Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

worried about 7yr olds weight

Options
  • 27-12-2009 2:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 12,399 ✭✭✭✭

Hi all, My daughter is 7yrs old and always had a great appetite. She actually doesnt stop eating and will try everything.
    Shes not over weight but her stomach is huge (like a pregnant womans belly!)
    Shes always had a big pot belly but i just think its getting bigger lately and it worries me as i see her little friends of the same age and size and they dont have big bellies.
    Anyone come by this before or even know what im talking about?

Ive been trying to keep her eating in check over the christmas but shes always hungry! i know a lot of people tell me i'm lucky shes like that because it could be the opposite but im still worried about her.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 37,485 ✭✭✭✭Khannie

How much fat is she carrying compared to other kids her age?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,399 ✭✭✭✭maameeo

not much, you wouldnt look at her and say shes fat, its mainly her belly. she'd be slightly over average id say everywhere else.
    shes always running around, does irish dancing and in school they do basketball aswell as PE so she gets exercise.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 17,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭Das Kitty

maameeo wrote: »
    not much, you wouldnt look at her and say shes fat, its mainly her belly. she'd be slightly over average id say everywhere else.
    shes always running around, does irish dancing and in school they do basketball aswell as PE so she gets exercise.

If I was doing all that I'd be always hungry too!

Does your doctor think she's overweight? It could just be her body shape at the moment if she's otherwise fine. It could be a particular intolerance causing her belly to swell.

If she's healthy and her body shape isn't bothering her I'd leave it alone tbh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 771 ✭✭✭Johnny Giles

It may be that she is eating way too much or it could also be a sign of something much worse and more dangerous. You should get the doctor to examine it to be on the safe side.

maameeo wrote: »

Sounds like everything's ok then. Kids need lots of energy for two things:

1) growing
    and
    2) all the moving around they do

If you think her bodyfat levels are ok it might be worth checking for allergies which cause bloating with the doctor, but other than that I wouldn't be overly concerned. Maybe try feeding her healthier, slower release foods (fruit or carrot sticks for example). Foods like that tend to keep you from feeling hungry for longer.

• Advertisement

It may be that she is eating way too much or it could also be a sign of something much worse and more dangerous.

Jaysus....way to cause worry there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 771 ✭✭✭Johnny Giles

Khannie wrote: »
    Jaysus....way to cause worry there.

Well you know that a large belly could be something to do with the kidneys or the bladder or the cervix etc. Could be anything down there really.

Might not specifically be fat. It could be fatty tissue building up around an organ or some sort of blockage stopping the breaking down of food.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,584 ✭✭✭PCPhoto

my sister had the same when she was a kid.....

well...almost....she was as skinny as a rake - but ate and ate (and ate)......soon as she got older and slowed down or stopped playing sports - she gained weight and had health problems. (some of the health problems led to her gaining weight)

to the OP - my advice is theres no point in trying to stop her eating - it will only make her eat junk foods - get her to eat healthier, more fruits, veg.... and continue the exercises she is doing.

theres no need to worry - she's a growing girl..... with a healthy appetite.... too many skinny girls out there (bag's o' bones the lot of them)..... let her grow up and help her to eat healthily...thats all you can do as a parent.

Advertisement