Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Irish Multimarathon 2010 & Kids Mobile Marathon

• 27-12-2009 7:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 738 ✭✭✭

Just a note to alert you that the Irish Multimarathon in associatioin with Raheny Shamrocks has opened for 2010.

www.irishmultimarathon.com The date is the 4th July.

Hopefully the weather will be a little more 'Irish' and less Rain Forest Mist on the day.

Entry fee is €30 and €60 for Relay team.

Everyone who enters will be in with a chance to Win Stena Line tickets

Kids mobile marathon is also open www.kidsmobilemarathon.com
    kids run 40km (suggest - 5km per week for 8wks) in advance of finishing the 2.1km in Clontarf - all details on website

Hope to see you in 2010

Rate this race based on, Scenery, PB potential, Atmosphere, Value, Organisation 25 votes

5 stars (excellent)
    0%
    4 stars (good)
    12%
    christebJacky08Ath36 3 votes
    3 stars (average)
    40%
    DublinDilbertFifilefleureelvis jonestunguskaMisterDrakPVincentkciaranVan.BoschbpollardTullyBobCat 10 votes
    2 star (poor)
    20%
    estariolcabhogfoleyalanPatdusty2010agimcgale 5 votes
    1 star (terrible)
    28%
    Donny5Oisin11178big mcesarsfieldsrockCapricawgtomblinW1977 7 votes

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

I dunno, the rainforest mist was kinda cool... apart from it making things awkward on the beach section!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,366 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

Would love to do it this year. Depends on other races though as I'm already doing half of Ireland marathons and halfs next year.

• Registered Users Posts: 738 ✭✭✭eoin ryan

Would love to do it this year. Depends on other races though as I'm already doing half of Ireland marathons and halfs next year.

Yea - fair play to you. I see your name popping up on a lot of treads... Well done. Are you a runaholic...?:)
    Are we all runaholics......???! Hands up

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 960 ✭✭✭Blueskye

What's the course like for the marathon?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,145 ✭✭✭baza1976

was about to post same as above. I son't see anything about a marathon on th site. Just mentions half marathon.

If there is no marathon why is it called multimarathon. If there is a marathon I'll warm up my humble pie

• Advertisement

The marathon is starting in 2011.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 960 ✭✭✭Blueskye

Ah ok.

Admittedly it is a little confusing. :o

I guess we can still be 'multi' due to having the Kids, Half Marathon & Half Marathon Relay on at the same time.

We'll see for 2011 if the full marathon is a goer... Very hard to gauge interest out there. Maybe ppl might let me know. Much appreciated

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 241 ✭✭longford76

I did the half in 2009 and thought it was a great event.

I really looked forward to another full marathon close to home in 2010 so I was disappointed to see it had been pushed back to 2011.

I think there would be many that would be keen on the full in 2010 if it was an option. To compare it to Connemara where the numbers in the full were relatively small compared to the half in the early years and have now grown quite significantly to have a decent turn out in it's own right.

Definitely a vote here for reconsidering a full for 2010 and definitely a full for 2011.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,339 ✭✭✭How Strange

Will there be more water stations at the 2010 half marathon? I know the weather played a big part in it but I was dangerously dehydrated near the end. I think there were only 2 water stations last year with the last one being around 8 miles.

Also, running on the sand for the second lap was excrutiating. It was far too soft at that stage and I nearly fell over a few times with a combination of exhaustion and dehydration.

I'd definitely say it was the toughest half I've ever done out of the 5 I've completed.

Sunburnt, exhausted, dehydrated and later slightly delirious! I just might give it another go in 2010. :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,435 ✭✭✭christeb

4 stars (good)
    I'll certainly be doing the half again in 2010.

@eoin: a quick note Re: a possible marathon. I don't think 4 trips on "Dollyer" would be attractive in a marathon to many if this is the route you'd be taking for the full (ie 2 x the half). Many people are fighting tight margins for target times, and the sand would not be a positive factor in this respect.

Will there be more water stations at the 2010 half marathon? I know the weather played a big part in it but I was dangerously dehydrated near the end. I think there were only 2 water stations last year with the last one being around 8 miles.

There were 3 x water stations on the course at KM 6.2, KM 10 and KM 13.8 (and finish line). It was a ridiculously hot day. I will see if we are allowed to relocate for 2010.

"Also, running on the sand for the second lap was excrutiating. It was far too soft at that stage and I nearly fell over a few times with a combination of exhaustion and dehydration".

This was the flip side of the mist and not being able to see 3 metres in front of you. I put the km markers out in the best position early that day for people to follow. They couldn't be followed due to poor visability. I did see some running on the softer sand at the tail end.
    Its highly unlikely that we'll get that weather again but i'll bring some white poles just in case to keep ppl on track.

Would it be worth putting a couple of extra marshals on the sand section to help keep people on the straight and narrow?

T'wod :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,197 ✭✭✭elvis jones

3 stars (average)
    Hmmmm

Nice time of year for a half marathon. I think i might go for this one.

When does registration close ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,496 ✭✭✭Oisin11178

1 star (terrible)
    yeah i cant recommend this event enough. Course is very flat and although the sand is a challange the variety is brilliant. After this race last year the coast between sutton and clontarf became my main training route and i havnt looked back. Weather was faboulous last year as well:)

Hmmmm

Nice time of year for a half marathon. I think i might go for this one.

When does registration close ?

Cool. We'll close it up at least one week before. Must put a date on it

tungusta - your question never appeared on the system. Weird! :eek:

Results attached

Must put them back on website

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

eoin ryan wrote: »
    Yea - fair play to you. I see your name popping up on a lot of treads... Well done. Are you a runaholic...?:)
    Are we all runaholics......???! Hands up
    My name is Oryx and Im a runaholic. I did this last year, the heat nearly killed me. :) I have the strawberry half a week before it and a tri two weeks after, but sure, might sign up for this too. Whats the cutoff date?

Must do this this year actually if I'm not doing Portumna...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,545 ✭✭✭tunguska

3 stars (average)
    tungusta - your question never appeared on the system. Weird! :eek:

Results attached

Must put them back on website

Thanks Eoin.

FYI - closing date is 30th June at midnight ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 26 expato

Just got a mail about this race and entries are low. Get off yer arses and sign up. Its a great race. Great craic and for us northsiders its a doorstep run. To sign up on the day I presume presents problems for organisers (t shirts etc. Mind you last years T shirt was poor) Sign up... Sign up hopefully its cooler than last year and the t shirt is better!!!!

3 stars (average)
    expato wrote: »
    Just got a mail about this race and entries are low. Get off yer arses and sign up. Its a great race. Great craic and for us northsiders its a doorstep run. To sign up on the day I presume presents problems for organisers (t shirts etc. Mind you last years T shirt was poor) Sign up... Sign up hopefully its cooler than last year and the t shirt is better!!!!

+1. Good race, different than the standard fair what with the segments on sand and all. I think the reason why the numbers are low is because addidas 5 miler is just 2 weeks later. Maybe for most it would be a bit much doing a half and then a 5 miler so soon after.
    I'm defintely in, need to sort out that shocking time from last year. Although as expato said, hopefully this time round things wont be so warm.

expato wrote: »

Thanks Expato...
    The tops this year are high quality training tops. I'm beginning to have Race Directors remorse on changing from T-shirts based on entry... But thats the way it goes.

Another two bits of info:
    1) Everyone who signs up gets a 1 week free pass for West Wood club in Clontarf. Real good plunge pool for those tired running muscles amongst other things

2) Cuisine de France have come onboard and will have some free Muffins. I'm working on an idea to tie this in with another gang. Let ye know

Its a juggle to get the right amount of tops so if you are considering entering pls consider doing it soon or they won't all be printed or perhaps in your size.... Its an educated guess to get it right :P

All for €30 yo yo's - plus the other stuff

2) Cuisine de France have come onboard and will have some free Muffins. I'm working on an idea to tie this in with another gang. Let ye know
    Sold. :pac::p

Eoin is you give us a lift I'll take part. :pac:

I always assume that eireman jeep I run and cycle past numerous times a day belongs to yourself?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 576 ✭✭✭sarsfieldsrock

1 star (terrible)
    Okay. I'm in for this. Might even try it in the Vibrams with the sand and the grass that can be run on.
    Passed a guy at mile 25 in the Cork marathon and he was doing the whole thing in em. He reckoned that he was fine at that point but it would be interesting to see what his feet were like the day after.

Eoin is you give us a lift I'll take part. :pac:

I always assume that eireman jeep I run and cycle past numerous times a day belongs to yourself?

hi,

yea thats me alright. Drop in for a cuppa sometime...

No prob giving you a lift but I leave at 2am to start setting up the course!! You any good at throwing out traffic cones??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 810 ✭✭✭liamo123

Eoin v interested in doing half marathon..just wondering if there's parking near start/finish line... tks in advance

Hi Liamo,

last year ppl parked along the Alfie Byrne road right beside the start finish. There is also the Dart station car park nearby and another car park beside/ near the Dart.

E

hi,

yea thats me alright. Drop in for a cuppa sometime...

No prob giving you a lift but I leave at 2am to start setting up the course!! You any good at throwing out traffic cones??

2am? :eek:

Was so tempted to knock in tonight and say 'Hi, I'm RacoonQueen' :pac:

3 stars (average)
    Hi Eoin,
    You mentioned that you'd be taking entries on the day of the race. Just wondering what the cost will be?
    Thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,197 ✭✭✭elvis jones

3 stars (average)
    Just wondering how many water stops along the way ?

There were 2 last year (but you passed one twice due to the out and back course), if I remember correctly.

• Advertisement

There were 2 last year (but you passed one twice due to the out and back course), if I remember correctly.
    And eoin, if its as hot as last year, please keep lots of water for the finish. You ran out last year, I think because a lot of it was going over runners heads as well as down their gobs. :D

Still havent decided on this one, because of the other stuff Ive on. Might be nice for a training trot though.

Oryx wrote: »
    Still havent decided on this one, because of the other stuff Ive on. Might be nice for a training trot though.
    That's pretty much what I was thinking too, nice to get a bit of a change of scenery and a 13.1 mile LSR fits in quite well around that time for me. :)

That's pretty much what I was thinking too, nice to get a bit of a change of scenery and a 13.1 mile LSR fits in quite well around that time for me. :)

Hopefully there are more on the same page as you.... :)

In terms of water. Yes, unfort there was a 10min period when we ran out. Then I got more (i couldn't get back in the traffic quick enough). It was due to all those reasons mentioned and moreso due to a lot of ppl drinking the finishers water b4 we started. I had to stand guard over it to stop ppl taking any more. Real popular job that was.... Not!! :o

Entry on the day will be €32. So its no advantage or disadvantage to do the online registration.... I should have made it €35 but its too late now and i didn't say that when i announced it.

2am? :eek:

Was so tempted to knock in tonight and say 'Hi, I'm RacoonQueen' :pac:

Call in by all means. The pot is always on. And i want to pick your brains about something... :cool: (better get the good biscuits)

Eoin, if the teeshirts are the same as the ones for the Wexford Half, they are massive sizes. So order more small sizes. :)

• Advertisement

Thanks! Thats very helpful.
    Just to clarify...
    Do you mean last years t-shirts
    or this years Red training tops ?
    Cheers
    E

Oryx wrote: »
    order more small sizes. :)

Good advice for most race organisers in general, particularly for races involving a lot of women. :)

Thanks! Thats very helpful.
    Just to clarify...
    Do you mean last years t-shirts
    or this years Red training tops ?
    Cheers
    E
    The red ones from this year. You'd run out of small by the time I registered (they ran out really quickly) and I got a medium which will still fit me if I ever put on four stone. :)

Call in by all means. The pot is always on. And i want to pick your brains about something... :cool: (better get the good biscuits)

hmmm now I'm intrigued. Still trying to decide between this and doing the marathon with the 32 marathons guys in the phoenix park.

• Registered Users Posts: 399 ✭✭ElectraX

Planning on entering this half marathon, but just wondering how long the sand section is and did people find it threw them off pace?

hi,

I guess i'm best placed to answer the first part of your question...
    Its out an back so in total its 4.4km on the hard sand. Its the same hard sand that the Business Houses run a race on.

I will say its hard to definitively answer the second part of your question as you could only see about 5 metres ahead of you due to the 'Scooby Doo' type mist/fog that we had on the beach!! Never seen the likes of it b4 or since :pac:

The only part of the beach run thats offputting is getting on and off through the softer stuff. The hard sand is lovely to run on. But the mist was the weirdest thing ever last year, and it did make that stage feel endless. But otherwise it shouldnt affect your pace, imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 399 ✭✭ElectraX

Thanks, if most of the sand is hard,it shouldn't be a problem to run on:)Nice that there is a bit of variation in the run too.Just need to enter now!

• Registered Users Posts: 243 ✭✭foleyalan

2 star (poor)
    Anybody know what time race this starts at? :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭Ath36

4 stars (good)
    Starts at 11am. Just entered myself.

• Advertisement
Advertisement