Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

frozen pipes

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 285 ✭✭marauder

KM79, Im in kiltullagh area too and have been without water for the past few days. was away over christmas so not sure when it actually went off.
    what scheme are you on?

• Registered Users Posts: 48,244 ✭✭✭✭km79

mid galway scheme no water since xmas morning neighbours came and went but everyones gone since last weds

neighbours water bsck again last night still nothing

• Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭bethm

nifheorais wrote: »
    Parts of Galway City has no water too.Bohermore and Shantalla affected.Any other areasin city affected? Council are not helping at all.
    Salathill just up from prom no water today 3.1.10 and none on Christmas day.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,412 ✭✭✭toadfly

HI
    Im living in an estate in Oranmore Village and we have been without water since Tuesday 22nd December...
    I too have had no success in getting throught to GCC.
    Its very difficult over the festive period to be without water. I have two small children, my laundry is backing up, cant wash properly and dont even get me started on toilets.....
    Why does this country grind to a halt when there is a cold snap???

I'm in Oranmore as well - Oranhill to be precise! - came back to galway 29th no water, had it then the 1st for about 20 hours and gone since. going to crack up. house attached to us has water but they have been there all over xmas. got water off friends for toilets and bought loads of bottled for drinking but trying to wash the dishes is a nightmare. luckily we have a gym nearly so showering is fine. patience is wearing thin!

• Advertisement

council just informed me that its nothing to do with them they just supply the water on the group scheme!!! they also said it is still probably frozen pipes

• Registered Users Posts: 3,236 ✭✭✭Dr. Kenneth Noisewater

TillyGirl wrote: »
    I'm in Oranmore as well - Oranhill to be precise! - came back to galway 29th no water, had it then the 1st for about 20 hours and gone since. going to crack up. house attached to us has water but they have been there all over xmas. got water off friends for toilets and bought loads of bottled for drinking but trying to wash the dishes is a nightmare. luckily we have a gym nearly so showering is fine. patience is wearing thin!

I live in Oranmore aswell, Abhainn na Ri on the Dublin Road, and I was here 28th & 29th, water was fine, came back again last night (the house was empty for the intervening period) and there have been no problems so I dunno, it has to be individual frozen pipes in your own houses :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 9,900 ✭✭✭InTheTrees

My sister in connemara gets her water from a lake and the pipes been frozen for two weeks.

How long is the cold spell going to last? I looked at the forecast and they said maybe another week??

deccurley wrote: »
    I live in Oranmore aswell, Abhainn na Ri on the Dublin Road, and I was here 28th & 29th, water was fine, came back again last night (the house was empty for the intervening period) and there have been no problems so I dunno, it has to be individual frozen pipes in your own houses :confused:

I dunno whats going on gonna ring the council today, have been putting this off cos I know they will just pi$$ me off with excuses. was over at the carwash behind supervalu last night looking for an outdoor tap we cud get water from and the water had been left running all night, guessing to stop the pipes freezing?? madness, a carwash isnt essential, running water in a house is! :mad::mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 33 Ithaca

I dunno whats going on gonna ring the council today, have been putting this off cos I know they will just pi$$ me off with excuses. was over at the carwash behind supervalu last night looking for an outdoor tap we cud get water from and the water had been left running all night, guessing to stop the pipes freezing?? madness, a carwash isnt essential, running water in a house is! :mad::mad:

I know it's very frustrating to have no water, I'm in the same position. But it really isn't the council's responsibility if a pipe in your house or coming into your house is frozen. There is nothing they or a plumber can do but wait for a thaw.

• Advertisement

going to be at least another week before any type of thaw ..... thats a long time:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 33 Ithaca

Does anyone know how safe it is to run central heating when your mains water is gone and your main backup tank in the attic is drained?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31 PJaysus

I am not an expert, so don't know what you mean by back-up tank. But read the post below. If that makes no sense then ring the plumber to just ask for advice.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055776839

• Registered Users Posts: 3,035 ✭✭✭redsteveireland

Ithaca wrote: »
    Does anyone know how safe it is to run central heating when your mains water is gone and your main backup tank in the attic is drained?
    not a good idea.
    sorry, just read the link. obviously I was misinformed, and freezing

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

It's probably the attic expansion tank.
    This is the tank that fills from mains and then supplies toilets, showers and taps around the house.
    I'm not sure whether it also supplies the radiators, but if they are empty you can't use central heating.

Mind, houses/systems are different so either follow the pipes around the house and figure out where they go and what they do, or get a plumber to do it for you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 481 ✭✭coldwood92

mine are frozen as well for 3rd time!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 30 zexstream

Hi I live Williamstown/ballymoe area. I have had now water since Christmas Eve, Iam really getting mad ive children so I really need water.
    Ive put warm water on the tap on the road hot towels. What else can I do?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭civis_liberalis

Pipes finally froze at the house in Carraroe yesterday.

Am bracing myself for the long-haul...

We've had intermittent water supply for about 3 weeks now, have resigned self to just enjoing supply when we have it now.

Came on today about 3pm after 3 days of no water at all so have spent the last few hours having a laundry/dishes and shower party while it lasts... the joy!!! :D

I cant take much more of this. nearly 2 weeks and not a drop.:mad:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭pinc

I'm hearing the tip-tap of rain /thawing trees on my roof right now!!
    So, are we back to floods or is it going to start freezing again in a minute?!
    I've no running water for 2 wks,no heat or cooker as gas pipes burst and damn near blew us to kingdom come.I'm living like a cavewoman.
    Bring on Summer and the predicted drought!!

at this stage i have adapted to having no running water and have enough bottled to survive a world war:D i actually am afraid of "the thaw" now for fear of floods oustide and in!

after 3 weeks it has returned

lucky you! :D

16 days and counting!

dont give up hope id say today or tomorrow given the rise in temp

• Registered Users Posts: 609 ✭✭✭mossfort

lucky you! :D

16 days and counting!
    if it hasnt thawed by now i would check to make sure you dont have a burst pipe.
    just turn off all your taps and go out and look at your meter and if its spinning you have a leak.

Advertisement