Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tips on changing an Aquarium Backround?

Options
  • 27-12-2009 5:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,563 ✭✭✭

Howdy,
    Well I've had a Juwel Rekord 70 for a few years now and the backing that I installed in the inside of the tank has started to come away from the glass and TBH i'd like to change it anyway. Could I just pull it out and install another on the Outside...would it look as good??
    I'm also tempted by these fibreglass 3D rock formations. If I was going down this road well then I'd definitely need to take the little fishies out and store them somewhere while I install.....Help :)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 228 ✭✭gnxx

In theory, both aquarium safe mastic and super glue can be used while the tank is full. I've done this a few times and find it very difficult compared with working on a dry tank. Remember to clean and dry the surfaces that will be glued.

I like simple backgrounds on the outside of the tank. Mastic or even tape can be used to hold this in place.

If you are draining a tank in this weather be aware of the temperature difference, you may need a heater in a temporary container.

Ensure that you keep all the water and make sure that the filter isn't allowed to dry out.

Be careful not to disturb sand or gravel at the bottom of the tank and make sure you keep it under water.

Personally, I hate moving fish and find they become traumatised either by the event or problems with disturbed substrate or dying filters. Generally I use this type of job as an excuse to buy another tank :-)

Hope this gives you some ideas ...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,713 ✭✭✭lrushe

I have a fairly big salt water aquarium so it was hard to find a big enough backing for it so my bf painted the back of the tank in a plain blue gloss paint and it worked a treat. It looks the exact same as our other tanks and best of all it won't peel off.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 228 ✭✭gnxx

lrushe wrote: »
    I have a fairly big salt water aquarium so it was hard to find a big enough backing for it so my bf painted the back of the tank in a plain blue gloss paint and it worked a treat. It looks the exact same as our other tanks and best of all it won't peel off.

This is a great option. If you use vinyl paint it is water proof and will scrape off easily if you sponge it with nail varnish remover first. Unfortunately if you are using a spray can the fumes are nasty and I would suggest emptying the tank and working outside.

• Registered Users Posts: 576 ✭✭✭Fishyfreak

Tec7 silicone is aquarium safe and can be used underwater but it's very messy to do.

The 3-d textured backgrounds give a great effect but they are expensive and take up room (Rekord 70 is small enough as it is!!)

Painting it is a good option, i've seen it done very well by a few people.

If you need any info or help get onto the Leinster Fishkeeping Society forum, loads of friendly advice www.irishfishforum.com

• Registered Users Posts: 2,563 ✭✭✭Fingers Mcginty

Looks like the 3D textured background aint for my tank as they seem quite thick nominally 5cm so I'll be sticking (excuse the pun) with the poster background. I really don't want to go down the road of draining the tank. Haven't lost a fish in ages and would like to keep it that way.Soooo I plan to remove the existing backing in situ next time I do a water change and go with the external background. Just wasn't sure if the external would look as realistic as the internal one. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Sigma Force

When I had a tank we just sellotaped the background onto the back of the outside and it looked fine, sellotape is clear so don't notice it worked grand.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,563 ✭✭✭Fingers Mcginty

Fishyfreak wrote: »
    Tec7 silicone is aquarium safe and can be used underwater but it's very messy to do.

The 3-d textured backgrounds give a great effect but they are expensive and take up room (Rekord 70 is small enough as it is!!)

Painting it is a good option, i've seen it done very well by a few people.

If you need any info or help get onto the Leinster Fishkeeping Society forum, loads of friendly advice www.irishfishforum.com

Just saw this slimline (10mm thick) stuff from "Back to nature"...
    Here

Looks real nice but unfortunately a tank drain would be on the cards. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,079 ✭✭✭dancingqueen

I think painting is your best bet - decorate your tank with more nature and add plants for effect. It gives a better overall effect.

My boyfriend has his painted at the back, just black high gloss paint. Better to do it on an empty tank however, with fumes.

Personally I just find backgrounds tacky and they remind me of Chinese takeaways

Advertisement