Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

January transfer window

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,235 ✭✭✭✭flahavaj

I don't understand the excitement shown by Spurs fans about this guy, what exactly is it based on? Can't be too many avid fans of Brazilian football, and I doubt he pulled up too many trees in his one international appearance.

I'll give him the benefit of the doubt, but for the moment his talent and ability is just media talk IMHO.

Plus the fact that Brazilians have generally been more of a miss in the Prem than a hit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,153 ✭✭✭everdead.ie

I don't understand the excitement shown by Spurs fans about this guy, what exactly is it based on? Can't be too many avid fans of Brazilian football, and I doubt he pulled up too many trees in his one international appearance.

I'll give him the benefit of the doubt, but for the moment his talent and ability is just media talk IMHO.
    I don't know if this makes sense but I don't know why i'm excited maybe it's just because he's been compared so highly with Dunga so I'm hoping he really will be a class act

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

Cracking in football manager :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,153 ✭✭✭everdead.ie

Wigan have just signed Gary Caldwell

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,625 ✭✭✭✭Johner

Wigan have just signed Gary Caldwell

I think he will struggle in the Premier League to be honest.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,043 ✭✭✭✭L'prof

Johner wrote: »
    I think he will struggle in the Premier League to be honest.

More or less so than Bramble?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,625 ✭✭✭✭Johner

jasonorr wrote: »
    More or less so than Bramble?

Have you watched Bramble at all for the last 2 years? He is one of the most improved defenders in the Premier League. He had a brilliant season last season and won Wigan's player of the year and player's player of the year and again this season is having a good solid season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,043 ✭✭✭✭L'prof

Johner wrote: »
    Have you watched Bramble at all for the last 2 years? He is one of the most improved defenders in the Premier League. He had a brilliant season last season and won Wigan's player of the year and player's player of the year and again this season is having a good solid season.

I've watched him occasionally and have seen him play some very good matches but, also some absolute stinkers!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,082 ✭✭✭✭Spiritoftheseventies

to confirm Maxi Rodriguez has completed his medical. Has signed for pool on a free transfer. Three year deal

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Lucas Neill to Galatasaray

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

mike65 wrote: »
    Lucas Neil to Galatasaray

odd chap that lad

• Registered Users Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭James Forde

750,000 profit for everton less wages of course

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,466 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

is it official - i know Gala have announced it, but some Turkish team announced signing Geremi and Newcastle said they knew nothing about it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,097 ✭✭✭DenMan

Very good signing from Frank.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,476 ✭✭✭✭Ush1

kryogen wrote: »
    odd chap that lad

If by odd you mean an overpaid waster.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

Ush1 wrote: »

its all encomapssing :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,013 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Normallly I'd say Lucas Neill is all about money and this could well be the case here again. I mean he turned down Liverpool for West Ham before, but this could be a good move as Galatasaray have looked really good of late under Rijkaard.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,709 ✭✭✭CR 7

Have liverpool actually signed chamakh? In the irish examiner today it said they've completed a £25m deal. However, they don't appear to have that kinda money. They're usually a very reliable source. :confused:

Have liverpool actually signed chamakh? In the irish examiner today it said they've completed a £25m deal. However, they don't appear to have that kinda money. They're usually a very reliable source. :confused:

if they have it is the stupidest piece of business I have heard of. 25million for a player you can get for free in 6months is CRAZY.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

25m including wages would make more sense... (though still large)

• Advertisement

25m including wages would make more sense... (though still large)

i'm not liking this practice of wages being included in these figures. It is new and confuses me!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,909 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

to confirm Maxi Rodriguez has completed his medical. Has signed for pool on a free transfer. Three year deal

Three years for a guy who, as Sid Lowe says, has been crap this year? Bit risky, but I suppose if that's all the budget will stretch to.....

If by overpaid waster you mean excellent defender who was one of the best players in the last World Cup.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,455 ✭✭✭anplaya

lad is free agent in the summer so doubt it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

Xavi6 wrote: »
    If by overpaid waster you mean excellent defender who was one of the best players in the last World Cup.

There some pretty biased Aussie glasses there mate.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,013 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Des wrote: »
    I don't think its biased, I despise the man but I respect how good a defender he has been consistently over the last few years.

eagle eye wrote: »
    I don't think its biased, I despise the bastard but I respect how good a defender he has been consistently.

yeah but "one of the best players at the last WC"?

give me a break.

He was superb in every game.

He has never been an excellent defender, he's been someone who throws his weight around.

One of the best players in the last World cup, you are taking the p*ss yeah??

He was superb in every game.

Gary Breen had a great world cup in 2002. Doesn't actually mean he was a great player.

Also, the world cup was 4 years ago, it has no bearing on anything at this point.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,587 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

Xavi wrote:
    Three years for a guy who, as Sid Lowe says, has been crap this year? Bit risky, but I suppose if that's all the budget will stretch to.....

In fairness, he was playing in a poor Atletico team and had a number of fallings out with people at the club, which probably impacted on his form. Good article on FourFourTwo about him: http://fourfourtwo.com/blogs/laligaloca/archive/2010/01/14/will-maxi-be-born-again-in-anfield.aspx

He won't be a major success, in all likelihood. However, if we're reduced to shopping in the bargain bins, we'll have to make do.

• Advertisement

He has never been an excellent defender, he's been someone who throws his weight around.

He has been an excellent defender and is still a very good one.
    One of the best players in the last World cup, you are taking the p*ss yeah??

I said one of the best defenders. I thought he was.

I said one of the best defenders.
    Um, no you didn't.

In fairness, he was playing in a poor Atletico team and had a number of fallings out with people at the club, which probably impacted on his form. Good article on FourFourTwo about him: http://fourfourtwo.com/blogs/laligaloca/archive/2010/01/14/will-maxi-be-born-again-in-anfield.aspx

He won't be a major success, in all likelihood. However, if we're reduced to shopping in the bargain bins, we'll have to make do.

well, if you use the logic that form in an international competition 4 years ago is a good indicator, Maxi was great for Argentina in 2006!:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

re Chamakh

The Examinier is clearly sleeping in on these cold dark mornings. That story was dealt with two days ago.

Um, no you didn't.

My bad. I meant defenders, and I'd stand by that. He was great.

He has been an excellent defender and is still a very good one.

If he was that good he wouldn't be gone so quickly from Everton.

No you didn't
    "...by overpaid waster you mean excellent defender who was one of the best players in the last World Cup."

My bad. I meant defenders, and I'd stand by that. He was great.

In a team that got knocked out in the 2nd round?? If he's excellent, what the heck is Nesta and Cannavaro etc...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,570 ✭✭✭✭Frisbee

i'm not liking this practice of wages being included in these figures. It is new and confuses me!!

Me neither, it skews thing about too much.

So did I. I really rated Neill. He's getting on now though so 700k isnt too bad a deal for Everton.

In a team that got knocked out in the 2nd round?? If he's excellent, what the heck is Nesta and Cannavaro etc...

So there are never any good performing players in lesser sides?

Paul McGrath was shit in 94

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,587 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

well, if you use the logic that form in an international competition 4 years ago is a good indicator, Maxi was great for Argentina in 2006!:D

Chortle.

If he scores a few like this one, I'll be happy!

So there are never any good performing players in lesser sides?

Paul McGrath was shit in 94

Never said that, but one of the best defenders is usually in a team that plays more than 4 games.

Paul McGrath certainly wasn't one of the best players of 94.

Never said that, but one of the best defenders is usually in a team that plays more than 4 games.

Of course, but like everything else there are exceptions. I thought Lucas Neill was an exception, and his performances were very, very good.

I certainly don't agree with your claim that he is a waster.

Of course, but like everything else there are exceptions. I thought Lucas Neill was an exception, and his performances were very, very good.

Ush does tend to be a bit dismissive at times.

You're entitled to your opinion of course.
    Alot of people think Baros had an amazing Euro 2004 and is an excellent striker. Some think that he's an overpaid waster playing for.....Galatasaray!:)

Ush does tend to be a bit dismissive at times.

Sorry??

• Advertisement

Sorry??

so you should be

so you should be

I'm sorry I don't understand what he's talking about. Actually, I'm not so sure I'm sorry I don't understand him.

You're entitled to your opinion of course.
    Alot of people think Baros had an amazing Euro 2004 and is an excellent striker. Some think that he's an overpaid waster playing for.....Galatasaray!:)

Sure doesn't that other overpaid crock Harry Kewell play for them as well......and that softy Elano.

Full of wasters! :D

Sure doesn't that other overpaid crock Harry Kewell play for them as well......and that softy Elano.

Full of wasters! :D

It's the Rijkaard way, he thinks all wasters can be as good as that waster Ronaldinho.

It's the Rijkaard way, he thinks all wasters can be as good as that waster Ronaldinho.
    Ronaldinho seems to be doing well at Milan at the moment.

• Advertisement
Advertisement