Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

January transfer window

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,109 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Speaking of signings a lot of people will be moving in for this chap when he comes of age. Amazing skills.
    http://www.telegraph.co.uk/telegraphtv/4686590/Madin-is-new-Zinedine-Zidane.html

pfft, i'd make mincemeat of those kids, where's my 'next zidane' tag...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,097 ✭✭✭DenMan

Anybody think Leeds will sell Beckford? If they want money for him they will have to sell as his contract is up in the summer and they can get a replacement for him in this window. Seems the sensible option, he wants to leave as he handed in a transfer request before the cup game against Utd and it would be madness letting him leave on a free in the summer.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,434 ✭✭✭Lamper.sffc

DenMan wrote: »
    Anybody think Leeds will sell Beckford? If they want money for him they will have to sell as his contract is up in the summer and they can get a replacement for him in this window. Seems the sensible option, he wants to leave as he handed in a transfer request before the cup game against Utd and it would be madness letting him leave on a free in the summer.

Personally Id like for us to keep him. Dont care about the money if his goals can get us up.(very difficult to replace a player who has 20 goals already)
    Also promotion would be just as financially beneficial IMO.
    If he sulks because of not getting the move, let him sit on the bench for the next couple of months. Doubt he would though because his reputation would go down if he was sitting on the bench and then he might not get as good a deal from whoever.

Personally Id like for us to keep him. Dont care about the money if his goals can get us up.(very difficult to replace a player who has 20 goals already)
    Also promotion would be just as financially beneficial IMO.
    If he sulks let him sit on the bench for the next couple of months. Doubt he would though because his reputation would go down if he was sitting on the bench and then he might not get as good a deal from whoever.

I was thinking that as well too about you getting promoted. Be interesting to see what Leeds do.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,477 ✭✭✭grenache

Beckford wont go anywhere. My feeling is that he'll stay at Leeds. No club is going to splash £4M on a player unproven at Championship level.

• Advertisement

Wasn't 4 was it? I thought it was somewhere between 1.5 and 2.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,082 ✭✭✭✭Spiritoftheseventies

Victor Moses (Crystal Palace) being linked with Liverpool who are also in the hunt for Sunderland striker Kenwyne Jones

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,555 ✭✭✭Gillington

Victor Moses (Crystal Palace) being linked with Liverpool who are also in the hunt for Sunderland striker Kenwyne Jones

City in the hunt for Moses aswell,as are Fulham but if they get Okaka then I reckon their interest might cool off.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,477 ✭✭✭grenache

Nottingham Forest have officially put in an offer of £3m for Palace's Victor Moses. Manager Neil Warnock says they are giving serious consideration to it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

Leeds should definitely keep Beckford, promotion is worth more then the 1-2 million they would get for him

Woudnt be able to replace his goals imo

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 256 ✭✭ToTheSea:

kryogen wrote: »
    Leeds should definitely keep Beckford, promotion is worth more then the 1-2 million they would get for him

Woudnt be able to replace his goals imo

Grayson was quoted saying he will make the final decision about beckford. That being, he will keep playing him as usual. Even if he wants to leave. So, I'd bet he will stay and leave on a free in the summer. £1/2 million not worth it if we miss out on our chance to get back to the championship.(and beyond:P)

Irish defender Sean St Ledger being linked with a move to Celtic

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,153 ✭✭✭everdead.ie

Steve Bruce reckons Kenwyn Jones is worth €40m on his best form.......

I bet Roy Keane will be quietly smug if anyone pays* that for him after all the flak he got about bad transfers

*No one will ever pay that for him tho surely

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,370 ✭✭✭✭Son Of A Vidic

Man U: Out - No one out, unfortunately
    In - A whole new midfield in, yippee!

I bet Roy Keane will be quietly smug if anyone pays* that for him after all the flak he got about bad transfers

maybe thats the point. A hands off warning by putting an unrealistic price tag on his head

maybe thats the point. A hands off warning by putting an unrealistic price tag on his head
    I know;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 994 ✭✭✭pajodublin

more like 40m India Rupees if you ask me
    40m INR = 604,555 Euro

SOunds about right :D:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,629 ✭✭✭magma69

I wouldn't pay 10 million for Jones. Don't rate him in the slightest. He is Heskey but worse. A physical presence with no technical ability or craft. There must be 15 strikers in the Premiership better than him. Anyone who pays 15+ million for him is a fool. That 40 million stuff Bruce was talking about really made my day :pac:.

There is talk of Joe Cole leaving Chelsea with Man U, Spurs and Liverpool apparently chasing his signature. He would be a fantastic player for any club. Pity Liverpool have no funds :(.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,013 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Wow a lot of experts on here saying Kenwyne Jones is no good. 6 goals in 16 starts this season, an absolute nightmare to defend against. 40m sounds just ridiculous but he is worth 15m anyways imo.

• Advertisement

magma69 wrote: »
    There is talk of Joe Cole leaving Chelsea with Man U, Spurs and Liverpool apparently chasing his signature. He would be a fantastic player for any club. Pity Liverpool have no funds :(.

agreed, apparantly takls broke down over pay. even if we had funds, cant see liverpool paying more wages than chelsea

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,466 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

eagle eye wrote: »
    Wow a lot of experts on here saying Kenwyne Jones is no good. 6 goals in 16 starts this season, an absolute nightmare to defend against. 40m sounds just ridiculous but he is worth 15m anyways imo.

I like - looks like a young version of Drogba (who didn't get even good til he was 28). Wouldn't spend 40million on him, no way at the moment, but he wouldn't be a terrible buy. Price would need to be south of 15million imo though - at the moment he is basically all potential, he has yet to really prove himself and isn't worth 15million or over imo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,466 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

he'd be a free transfer in the summer, so would fit nicely into the transfer budgets of United and Liverpool.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

we're trying to cut our wage bill, so still out of our grasp.

eagle eye wrote: »
    Give me Carlton Cole, Peter Crouch, Robbie Keane, Jermain Defoe, Santa Cruz, Benjani, Darren Bent, Louis Saha, Rodaellga (spelling?) Agbonlahor + more.....over Jones any day of the week.

I don't think anyone is claiming to be an expert here.

Give me Carlton Cole, Peter Crouch, Robbie Keane, Jermain Defoe, Santa Cruz, Benjani, Darren Bent, Louis Saha, Rodaellga (spelling?) Agbonlahor + more.....over Jones any day of the week.

I don't think anyone is claiming to be an expert here.
    Defoe, Saha,Bent and Keane are completely different type of players.

You are rating Benjani on what? Two starts and two sub appearances in 12 months? This is how silly football fans can be.

And Santa Cruz on what? One good season at Blackburn versus all the bad seasons he has had including last season where he spent most of his time injured. Again a player who has done very little in the last 12 months.

Rodallega has 7 goals in 19 league starts, compared with Jones 6 goals in 13 starts and 3 sub appearances.
    Carlton Cole seems to have finally become what he had promised to be for so long and that is a top striker, he has 7 goals in 13 starts.
    Gabby Agbonlahor is a guy I like but you wouldn't buy him for less than 20m.

Wilo flood linked with a move to boro

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,625 ✭✭✭✭Johner

Wilo flood linked with a move to boro

Linked? I'm pretty sure a loan deal is close to being done and he is having a medical with 2 other Celtic players at Boro.

Johner wrote: »
    Linked? I'm pretty sure a loan deal is close to being done and he is having a medical with 2 other Celtic players at Boro.
    Well nothing is finalized so using the word linked for time being. Meanwhile Rafa looking in to doing a swap deal with Bruce with Babel going one way and Jones going the other.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,625 ✭✭✭✭Johner

Caldwell was going to Boro too but Wigan have seemed to hi-jacked that and are in talks with him now.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 10,259 ✭✭✭✭Melion

Id be delighted if we got Jones as a straight swap for Babel. Has the potential to be a top class player, a perfect player to play up front with Torres if we did ever go back to 2 up front.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,043 ✭✭✭✭L'prof

Melion wrote: »
    Id be delighted if we got Jones as a straight swap for Babel. Has the potential to be a top class player, a perfect player to play up front with Torres if we did ever go back to 2 up front.

I rate Babel but, Benitez clearly doesn't so he can't suddenly turn around to Bruce and say "...eh, I'll swap you this shite extremely talented player, Babel, for one of your best players, Jones."

Ye'd have to give them money as well, especially since Bruce said it would take a ridiculous offer, £40m, to buy Jones.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,283 ✭✭✭Smegball

Benjani over Jones.. LAWL

Defoe, Saha,Bent and Keane are completely different type of players.
    And? What is your point? They are all far superior players to Jones.
    You are rating Benjani on what? Two starts and two sub appearances in 12 months? This is how silly football fans can be.
    I am rating Benjani in what he has done since he came to the premiership. Whilst not top class he has a good footballing brain and is great and holding up the ball and linking up. To me he has shown to me in his performances that is a better player than Jones.
    And Santa Cruz on what? One good season at Blackburn versus all the bad seasons he has had including last season where he spent most of his time injured. Again a player who has done very little in the last 12 months.
    Yes, on his excellent season with Blackburn. He has shown tremendous quality which does not exist in Jones. If you are going to look at it that way then Jones has had no good seasons. Santa Cruz finishing abilities are second to none. What, because he was injured last season that makes him a ****e player? That's a silly attitude.
    Rodallega has 7 goals in 19 league starts, compared with Jones 6 goals in 13 starts and 3 sub appearances.
    They have a similar goal scoring record. I think Rodallega offers a little bit more and is a bit more clinical. Goals are not everything to look for in a striker by the way. Especially a deep lying striker.
    Carlton Cole seems to have finally become what he had promised to be for so long and that is a top striker, he has 7 goals in 13 starts.
    Carlton Cole was awesome last season too. But I agree the earlier part of his career has been poor. Can't see Cole staying with the Hammers for too much longer. He belongs to a team that should be pushing for Europe.
    Gabby Agbonlahor is a guy I like but you wouldn't buy him for less than 20m.
    Probably. He is a very important player for Villa. Undoubtedly their first choice striker so he would set you back a pretty penny alright.

Melion wrote: »
    Both players are not good enough for a team who hope to play Champions League imo. I suppose I would prefer Jones than Babel at Liverpool but selling Babel and using the funds to go towards getting in somebody of real quality. That would be ideal. Benitez selling Keane was a huge mistake imo.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,555 ✭✭✭Gillington

Whilst i dont rate Jones,I think he does need to be tested at the highest level,someone like Liverpool would be perfect(anyone bar City!),I think if there is truth to the Babel-Jones move it could work out well

Both players are not good enough for a team who hope to play Champions League imo. I suppose I would prefer Jones than Babel at Liverpool but selling Babel and using the funds to go towards getting in somebody of real quality. That would be ideal. Benitez selling Keane was a huge mistake imo.

we're not back here again are we?
    It wasnt a mistake now move on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,909 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Lol at people not rating Jones.

He's an excellent striker who has all the requirements to play at a top club. Strong, decent in the air, quick, and knows where the goal is.

Good oul big team snobbery raising its head again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,681 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

Xavi6 wrote: »

He's an excellent striker who has all the requirements to play at a top club. Strong, decent in the air, quick, and knows where the goal is.

been saying the same thing for the last 12 months at least

he is the striker i wanted united to buy, and im on the record as saying it many times

the guy is obviously very underrated around here?

its not just his goals and assists, its also what he gives a team and just his all round play in general make him a top player

similar to Drogba in a lot of way, obviously inferior to him, but i think he is in that mould

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,326 ✭✭✭✭ctrl-alt-delete

Strong yeah, but given he is strong, and his height, he wins a very poor amount of balls in the air. He jumps blind most of the time.

I have seen him numerous times and he goes missing when things are not going well.

Good enough for the bench of a top 4 team, but i don't think he is good enough to improve the so called top 4.

If it came down to getting Santa Cruz for the same price you'd be a fool not to go with Santa Cruz.

If it came down to getting Santa Cruz for the same price you'd be a fool not to go with Santa Cruz.
    If you were getting the 07/08 Santa Cruz there would be no question, but the guy has spent most of his time on the treatment table since then. And he was the same before that wonderful season at Blackburn, injury prone and out of form for the most part.

I'm not saying RSC is not up to it by any means, but Jones is younger and doesn't have an injury prone record.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,983 ✭✭✭leninbenjamin

Actually, everyone's right. The guy has the physical attributes and talent to be a success at the very highest level. He seems to have the intelligence of a wombat though, and the work ethic of a sloth. I've only seen him play in full a few times, half the time he's been outstanding and the other half he's been the worst player on the pitch.
    Headshot wrote: »
    lol?

:o

Commentator alluded to the fact that last night might have been Santa Cruz's last game for city. Is Mancini not happy with him?

Flamini linked with a move to spurs in the daily mail think it's doubtful at best but considering he was going to go in for viera I wouldn't put it past him

Flamini linked with a move to spurs in the daily mail think it's doubtful at best but considering he was going to go in for viera I wouldn't put it past him

I'd be ragin if ye got him, I'm sure he'd still be a very good player for us...probably no room for him with the way Song's playing these days!

Tottenham poised to sign £6m Sandro

From Gaurdian newspaper so pretty reputable not sewn up yet but if he's been talked up this much I really can't wait to see him in the flesh at the lane
    http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2010/jan/12/tottenham-sandro-harry-redknapp

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,983 ✭✭✭leninbenjamin

jasonorr wrote: »
    I'd be ragin if ye got him, I'm sure he'd still be a very good player for us...probably no room for him with the way Song's playing these days!

Tbh, we no longer play a formation that suits him. Flamini was always the rampaging box to box DM as likely to pop up with a vital tackle in the opposition corner as much as his own. He might be able to slot into the role Denilson does, but i don't think he reads the game well enough to be able to play the shielding role Song is so good at.

He's an excellent player for a 4-4-2, probably suit the spuds perfectly. If he can play to the standard he did in 2007/2008 it might allow them to play Modric in the CM role.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,213 ✭✭✭✭therecklessone

Tottenham poised to sign £6m Sandro

From Gaurdian newspaper so pretty reputable not sewn up yet but if he's been talked up this much I really can't wait to see him in the flesh at the lane
    http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2010/jan/12/tottenham-sandro-harry-redknapp

I don't understand the excitement shown by Spurs fans about this guy, what exactly is it based on? Can't be too many avid fans of Brazilian football, and I doubt he pulled up too many trees in his one international appearance.

I'll give him the benefit of the doubt, but for the moment his talent and ability is just media talk IMHO.

• Advertisement
Advertisement