Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Shook up after accident

• 27-12-2009 2:24pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 18

Hi,

I've been involved in a car crash because of black ice and was lucky to walk away from it.

Happened today. I'm shook up after it and have no idea what I'm supposed to do.

Been able to drive my car home but the car is smashed.

I am absolutely clueless when it comes to things like this.

Where are the best places to bring my car?
    Is it my insurance that should pay to get the car repaired?

I need all the help/advice ye can give?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,673 ✭✭✭Miss Fluff

Did you bang into someone else? You should probably call your insurance company and not drive again until you have spoken to them as they may need to assess damage.

You poor thing, at least you are ok. You didn't sustain any bumps or bangs did you? Important to get checked out if you banged your head or have whiplash etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 105 ✭✭hamrog

Hi, First of all, I'm very sorry to hear about this. As Miss Fluff said, the main thing is that you're alright. I was involved in a car crash six months ago and I have to say most insurance companies are very easy to deal with. I drove into the back of someone and they covered the repair of my car and the other person's car as well as giving me an allowance for car hire. My advice would be to ring them as soon as you can and dig out your insurance details. Ask them how much you can claim for without it affecting your no claims allowance, I was able to claim up to 10 grand. Try not to worry too much about it. The car will always look worse than it is - mine looked like it had been crushed and now is like new. Very glad that you are ok. Everything will be fine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,128 ✭✭✭dellas1979

First of all, do you have fully comprehensive insurance or third-party?

If its fully comp you can claim from your insurance, especially if its going to be costly to repair it, but the down side to this is that your insurance premium will rise for a few years. Fully comp is usually more expensive, but can be worth it.

In the case you have third-party, im afraid this only covers, as it suggests, if you crash into someone else they will fix their car but not yours. Fire and theft also included in most third-party but it is usually the cheaper of the 2 types of insurance.

You need to figure out what type of insurance you have and then ring them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 MonkhouseIHH

I crashed last year in November, it was a very close call. It is understandable to be shook up, but in a few months time everything will be grand. Just be glad you're ok, only the car needs fixing! It was through no fault of your own, anybody can get caught on black ice!

As was said, if ya have fully comp just contact the insurance company and tell them! It is quite an easy process.

• Registered Users, Subscribers, Registered Users 2 Posts: 47,343 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

The posters in the Motors forum will probably be able to help you better with this.

Moved from PI.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,152 ✭✭✭✭Berty

Besides Insurance.

What kind of car is it?
    What year is it?
    Where are you living?

These questions are so people in this forum can suggest where you should bring your car for an assessment to fix the damage. If you bring it to the main dealer to fix body damage they will only send it to a panel beater and charge you a supplement for organising it.

Answer the above questions and people can start suggesting who to speak to.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,283 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Apart from the 'what to do with the car' issues, be prepared to have a bit of a reaction to the accident. Everybody does.
    Some people experience it as a crying spell for (apparently) no reason, or a session of being really snappy with loved ones, or even a kind of manic period.
    This is all normal.

You're OK, that's the main thing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18 legendz

No other car was involved in the accident. There was black ice on the road, the car skid into a ditch. There is damage to the front, left front wing and the lights.
    Could’ve been worse, firstly feel very lucky to have walked away from the accident.
    I was able to reverse the car off the road out of the way at first. Someone had stopped to see if I was ok and then drove off.
    I felt ok, the car seemed to drive to I drove the hour journey home.
    I won’t be driving the car again for a while.
    I feel ok myself, no bangs or bruises.

My insurance is comprehensive.

I live in the Limerick area and the car is an Almera ‘04.

Thanks for ye’re advice.
    I appreciate I might have a reaction to this. I’ve been ok so far, went to the shop for food when I got home for the basics milk and bread. Felt strange, an hour earlier I was lucky not to have been killed.
    I don’t think I’ll cry but snappiness, which is possible.

Yeah, I’m ok anyway, I or the insurance can pay the damage to fix the car. Going to be awkward getting to work in another town but sure, I’ll get a lift off a mate or will hire a car.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,763 Mod ✭✭✭✭ToxicPaddy

The main thing is that you're ok, it happens.. had a few accidents myself over the years and once the inital shock is over you'll realise it wasnt that bad and you'll be fine. It shakes you up a bit but its all a learning curve..

Believe me, if its only the wing and lights damaged on one side and the car was driveable afterwards then you should be good. Possibly a few hundred euros worth of damage done so it could be sorted without claiming through your insurance.

First things first, get the car checked by a mechanic to make sure there isnt any damage underneath which could affect steering, brakes suspension etc. Safety first, dont assume anything..

After that's done, get a price for the repairs and decide if you can afford to fix it yourself.

If not, contact the insurance company and put in for a claim, they will send you out the forms, probably get you to bring a car to an approved garage to either get it assessed or send someone out and then arrange for it to be fixed.

If you need a car in the meantime, most companies offer a rental car while yours is off getting repaired

Simple as that.

Dont be worrying about it all, cars are just big metal lumps that can be repaired or replaced.. not so easy with people..

So put it all down to experience and get back behind the wheel.

Tox

Thanks for that!;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,245 ✭✭✭psycho-hope

Just to add to toxic's post you dont have to use the repairers your insurer's recommend, ask the garage you normally use if there is anyone in the era they can recommend.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,523 ✭✭✭TJJP

Damage as you suggest could cost up to €2,000 to fix but that's a very high guestimate (bumper, bonnet, wing, lights, slam panels, paint and labour).

At that rate, you might have no claims protection on your insurance and be allowed up to two claims at maximum €3,000ish before your insurance premium is affected in future years. Downside of this is that you won't be able to change insurers easily within the nexty five years.

If the repair cost is low enough that you can avoid going via the insurers that might be a better option. You'll pay for repairs now but your insurance record won't be affected.

You'll get it sorted and it won't be a worry within in a few months.

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭wax

I was involved in a crash a few years ago (I wasn't driving) and I stayed away from cars for a while. When I did get back in the passenger seat I was petrefied. The best thing you can do is drive again as soon as you can.
    I had a scare myself yesterday in the Castletroy area in Limerick. I was crawling but the car took off on a bend. I hope you get sorted soon.

I had to drive for an hour after the crash.
    The first thing I did is see if it would start.
    It did and was mobile to drove home.

The only drive now will be to a garage, that'll have to be during the day.

Advertisement