Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

frozen pipes

Options
  • 27-12-2009 6:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 48,244 ✭✭✭✭

live in Kiltullagh region pipes frozen since xmas morning. just wondering if many others in same situation or if anyone had heard if its maybe a problem at pumping station??

Comments

Anyone else in Gort without water? We have no mains water coming into the house. The mains supply in the kitchen tap stopped early last week and now we have no water at all.

We were away over Christmas Day and yesterday and came back today to running water again so we thought we assumed it had thawed out and all was back to normal. Now it's ran out again and because of the thaw don't think it's from frozen pipes.

We're on the town mains supply although we're quite rural and on the edge of town so starting to think it's the town supply that affected and not because of frozen pipes to the house. Why would it fill the tank back up again while we were away only to run out again tonight? Going to call the County Council in the morning but very confused! :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 48,244 ✭✭✭✭km79

i just spotted on g bay fm website that mains pressure is low on mid west supply scheme due to people running taps to prevent pipes freezing this has left many households (me???) without water

• Registered Users Posts: 609 ✭✭✭mossfort

km79 wrote: »
    live in Kiltullagh region pipes frozen since xmas morning. just wondering if many others in same situation or if anyone had heard if its maybe a problem at pumping station??
    yes a lot of people have this problem.
    if your mains pipe isnt buried deep enough you will have problems.
    if theres frost forecast best to leave your tap trickling overnight .

Saw the GBFM news article on the water shortage but not sure if Gort is related to that. Hmmm... will have to wait and see what happens tomorrow. Mind you because of the nice brown mains water here in Gort we already have a huge stash of bottled water so blessing in disguise an all that! Hope your water is back soon!

smae as that boil water notice since november but still be nice to shower, flush the toilet and wash the auld dishes:p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭nifheorais

Parts of Galway City has no water too.Bohermore and Shantalla affected.Any other areasin city affected? Council are not helping at all.

Well woke up this morning to thick layer of frost everywhere and water coming out taps! Seems to be completely random here and not related to freezing weather. Maybe they're finally upgrading the water treatment plant as promised. I can live in hope! :rolleyes:

still nothing happening here getting worried now most people got it back at this stage by sounds of things? checked inside and out for signs of leaks none evident

Okay, this is starting to get ridiculous - water gone off again. Had full pressure supply direct from the mains pipe for 1 day and now it's completely gone again. Tried calling GCC water department all afternoon and phone just ringing off the hook. Have no idea what to do now!!! :mad:

Just called GCC emergency phone number and looks like they're all on holiday - just went to answer machine so left a message. No idea what to do if water doesn't come back on and can't get any contact with GCC water services.

Have checked all around house, no burst pipes at all. It seems to be a broken service as get full pressure from mains one day and nothing the next.

Just want to know if there's work being done in the area that would mean the supply was interupted. Surely if it was a burst pipe it would be a trickle of a supply we'd get? Very confusing and starting to get very annoying now! :(

• Advertisement

I heard someone (from Mayo) saying that they had a meter put in a while ago and that this froze rather than the pipes.

They didn't have the problem before.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,568 ✭✭✭ethernet

Have noticed a drop in pressure but lucky no freezing. However, the neighbour's pipe did freeze.

still not a drop:(

Our mains service is back again and I'm wondering if we have the same problem as the mid west with the pressure dropping. It comes back on, takes a while for the pressure to build up - runs fine for half a day then drops and stops completely again. It's very odd. May be the same for you KM79 - just not enough pressure to get the supply near your house?

I wish the Council would just issue some kind of statement, advice, helpline or information as it's the not knowing and getting no contact with them that's driving me nuts!

I'm just waiting for the water charges to be introduced here in Gort - that'll be a laugh - at least the brown water was OK for flushing the loo.

still nothing going to have to move into brothers soon if nothing changes:mad:

@KM79 - It sounds like you might have a burst pipe underground if you have nothing back by now - if the mains pipe isn't buried deep enough it could have frozen and burst. Do you have neighbours near you with water supply? Have you tried ringing the Council emergency number (091509309)? Not that they'll answer but you can leave a message and at least hope!

Have you had a plumber out at all? It sounds like at this stage you'll need some intervention. If it's a burst pipe within your boundary there's not a lot you can get the council to do as they'll drag their heels that you need to sort it yourself but if it's outwith your land then it's their responsibility.

The only thing I can suggest is just bombard them with messages. Ours is back on for now but I'm not expecting it to stay!

yeah at this stage im afraid it is a burst pipe too but would i not see the water surfacing somewhere if this was the case?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31 PJaysus

@KM79 - I live in Athenry, and have the same problem. No water coming into the mains. We were away over christmas, so since the water was not flowing through the pipes and the frost was so bad, I am assuming that it is just frozen pipes and that it will eventually thaw out. Thankfully heating is working though.

Neighbours are not affected, but since they were in the house over christmas and water was being used (maybe they did the dripping tap trick) I guess they escaped that way. I am just going to sit and hope for the best, the temprestures are still very low, so it might take a while to thaw out. If however you need the number of a good plumber (I hope I won't need him this time) you can message me.

Have a look throw some other posts here, which give some tips on thawing pipes / removing airlocks etc..I am not going to try them myself though, as I have a track record for making things worse. :rolleyes:

yeah im still hoping it is just frozen and not burst. the soil is rock solid over ewhere the mains pipe runs so it is a possibility

Have just found out that there are loads of burst mains pipes around our town so I think our problem is related to the town's water supply and lack of pressure. It's gone off again at the exact same time - seems to be when everyone get home from work and goes on again about midnight when they all go to bed again! All I can suggest is ask about and see if there's any similar problems in your area? Hoping you get it sorted soon! :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 711 ✭✭✭snuggles09

I'm in Waterford and have a thread in the Waterford City section.

My water went the day before christmas eve and it only came back last night at 4 am in the morning

I had no water, all my neighbours had and it turned out the problem is that my stop cock is only one foot under the ground while all my neighbours are 4 and 5 foot down..my pipes will have to be dug up again and layed deeper next week..have you tried pulling open the water hole outside your door and looking to see how far down it is?

all the neighbours water gone since around four dont know whats going no

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 Maria.smileym

Can anyone please help. I live in the country full of snow and havent been home for a week as I went to my mams for xmas, which meant no heating on at home. And now I'm home the oil wont work. We tried bleeding the burner out the back but we are sure that the oil pipes underground are frozen. Any ideas please we are all freezing here. Please help.

• Registered Users Posts: 136 ✭✭waterlesshouse

HI
    Im living in an estate in Oranmore Village and we have been without water since Tuesday 22nd December...
    I too have had no success in getting throught to GCC.
    Its very difficult over the festive period to be without water. I have two small children, my laundry is backing up, cant wash properly and dont even get me started on toilets.....
    Why does this country grind to a halt when there is a cold snap???

• Registered Users Posts: 711 ✭✭✭snuggles09

HI
    Im living in an estate in Oranmore Village and we have been without water since Tuesday 22nd December...
    Its very difficult over the festive period to be without water. I have two small children, my laundry is backing up, cant wash properly and dont even get me started on toilets.....

I feel your pain..only got mine back today since the 23rd of December..pain in the arse alright

HI

For flushing loo, we ran one of the gutter pipes from the roof into a bucket - was amazing how quickly it filled up so we've just been using that to flush the loo and using bottled water in kettle for washing. It's supposed to get colder again so I'm getting prepared by gathering mountains of bottled water just incase. We're also looking into some sort of rain water collection system as a back up as looks like GCC water supply just isn't reliable enough.

Hoping everyone returns to some sort of normality soon. :)

still gone nearly all the neighbours have theirs back . rang council today their advice was to give it another day as they have their "men on the ground" out today:rolleyes: if its not back tomorrow i will have to assume the mains pipe is burst underground. where do i go from there ? is it up to me to find the break and fix it or is it the council?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31 PJaysus

I too still have no water, one of my neighbours is also without water.
    I checked the council website and found the following notices. If you are experiencing water trouble read this first, then contact the council if you have more questions, their number is at the end for the water services section.

http://www.galway.ie/en/Water%20Supply%20Disruptions%2030-12-09.pdf

Once you do get your water back, pay attention to the following notice. There is a boil notice on the mid-galway water supply since 18 Dec (this is the first i heard of it). The map below will show you which areas are affected.

http://www.galway.ie/en/Services/WaterServices/PublicNotices/mid%20galway.pdf

Thankfully I have great neighbours who are helping me out. If anyone is badly stuck and in an estate, I would suggest just knocking on some doors, and just asking for help. Also, get on to the council (see the first document for the water services number). They won't do anything unless enough of us let them know that we have problems.

Thanks PJaysus! Looked all over their website and couldn't find anything so thanks for posting - my area is listed as having disrupted supply so that at least explains things. KM79 - hope you have supply returning soon.

• Advertisement

after a game of pass the parcel with various council workers/secretaries the only advice i was given was to sit tight for another few days as the pipe is still frozen probably and on top of that all water in my are is now gone. Wow thanks for the help!!!! a week without water now and no solution in sight

Advertisement