Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Use of handbrake during driving test

• 27-12-2009 1:58pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1

Can you please advice if it is necessary to use the hand break on each traffic lights during driving test?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

That will depend on the situation in question, but it is not essential to apply the handbrake every time you stop at a set of traffic lights. A rule of thumb is, if you're going to be stopped for more than 5 seconds, apply the handbrake, and put the car into neutral.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 7,396 Mod ✭✭✭✭**Timbuk2**

Not sure about the test, but what I'd tend to do is put on my handbrake any time that I am not first in a queue of cars.

If I was behind other cars, and had my foot on the clutch and the car in 1st gear, if a car hit into the back of me, my foot would probably come off the clutch, causing my car to jerk into the car in front. This is why I'd use handbrake and neutral if I was behind other cars.

If I was the first car in line, I would probably keep the foot on the clutch and put the gear in 1st, so I can be ready to go when the lights turn green.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,957 ✭✭✭Magenta

Not sure about the test, but what I'd tend to do is put on my handbrake any time that I am not first in a queue of cars.

If I was behind other cars, and had my foot on the clutch and the car in 1st gear, if a car hit into the back of me, my foot would probably come off the clutch, causing my car to jerk into the car in front. This is why I'd use handbrake and neutral if I was behind other cars.

If I was the first car in line, I would probably keep the foot on the clutch and put the gear in 1st, so I can be ready to go when the lights turn green.

This is what I was taught.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,310 ✭✭✭Pkiernan

hanah wrote: »
    Can you please advice if it is necessary to use the hand break on each traffic lights during driving test?

You will NOT fail your test for using the handbrake at every traffic light.

You might be penalised for not using it.

I used it at every light, and at every STOP sign. No issues.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 495 ✭✭brian076

Pkiernan wrote: »
    You will NOT fail your test for using the handbrake at every traffic light.

You might be penalised for not using it.

I used it at every light, and at every STOP sign. No issues.

You certainly don't need to use it at every Stop sign, and you have more chance of being marked for lack of progress if you keep using your handbrake every time you stop.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 765 ✭✭✭Ticktactoe

If stopped in a queue of traffic, I use it to give my foot on the clutch a rest! Plus if an accident occurred your car is better in the parked position than been in gear imo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,310 ✭✭✭Pkiernan

brian076 wrote: »
    You certainly don't need to use it at every Stop sign, and you have more chance of being marked for lack of progress if you keep using your handbrake every time you stop.

This post is not accurate. You are meant to come to a complete stop at a Stop sign. Putting the handbrake on proves conclusively that you have. You will not be penalised for using your handbrake at a Stop sign.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

Pkiernan wrote: »
    This post is not accurate. You are meant to come to a complete stop at a Stop sign. Putting the handbrake on proves conclusively that you have. You will not be penalised for using your handbrake at a Stop sign.

All Brian said was that it is not essential to use the handbrake at a stop sign. If you use only the foot brake and come to complete stop you will not be penalised, there should be no need to "prove" that you have stopped, it should be quite clear to the tester. There is a risk of being penalised for lack of progress if using the handbrake has a negative effect on your progression. That is the point that was being made by Brian.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,841 ✭✭✭✭cormie

In every day driving conditions I use my handbrake all the time. For something like a stop sign, no I wouldn't, unless there was traffic coming to stop me pulling off immediately from it, or if it was on a hill, but at every set of lights I'll always apply the handbrake. I find it much safer to do so, if you're hit from behind, it will decrease the chances of you driving into the car in front of you due to panic reaction and if you're on a hill, even one with the slightest incline, you don't roll back for that split second while the foot comes off the brake and onto the accelerator. It's just overall safer driving and as long as you can use it efficiently, there should be no reason to mark you down for slow progress.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 2010

brian076 wrote: »

+1

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,148 ✭✭✭✭Raskolnikov

It's also worth saying that if you're on a slope, you should always engage the handbrake to stop you from rolling.

• Registered Users Posts: 333 ✭✭Drake66

In many areas in Dublin Stop signs are on slight slopes or inclines so it can be good policy to use the handbrake to prevent rollback I find . It also takes the potential stress away from having to to put the car back into first, take your observations and emerge. If done smartly there is no way you can be marked for progress.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement