Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

What to do in a Skid?

• 27-12-2009 8:14pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭

*Roads are lethal tonight folks esp in the mid-west

Anyway i was just checking various websites about the correct procedure when you skid on ice.

The main thing i want to know is this...in a car if you have ABS brakes do you or do you not...brake hard.. when you go into a skid??

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭Lex Luthor

fryup wrote: »
    *Roads are lethal tonight folks esp in the mid-west

Anyway i was just checking various websites about the correct procedure when you skid on ice.

The main thing i want to know is this...in a car if you have ABS brakes do you or do you not...brake hard.. when you go into a skid??

I usually try to drive out of it, that way you have a bit more control over the wheels

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,429 ✭✭✭✭star-pants

ooh, quick question, if you're on a hill and you skid/car cuts out - braking makes this worse does it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

On treacherous roads any hard maneuvres should be avoided if at all possible. No hard braking, no sudden acceleration, no hard steering input.

At the first sign of things getting wobbly it usually helps to press the clutch, let go gas and brakes and through gentle steering try and get control back again. Avoid braking if possible and try gentle decelaration instead.

However, if it's already too late and you have to brake, then in a ABS car you might as well push the pedal through the floor and let the electronics do the thinking while you concentrate on possibly gently steering yourself out of harms way.

EDIT
    What lightning said ..but gently also is the buzzword for power application

Cheers!
    Twas just the other day I was going down a hill very very slowly, gently pressed the brakes as I was going over a ramp, skidded, car cut out and there I was continuing down the hill whilst restarting the car.
    Also my driveway is 45 degree angle (high point my house, low point the road), driveway had seemed ok as my dad had driven out a while earlier, I went to drive out, slowly letting off the brakes to crawl out (as there would be traffic/people) car just slid all the way out and to the kerb across the road, luckily noone coming. (driveway is well gritted now!). But judt I wasn't sure if hitting the brakes made things worse - now I know! :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,035 ✭✭✭✭Stark

Bail out.

• Advertisement

LIGHTNING wrote: »
    Well nobody was hurt so its all good! All you can do is, release the brakes let the front wheels start turning again and see if you can steer away from anything solid!
    Groovy - thank you! :)
    Just instinct gets you to hit the breaks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 79 ✭✭NLane

im sure a lot of people have seen this before but....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aUgcFiLA0_o

• Registered Users Posts: 2,782 ✭✭✭P.C.

NLane wrote: »
    im sure a lot of people have seen this before but....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aUgcFiLA0_o

I can't understand why the first car in that clip keeps accelerating. :confused::eek:

It is not going to help - in that situation you want the car to stop as soon as poosible, and then just leave it there and walk.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,800 ✭✭✭Senna

P.C. wrote: »
    I can't understand why the first car in that clip keeps accelerating. :confused::eek:

I'm guessing just a moron, but his/her thinking might have been to avoid the straight ahead road as it may have lead to a steeper hill or possibly end at a junction onto a very busy road.....or just a moron.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

Senna wrote: »
    I'm guessing just a moron, but his/her thinking might have been to avoid the straight ahead road as it may have lead to a steeper hill or possibly end at a junction onto a very busy road.....or just a moron.

Yeah i was thinking the same, it's hard to know how things looked further down, perhaps it got a lot steeper. I suppose they just panicked,

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,346 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

Deploy ejector seat.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 752 ✭✭✭JimmyCrackCorn!

Dont Panic!

Read what the car is doing and why then correct it.

Understeer at slow speeds dab of handbrake depending on severity

Oversteer use weight transfer

Front wheels locked up and not responding. Undo turn breaking action and get the rolling and responding again.

So basically it depends

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,857 ✭✭✭langdang

Dont Panic!

Read what the car is doing and why then correct it.
    So basically it depends

Jimmy is right here really. There's stock advice for different situations, but to be honest in an unexpected skid you won't be able to correct it unless
    a)you have a lot of time (several seconds) to react and recall and apply the advice you've been given
    or (better option)
    b)you've previously practiced pulling your car back in line from a hairy situation

I would suggest finding a safe place to practice a bit in the ice*!
    See how hard you in your own car can accelerate, turn, brake in a straight line, brake in a corner (answer - you can't, unless you've some super dooper electronic gadgets helping you).
    Using the handbrake on ice in an emergency is only likely to make things worse at anything over 10kph on bad ice(let's just say I was trying a few things today), but it will give you a chance to practice "steering into a skid" so that the back end doesn't overtake you. (be prepared for the car to swing the opposite way once you've corrected the initial skid)

It's all about smooth, and undoing whatever caused the problem in the first place. (if it was just too much speed then you're probably looking at damage limitation rather than damage prevention)

*disclaimer - be sensible how and where you practice, even a deserted carpark is likely to have a kerb somewhere that could bend a wishbone or dent a sump or something if you over do it...
    Start small and slow, and work up from that.
    Get a more experienced driver to accompany you if you're not confident doing it..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 300 ✭✭thethedev

I have an all wheel drive car and I really dont know what to do with it.
    What I have been doing is putting the clutch in and just keeping focused on where I want to go and I seem to be doing OK but Im not sure is this really the right thing to do???
    Some people are saying apply a bit of power? Im confident enough but I always thought this was for those with serious car control skills/ or racing drivers?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,115 ✭✭✭Pdfile

AWD you use the power as a constant, or you will begin to under steer, if you play/blip the throttle it will act like a FWD, though if you have an active AWd/4wd set-up, asi found out in my mates new scooby yesterday your grand... just dont plant the right foot when you panic. Thats the Worst thing to do.

• Registered Users Posts: 757 ✭✭✭Bog Butter

LIGHTNING wrote: »
    Dont touch the breakes if the car enters a skid! Dont even look at them, counter-steer and get the car back into shape. If you have a FWD or a AWD car apply power to help straighten the car.

Are you saying you should counter-steer? I thought the advice was to steer in the direction of the skid.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

how about reducing tyre pressure?? does that help grip??

• Registered Users Posts: 383 ✭✭coronaextra

Hope for the best and ask yourself "why was I traveling so fast in the first place?"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,893 ✭✭✭Canis Lupus

If you live in a rural area go find a nice wide piece of road (preferably at night) and go act the idiot in 2nd gear, play with the handbrake and your brakes and get in some practice. It's also fun :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 49 dopes

There was a guy on sky news yesterday who said the best thing to do is keep in a low gear and if you get into a skid to turn the car in the direction of the skid and to pump the breaks not slam them...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

If you live in a rural area go find a nice wide piece of road (preferably at night) and go act the idiot in 2nd gear, play with the handbrake and your brakes and get in some practice. It's also fun :)

can i use your car?;)

• Registered Users Posts: 383 ✭✭coronaextra

Practice makes perfect:cool:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,262 ✭✭✭Elessar

Sure if you have ABS and are skidding, press the pedal firmly and the car will do the best at slowing itself while still giving you steering control.

I thought this was best practice with ABS?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,590 ✭✭✭✭vectra

fryup wrote: »
    how about reducing tyre pressure?? does that help grip??

LOL
    Jump out when you get a skid and leave the tyres down a bit and jump back in :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,560 ✭✭✭Wile E. Coyote

Advertisement