Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Irish Multimarathon 2010 & Kids Mobile Marathon

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,545 ✭✭✭tunguska

3 stars (average)
    Weather doesnt look too good for tomorrow. Dont mind the rain so much, its the wind that'll be a bitch, especially in an exposed location like clontarf.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,197 ✭✭✭elvis jones

3 stars (average)
    tunguska wrote: »
    Weather doesnt look too good for tomorrow. Dont mind the rain so much, its the wind that'll be a bitch, especially in an exposed location like clontarf.

If it keeps my bosy temp down it might be a worth while trade off (might )

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 413 ✭✭Tipsygypsy

Best of luck to all heading out to this today, hope yer weather is better on the east coast than the mental storm we're having in the west. I believe the first post on this thread was looking for 'irish weather' - can't get more Irish than this!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,435 ✭✭✭christeb

4 stars (good)
    Just back from a run along the coast, advice to all (especially first timers) - go easy on the way out as that wind will make the 2nd half very tough indeed.

Good luck to all running, I'll be down to steward later.

• Registered Users Posts: 883 ✭✭✭Caprica

1 star (terrible)
    What did everyone think of this race? I think it was the toughest race I have done. The conditions on the journey back were extremely tough, it felt like a gael force wind in your face. The beach stretch was very tough, a stong wind with the sand constantly in your face.

I was hoping for a PB of around 85 mins but got home in a struggle at the end in 94mins. Up to mile 9 I was on track but once I hit the beach section it got tough. I pushed a bit to hard on the sand to close up on the lads in front of me but at the end of the section I had nothing left. On the bridge coming back it was difficult to run in a straigh line the wind kept blowing you of track.

My mile splits from 9 onwards were
    8:25
    8:56
    8:30
    8:47

First 10k was 40mins, the next 10k was 48mins.

On the organisation front, the registration was a disaster. I got there for 10am and pro got my number at 10:45am. I think there was a problem with the timing chips, we were then told the race would start only after every one register, but I only made it to the start by a few minutes and we were of.

They started the race without the Lord Mayor who we encountered around the 1 mile mark with his chains of Office and starters gun telling us he was told it was an 11:30am start.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,496 ✭✭✭Oisin11178

1 star (terrible)
    Yeah registration was pretty bad.
    I can echo what caprica says about the weather. I was running with a mate and well within myself but found the last 4 miles the hardest Ive ever run. Loose sand, horrific wind, plus sand im my eyes.
    Also dire medal:-(

• Registered Users Posts: 399 ✭✭estariol

2 star (poor)
    Bit harsh! agreed the registration was a shambles, but the rest (marshalling, water stops etc.) was fine! A technical t-shirt, big improvement on last year and one I'll actually use so will help with the races profile.
    This course is always gonna depend on conditions, last year was humid and foggy, this yr a mild sand storm!
    Cheers Eoin, I know these things aren't east to put together. Maybe next yr the weather will cooperate.

• Registered Users Posts: 26 expato

Get over it. I registered at 9.30 was grand no queue. Yes the weather was tough and the beach was (horror of horrors) sandy. Come on... find a treadmill if you dont like the push and shove of racing. Cheers to all stewards and organisers.

1 star (terrible)
    No one as far as i can see is blaming the organisers on the weather. Fact is the organisation was poor. People will build a bridge but in the meanwhile they have a right to express their opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭kandikane

I got injured after 10 miles had a niggle in my groin but the soft sand was the final straw,had to limp the last 3 miles as not one marshall came to my aid to see if i needed medical attention and thanks to a few runners that stopped to see if i was ok i would have been left for dead,thank god there was nothing to serious that happened,cause the person would have been well dead,as far as im concerned the organisers could not have organised a good ****e,very pissed off:mad:

• Advertisement

kandikane wrote: »
    I got injured after 10 miles had a niggle in my groin but the soft sand was the final straw,had to limp the last 3 miles as not one marshall came to my aid to see if i needed medical attention and thanks to a few runners that stopped to see if i was ok i would have been left for dead,thank god there was nothing to serious that happened,cause the person would have been well dead,as far as im concerned the organisers could not have organised a good ****e,very pissed off:mad:

ah now here.... a niggle in the groin and noone jumped to assistance thats just shocking........Shame on those marshalls......

• Registered Users Posts: 13 murrayeo

Registration was a bit chaotic,anxiety all around as people trying to get numbers before 11. All numbers on one desk is not the way to go. There was plenty of room in westwood, like other races, split the numbers (1-100,101-200 etc) into a number of tables depending on the number entered. I turned up just after 10 too,was a bit frustrating but I was not getting upset about it. Should be a separate table for those registering on the day. Having 1 guy on a laptop was a bit odd. I have helped out in races before and its not the easiest, there are a lot of logistics. Not Eoin's fault that majority turn up about an hour before start.

Start was a bit of a farce too, Lord Mayor about 800m away, we had just come back from a warm up jog having seen him, I had to drop bag and had about half a minute before we were off, easily could have missed it. Funny passing the Lord mayor with the starting horn in his hand.

None of the above put me off, just things that could be improved.

Weather was mad (can't believe Eoin could not organise that bit properly:D), you have to adjust to the conditions, PB's were not on the menu today, I knew I would not be near mine.Turning off the beach onto the causeway and the last 4 miles were very tough. Got a bit lost on the way back up the beach as I had the head down fighting the sand and wind. I was nearly walking at one stage it was that bad.

My thanks to the organisers/marshalls and those out supporting etc, hard on them too, having to stand out in that weather for us. They cant leave their post and that downpour must have tested their mettle too.

Any sign of results, when can we expect them ?

I enjoyed the race, struggled through 2nd half, but so what. If its too easy, your not going to get that sense of achievement afterwards. It was a test of mental strength/endurance, shows you what your made of.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 576 ✭✭✭sarsfieldsrock

1 star (terrible)
    While the weather conditions cannot be planned the race organisers fell down badly with the race day organisation.
    They really should have had a separate line for race day registrations and for those who had registered before.
    What is the point of registering early if you then have to wait in a queue with people turning up on the day.
    Then at the start he put it back to 11:30 to accomadate the late arrivals; which is sending out the wrong signal for a start but lets leave it at that, but then started the race earlier than that.

The medal is the same as last years. Seems to be a fairly generic medal. I am always dubious where the medal does not have the name of the race or the year.
    Last years organisation was poor as well but you could forgive that for a first race. For the organisation to get worse is unforgivable however. When I compare it with the Kildare half, itself a first running this year, I can only rate this race very poorly. I don't think that I will be back next year as two years of poor organisation is not on.

• Registered Users Posts: 243 ✭✭foleyalan

2 star (poor)
    Holy sh1t that was a really hard race. Was hoping for a 1hr 30 but when i hit the beach i knew that would never happen. Went through half way at 45.17 and crawlled over the finish line 1 hour later. I found that race harder than the Dublin marathon last year! Organisation was poor alright.

Sorry to hear you race didnt go to well Ken. I saw you at the start and waited around for you at the end but thought i missed you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,857 ✭✭✭aero2k

A cracking run by tunguska to win in 1:22. Some of us on here might question his methods, but you can't argue with the results. He's made huge improvements in recent months.
    Oh, I believe he doesn't like the wind:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,545 ✭✭✭tunguska

3 stars (average)
    aero2k wrote: »
    A cracking run by tunguska to win in 1:22. Some of us on here might question his methods, but you can't argue with the results. He's made huge improvements in recent months.
    Oh, I believe he doesn't like the wind:)

After today I like the wind even less. Never again. On the beach(Neil young's best album)on the way back was horrendous, never experienced anything like it. Tough day at the office. To look at the time you'd think it wasn't the may west, but that wind was something else.
    Thanks to Eoin for organising the race.

Mod edit . Removing personal abuse

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 W1977

1 star (terrible)
    Hardest race I have run; certainly as half marathons go. The splits when I was not running into the wind compared to those I was tell the story.

Thanks to the marshalls, they did a cracking job in tough conditions.

However, the organisation was appalling; from registration to the finish line. I showed up seventy minutes early and it took half an hour to register. It would have been far more beneficial to not register in advance but rather just show up on the day and march to the top of the queue.

The finish was bizarre too; I could not see it on my run line until about eighty feet to go I spotted it way off to the right. At first I was not sure it was the finish gate until I saw the clock. I saw one poor sod take off past the finish leaving it behind him on the right until he was hollered at to turn around!

Medal was very poor again this year; I really don't care so much for medal but to get a generic medal with no race details on it except '10K' engraved on it is not worth the organisers' outlay on them. :(

Could be a crackin' event but efforts are required to significantly improve it. I doubt I'll be back.

While the weather conditions cannot be planned the race organisers fell down badly with the race day organisation.
    They really should have had a separate line for race day registrations and for those who had registered before.
    What is the point of registering early if you then have to wait in a queue with people turning up on the day.
    Then at the start he put it back to 11:30 to accomadate the late arrivals; which is sending out the wrong signal for a start but lets leave it at that, but then started the race earlier than that.

The medal is the same as last years. Seems to be a fairly generic medal. I am always dubious where the medal does not have the name of the race or the year.
    Last years organisation was poor as well but you could forgive that for a first race. For the organisation to get worse is unforgivable however. When I compare it with the Kildare half, itself a first running this year, I can only rate this race very poorly. I don't think that I will be back next year as two years of poor organisation is not on.
    your 100% right best part of the day was dinner in the pub

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20 agimcgale

2 star (poor)
    Well that was a tough way to spend a Sunday lunchtime !! Just got txt through for times and splits ... went out in 45mins and back in 50mins, I tell you what that 50 mins felt like a lifetime !!

Few things about the organisation, the race was started when there was clearly a few people still checking their bags into the baggage area ... at that stage people had waited the extra 10/15 mins so another few mins wouldn't have hurt. Also thats the first time I ever rememeber queuing so long to collect my number at any race but its not the end of the world just should be point number 1 to be improve for next yr.

All in all a tough test, thanks to the organisers for getting off their arses and organising this race for everyone ... something possibly people should keep in mind when they are sharing their criticisms.

Alan just as i came onto the soft sand on the way back as i was digging into get some motion as i was taking long steps got a shooting pain in my groin as you know i was grand last night was only a small niggle kept 7.30 pace up to the 9 miles 1 would have only come in about 1.45 very hard day for everyone.im after taking tablets for the inflamation,and pain killers,i was looking for you at the start could not see ya tho,well done anyway

1 star (terrible)
    Well down tunguska. Savage time in that weather.
    Expato if there ever wasnt a time for a sarcastic reply that was it. Deserved reply back from kandikane imo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 576 ✭✭✭sarsfieldsrock

1 star (terrible)
    agimcgale wrote: »

All in all a tough test, thanks to the organisers for getting off their arses and organising this race for everyone ... something possibly people should keep in mind when they are sharing their criticisms.

Without criticism then the errors will be perpetuated next year.

Also its not organised for free. Does the organiser not organise other races as well?

2 star (poor)
    Without criticism then the errors will be perpetuated next year.

Also its not organised for free. Does the organiser not organise other races as well?

Yeah that's true too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,827 ✭✭✭Donny5

1 star (terrible)
    expato wrote: »
    Get over it. I registered at 9.30 was grand no queue. Yes the weather was tough and the beach was (horror of horrors) sandy. Come on... find a treadmill if you dont like the push and shove of racing. Cheers to all stewards and organisers.

This is a feedback thread, with a poll to rate it and everything. You can't have a thread asking people what they thought of the run and then give out to them when they gives their thoughts on the run. That's not how feedback works. You're entitled to your opinion that it went well and kandikane is entitled to his or hers that it went badly.

I thought it wasn't well organised, but I'm not a serious runner so it didn't really affect me. Certainly, everyone was friendly and helpful, and there was a good atmosphere. I've never been a fan of doubling back or loops in routes, but today wasn't too bad. I wasn't mad about where the water stations were, but it probably suited faster runners.

The scenery was nice, so too was the sandstorm on the way back. I reckon if you were looking for a PB, it would have been a pisser, but it was a good laugh. I broke my PB for inhaling a kilo of sand through my nostrils, anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 534 ✭✭✭geld

Having picked up an injury I can imagine you bee pi**ed off. However if you didn't ask for help you you can't blame the marshals or the organiser. I am pretty sure if you had asked you would have received help. They are not mind readers and can't be blamed for not offering help.

In general this race had no interest for me as any time I have ever ran on that beach there was always a strong breeze. The wind must have been awful today so fair play to everyone who took part and finished.

geld wrote: »
    Having picked up an injury I can imagine you bee pi**ed off. However if you didn't ask for help you you can't blame the marshals or the organiser. I am pretty sure if you had asked you would have received help. They are not mind readers and can't be blamed for not offering help.

In general this race had no interest for me as any time I have ever ran on that beach there was always a strong breeze. The wind must have been awful today so fair play to everyone who took part and finished.

Well as far as i know the marshalls are the people who are ment to be looking after our health and safety,not just standing there like idiots,and i passed enough of them,after been in a que for 80m min to get my number that was the final straw,any other races that are well organised,there is some medics even around the course.Anyway it was an experience

Oisin11178 wrote: »
    Well down tunguska. Savage time in that weather.
    Expato if there ever wasnt a time for a sarcastic reply that was it. Deserved reply back from kandikane imo.

Its ok sure there there is always one idiot...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,435 ✭✭✭christeb

4 stars (good)

surely it's up to you to make the problem known to marshalls / first aid people? Also if it was that bad why didn't you drop out?

On a different note well done to tunguska - he looked strong the whole way through. You deserved that!

2 star (poor)
    http://www.redtagtiming.com/results/IrishMultimarathonProvisionalResults2010.pdf

Relatively chuffed with that time for my 2nd ever half marathon

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 399 ✭✭ElectraX

I arrived at 9.30 and found registration pretty quick and straightforward. Agree though that there should have been a seperate queue for people who had gone to the effort of registering online and those who decided to register this morning.Mayor no-show was a bit of a farce but didnt make any difference:rolleyes:Sandstorm and wind on the way back was a disaster tho.My splits for the second half are shockin! Full marks for the muffins back in Clontarf Castle...best part of the day:D There were clearly some organisational errors today, but no doubt Eoin will learn from them and take them on board for next year. Biggest problem with having registration on the day is u have no idea how many people will show up, and in this case the numbers were too big for the registration team to handle properly. Well done to Eoin for setting this event up, great to be able to travel 20 mins down the road and do a long run at race pace on a Sunday morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 10 TullyBobCat

3 stars (average)
    Wow... a lot of negativity after todays race! Maybe for serious runners it was disappointing. Sand storm was a nightmare but funny to look back on! Glad i'm not the only one who found it tough. Anyone any photos from the beach? Cheers to organisers and friendly encouragement from the marshalls. I'll be back next year and hoping for better weather ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 738 ✭✭✭eoin ryan

Hi Everyone,

I’ve read through the feedback from the race. Firstly can I say that was a tough tough day. You didn’t expect it that kind of weather– I didn’t expect it and certainly it wasn’t welcome. It turned into a challenge and well done to ppl who met it head on. Ppl would have had betting expectations of a better finishing time when starting off and the conditions completely scuppered that which is frustrating.
    I apologised that the Registration overran and I repeat that here again to the participants. No one likes when things don’t run smoothly least of all myself. I do think that the team did their very best to get you guys through. I was expecting two more ppl to help who cried off in the am and despite me trying to rouse mates I was unsuccessful. That put us on the back foot. And from what the guys tell me over 100 ppl entered on the day which was an additional quarter (numbers wise). That was unprecedented. And the guys told me that there were times when they had no one there early on suggesting that many came later on. So from 10am the queue started to build. I took a phone call to say the Q was increasing and we reacted straight away and sent someone down. All told to anyone who wasn’t there – it caused a 20min delay.
    I am embarrassed about the situation with the Lord Mayor. We spoke about it and understand where the crossed wires came into it.
    I’ll leave it there for now. I’ve a 17 hr shift done putting the course out and cleaning up so best if I sign out but wanted to make some acknowledgement. Thanks to some ppl who sent on suggestions for registration. The other laptop suggestions is 100% and was to be brought by one of my cry offs...

• Registered Users Posts: 262 ✭✭bewleys berry

seein as u say tunguska looked strong all the way through christeb, was that u on the bike who was with him most of the way around..........?? personally it made no diff to my race as i was as good as i was on the day but there are plenty of people who would frown on that coaching/supporting sort of thing!

Its ok sure there there is always one idiot...

Marshalls idiots, I'm an idiot ....................... i'm having a right laugh. Maybe it would be better if there were no races, no psychic marshalls and then we could all run away to our hearts content.

• Registered Users Posts: 399 ✭✭ElectraX

seein as u say tunguska looked strong all the way through christeb, was that u on the bike who was with him most of the way around..........?? personally it made no diff to my race as i was as good as i was on the day but there are plenty of people who would frown on that coaching/supporting sort of thing!

I wasn't far up enough in the pack to see anything, and maybe this isn't true but from what I've heard(from a reliable source), one of the leaders was being supported by someone on a bike, including getting water. Bad form if its true!

• Registered Users Posts: 399 ✭✭estariol

2 star (poor)
    Whats with the negativity, thanks Eoin appreciate the efforts you went to! and its all a learning process. Unprecedented numbers on the day is always gonna be troublesome, personally I enjoyed the day, hopefully there'll be more of the same and things will get better year on year!
    Here's to the 10k on the 25th!

1 star (terrible)
    What was the winning margin? The leader was way ahead after 11k as he passed me.

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭My Thoughts

Apart from the registration & late start, I thought it was a well organized affair, the conditions made it very tough but that could happen at any race, it was the flattest course I've run but the wind made sure it was by no means the fastest:(

• Registered Users Posts: 262 ✭✭bewleys berry

ah tunguska was by far the best runner on the day..sure he won by literally a mile, but definitely the use of someone on a bike would raise an eyebrow....on another note, apart from the registration delay, the rest of race was perfectly smooth..... plenty of stewards on the course to direct u and although i didn't go for the muffins after (had no idea where clontarf castle was lol), the shower in westwood was much appreciated.....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 243 ✭✭foleyalan

2 star (poor)
    Apart from the registration & late start, I thought it was a well organized affair, the conditions made it very tough but that could happen at any race, it was the flattest course I've run but the wind made sure it was by no means the fastest:(

+1

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭Stupid_Private

Pffft... forget about that wind - the glare off that sun made it impossible to get a decent photo!

4760558911_3f64e43b19.jpg

More photos from the race here...

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭Jacky08

4 stars (good)
    Have to say I'm well thrilled after completing my first half marathon - bit confused over the difference between race time and chip time?? so I either did it 1.40.37 or 1.41.05
    Thought the course was brilliant but obvioulsy the conditions on the beach were like something from a North African WWII movie - it was really unreal - kept thinking of the French Foreign Legion - it was areal test of endurance and I'm so glad I had the prep done though I did get cramp a little around the 19k mark so I had to stop and stretch out which probably lost me a minute...very sore last night and this morning but fair play to the organisers, yes there was a problem with registration and I got a blank t-shirt and the medal was wishy washy but hey we don't enter for the freebies really and I'm sure these things will be sorted for next year - I'll defo be keeping this date free next year - so fair play- thought it was excellent Eoin, really glad I done it -- and I'm still rubbing my eyes to get the sand out

• Registered Users Posts: 738 ✭✭✭eoin ryan

I re-read the posts again and obviously am noting the survey.
    Yesterday I posted and think i explained what happened in registration (in bad english) but it explains matters and i know how to address it.

I going to try and be pragmatic about the survey results and go through them. There is no real gain in this but maybe it’s worth doing

Its rated on five things:

1) Scenary - I'd say its 'good'
    2) PB Potential - I'd say its 'good' to 'excellent' (in normal circumstances of course. Bear in mind yesterday was an exceptional day) The 'potential' was out the window. We all know there are no hills so you can run on a steady heart rate.
    3)Atmosphere - It has been said that everyone who helped on the day was kind and courtious. There was great support from the locals on the route. Naturally atmosphere is going to be related to the next header
    4) Race Organisation. The buck stops with me here. Registration should not have been so and that was not how it was planned. I explained why it went wrong on that earlier post and I hope that sheds light on it (pls take the time to read it if you haven't done so). Focusing on the rest of the race..... I think it’s fair comment (I'm open to listening as always to constructive criticism) that all the things mentioned on post 78 (go back) were delivered upon. For the 20 or so ppl who didn't get a medal at the finish - I will post them out as soon as i can get a delivery. I have to do a forecast weeks in advance and going back to the 25% increase on the day registration it was unforeseen. The course was well marshalled and marked - things were in place as advertised. What mark do i give myself - I think average
    5) Value - It was €32. What did you get besides a really tough day on the course!! A half marathon and all that’s party to that, training top, (medal), tea / coffee and muffins in Clontarf, the 1 week pass for any of any of the 3 gyms and a shower. In the scheme of things I’d say that’s ‘good’

Nobody expected it to be such an awful day. Someone predicted rain – I was delighted with that.

That’s my take on it. Feel free to scrutinise if you like. This is not an attempt to be defensive – you are my customer/ boss/ shared interest person and I answer to you. I’m just giving my view

I will do something in the next few days that isn’t normally shared. I’ll put in diary of the last 3 days in race organisation. Just for interest – maybe you’d like to be an organiser and maybe you won’t upon reading it.

1 star (terrible)
    Ive trained down on the coast maybe 200 times and never come close to that kind of wind. Unlucky eoin. The thing with the orangpation at the start will stick in peoples minds and they will forget the good stuff. Thats human nature. Good luck with the 10k.

3 stars (average)
    Yesterday was my 1st half marathon and overall it went well for me.

I arrived early and had no problems with the que, but i did see the que grow and grow as i waited.

I made my way down to the start and did my warm up and waited for the start. It was hard to hear the breifing but the wind was sending Eoin's voice away from the crowd with the way he was standing.

I started fast and the wind on my back prob gave me a false split of 1:04 and it felt good to be honest.

On the way back i have honestly never ran in anything like that before, the wind was one thing but the sand was the killer. I couldn't see where i was going and it really slowed me down. I had to stop twice to clean out my mouth and eyes of sand.

I was blown sideways on the bridge on the way back and some couldnm't even walk with the gusts at times.

I made it back in 2:20 which was slow but ok considering the conditions on the day.

I was happy with the day and my main negative was the end line which had people everywhere. As i finished i had a sprint race wth a girl who was beside me for the final 2 miles. I came to the line and i child wandered into my path, i almost made bits of the poor thing and just about managed to stop. There was no barrier each side of the line to keep people away and it meant i actually stumbled over the line instead of getting over witj a smile in my face !!!!

The showers afterwards were very welcome and i used some of the relax facilities in westwood which helped me feel human again.

Overall a good day out and happy to say i have completed my 1st half marathon.

Also good to see the organiser taking problems on board and holding his hands up to the short comings on the day.

Well done to all, from 9 miles on it was like a scene from saving private ryan:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 cabhog

2 star (poor)
    It was my first proper race, and I thought it was all grand.

Went down to registration at 10 am-ish - hadn't pre-registered (so I presume I was the problem!), and there was a fair delay, but hey, nothing there to stress about overly in my view. Just a bit of queuing, but since I hadn't a clue what I should be at pre-race that saved me wasting plenty of nervous energy.

The race itself organisationally once it kicked off seemed perfectly good, plenty of stewards along the course. I'm not sure about the etiquette of running and stewarding, but from other sports, if you have a groin strain and need assistance - tell the people on the sideline. Don't expect them to read your mind.

The weather was horrendous - thought before the race that I would be good for about the 1.30 mark and kept plenty in the tank for the return leg. Lucky I did as the return along the beach was awful while coming in on the pier I was repeatedly blown off course - and I'm no slip of a lad! But was happy to end up with 1.40 in the end.

Since this is my first race, I now have a PB for the half-marathon. Just wondering, when I am now casually dropping that into conversation with other running types(!!!) do I use the race time or the chip time?

3 stars (average)
    Oh and did anyone else measure more than 13.1 miles ??? My Polar read 13.6 at the end and either i need to recalibrate or it was longer............

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43 Fifilefleure

3 stars (average)
    My experience of the race as a first time 1/2 marathon goer was good in general as a) I was freaking delighted to finish it through rain, sun, gale force winds & sand lol - it was def a hard won battle lol!!! b) The scenery, when you didn't have sand in your eyes, was beautiful and great views of the city.

The cons - got there early so had no problems registering - felt sorry for all the people in the queue so long as it doesn't help the nerves... It was abit confusing what to do next i.e. where the bag drop off was as we had asked the lady giving out the tags, who sent us to the front desk, who then sent us back to the registration desk to find out where it was... maybe a pre-team meeting in future would be helpful, before the registration opened so that everyone knew what was going on.

The stewards were great in places however I do know of horror stories of the walkers especially heading off for ages down the beach as they weren't expected back so quickly. It was also confusing in places getting down and up off the beach as to what sides of the tape you should be at as you were directed to diff sides at diff times.

The change to the finish line was very disconcerting as you were expecting it where you started from and it wasn't highlighted clearly or have a steward there to direct you to turn right as I counted at least 3 people run straight on past it.

The atmosphere was only okay (I'm a newbie to all this so I can only compare it to the Great Ireland Run). There was alot of uncertainty and a real sense of just hanging about - no excitement to start. The water at all the stage were much appreciated as were the bananas/ water and medal at the end. I would have been very annoyed to arrived at the finish and not receive a medal, so you can understand people's frustration there.

The weather was unbelievable though and well done to everyone for battling through it :) The course as you said Eoin would be on the best of the sand for running and I must from the bottom of my heart thank you for that :) Well done for organising it Eoin - it was def something very different to anything I could have imagined to run or even possibly completed. And it is quite different to other races out there. These were just some of my thoughts :):cool:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭lipi

I was a strong advocate of this race after running it last year but was very disappointed this year.

Having registered in advance I collected my number at 9am and there wasn't a sinner around. Most people leave these things to the last minute and even if there were no entries on the day, registration closing at 10.30 is cutting it fine. But entries on the day should have had to be there early - after all they had the priviledge of deciding last minute whether to enter or not.

When Eoin called everyone together before the start for the briefing I headed to the toilet and when I got out the race had started and I think I was the last person to start. Having been there so early I don't think that's on. Seeing as the race was late starting, he should have waited for a few minutes to ensure everyone was at the starting line and for the Lord Mayor to start it. We'd already waited a good 20 minutes, a few more would have made no difference. Not the ideal start to the race for me:(

I spotted Kandikane walking funny on the beach - sorry I didn't stop but it was only after the race talking to others that I realised you were injured and not just suffering in the wind like the rest of us. But I appreciate your frustration as there were no stewarts along the beach so there was no one to tell as there were very few from there to the end either. My husband was a spectator and he said he regretted not offering you a lift from the wooden bridge to the end as you looked so obviously bad.

Advertisement