Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Westmeath County Council refuse to help with frozen pipes

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 952 ✭✭✭Themadhouse

We got our water back this morn. Heating system seems to have an airlock in it tho so it's not working at the mo. It'll be next week before we can get a plumber out. The council will continue to switch the water off at night time for the next week to conserve water and fix leaks. Ffs. So it'll be another while before we see the full benefit of having running water!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 62 ✭✭Cpt Beefheart

Is there a chance that someone's water could be back on but an air lock has stopped it arriving out of the taps? How would you know, just guage it by your neighbours all getting their water back??:confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 450 ✭✭tubos

I suppose those without water the longest due to pipes frozen will also see the thaw first, that's it their pipes are nearer to the surface. Our water went on the very last cold day so it could be a few days before the thaw gets down to them!

• Registered Users Posts: 312 ✭✭Lynfo

Ours came back last night (Killucan), frightened the living crap out of my when I turned on the tap, but it's been a long time since I was so happy to see something as simple as a working tap!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,598 ✭✭✭Saint_Mel

My water came back at 3.30am ... frightened the bejaysus out of me when I heard it flow through the tap

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭testicle

Garth wrote: »
    We woke up Christmas morning to no water and consequently no heat.

We put up with it for a couple days, but today rang a plumber and he came out and said it wasn't our pipes but the water supply.

I looked up the Westmeath Council "emergency" number for Mullingar and rang, and got a message that the mobile phone was turned off our out of service. I tried the Athlone number and was told there was nothing they can do, and because the temperature is going down to -5 tonight to expect it to last a good while.

I'm really angry. Surely this is insane. What kind of water supply system shuts down at -6 degrees?

The lays of Physics dictate that water freezes at 0 degrees Celcius. Are you expecting that Westmeath County Council somehow bends the laws of physics?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,259 ✭✭✭techdiver

testicle wrote: »
    The lays of Physics dictate that water freezes at 0 degrees Celcius. Are you expecting that Westmeath County Council somehow bends the laws of physics?

Surface temperature would differ significantly from sub surface pipe dept. If the pipes were laid at at appropriate dept there would be no issue, but due to shoddy development and equally shoddy inspections of housing developments by by council, this was not done.

which is why the pipes are buried beneath the ground, obviously not low enough. Talked to a council guy today and he said the pipes are not at the minimum depth in many estates in Athlone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 246 ✭✭Garth

The pipes should have been laid at a minimum depth of 750mm. Mine are not quite half that deep. They should never have been connected to the mains water, and the builders should have been made fix them. THEN the council should not have shut off water and left it still on the coldest nights of the year, helping the freezing along. At the end of the day, they've caused more freezing/bursting/leaks than they've prevented.

And what do you think? That colder countries the world over go months without water due to "water freezing at 0"?

our water is back :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭testicle

And what do you think? That colder countries the world over go months without water due to "water freezing at 0"?

They melt snow and ice. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 526 ✭✭✭mandz

Water came back Saturday morning!! Was so happy to hear the noise of the tap jerking and spitting as the water came through :D:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 246 ✭✭Garth

Now it's time to figure out how to get our pipes sorted out so this never happens again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭Saruman

My water came back on Friday night and has been fine ever since.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 RTÉ Prime Time: David

I'm a producer with RTE's Prime Time and we are doing a piece on the ongoing water shortages in Ireland.

I'd like to get in touch with someone who has been experiencing mains water shortages for a prolonged period to possibly contribute to a package we will be filming this week.

Ideally we'd like to film in the home of a family that is finding the lack of water particularly distressful.

I can be contacted at watershortages@gmail.com or through the forum.

Thanks,

David Lawless

Producer/Director
    Prime Time
    RTE

Now it's time to figure out how to get our pipes sorted out so this never happens again.

I'm keeping all the empty bottles on hand as I heard we're to get another cold spell and I ain't taking any chances!! As I think has been said here previously if the estate is not taken in charge its at the bottom of the Council's priorities.

Lake Point was highlighted on The Front Line last night. Had a builder and a counceller speaking in the audience. Everyone seemed to agree that it was definately someones fault ... just not theirs. They were just following orders

Saint_Mel wrote: »
    Lake Point was highlighted on The Front Line last night. Had a builder and a counceller speaking in the audience. Everyone seemed to agree that it was definately someones fault ... just not theirs. They were just following orders
    Someone made the rather crazy accusation that it was the fault of the water meter housing manufacturers, they were too short!

I fitted a standard meter and had no problems!

Someone made the rather crazy accusation that it was the fault of the water meter housing manufacturers, they were too short!

I fitted a standard meter and had no problems!

And it was the councils fault for only letting them bury the meter 18".
    I cant comment on Lake Point but mine is a lot less than 18" from the surface.

The self certify option the council give the builders is an absolute joke.

The builder was Michael (I think) Owens and the Councillor was good old Mick Dollard who got very red in the face when Pat Kenny stuck it to him last night about recent problems. It was the Owens guy that was backing Dollard up by putting in that stupid comment about the water meters. They both seemed to be getting thick the more Kenny was pointing out how stupid what they were saying was.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 76 ✭✭Maverick.ie

mandz wrote: »
    The builder was Michael (I think) Owens and the Councillor was good old Mick Dollard who got very red in the face when Pat Kenny stuck it to him last night about recent problems. It was the Owens guy that was backing Dollard up by putting in that stupid comment about the water meters. They both seemed to be getting thick the more Kenny was pointing out how stupid what they were saying was.

That was actually Johnny Owens, and he wasn't backing up Dollard, what he was saying is that the water pipes are buried the statutory required 18 incehes below the ground, but that it was a requiremnt of the council that the meters be installed just below the level of the footpath and that this is were the problem with the freezing took place

That was actually Johnny Owens, and he wasn't backing up Dollard, what he was saying is that the water pipes are buried the statutory required 18 incehes below the ground, but that it was a requiremnt of the council that the meters be installed just below the level of the footpath and that this is were the problem with the freezing took place

Were the meter housings modified in any way to bring the meters closer to the surface?
    Were they installed correctly? If so, then they shouldn't have frozen.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 76 ✭✭Maverick.ie

I have no idea dolanbaker I was only pointing out what Johnny Owens had said

There appears to be some serious buck passing going on there!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,595 ✭✭✭The Lovely Muffin

Is anyone elses water turned off tonight? Ours is, only a few drips out of the tap. :mad:

Mullingar area.

-Orlaith- wrote: »
    Is anyone elses water turned off tonight? Ours is, only a few drips out of the tap. :mad:

Mullingar area.

Think they're still turning water supply off at night. Also I've noticed they appear to causing air locks in taps with all they're messing about with the water pressure

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭Saruman

We have had some lower pressure the last few days sometimes resulting in the water not reaching the tank in the attic, but plenty out of the kitchen sink.

Rochfortbridge

• Registered Users Posts: 606 ✭✭✭time lord

-Orlaith- wrote: »

Mullingar area.
    No all fine. What area Lakepoint?

mandz wrote: »
    Think they're still turning water supply off at night. Also I've noticed they appear to causing air locks in taps with all they're messing about with the water pressure
    Our water hasn't been turne doff since last week.

Last night was the first time in a week ours has been turned off.

Also yesterday and today our water was turned off between 4-5pm. It's turned back on at 5pm.
    Saruman wrote: »
    We have had some lower pressure the last few days sometimes resulting in the water not reaching the tank in the attic, but plenty out of the kitchen sink.

Rochfortbridge
    Yeah, we've had our pressure reduced as well, but the water is still getting to the tank in the attic.

• Advertisement

Is anyone else still having their water turned off at night?

Ours is, and during the day our pressure is reduced.

It's only on weekends that the water isn't turned off, only the pressure reduced.

And there's nothing on the WCC website about it either, they last updated it on the 11 Feb.

Thanks.

Advertisement