Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

cat just back from cattery.

Options
  • 27-12-2009 6:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,068 ✭✭✭

went and collected my cat from a cattery today, he had been in there for 8nights as we were away over christmas...
    it was a bit of a long drive home and he seemed a bit freaked in the car, as most cats do i suppose..
    he had an episode of completely liquid stool not long after we got in the door - in his litter tray, i assumed he was just a bit nervous after the drive..
    i have given him only dry food and he's eaten a good bit and been drinking water and just now he's had another episode - again in his litter tray, been home about 4hours now.

should i be concerned? he seems in good form, running around and perfectly happy...

thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,957 ✭✭✭Magenta

Did you have the option of providing his food before you left or do they have their own supply of food? They might have given him different food to what he is used to which can cause the runs.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,712 ✭✭✭lorebringer

Your cat may have just a minor infection - I'm presuming this cat is an adult - and should be fine after a few days. Kennels and catteries are heaven for bugs to spread in and some animals can pick up things in even the cleanest places. Do not feed your cat for 24 hours (do not restrict water), keep him inside for the same period and feed bland food for the few days after the starve - this should fix your cat right up! If he gets lethargic or out of sorts and still has dodgy poo, particularly is it is very foul smelling, starts to vomit or if this goes on for a good few days he may need a trip to the vet to make sure it isn't anything serious (or, I should say, more serious... he may need an antibiotic or something). I wouldn't worry too much if the cat is in good form and generally seems to be himself. Hopefully, this will only last a day or two and he will be fighting fit in no time!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,068 ✭✭✭tfak85

thanks so much guys, i will take his food bowl away... he is almost 6months old...is it still ok to restrict his diet?

he was fed on the food at the cattery, we didn't supply our own, lesson learned for next time!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Sigma Force

Yeh deffo no food for now and plenty of water, if you can get your hands one some Lectade and make up a solution and try and get the cat to drink some, for some reason our dogs love it when they've had it so the cat might like it too.

Could be stress, bug or change of diet or a combination of both but if after taking food away and giving Lectade the runs continue then a trip to the vets is in order. When starting back onto food something like boiled chicken and white rice mashed up together or a food from the vets to help.

Our animals usually get sick over a weekend or at some awkward time, so typical.

Just in case you feed milk avoid any milk, doubt the cattery gave the kitten regular milk but that can also be a cause for the runs.

Advertisement