Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How to set up a stable wireless network if you use several devices

Options
  • 27-12-2009 2:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,005 ✭✭✭

I have a netgear rangemax dg834n which became flaky requiring a restart at least once a day to reset my connection. I stumbled upon this advice which should apply to all home networks with several wireless devices accessing one router e.g. ipod touch, ps3, pc, laptop all in one house.

Most routers assign an ip address to local devices automatically as and when needed. The best thing to do is pre-register each device in your router setup and thus avoid conflicts. Also, you must ensure that you are using the correct encryption standard if you have a mix of devices using 802.11g and 802.11n.

Lastly make sure each phone appliance in the house uses a microfilter if you have more than one appliance/socket. If your router has a dedicated socket it does not need a splitter, unless you share it with a phone.

I now have a much more stable network.

Also, consider using eg only wireless g from your router if your devices are only of this type. i.e. avoid mixing standards if possible.

"Re: Netgear DG834N woes
    I have a Netgear DG834N connected to a Mac Mini - with a Squeezebox and Xerox printer running off the router for wireless connection.

The problems you describe are simply remedied by the following...

in the 'Wireless Settings' pane, open 'Wireless Station Access List'. Input each device name, and each MAC address.

In the 'Security Option' I choose 'WPA-PSK [TKIP] + WPA2-PSK [AES]' and then selected an appropriate encryption key.

Then, in the 'LAN/IP Setup' pane, input each device name, IP Address and MAC address.

Set the RIP Direction as 'Both' and RIP version as RIP-1.

Tick, 'Use Router as DHCP Server'."

http://www.avforums.com/forums/networking-nas/857832-netgear-dg834n-woes-2.html

Hope this helps.

ps. for my fixed mac mini I connect directly to the router using powerline ethernet and leave the wireless to the ipod touch, my wife's laptop, my daughter's netbook etc...

Also, consider changing the channel (and leave it fixed rather than auto) of your network if you have close neighbours to avoid network interference. DECT phones also interfere.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,004 ✭✭✭ironclaw

ashleey wrote: »
    Most routers assign an ip address to local devices automatically as and when needed. The best thing to do is pre-register each device in your router setup and thus avoid conflicts. Also, you must ensure that you are using the correct encryption standard if you have a mix of devices using 802.11g and 802.11n.

Great post except in the case of mixed abilities most routers will default to the slowest speed. So if everything is N and then suddenly a G device comes on stream everything will slow to match it. (I could be wrong but I'm almost sure of that)

G and N arn't encrytpion standards by the way. Just wireless RF standards.

I've never experienced trouble with registering / pre-registering devices.

Perhaps you have an N / Pre-N conflict?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,005 ✭✭✭ashleey

sorry. Yes, I know that b,g and n are rf standards. It's just that the earlier standards do not necessarily support the newer encryption protocols.
    You are right about the router dropping to the speed of the slowest device. It's just that mine seemed to need to be reset daily for some reason and was probably the mix of devices. I might need an upgrade though i thought my netgear was a top draft n 18 months ago.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 491 ✭✭Some_Person

I've tested 802.11B with WPA2-AES, works fine.

That was just the advice I read. Thinking about it my problems have emerged in the last year, which means either the router is wearing out from overheating over time or my nokia 5800 is causing lock ups. The router lights are on but the connection I'd dropped and requires a switch on and off to reconnect.

I might need an upgrade though i thought my netgear was a top draft n 18 months ago.

There is your problem. Draft N and N are very different. They are the same to an extent but inter-device compatibiliy isn't ensured. While under N it is. Draft N was basically a standard that each manufacteur took a stab at. N is the global set in stone standard.

I'd say all your problems are router based to be honest.

• Advertisement

Are the latest netgear routers more reliable? I use their powerline system for my fixed connection so I would prefer to stick with one brand. Also, I thought 802.11n has only just been approved?

Are the latest netgear routers more reliable? I use their powerline system for my fixed connection so I would prefer to stick with one brand. Also, I thought 802.11n has only just been approved?

Its been approved for a few months now. But N and Draft N are different as I said above.

NetGear are a great router but don't get stuck on brand :) Sure your iTouch or Nokia isn't a NetGear brand device. Most brands are re-badged other brands so just get the best you can afford. Don't look at the make etc.

But D-Link are pure rubbish for the most part :pac:

Thanks for the advice. I was just assuming that since I have got the Netgear powerline that it would be optimum to get a netgear gateway, though not essential. I've read some bad reports about dropouts on my Netgear dg834n which match my experience. I've discovered that my sky+ box didn't connect to the phone through a microfilter. It makes the odd call at night which might explain my random lockups of the router. I've rectified that and stopped my nokia 5800 using my wifi network and I'll see how that performs. I also need to move my router to the primary phone socket. Unfortunately that will require a furniture solution for the hallway under supervision from my wife so that the house doesn't look like a badly organised office.

Thanks again for the advice. I'm sticking with the changes to my router setup as above as it won't hurt to have all devices registered in advance with wireless access control.

Got a lockup this morning.

Green DSL light, green wireless light, green ethernet light but no sync light on router.

Could not access my router page to diagnose via wifi or ethernet.

Looked into the network details on my ipod touch and noticed that the device IP address was 169.254.182.37 (in the DHCP tab). It should be 192.168.0.4.The router and dns fields were blank.

Switching the router off and on was the only way to restore connections.

Any thoughts?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

A 169.254.X.X address is usually the default ip address when it fails to get a dhcp lease. Apple devices can be funny, I've had issues before

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,448 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

Have you upgraded the firmware on the router?

PogMoThoin wrote: »
    A 169.254.X.X address is usually the default ip address when it fails to get a dhcp lease. Apple devices can be funny, I've had issues before

Thats correct. I get that the odd time at overloaded public wifi spots. It seems to be me to be a router problem or with all your "pre-addressing" there may have been a simple but critical setting changed (I've done it before)

Maybe try update your router firmware, reset the router totally and don't pre-address this time. There really is no need to be honest. I do but only on my wired connections, its pointless over wireless.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

ironclaw wrote: »
    Maybe try update your router firmware, reset the router totally and don't pre-address this time. There really is no need to be honest. I do but only on my wired connections, its pointless over wireless.

I agree with this, don't pre-address, its nonsence, give Your fixed devices, desktop pcs, xbox etc static ip's outside the dhcp pool and let the router handle the mobile ones itself. Its also easier to port forward to these fixed devices this way and the dhcp server will only be handling a few

I do have the latest firmware. Looks like i'll have to reset to factory settings then and leave all the settings as auto. It seems i've tried everything and it looks like it's credit card time and no netgear this time if problems persist. If i get no change after that then it has to be vodafone

• Registered Users Posts: 3,579 ✭✭✭BopNiblets

I have a Netgear DG834G router and I find myself resetting it almost everyday too, I'm not sure if it's WIndows 7 RC that's the problem or if it's the router, but the thing is slow streaming media to my bluray player two walls away, the player is wireless N so it's not getting used anyway...

I was thinking of getting a Wireless N (this Cisco one http://www.komplett.ie/k/ki.aspx?sku=518476)

BopNiblets wrote: »
    but the thing is slow streaming media to my bluray player two walls away, the player is wireless N so it's not getting used anyway...

I was thinking of getting a Wireless N (this Cisco one http://www.komplett.ie/k/ki.aspx?sku=518476)

There could be the same thing at play here - DraftN Vs N. There are slight differences. The other thing is HD content streaming over wireless for the true videophile / audiophile is a No-No. The bandwidth and stability just isn't there, IMHO.

Also RF doesn't go through walls (at all depending on the wall content, build, insulation etc) so even one wall away is a wall too far. The distance etc could be affecting the speed causing a drop back to slower speeds etc. Also you could have pre-N device interference. The list is endless.

However, is there a firmware update for the router? Could be a simple fix :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,579 ✭✭✭BopNiblets

The actual playback is intermittently sluggish even on non-HD stuff thats the only reason I assumed it was the two walls blocking it now and then and thought wireless G streaming to wireless N device was also a no-no! :) I have the latest firmware for it anyway.
    That one on komplett is draft N 2.0, is that old or has it been finalised or whatever?

I recently noticed my uncles router has two antennae and his reception from his attic to his kitchen two floors below was much better than mine two rooms away with one antennae if that makes sense, my brothers laptop is ok but a PC upstairs my mam (rarely) uses that has an internal card (pretty old) isn't gettting great reception on it either.

Thanks.

Got confirmation from vodafone that after 24 hours the network drops your ip address. Your router should reconnect automatically. It appears netgear firmware is incapable of doing this. I've ordered a new router from a different brand. It would have been nice of vf to announce this policy in advance. May be a policy with other ISP s too.

Advertisement