Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Back from the Brink

Options
  • 27-12-2009 2:58pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,143 ✭✭✭

ok so a little bit of backround - I'm a 5'10 22 year old male. when the GAA season finished at the end of October i was 175 lb and roughly 15% body fat. I got on the scales today and weighed 205 lb :eek: - took my body fat and it was 27% :eek: :eek:

completely my own fault due to eating and drinking pure crap for 2 months and literally doing no training. there is a 4.5 km run around my house again at the end of october i could do this in 19 minutes. I tried today and I could only run 3km I had to walk the rest.

so I decided to set up this training log. GAA doesnt start back for a few weeks yet but iv decided to start training for a 10km race in mid feburary.

My long term goals are;
    get weight down to <170lb
    get body fat down between 10-15%
    run the 10km in < 45mins
    bench my body weight
    squat 1.5 times my body weight
    dead lift ??% my body weight

short term goals
    train a minimum of 5 days a week
    eat healthy - includes giving up drink

thats all I can think of now - wish me luck :)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,143 ✭✭✭bubbleking

today wasnt as bad as yesterday thank god - did the 4.5km in 26 minutes although was a little disappointed I had to walk 500m in the middle of my run.

Tomorrow is a rest day so plan for Wednesday is to run the full course without needing any breaks

today i accomplished my first goal and ran the entire course in 23 minutes without stopping. I also threw in some core work (plank, side plank and supermans) before the run and did a good 15 minutes flexibility work after.

Tomorrow i want to get to the gym for my first weights session - I wanted to get a few days cardio in first to "loosen" out my body after a long layoff.

when i stopped training in November my 1RM for the Squat was 165kg and Bench was 75kg. I have never dead lifted before so Il throw that in tomorrow too. I intend to start off pretty light for the first session and go from there.

also weighed myself today - I plummeted to 192lb from 205lb on saturday - that cant be right?? i have been eating really well and training nearly every day but still that seems ridiculous - and yes before you ask i weighed myself with the same scales, at the same time of the day and in my boxer shorts like the first day.

anyway i wont complain - onwards and upwards

just back from the gym did the following

5 mins warm up on treadmill

Bench - 5 reps x 50kg x 2 sets
    5 x 60kg x 3

Squat 5 x 90kg x 5

Deadlift 5 x 70kg x 5 - Iv never deadlifted before

Pullups 3 x 5

20 mins hard cycle on the bike

10 mins shake out run on the treadmill

Im expecting to be crippled with DOMS tomorrow but il still try and get out to do a shakeout run if I can - Iv missed the satisfying pain that DOMS brings :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,660 ✭✭✭G86

bubbleking wrote: »
    just back from the gym did the following

5 mins warm up on treadmill

Bench - 5 reps x 50kg x 2 sets
    5 x 60kg x 3

Squat 5 x 90kg x 5

Deadlift 5 x 70kg x 5 - Iv never deadlifted before

Pullups 3 x 5

20 mins hard cycle on the bike

10 mins shake out run on the treadmill

Im expecting to be crippled with DOMS tomorrow but il still try and get out to do a shakeout run if I can - Iv missed the satisfying pain that DOMS brings :)

Fair play, looks like you're really starting to get into it now, best of luck :)

Sad to say i fell off the wagon at the weekend :o - a new years binge of drink and junk food and im pretty much back to square one again (sigh)

anyway i went for a light shake out yesterday mainly to get rid of the DOMS. I had intended to go to do a gym session today however the gym is closed due to flooding and I cant run on the roads due to it being an ice rink.

so i need to start all over again. Festive season is over so no more excuses. very disappointed in myself that I let it happen but hopefully i can progress from here.

• Advertisement

Finally got back to training today thank God - im so sick of this snow!

anyway I did the 4.5km course today in 22 mins and I had to take it very easy due to the dodgy conditions

I have been able to maintain my weight at 192lb over the last week just eating clean although I havn't been training as much as id like to.

Did a VO2 max test today to help out a fellow student on a research project - for those of you unfamiliar with this - you basically run on a treadmill for about 20 mins until your reach exhaustion.

I scored a 56.4 which was within the normative values of a field games player so Im pretty happy with that.

Im kind of happy the snow is melting as I can get back out running again. Im also back training with the GAA club so Im goin to try and fit weight sessions in tuesday, thursday and saturday for the next 4-6 weeks and go from there.

Just had a team training session there - was really good as our trainer is excellent (ex international athlete) - this circuit was done 3 times each station lasted for 30 seconds and a 10 second break in between with a 2 minute break between circuits. you had to complete as many reps as possible for each station.

Burpees
    Bench press 35kg
    Holding legs and upper torso off the ground while twisting with a ball
    40cm hurdle hops
    holding a 15kg weight straight out
    60cm hurdle hops leading into a sprint
    puss-ups on a medicine ball
    Plyometric work pushing off a 25cm box
    plank
    wall squats
    shoulder press 20kg
    overhead medicine ball throws
    sit-ups

we then went outside to do track work - I was wrecked at this stage :eek:

we had to run as hard and as far as possible for 1 minute with a 2 minute break and we had to do 8 sets of these runs so 24 minutes

we then went back inside to do the plank and both side planks for 1 minute each - im now going to bed as I am wrecked :)

had a 1 hour spinning session tonight was pretty tough but I got through it - i can feel myself getting fitter every day so im feeling good right now :)

had a 1 hour circuit session tonight that really kicked the crap outta me - included lots of spidermans, sleigh pushes, chin ups, press ups and squats to name just a few. Il have to take my weight and Body fat again this weekend because it feels like I have lost a lot so it would be interesting to see how Im getting on.

• Advertisement

helped another friend out with research today so I had a portable metabolic unit on me for 3 hours doing normal daily activities such as washing dishes, sweeping, jogging and a short game of tennis. I got some really useful data from the testing.

My resting metabolic rate is 2650 cals
    if i do my normal daily activities it is 3141 cals
    and if i have a moderate to difficult training session it moves up to 4k + cals

This is helpful in knowing what amount of food i need to consume in order to lose weight - things are going well just need to keep it up :)

Burpees
    Bench press 35kg
    Holding legs and upper torso off the ground while twisting with a ball
    40cm hurdle hops
    holding a 15kg weight straight out
    60cm hurdle hops leading into a sprint
    puss-ups on a medicine ball
    Plyometric work pushing off a 25cm box
    plank
    wall squats
    shoulder press 20kg
    overhead medicine ball throws
    sit-ups

We did this circuit again tonight except with half the recovery time (5 seconds) which I found quite tough.

After we went out for a 4km run and i pretty happy that i clocked an 18.51 - still lots of room for improvement but im happy with the progress Im making so far - Im hoping to do an update of my weight and body fat this weekend so that will let me know how I am progressing overall.

I fell very sore at the moment tbh I think Il take tomorrow off training and use it as a recovery day I had intended to do a weight session but I really think my body needs a break

Sinning again tonight

also did core work as well as squats and deadlifts and benching

Im taking my weight and body fat on tueday as it will be one month exactly since i started being the "new me"

after 1 month of " the new me this is how I am getting on

26th Dec 205lb......................26th Jan 189lb...........Lost 16lb :)

26th Dec 27% BF...................26th Jan 20% BF..............Lost 7% :)

can now run the 4.5km course in 19 mins 22 seconds

obv im pretty happy with my progress just got to keep it up now...

Played a GAA match last night - although Im making progress it really showed how far I had to go fitness wise. In saying that i had been out of action sat - tues with a chest infection so im assuming that had some effect on my fitness??

weight session and spinning class tonight tonight

Bench 60kg x 6 x 3

Deadlift 100kg x 6 x 3

Squat 80kg x 6 x 3

Full chin ups 4 x 3

Shoulder Press 40kg x 6 x 3

Spinning class was tough but i was really putting it in so happy enuf :)

sprinting today

50m in 6 seconds followed by a 20 seconds break x 25

absolutely dying but need to build up the anaerobic endurance - so a necessary evil

circuit class last night was fairly standard until the very end where we had 10 minutes to do the following in any order:

100 push ups
    50 full pull ups
    50 box jumps - 50cm box.

I tried to spread out the exercises as much as I could so I wouldn't fatigue in the arms too quickly but the last 20 or so push ups were a struggle to say the least. In saying that I feel great today.

Ha and I just realised that yesterday was the one month marker for not consuming any alcohol or junk food and in general just living healthier. Thanks to all the regular posters in the main orum I couldnt have gotten this far(still a long way to go) without you.

I didnt bother putting in wed nights session because it was just standard GAA training and its not really quantifiable if you get me.

last night;

Advanced Spinning class for 45 min

Bench 60kg x 8 x 2, 60kg x 6 x 1.............burned out on the last set

Full chin ups 5 reps x 3 sets

Squat 70kg x 8 x 1, 90kg x 8 x 1, 100kg x 6 x 1, 110kg x 4 x 1

Deadlift 100kg x 6 x 1, 110 x 6 x 1, 120 x 4 x 1........legs were burning after spining so had to call it quits.

note to self - to weights before cardio in future :pac:

Just had bog standard GAA training this morning wasnt to strenuous tbh but one thing i noticed was I am still a little tender from the weights I did on friday night and that def affected my training today

Does anyone know any ways I can recover quicker so in essence I can train harder when I go out to do my sessions?

I have a match tomorrow and tuesday is a "rest day" but id like to be cutting down on rest days and maybe introducing something?? so on day 3 i can go back to full hard training again.

Any ideas?

• Advertisement

GAA training tonight

well i say GAA training but it was more a speed endurance/sprinting session as we didnt see a football :rolleyes:

did 800m x 4 as fast as possible with 2 min breaks in between

figure 8's of the football field x 3

Sprints 30 x 50m with a 20 second break in between

Did the usual warm up/ cool down / stretching too

• Registered Users Posts: 968 ✭✭✭Chet Zar

Does anyone know any ways I can recover quicker so in essence I can train harder when I go out to do my sessions?

Any ideas?

Well I noticed you squatted, benched and deadlifted all on the one day - try squatting OR deadlifting, doing both in the one session can be draining.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,025 ✭✭✭d'Oracle

Or at least, break them up.

Squat first, then press, then deadlift.

Give you legs a chance.

tonight was just normal GAA training but I got to drop our 6'2 midfielder with a hit - something i wouldnt have been quick enough or strong enough to do 6 weeks ago...see video for demonstration :D;)

I really should be updating this more often.

had a match on Sunday and training tonight - I have taken everyones advice on board re my diet so Im hoping this will help me with my weight loss. I have toughly another 2 weeks before my monthly weigh in so im going to push hard to try and get down sub 180lbs :cool:

Just had a half an hour to spare today so made it into our weight room in the lab - unfortunately no squat rack :(

ALL SETS WERE 5 REPS

Bench - 50kg 55kg 60kg 65kg 60kg

Deadlift - 80kg 100kg 100kg 110kg 80kg

Had regular GAA training last night nothing much to report.

I went out for an easy run today because I have a match tomorrow but ended up setting a PB for the 4.5km run by my house - 17.58 :D i feel like i could have went an awful lot harder so that is a great sign. My monthly weigh in is next friday so im going to work really hard this week to get below 180lb........

dammit match was called off today caus of bad weather.

did 100 push ups and 100 sit ups to get out the frustration :P

very easy session at GAA training tonight because of the game on friday - big weigh in tomorrow :)

• Advertisement

after 1 month of " the new me this is how I am getting on

26th Dec 205lb......................26th Jan 189lb...........Lost 16lb :)

26th Dec 27% BF...................26th Jan 20% BF..............Lost 7% :)

can now run the 4.5km course in 19 mins 22 seconds

obv im pretty happy with my progress just got to keep it up now...

current weight 181.8lb.........lost another 7lb..............lost 23lb total :D

have to check my body fat tomorrow

fastest time for the 4.5km - 17mins 58 seconds

Im going to try and fit in my 1RMs at some stage this week too

Advertisement