Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

laptop for animation requirements?

• 27-12-2009 2:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭

Im hoping to go to Ballyfermot college of further education next year to study Animation.
    My art teacher said I need a macbook in order to do animation,
    but im just wondering would a cheaper laptop do me? (macbooks start at around €900 and i cant really afford it..)
    anyone who is doing or has done a course in animation would be a great help smile.gif

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

_Chaos wrote: »
    Im hoping to go to Ballyfermot college of further education next year to study Animation.
    My art teacher said I need a macbook in order to do animation,
    but im just wondering would a cheaper laptop do me? (macbooks start at around €900 and i cant really afford it..)
    anyone who is doing or has done a course in animation would be a great help smile.gif

The reason the Macbook is recommended- is because most of the software used on the course is Mac based. You could get another Apple laptop- which would most probably suffice- but you'd then be looking at the internal specifications of the machine- in particular the processor and the graphics card- which would then be limiting factors.

Macs are expensive- they always have been- and they hold their value far better than PC laptops. Unfortunately I really think you're going to have to bite the bullet on this one. Do remember that Apple run an educational discount scheme- it may be worth as much as 10% off the list price for you......

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,788 ✭✭✭ztoical

smccarrick wrote: »
    The reason the Macbook is recommended- is because most of the software used on the course is Mac based.

The Ballyer course doesn't use Mac's, it's all PC's. Programs like flipbook used for line testing animation is pc software, they've finally released a mac version but it's pretty crap. Animo also doesn't work on Macs. Very few of the animation studios in Ireland uses Macs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,169 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Flash runs fine on PC. It would be a bit restrictive for a course to require 1K+ equipment from all its students, students by nature cant afford that kinda kit.

Get a decent laptop with a good graphics card and a nice screen(you'll be looking at it all day remember). Avoid internal graphics chips. Won't be cheap but shouldnt cost as much as a macbook.

As above student discounts are worth looking out for. If you have a StudentTravelCard (E12) you can get 10% off aplle computers. Microsoft run Software4Students which allows you to get some packages for a vastly lower sum. Some are SE though.

Flash CS4 Professional Student Edition[Find out what features it lacks] Only 142.
    http://www.software4students.ie/Adobe_Flash_Professional_CS4_Student_Edition__PC-details.aspx
    :)

• Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭_Chaos

Flash runs fine on PC. It would be a bit restrictive for a course to require 1K+ equipment from all its students, students by nature cant afford that kinda kit.

Get a decent laptop with a good graphics card and a nice screen(you'll be looking at it all day remember). Avoid internal graphics chips. Won't be cheap but shouldnt cost as much as a macbook.

As above student discounts are worth looking out for. If you have a StudentTravelCard (E12) you can get 10% off aplle computers. Microsoft run Software4Students which allows you to get some packages for a vastly lower sum. Some are SE though.

Flash CS4 Professional Student Edition[Find out what features it lacks] Only 142.
    http://www.software4students.ie/Adobe_Flash_Professional_CS4_Student_Edition__PC-details.aspx
    :)

what would you consider a good graphics card?
    thanks for the answer by the way :)

Advertisement