is defensively.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,983 ✭✭✭leninbenjamin

He has been back training with Arsenal for a few weeks apparently.

Actually he's been back training with them ever since he left Notts County. Beckham trains with them in the MLS off-season too, but that doesn't mean there's an interest in him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,478 ✭✭✭Bubs101

Xavi6 wrote: »
    Unnecessary

Do you guys not need an experienced and respected leader though? Who's your captain?

Bubs101 wrote: »
    Do you guys not need an experienced and respected leader though? Who's your captain?

Toure is captain with Given standing in now.

Vieira is obviously a leader but to be captain he would need to be on the pitch for every game. Can't see that happening. I hope not anyway.

Barry was also the captain at Villa and good leadership material. If City want a leader they need someone in their prime not a guy well past his prime who was in decline even in his final days at Arsenal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,492 ✭✭✭MementoMori

Dossena and Voronin gone from Liverpool.

Works out at £5.6m realised from two players who cost £7m to purchase (ignoring wages) so not that bad a return all things considered.
    Dossena goes, Voronin deal close
    8th Jan 2010 - Latest News
    Liverpool FC this afternoon confirmed the transfer of Andrea Dossena to Napoli for a fee of 4.25 million Euros.

The club also announced they had reached agreement with Dinamo Moscow for the transfer of striker Andriy Voronin for 2 million Euros.

The player has also agreed personal terms, with paperwork for the deal set to be completed over the weekend.

http://www.liverpoolfc.tv/news/latest-news/dossena-goes-voronin-deal-close

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,456 ✭✭✭kida

Dossena and Voronin gone from Liverpool.

Works out at £5.6m realised from two players who cost £7m to purchase (ignoring wages) so not that bad a return all things considered.

http://www.liverpoolfc.tv/news/latest-news/dossena-goes-voronin-deal-close

what about signing on fees? especially relevant for a free?

Neither asked to leave so it means paying them off also.

kida wrote: »

And I thought wages came out of Rafa's war chest as well no?:confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

wages, signing on fees, pens, paper, air fares, taxi fares, fees for the medicals, buscuits & tea for the journos at the press conference, wages for the groundsman to open up & let the player on the pitch....all included when Rafa makes transfers.

• Advertisement

kida wrote: »

Neither asked to leave so it means paying them off also.
    And I thought wages came out of Rafa's war chest as well no?:confused:

Don't know much about those details.

I think with Voronin it's more a case of getting him off the wages.
    There was talk his salary was somewhere around the £40k to £50k a week because he signed on a free and he had a year and a half left on his contract.

Wouldn't be surprised if Dossena had asked for a transfer, given some of the stuff his agent said, as he's particularly keen to play to get back in the WC squad.

All the concrete facts we do have is the amount the offical site is saying we received for them. Anything else is just speculation.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,154 ✭✭✭✭Neil3030

Often when a manager want's to put his own stamp on a squad with a new regime he'll bring in a respected player who he's previously worked with, someone who knows his tactics and style of play.

If Viera comes in, adds a bit of structure and helps Il Manc get his training and tactics across, it's a good signing - because one area where City lack discipline is defensively.

This.

Also, Viera also has the experience of winning. Anyone here ever play Wii bowling and your first 5 frames are strikes? The terrifyingly exciting prospect of that elusive perfect game soon begins meddling with your throw and you'll invariably make a balls of one soon enough.

Now presumable multiply that by 1,000,000 and that's what it's like to be leading the league by a few points with a game or two to go. Having someone about the place with a winner's pedigree and a cool head that's used to such conditions would be invaluable. Mancini is a clever man.

Leaders and leaders of winners are two very different things.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,043 ✭✭✭✭L'prof

Neil3030 wrote: »
    This.

Also, Viera also has the experience of winning. Anyone here ever play Wii bowling and your first 5 frames are strikes? The terrifyingly exciting prospect of that elusive perfect game soon begins meddling with your throw and you'll invariably make a balls of one soon enough.

Now presumable multiply that by 1,000,000 and that's what it's like to be leading the league by a few points with a game or two to go. Having someone about the place with a winner's pedigree and a cool head that's used to such conditions would be invaluable. Mancini is a clever man.

Leaders and leaders of winners are two very different things.

Haha, I love it...winning the premier league for the first time is like playing a perfect game in Wii bowling :D

Who mentioned anything about city winning the league?

Who mentioned anything about city winning the league?

It was alluded...reread the above post and quote.

jasonorr wrote: »
    It was alluded...reread the above post and quote.
    sorry wasn't referring to you. Just meant in general. are they genuine title contenders?

• Advertisement

sorry wasn't referring to you. Just meant in general. are they genuine title contenders?

Ah right. I think it's too soon to call them title contenders. When I say too soon, I don't think they're in contention this year. Who knows next year with the amount of cash they can throw at the transfer market.

are they genuine title contenders?

they think they are and that's what matters.

they think they are and that's what matters.
    okay ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,428 ✭✭✭MrKingsley

The way the top 3 teams are regularly dropping points this season all it takes is a run of 4/5 wins on the bounce and city will be up there.

As a spurs fan im raging that but for losses at home to stoke and wolves wed be 2 points off chelsea.

Now I understand that if ifs and ands were pots and pans and all that. Im just making the point to show how open the league could be this year. A good run from Villa, Spurs or City could see them leapfrog Arsenal or United on their current form.

having said that it of course wont happen. Plus city can go out and spend 100 million to help themselves. Go for it is what i say

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,097 ✭✭✭DenMan

Voronin gone to Dinamo Moscow. He'll be top scorer next season and in the Champions League. Liverpool mightn't be, just my opinion.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/teams/l/liverpool/8450798.stm

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,681 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

DenMan wrote: »
    Voronin gone to Dinamo Moscow. He'll be top scorer next season and in the Champions League. Liverpool mightn't be, just my opinion.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/teams/l/liverpool/8450798.stm

big miss to the PL

im not sure how they'll cope without him

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,793 ✭✭✭✭JPA

Headshot wrote: »
    big miss to the PL

Torres needs to grow his hair long and we'll forget Voronin in no time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,097 ✭✭✭DenMan

Headshot wrote: »
    big miss to the PL

Yeah I know, it's heartbreaking stuff. :p Good change of scenery will do him good. Who know's he'll more than likely come back and haunt some English teams in the Champions League, Man Utd, Chelsea or Arsenal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,825 ✭✭✭Mikeyt086

Voronin is gone? WHERE WILL THE GOALS COME FROM!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,570 ✭✭✭✭Frisbee

Mikeyt086 wrote: »
    Voronin is gone? WHERE WILL THE GOALS COME FROM!!!

Next you'll be telling me they've sold Dossena.

Frisbee wrote: »
    Next you'll be telling me they've sold Dossena.

:eek:

:eek:
    Speaking of signings a lot of people will be moving in for this chap when he comes of age. Amazing skills.
    http://www.telegraph.co.uk/telegraphtv/4686590/Madin-is-new-Zinedine-Zidane.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,778 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

Speaking of signings a lot of people will be moving in for this chap when he comes of age. Amazing skills.
    http://www.telegraph.co.uk/telegraphtv/4686590/Madin-is-new-Zinedine-Zidane.html

One trick pony tbh.

Quality of defending is sh*t though, I mean one of them just falls over around 0:50. And there's a suspicious lack of end product in that video. Gimme the next Kilbane any day...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,570 ✭✭✭✭Frisbee

keane2097 wrote: »
    One trick pony tbh.

This.

He'll make it as one of those 5-a-side street football showboater guys.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,013 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Have Liverpool made a signing yet? There must be a big one on the way, with Voronin and Dossena gone it must be making room on the wage bill for a big signing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,900 ✭✭✭Eire-Dearg

Quality of defending is sh*t though, I mean one of them just falls over around 0:50. And there's a suspicious lack of end product in that video. Gimme the next Kilbane any day...
    The new Kilbane can be seen at 00:36

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,233 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

eagle eye wrote: »
    Have Liverpool made a signing yet? There must be a big one on the way, with Voronin and Dossena gone it must be making room on the wage bill for a big signing.
    Maxi Rodriguez?

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Stephen Hunt/Kevin Kilbane to Wolves both being mooted, not sure if Hunt would be an upgrade over Matt Jarvis or not. He does have a certain never say die attitude which I imagine appeals to McCarthy.

mike65 wrote: »
    Stephen Hunt/Kevin Kilbane to Wolves both being mooted, not sure if Hunt would be an upgrade over Matt Jarvis or not. He does have a certain never say die attitude which I imagine appeals to McCarthy.
    Hunt on the move again?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,732 ✭✭✭Reganio 2

Please.... The defending in that is school boy at best.

mike65 wrote: »
    Hunt on the move again?

Phil Brown has to cut £10m from the wage bill apparently. I think he's come out and said already that there's no hope of HUnt moving, but Kilbane leaving looks highly likely.

Voronin sold for €2m (£1.8m)

Voronin and Dossena gone.
    Signing of Maxi is meant to be soon enough.
    Voronin move completed
    11th Jan 2010 - Latest News

Liverpool Football Club today confirmed the sale of Ukraine striker Andriy Voronin to Dinamo Moscow for a fee of 2 million Euros.

The 30-year-old has signed a permanent deal with the Russian outfitt after scoring six times in 40 appearances in a red shirt.

Voronin said: "I had options for continuing a career in Germany, and several in Russia, but eventually opted for Dinamo.

"I liked the professional approach of the leaders of the Moscow club during the negotiations, and I also liked the conversation with the head coach Andrey Kobelev.

"Our views came together. Dinamo have set high goals. I'm interested. I believe the Russian league is of a very good level."

The striker joined Rafael Benitez's men on a Bosman transfer from Bayer Leverkusen in July 2007 and enjoyed a promising start to life on Merseyside, hitting the target four times in the first three months of the season.

But despite an impressive display in the 8-0 Champions League rout of Besiktas, he struggled to make an impact in the months that followed and could not break the Fernando Torres-Steven Gerrard partnership.

A prolific spell during a season-long loan with Hertha Berlin saw him earn a Melwood reprieve, but after failing to hit the target in just 12 appearances this season he has now brought an end to his Liverpool career.

Liverpoolfc.tv would like to wish Andriy all the best for the future.

Author: Paul Hassall

The new Kerlon

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

Selfish player..... :o

Advertisement