Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The End of Time Part 2 - Spoilers

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,159 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Ahh I always liked Rose I have to admit. *ducks*:D

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 554 ✭✭✭spongeman

ixoy wrote: »
    I didn't because I never liked Rose and wanted the blonde bitch out of the show. I was definitely in a "get on with it" frame of mind for that.
    And it's Series 28 not 2 :p

Listen mate Billy Piper was the best out of the new companions. Martha and Donna were brutal.

You d'ont have to be an astronaut to work that out.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,634 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

I didn't because I never liked Rose and wanted the blonde bitch out of the show. I was definitely in a "get on with it" frame of mind for that.
    And it's Series 28 not 2 :p
    She redeemed herself somewhat for the finale & the goodbye scene was nicely handled. I hated Rose for most of series 2 ... 8, and she hit rock bottom with her behavior around Sarah Jane, but the end was neat (and at the time, terminal).

I got used to calling the New Series by their relative names, series 28 feels a wee bit clunky.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 25,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭Doctor DooM

spongeman wrote: »
    Listen mate Billy Piper was the best out of the new companions. Martha and Donna were brutal.

Alot of people dislike Rose because she is a mary sue.

Personally, I don't have a problem with her, prefer both Donna and Wilf but she didn't annoy me at all.

Secondly, I demand it be referred to as series twoty eight.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,759 ✭✭✭Killer_banana

Personally I think Rose started out well. I think her character got lost somewhere in season 2(8) though. when she returned in Turn Left and Journey's End she seemed more believable. In my opinion the problem was that the writing was focused too much on her romance with the Doctor and not her as a character. That's just me personally though. I still think Rose was a very good companion.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,916 ✭✭✭✭iguana

Imo the character of Donna was a better character than Rose but Catherine Tate didn't have the acting chops to do her justice.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,993 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

Disagree. Martha was a bit bland but her character didn't hog the show the way Rose and the romance did. I found her petulant often (such as her behaviour around Sarah Jane, as mentioned).
    Donna was a better companion and I believe Tate did have the ability - Donna mellowed as the season went on, which is very evident comparing her in the Season 30 finale with the brash loud Donna we saw again in "The End of Time".

Wilfred p'owns them all though.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,692 ✭✭✭✭BlitzKrieg

Martha Jones was the companion I started with so I have a soft spot for her, I dislike Rose when something important is going on because she makes the end of the world look like a teenage girl sulking, but the one off episodes she works quite well. I liked Donna aswell because she can do both the one offs and the big ones. Martha Jones was less proliferant in her season as the others but I personnally liked her.

an old thread about favourite series etc I summed up my opinion on Rose Tyler:
    Also series 1 and 2 have the misfortune of having Rose as the companion who for me is either a good companion or an unsufferable b*tch who I wish to strangle. Its made worse that its usually the bad episodes where she's ok, because its usually in those where her and the doctor have chemistry and she's lighthearted. When she gets serious I just want to strangle her, even more so when its serious about the doctor. Series 3 has Martha, who I actually like as a companion and while she also suffers from doctor envy, its never as bad as Rose's (mostly because the writer's write Martha's with the knowledge that her love will be unrequited, while they seem to have some hard on for Rose and believe her and the doctor are destined, which they actually do at the end of 4 which just pissed me off more) My only complaint about Martha is they brought her back in torchwood and series 4 to do nothing essentially which is a shame. Donna is a good companion but mostly because of Turn left which is her highlight of series 4

Back on topic though...anyone else sad that we had very little continuity through the specials...like arc words or similar?

Also is the confidential worth watching?

BlitzKrieg wrote: »
    Martha Jones was the companion I started with so I have a soft spot for her, I dislike Rose when something important is going on because she makes the end of the world look like a teenage girl sulking, but the one off episodes she works quite well. I liked Donna aswell because she can do both the one offs and the big ones. Martha Jones was less proliferant in her season as the others but I personnally liked her.

an old thread about favourite series etc I summed up my opinion on Rose Tyler:

Back on topic though...anyone else sad that we had very little continuity through the specials...like arc words or similar?

Also is the confidential worth watching?

The christmas and easter specials were really throw away. really, really.

• Registered Users Posts: 38 yaines

I loved it. I thought it was absolutey brilliant. I said RTD usually managed to redeem himself somehow (for me anyway) and boy did he.

Sorry, I don't want to quote your entire post for space purposes but I just wanted to say I agree with every word of it. I'm very pleased to see that someone else enjoyed it as much as I did, especially after reading 3 pages of "meh's" from everyone else! Unbelieveably, I had the same theory about the mystery woman but, like you, don't know enough about Doctor folklore to back it up with anything.

The only thing that annoyed me (which I don't think you mentioned but others have) is the falling from the spaceship scene. Somewhere out there, Tom Baker is well pissed off. Wasn't his regeneration caused by the same thing? Only from a shorter height and onto a grassy surface? When it was happening, I thought it was going to be a nod to the old Who but then when he got back up, I couldn't help but think "WTF?!"

Very sad when 11 thought he'd survived (and, for a split second, even had fantasies that Tennant was actually going to stay on and the whole Matt Smith thing had been a massive decoy set up by RTD to fool us all) but then heard Wilf knocking. Very well done though.

All in all, relatively happy with Tennant's & RTD's send off and am more than looking forward to seeing what Smith & Moffatt have in store for us in the Spring!

• Advertisement

I found her petulant often (such as her behaviour around Sarah Jane, as mentioned).

The thing about Rose that really grated for me was how much everyone loved her. The bit in TPTW when Jack is going to his near certain death and saying goodbye and he says 'you are worth dying for' or something like that, all I could think was 'why?'

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 13,425 ✭✭✭✭Ginny

The thing that annoyed me most about Rose was the god awful dentistry job she reappeared with.

yaines wrote: »

You know it's ok for you to love it and others to hate it. It's all just opinion :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 554 ✭✭✭spongeman

yaines wrote: »
    Sorry, I don't want to quote your entire post for space purposes but I just wanted to say I agree with every word of it. I'm very pleased to see that someone else enjoyed it as much as I did, especially after reading 3 pages of "meh's" from everyone else! Unbelieveably, I had the same theory about the mystery woman but, like you, don't know enough about Doctor folklore to back it up with anything.

All in all, relatively happy with Tennant's & RTD's send off and am more than looking forward to seeing what Smith & Moffatt have in store for us in the Spring!

Hurray another who has seen the light !

Now there are 3 of us fighting the forces of darkness...........

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,082 ✭✭✭✭Spiritoftheseventies

So in terms of Rose's story line where did we finish up. When he last saw her she was in Norway with Doctor Who's body double?

iguana wrote: »
    The thing about Rose that really grated for me was how much everyone loved her. The bit in TPTW when Jack is going to his near certain death and saying goodbye and he says 'you are worth dying for' or something like that, all I could think was 'why?'
    Exactly - what did she do that was so special? Why go to all these lengths for her, put her on such a pedestal and yet dump Sarah Jane (yeah alright, she did get her own show). Yes she's preferable to some of the early screamers but why not say hold Jamie up in the same regard? After all Jamie McCrimmon appeared in more episodes of the show than most of the Doctors.

Exactly - what did she do that was so special? Why go to all these lengths for her, put her on such a pedestal and yet dump Sarah Jane (yeah alright, she did get her own show). Yes she's preferable to some of the early screamers but why not say hold Jamie up in the same regard? After all Jamie McCrimmon appeared in more episodes of the show than most of the Doctors.

She opened the eye of harmony and destroyed virtually every dalek in existence?

(That's actually only adding to the mary- sue- ness, I know.)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,634 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

So in terms of Rose's story line where did we finish up. When he last saw her she was in Norway with Doctor Who's body double?
    Yup, so presumably that'll (finally) be the last we see of her. Of course this is sci-fi at it's least "sci" so there's always a chance that oops, the barrier between universes has fallen again and guess who's back?

Yup. I assume thats happily ever after as now her love is requited.

Being pedantic but it's the Doctor, the name of the Programme is Doctor Who. :)

Yup. I assume thats happily ever after as now her love is requited.

I think when they met in the street near the end it was 2005. So what year was it when she was in Norway

• Advertisement

I think when they met in the street near the end it was 2005. So what year was it when she was in Norway

2008 if I recall.

She opened the eye of harmony and destroyed virtually every dalek in existence?

She hadn't done that yet at the point Jack was so happy to die for her.

2008 if I recall.
    Dont know why they have to keep bringing her back. The farewell scene in Doomsday was perfect and then they had to spoil it all by re uniting them again.

iguana wrote: »
    She hadn't done that yet at the point Jack was so happy to die for her.

Oops. Brainectomy :)

I always hated that "knock knock" joke that ended with "Doctor Who?" "How did you know my name!" and I was there saying "It's not his name! It's the Doctor!" I don't care what the credits said in the first few seasons (or in some of the Target novelizations), nobody on screen called him "Doctor Who" because that's not who he is. Except for WOTAN but WOTAN is stupid.

I always hated that "knock knock" joke that ended with "Doctor Who?" "How did you know my name!" and I was there saying "It's not his name! It's the Doctor!" I don't care what the credits said in the first few seasons (or in some of the Target novelizations), nobody on screen called him "Doctor Who" because that's not who he is. Except for WOTAN but WOTAN is stupid.
    I'm going to pretend I don't know who WOTAN was ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

Ginny wrote: »
    The thing that annoyed me most about Rose was the god awful dentistry job she reappeared with.

At first I thought someone had parked a white 40ft trailer in her mouth.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,645 ✭✭✭Daemos

Oh, I just thought of something that I'm only posting for my own self-indulgence

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055549659

:D

DaPoolRulz wrote: »
    Oh, I just thought of something that I'm only posting for my own self-indulgence

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055549659

:D

lol @ my redtop related cynicism.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 8,955 Mod ✭✭✭✭mewso

A big meh for me. Some good some bad. The ending was like Return of the King and I was muttering "At least Tom Baker went quietly" at the end. Must be something wrong with me as I didn't find the green spiky aliens bothersome at all. I know why they were there and it didn't annoy me.

One question I kept asking was what kind of copies of the Master were they. If they were exact copies how likely is it that any of them would willingly take on a role as an ordinary soldier etc.? Surely they would all be looking to take over the world.

Co-incidentally I was watching The Keeper of Traken the other night which features Anthony Ainley as The Master (my earliest memory of The Master) and at the end of the DVD there is a brief but touching piece with Ainley smiling at the camera and saying "Thanks Gov" before walking off screen. He sadly passed away in 2004.

Advertisement