Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Any non-denominational gaelscoileanna/meánscoileanna?

• 27-12-2009 7:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,023 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I'm absolutely certainly going to send my children to a gaelscoil and then a meánscoil. However, I do not want them to have anything to do with the Catholic Church ( or any other church). I don't want them learning religion, although ethics will be fine, etc. No prayers, or any of that nonsense.

I was always under the impression that the gaelscoileanna were non-denominational with no connection to the local bishop or priest. However, somebody has recently informed me that, as a result of a case in Dunboyne several years ago, now there are many Catholic gaelscoileanna.

I'm finding it hard to find the precise situation on the relationship between gaelscoileanna and religious institutions. Does anybody know the story on this?

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 2,503 Mod ✭✭✭✭dambarude

Well Foras na Pátrúnachta is non-denominational as far as I know. Check out this site.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,005 ✭✭✭✭Toto Wolfcastle

The secondary school religion curriculum teaches students about different religions rather than teaching prayers. It's an exam subject, more commonly in junior cycle, so the emphasis is on the theory of different religions rather than on prayers.

I went to an Irish-speaking secondary school and we had mass once or twice a day. There was a definite connection to the Catholic church. Religion was not an exam subject when I was in school and I had a very Catholic teacher so we had a lot of prayers but no one was forced to go to mass.

I know that doesn't really answer your question but I hope some of the information is of some help to you. Perhaps it would be a good idea to contact the schools you are interested in and find out their policy on religion.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,937 ✭✭✭implausible

Tbh, I don't know what your chances are of finding a school that doesn't offer Religion at all. Many schools offer it as an exam subject and in other schools it's only offered once a week and it covers all religions.

The most realistic option would be to ask the school if it's possible to have your children opt out of Religion classes in whatever school they go to.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,505 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

Every primary school in Ireland has some form of religious/ethical curriculum that they have to cover. There are many multi-denom Gaelscoileanna in the country. Gaelscoileanna were set up by parents and not by parishes. What part of the county are you in?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,595 ✭✭✭MathsManiac

dambarude wrote: »
    Well Foras na Pátrúnachta is non-denominational as far as I know. Check out this site.

They don't actually have any "non-denominational" schools. They have four categories: Catholic, Protestant, Inter-denominational and Multi-denominational.

The multidenominational ones are probably closest to what the OP wants. In the listing of schools on the site, it indicates which ethos of the four is involved.

There's no getting away from the fact that the Department of Education regulations require all primary schools to teach religion for a minimum amount of time each week, (not sure how much, but I think it might be 2 hrs 30 mins.) In the multi-denominational Gaelscoileanna, they don't teach any particular denominational stuff during this time. As it says for this category on their website: "No specific or denominational religion shall be taught during the official time laid down for the teaching of religion by the Department of Education and Science."

I'd suggest checking out the site, find the nearest multi-denominational Gaelscoil to you, and then talk to them before enrolling your children so that you know what the story is before they start.

• Advertisement
Advertisement