Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wireless connection stopped working - WinXP

Options
  • 27-12-2009 4:06pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭

Hey folks,

Have a bit of a problem with one of my laptops, running WinXP.

It can detect my own network, and the one from next door, as it always has. But it won't connect.

I've turned off the firewall and anti-v software, in fact I've un-installed them. The Windows firewall is off.

I've disabled/re-enabled the wireless card, restarted my computer several times.

I've removed the networks from the network list and re-scanned.

I've manually entered the tcp/ip settings.

I can pick up the network, so I don't think my wireless card is acting up.

The network is working fine on a Windows 7 Laptop, I'm connected now.

Anything I'm missing?

Thanks

Des

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,521 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

Make sure your encryption password is correct when you enter it.

Does it say limited or no connectivity or will it not connect at all??

Also whats the make of the wireless adapter?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

yep, the password is correct, I know this because I disconnected the network on the win7 machine and typed the passwords together, letter by letter, on each one at the same time.

This one connected fine, the other one didn't.

I'm not getting Limited or No Connectivity, I am getting Acquiring Network Address, then it's not connecting.

Weird thing is that when I manually entered the ip address etc, it didn't show as connected even then.

The tcp/ip settings on the Win7 machine are, which I find by running ipconfig:

IP: 192.168.1.3
    Subnet Mask: 255.255.255.0
    Default Gateway: 192.168.1.1

So on the WinXP Machine I just set the IP as 192.168.1.4 to try to force the connection, nothing doing. Using the same s/net mask and DG.

I know what I'm doing, I worked in Tech Support for years, just wondering if there's something I'm overlooking.

It's an Acer Laptop, using the internal Intel Pro Wireless adapter.

It hasn't given any problems at all, and was working fine on Wednesday night, I was away Xmas Eve, Xmas Day and yesterday, and just turned it on this morning, and no connection.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,521 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

Reinstall the drivers and then make sure that Intel Pro Wireless software is not managing the connection. Sometimes this can cause a conflict.

jonny24ie wrote: »
    Reinstall the drivers
    Damn, I was hoping not to have to do this.

Haven't a notion where the disc is.
    and then make sure that Intel Pro Wireless software is not managing the connection. Sometimes this can cause a conflict.

Yep, I made sure to untick/tick the "allow windows to configure the connection" box.

Cheers man.

Des wrote: »
    Damn, I was hoping not to have to do this.

Haven't a notion where the disc is.

Yep, I made sure to untick/tick the "allow windows to configure the connection" box.

Cheers man.

Just download them from the intel website. ;)

• Advertisement

Just download them from the intel website. ;)

Cool, will try that.

Thanks again.

Although, in the device manager it's telling me that the device is working properly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 339 ✭✭docmol

I wouldn't download them from the intel site, it's possible acer have played with them. I know they do this with some of their video drivers. Download them from the Acer site. Your issue might be caused by an automatic driver update using Intel drivers. Have you tried system restore to xmas eve?

System Restore hasn't worked, went back to the 22nd.

Have downloaded the drivers from the Acer site as advised.

Fingers crossed :)

I'd say thats your best bet. I rebuilt a laptop for someone and the driver on the original cd that came with the laptop wouldn't pickup the wireless card at all.I ended up having to get a custom driver pack and using that for it and it worked perfect.

Maybe give it a bash, uninstall the wireless driver and try this:

* DriverPack WLAN

http://driverpacks.net/driverpacks/windows/xp/x86/wlan/8.06

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

Make sure Windows itself is managing the wireless, not the Acer or Intel software

• Advertisement

Erm, since I did the System Restore the machine is taking an age to boot. :confused:

I got the drivers direct from the Acer website, so will re-install as soon as it boots.

@ Pog Mo Thoin, cheers man, Windows was managing the network.

Des wrote: »
    Erm, since I did the System Restore the machine is taking an age to boot. :confused:

I got the drivers direct from the Acer website, so will re-install as soon as it boots.

@ Pog Mo Thoin, cheers man, Windows was managing the network.

If the driver doesn't do it then try the driver pack above and see if that works.

Advertisement