Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Euro vouchers - use in UK stores?

Options
  • 27-12-2009 8:39pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,421 ✭✭✭

I received gifts of vouchers for a few places like HMV, River Island, Boots, etc in euro (obviously enough!) but I live in London. I'm just wondering will I be able to use them when I return there or will I have to spend them all here? Or would I be better off spending them here anyway and would they screw me over on exchange rates or something? Thanks :)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

There should be some sort of terms with the voucher that will lay out how you can spend them. Very unlikely that they'd be accepted in the UK, as the shop would have no way of converting the currency amounts.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,381 ✭✭✭✭Paulw

For most stores, the answer is no. You won't be able to use Irish Euro vouchers in the UK stores.

But, you can always contact them and ask, before you travel. You'd be much better off using them here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,421 ✭✭✭bluedolphin

Cheers, thanks. I'll check in the stores tomorrow. While I'm grateful for the vouchers, it'll be difficult to spend them all before I go back and fit the purchases within my luggage allowance! I'll see what I can do anyway. Thanks :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,194 ✭✭✭Corruptedmorals

It'll usually say on the back 'For use in the ROI only'. Currency conversion is a bitch, Boots Advantage cards can't be used outside of the country of issue, same sort of principle. Worth asking the head offices of the shops if they'd give you the sterling voucher equivalent.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,005 ✭✭✭✭Toto Wolfcastle

It depends on the shop. I know that places like M&S accept Sterling vouchers in Ireland (at their own exchange rate on the day) so they probably accept Euro vouchers in the UK. It would be worth giving the shops in question a call to find out.

• Advertisement
Advertisement