Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

new year, new me??? starting to run again

Options
  • 27-12-2009 3:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 23

Hi everyone,
    Well here goes a new year and hopefully a new me. I am posting this so that I will have an incentive to keep up with my new goal.
    My partner has given me a garmin forerunner 405 for xmas :D and my loyal friend (springer spaniel) gets me out the door every day without fail. so all I need now is to put it up there to get me going.
    I used to run up til about a year ago, but life took over and I have only walked since over 14 months. :mad:
    So my goal is to start with walk/run sessions about 3 or 4 times a week of about 4-5km each, walk on other days. Then I want to add a bit of yoga when am settled into running routine, and then would like to aim to run 5km 4 times a week by St Pats day? Not too hard, but I am working 3 part time jobs (adding up to over 42 hrs a week) and studying for degree at same time so dont want to do too much especialy with dark nights at the moment.
    Any support or ideas welcome. :)
    Tagged:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,144 ✭✭✭Bally8

Hi catherin, welcome to the training logs. My OH gave me a forerunner for christmas too. Its great isnt it? Im like a kid with a new toy. Best of luck with the plans. My advice would be to keep updating the log, the support and information you get on this forum is excellent.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

Welcome to the logs catherin, and good luck :)

• Registered Users Posts: 23 catherin

Hi guys,

thanks for encouragement.

Anyway, was out last night and overdid it a bit...not home til 5am so did not think i would be able to run at all but took my garmin with me when bringing my doggy for his walk, just to get the hang of it.

And guess what, i got a bit stubborn and decided i was not going to let the virtual partner get the best of me. so started by speeding up my walk to a very slow jog...and suprised myself as i ran/well slow jogged for 26 mins. :D
    That virtual partner is mighty..especially if you are a bit stubborn like me. Will walk only tomorow as I dont want to do too much too fast but will try to run again on tuesday. heart rate probably a bit high at 80% or so, but dont care as I did it! and feel great!:)

Well so much for that! what with weather and everything it sure has put spanner in the works!
    Well have not been completly lasy but with ice on roads to dangerous to run and today its like a snow/sleet blizzard!

Update so far:
    on 28th we went for a long fast walk on a road that had lots of very steep hills. 8.6 km in 1.15hr so walked fairly fast all the way and felt great.:D
    on 29th went for a walk...found it hard to find a road without too much ice that we could walk on. So I can say I did stay "active"...just about, only walked 4.2 km!:o
    today 30th: waited almost til nightfall to see would weather improve but only got worse and so only went long enough and far enough to keep our hyper spinger spaniel happy...in what felt like a sleet/snow blizzard! only just about 3kms I think. :(
    Hope tomorow picks up for a short while. As while I dont mind some wind/rain I am feeling the extreme cold at the moment plus the sleet is rotten. would much rather the snow!
    I wonder is anyone else finding it hard to train in this weather? or rather start a new training regime?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 139 ✭✭theo4130

yeah training can be hard with cold wet weather, chill blains from feet to arse during the 'warm up' shower
    ive been doing a good bit in the mornings, trying to get into triathalons proper this year. i have had 2 days which were a bit hairy on the ice but so far its been avoidable in wicklow, i live in greystones by the sea so there are always ice free places to run/cycle

• Advertisement

hi theo4130,

Good luck with triathlons...they are tough and training for them hard.

Believe it or not this is how I first came to running. I decided to do one in my area the first year they put it on, was as a fundraiser for local RNLI. but while I can swim (no style at all on me...i do a mixture of crawl and breaststrokes between my arms and feet!), i had never run before and my partner who cycles regularly decided to enter with me as a team so I did swim 750 metres(never again, open sea, worst rough seas ever seen, almost called off triathlon because of weather) he did cycle 40k, and I did run 6k. and suprisingly we came in the middle so were thrilled especially as we only had mountain bike! but enjoyed it so much I stayed running for long time afterwards. They have now changed it to olympic size triathlon which means 1500 metre open sea swim...so not really tempted with that!

I live by the sea too but on west coast and have never seen frost like this before, with all non national roads totally impassable. I usually go on the quieter ones because I have dog with me and cant really watch him on busier road if running. But my usual routes had 3-4 inch ice, and after rain it had made it like an ice rink, could not even stand up on it. Not worth the injury...:eek:

Anyway, got up this morning, no power since 9.30pm last night so figured might as well go for a run...did not feel too cold in my back garden...should hve known better.
    There was a freezing strong wind blowing! Anyway I figured I'll run a bit to warm me up, ran over 2km against the wind and was so cold on legs and hands that I had to turn back. :(
    But with the wind in my back my hands were roasting in seconds and even pulled off my hood took off my hat and opened my jacket..so just shows how wind chill affects us!
    In the end I ran 4.3km...not great but great for me who hasn't run in so long and while time is nothing to brag about (26mins) it is ok considering my first few days back....and the weather.
    Feeling great now for doing it and I feel I can go out tonight to ring in the new year, and not feel too guilty!:D And as you can see, power is back for last hour, finally!

So happy new year to everyone and I hope it 'll be a great year for everyone with lots of great running and no injuries.

Advertisement