Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Going to Silverstone

• 27-12-2009 5:25pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,841 ✭✭✭

Planning to head over to a few gp's this season. Spa and Monza are definites so far. I was looking to go to one more European one, anything before July is out, I cant make the German GP and I have no interest in Hungary so I was thinking Silverstone.

Just wondering has anybody ever been? Is it a good one? Where do you stay and how do you get to the ground etc?

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 428 ✭✭Joneser

Ive been to silverstone 3 times before, camping by the site is by far the best for accomodation, you can just walk to the track and dont have the insane amount of traffic to worry about, I stayed at a hotel before and it was a few hours spent in traffic before arriving at the track. As for the best locations on the track, getting a seat at stowe corner is highly recommended, and copse (the first corner) is also good, but you will have to turn up early to get a decent place.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,841 ✭✭✭Running Bing

Joneser wrote: »
    Ive been to silverstone 3 times before, camping by the site is by far the best for accomodation, you can just walk to the track and dont have the insane amount of traffic to worry about, I stayed at a hotel before and it was a few hours spent in traffic before arriving at the track. As for the best locations on the track, getting a seat at stowe corner is highly recommended, and copse (the first corner) is also good, but you will have to turn up early to get a decent place.

Cheers Joneser.

I like the sound of camping but the only thing I was worried about is having feck all to do during the day...what I mean is the race/quali goes on for a few hours and then are you stuck on a camp site in the middle of nowhere with feck all to do?

Also did you get the ferry over and drive or fly over?

I flew over twice, and you can get a bus from the airport to the track if i am remembering correctly, and as for feck all to do during the day, there are plenty of support races on at the track aswell as f1, and you can also get a taxi to the local town and have a look around and do some shopping etc. I caught the ferry over for one of the races too though which was quite handy as you can go exploring the local area if u get bored of staying around the track, its a matter of personal preference i think really (one problem with this is that depending the time of day, the traffic can be quite bad as people arrive/leave the track)

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭Chopper888

Nottingham East Midlands, London Luton and Birmingham are the closest airports to Silverstone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,235 ✭✭✭vincenzolorenzo

I'm planning on heading to silverstone too. The plan at the moment is to ferry over and camp there. I've heard there's a great atmosphere in the campsite, which sounds deadly.

Just wondering whats the best ticket type to go for. Are there good vantage points to be had with the general admission ticket, or is it worth going for a grandstand ticket??

• Advertisement

You can get by with a general admission ticket but you would want to scout out the track for your favourite spots on the friday / early saturday, and then be prepared to get set up at your favourite spot VERY early on the sunday morning, and the problem is that if you want to change spots later on, then be prepared to do some pushing in order to get to the front of the crowd, if you are going with general admission, i recommend getting one of those camping chairs and setting up at the first corner, its a great spot

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 981 ✭✭✭se conman

A few mates got the ferry over and then hired a van which they then slept in and were also able to lock all their gear in.Much safer than leaving everything in a tent.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 536 ✭✭✭enzo7

We use go most years growing up, we always got the ferry and camped. Silverstone is a nightmare to get in and out off, apparently it has improved in recent yrs havnt been since 99. There is great craic around the campsites alright. Said id never go back there but might this season depending on funds. Use always be at the first corner or at luffields. You need to be up dead early doe to get your spot.

The camper van is a great idea if there is a few of ye to split the costs.

Advertisement