Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

My Neighbours transit vans arent quite right!

• 27-12-2009 8:24pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,763 ✭✭✭

Only noticed the other day, funny how they both don't
    have license plates on the front!

096-1.jpg

Good for toll bridges i guess!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,605 ✭✭✭Fizman

Talented parking that!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 659 ✭✭✭The-Game

Both of them have their plates in the front window sitting on the dash.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,763 ✭✭✭Muckie

I noticed one van with its plate in the window, but the next day a saw
    the owner of the other van in the process of taking his front plate off!
    Maybe we should all try it, whats the worsed that could happen!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,559 ✭✭✭Tipsy Mac

Free tolling perhaps.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 356 ✭✭v300

It annoys the cops but this is a perfectively legal way to show your numberplate.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 251 ✭✭S-Murph

v300 wrote: »
    It annoys the cops but this is a perfectively legal way to show your numberplate.

Really?, even for cars?

I thought only temorary licence plates (the green ones) were allowed to be displayed like that.

S-Murph wrote: »
    Really?, even for cars?

I thought only temorary licence plates (the green ones) were allowed to be displayed like that.

Please read the relevant statute and you will see for yourself.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,088 ✭✭✭Rulmeq

Please read the relevant statute and you will see for yourself.

Care to post a link, all I can find is this, where it says the plates must be affixed to front and rear. That suggests to me that it must be a permanent fixture.
    http://www.citizensinformation.ie/categories/travel-and-recreation/vehicle-standards/vehicle_registration_numbers

"Vehicle registration plates must be affixed to the front and back of your vehicle and clearly visible at all times."

The front does not mean the bumper.

At Wicklow District Court on 10/06/09 in the case of the DPP on suite of Garda Vincent McCarthy vs Greg Davis, the Judge ruled that having a number plate displayed in your windscreen was conforming to current legislation.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭niceirishfella

S-Murph wrote: »
    Really?, even for cars?

You mean Trade Plates.:)

• Advertisement

"Vehicle registration plates must be affixed to the front and back of your vehicle and clearly visible at all times."

At Wicklow District Court on 10/06/09 in the case of the DPP on suite of Garda Vincent McCarthy vs Greg Davis, the Judge ruled that having a number plate displayed in your windscreen was conforming to current legislation.

Nice job providing a reference and all, I would still imagine you would get pulled and questioned by the Gardai depending on what your driving perhaps?

The-Game wrote: »
    , I would still imagine you would get pulled and questioned by the Gardai depending on what your driving perhaps?

Yes, and they issue summons too about this, but no one I have advised
    has gotton convicted of this "offence".

Placing the plate in a clearly visable location on the
    front windscreen is perfectively legal.

Ask the owner of the two transits in the OP !!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 102 ✭✭PLIIM

And just throw a newspaper over the plate on the dash when you are going over the toll bridge. Genius.

PLIIM wrote: »
    And just throw a newspaper over the plate on the dash when you are going over the toll bridge. Genius.

Cough, ahem, that would be the illegal bit Sir !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,626 ✭✭✭timmywex

It would be deemed illegal because its too hard to read!

Cough, ahem, that would be the illegal bit Sir !

Its only illegal if you get caught. If they cant read the number they cant catch you :D

timmywex wrote: »
    It would be deemed illegal because its too hard to read!

The Judge in Wicklow District Court on the 10/06/09 would disagree.

Link to verification: Private forum, you need to join to see this content.
    http://www.midnightclub.ie/forum/showthread.php?t=41881

Mods: Delete link if it does not meet standards. Regards.

Its only illegal if you get caught. If they cant read the number they cant catch you :D

That certainly sounds logical !!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 65,741 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Its only illegal if you get caught

Quoted - the stupidest post of the year :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,088 ✭✭✭Rulmeq

Fair enough, but just be aware that the district court isn't a court of record, so it will all depend on the mood of the judge on the day.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,839 ✭✭✭✭cormie

Fizman wrote: »
    Talented parking that!

Parking job looks good on the blue and still straight on the wine, I suspect there was an inbetweener already there before the wine one was parked :P Just as long as there's enough room for a pram/wheelchair to fit between the back of the wine one and the wall ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,004 ✭✭✭ironclaw

I don't think it would matter as they could just read the rear plate I presume? I think they put in cameras facing both ways to stop people say tail gating a truck to avoid being tolled.

Still, I can't believe people would defend someone displaying a plate in that manner. Its stupid and dangerous.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,801 ✭✭✭✭Gary ITR

ironclaw wrote: »
    Still, I can't believe people would defend someone displaying a plate in that manner. Its stupid and dangerous.

Now I'm not defending it or anything, but how on earth is it dangerous?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,464 ✭✭✭✭Blazer

Onkle wrote: »
    Now I'm not defending it or anything, but how on earth is it dangerous?

well ...that number plate is not tied down and could fly around the front causing an injury to something....
    imagine you had to break hard and the number plate hit the windscreen and killed some poor bug on it minding his own business :(

unkel wrote: »
    Quoted - the stupidest post of the year :)

arrest me,

Berkut wrote: »
    well ...that number plate is not tied down and could fly around the front causing an injury to something....
    imagine you had to break hard and the number plate hit the windscreen and killed some poor bug on it minding his own business :(

Pretty much sums it up. At 120 km/ph a metal plate (most of which have sharp enough edges) is a danger to the driver / passenger etc.

In addition, if someone was acting the **** behind you and you couldn't read the plate, (Because they are trying to avoid a toll etc) some chance you'd have of ringing it in.

And finally, why? Why on earth would you want your plate on your dashboard?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,801 ✭✭✭✭Gary ITR

Pretty much sums it up. At 120 km/ph a metal plate (most of which have sharp enough edges) is a danger to the driver / passenger etc.

In addition, if someone was acting the **** behind you and you couldn't read the plate, (Because they are trying to avoid a toll etc) some chance you'd have of ringing it in.

And finally, why? Why on earth would you want your plate on your dashboard?

Ah would you come on, seriously. Do you have CD cases in your car? Books? Mobile phone somewhere? Anything not strapped down?

Onkle wrote: »
    Ah would you come on, seriously. Do you have CD cases in your car? Books? Mobile phone somewhere? Anything not strapped down?

Not sitting on my dashboard at almost head height. Or in the case of a transit, on an almost perfect launch angle.

Temporary plates are fine but permanently?

I put it to anyone to give me a valid reason to have your number plate sitting on your dash, no tied down etc. Just sitting there as opposed to being securely and safely situated on your front bumper.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,763 ✭✭✭Muckie

Don't know if this has any bearing, but the lads that drive these vans,
    are involved in the "clothes for orphanges, russia, help the needy etc..).
    Seen them leaving very early in the morning 4.30am.
    Coming to a Housing estate near you soon.
    They also slab on magnetic signs on the side of the vans.
    (weird how they don't have them on the whole time).:rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,340 ✭✭✭mullingar

Muckie wrote: »
    Don't know if this has any bearing, but the lads that drive these vans,
    are involved in the "clothes for orphanges, russia, help the needy etc..).
    Seen them leaving very early in the morning 4.30am.
    Coming to a Housing estate near you soon.
    They also slab on magnetic signs on the side of the vans.
    (weird how they don't have them on the whole time).:rolleyes:

poxy legal scams.

These so called charities make my blood boil. Anybody watch the documentary on this months ago on RTE? Pure scam. Phone numbers that don't exist etc.

Just give your stuff to SVP.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,253 ✭✭✭bonzodog2

Not sitting on my dashboard at almost head height. Or in the case of a transit, on an almost perfect launch angle.

Temporary plates are fine but permanently?

I put it to anyone to give me a valid reason to have your number plate sitting on your dash, no tied down etc. Just sitting there as opposed to being securely and safely situated on your front bumper.

Surely, in order to get 'launched', the vehicle would have to be travelling backwards at speed, then come to a sudden stop, as in reversing into something solid at speed ?

bonzodog2 wrote: »
    Surely, in order to get 'launched', the vehicle would have to be travelling backwards at speed, then come to a sudden stop, as in reversing into something solid at speed ?

Was about to say the same, if that's the way someone drives a flying number plate should be the least of their worries.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73,478 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Isn't there a requirement that the plates be mounted vertically?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,555 ✭✭✭✭Marlow

You don't have to. The M50 tollbridge just doesn't get them there and yes, it only goes for the front numberplate. Mine fell off at some point so I had it in the windscreen for about 2-3 weeks. Crossed M50 3 or 4 times and never got a bill.

I reckon that's exactly what these boys are after.

/M

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 Blakkenamber

Does the term "affixed" not mean some sort of mechanical fitting is required, simply placing the plates in the window may not be considered "affixed" but then again suction pads may get over this?

• Advertisement

Does the term "affixed" not mean some sort of mechanical fitting is required, simply placing the plates in the window may not be considered "affixed" but then again suction pads may get over this?

It may technically be affixing the plate but as noted in earlier posts the Gardai can stop and question you over this and if it goes to court its at the judges discretion seemingly, up to you to decide if its worth the risk!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 229 ✭✭cascade35

Go out and get 2 plates made up and fit them to the vans,

cascade35 wrote: »
    Go out and get 2 plates made up and fit them to the vans,
    He has them fitted to the windscreen part of the van.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 229 ✭✭cascade35

He has them fitted to the windscreen part of the van.
    He would be a bit confused if he came out to see new plates fitted to front bumpers of both vans, if he does not notice them and is going through the M50 toll then he will soon recieve the fines in the post.

cascade35 wrote: »
    He would be a bit confused if he came out to see new plates fitted to front bumpers of both vans, if he does not notice them and is going through the M50 toll then he will soon recieve the fines in the post.

Ha ha ha, ya divil cascade ! Very funny !

• Advertisement

Number plate stickers should do :)

/M

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,340 ✭✭✭mullingar

Anybody heard of these plastic covers for the reg plates?

https://www.phantomplate.com/shop/proddetail.asp?prod=E01

it seems to be polarized to obstruct Reading the plate at an angle other than head-on.

mullingar wrote: »
    it seems to be polarized to obstruct Reading the plate at an angle other than head-on.

That might be borderline illegal. Same as spraying your place in hairspray or other funny stuff people come up with.

/M

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 321 ✭✭TheColl

if people are going to use motorways, just pay the toll!

Hit and miss apparently. Plus they are very obvious in real life.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,794 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

colm_mcm wrote: »
    Isn't there a requirement that the plates be mounted vertically?
    Nope, MX-5 and Jag E-Type owner's of the world unite !! :D
    "Does the term "affixed" not mean some sort of mechanical fitting is required,

Define 'mechanical'. Mine is held on by double-sided tape.

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

galwaytt wrote: »
    Define 'mechanical'. Mine is held on by double-sided tape.

I'd second that. I've seen a lot of cars, where the number plates just are fit with strong double-sided tape and it'll last for years.

No screws needed.

/M

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,717 ✭✭✭Midnight_EG

I can well imagine some people in car parks wondering where their cars have gotten to when they can't read their regplate :D

Advertisement