Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Busted pipe due to frost - am I still insured

Options
  • 27-12-2009 8:17pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 75 ✭✭

I went to stay in the sisters house over xmass and came back to my house a few hours ago to find the place floodeds6.gif from a busted pipe upstairs .
    Ive had the heating off since before xmass eve as i was moving my outside boiler and its still disconected from the mains eletric .
    Im looking to know will i be still covered by my insurance with this being disconected
    My kitchen/ living room and downstairs hall are all soaking, the main leak is above my coocker and hob and there is a puddle of water sitting at the top of my hob
    Im sitting here in total discust as this is the last thing i need right now and want to know my next move ,i was going to phone a plumber but i ended up draining the whole system myself

sorry if im in the wrong forum but didnt no where to put it , mods pleas pm me to let me know

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

To be honest- you'll need to contact your insurance company- without reading your policy and knowing the various articles and clauses, anyone here would be totally guessing were we to offer an opinion.

Sorry to hear about what happened- I know its the last thing you'd want to come home to. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 8,800 ✭✭✭Senna

If it was myself, i wouldn't be volunteering the fact that you had no boiler to the insurance company, if they ask you cant lie, but dont tell them straight out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 58 ✭✭haines35

+1

• Registered Users Posts: 166 ✭✭Roisinbunny

Senna wrote: »
    If it was myself, i wouldn't be volunteering the fact that you had no boiler to the insurance company, if they ask you cant lie, but dont tell them straight out.

Sorry but would not recommend this at all. The assessor that your insurer will send out will look at the situation and they know fairly much straight off the 'lay of the land'. They've seen it all before. You won't be doing yourself any favours when the insurer finds out that you were withholding it, as it will look fraudulent. My own policy excludes damage as a result of frost anyways so I don't think the heating situation would make a difference if it happened to me? Best thing is to tell them the truth and see how it goes.

Just hopefully to prevent something happening in future, you should always have the heater on timer, esp in this type of weather. I read in the paper just 30 mins a day is even sufficient.

I hope you get it sorted anyway, it's a lousy thing to happen at this time of year. Best of luck.

Advertisement