Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Possible (illegal) Funding From Fingal County Council in Sporting Fingal?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,934 ✭✭✭OhNoYouDidn't

stovelid wrote: »
    In the case of the benefactor money drying up, who would technically honour outstanding wages and other costs? The county council?

Genuine question.

Same question could be asked of Pats or Wexford. They are supposed to but a bond in place to cover wages till the window. But as we saw in Cawk and Derry, that might not be the case....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,934 ✭✭✭OhNoYouDidn't

I asked about 4 pages ago how the word illegal can be used here. No-one has answered....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

I asked about 4 pages ago how the word illegal can be used here. No-one has answered....

This thread only has 2 pages :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,381 ✭✭✭✭Paulw

It was only used to try to get negative attention for Sporting Fingal. I can't see how (even if true) it would be illegal for a Co Co to invest in community sport.

Sporting Fingal have a hell of a lot more than just a Premier Division :D team, a European team and FAI Cup winning team, as has been shown.

I also see 4 pages to the thread.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

It would help a bit for people like me (whose concerns are mainly based on the benefactor model and adherence to licensing although I remain unconvinced of the need for another club in North Dublin) if some of the SF support didn't come across as such smug, defensive arrivistes.

I can understand that yis get a hammering from all sides, but it's like listening to Dublin City on coke.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,434 ✭✭✭Lamper.sffc

It would help a bit for people like me (whose concerns are mainly based on the benefactor model and adherence to licensing although I remain unconvinced of the need for another club in North Dublin) if some of the SF support didn't come across as such smug, defensive arrivistes.

I can understand that yis get a hammering from all sides, but it's like listening to Dublin City on coke.

Just defending the club lad. Nothing more.

And if you are refering to me. Im simple pointing out that the club does some good in the community and i fail to see how that is smug or too defensive. Just posting some positive points about the club or should we stick to the usual LOI crap where we have to tear each other down all the time.

If your not talking about me. I still cant see where anybody was being smug. Defensive, maybe. Wouldnt you do the same if their was the same amount of over exagerations about your club made by the same people over and over again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,235 ✭✭✭✭flahavaj

With the grestest respect, as an outsider looking in, its not the Fingal fans that are coming across smug and defensive in this thread. Not when peurile, patronising, derogatory phrases like the bolded one are being bandided about anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 802 ✭✭✭Lollymcd

Why isn't there a LOI thread? (I have a feeling about 50 people are going to say that's been asked SOOOO many times.... )

Anyone know when the fixtures are out?

Sorry to hijack the SF thread... looking forward to going to Morton next season (not) I hope it lives up to my standards (ie United Park)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

Des wrote: »
    This thread only has 2 pages :confused:

Tut tut des , a man of your standing should know that that is decided your user settings.

• Advertisement

Just defending the club lad. Nothing more.

And if you are refering to me. Im simple pointing out that the club does some good in the community and i fail to see how that is smug or too defensive. Just posting some positive points about the club or should we stick to the usual LOI crap where we have to tear each other down all the time.

If your not talking about me. I still cant see where anybody was being smug. Defensive, maybe. Wouldnt you do the same if their was the same amount of over exagerations about your club made by the same people over and over again.

Don't mind em Lamper they are just running scared of the mighty Sporting Fingal.

The Muppet wrote: »
    Don't mind em Lamper they are just running scared of the mighty Sporting Fingal.

Dont you mean the Mightyer than all that came before them Sporting Fingal. The true leaders of Irish football. The one shinning light in the darkness. The one reason for going to see a LOI side. The team of the teenies. The best tea.........

oops sorry. that smug side was getting away from me again;)

flahavaj wrote: »
    With the grestest respect, as an outsider looking in, its not the Fingal fans that are coming across smug and defensive in this thread. Not when peurile, patronising, derogatory phrases like the bolded one are being bandided about anyway.

We're allowed to criticize aren't we? I wasn't criticising Lampter specifically.

We're discussing the call with a great deal more civility than some of the muppetry and who-has-the-shiniest-benchcoat-in-the-whole-world stato bollox than you normally get elsewhere on this forum.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,881 ✭✭✭bohsman

We've seen it all before with Shels, Drogs, Dublin City, Bohs, Rovers, Cork, Derry, Sligo, Galway all saying that all was stable. The ostrich with its head in the sand is probably the most used image in the league over the last 8 years.

We're allowed to criticize aren't we? I wasn't criticising Lampter specifically.

We're discussing the call with a great deal more civility than some of the muppetry and who-has-the-shiniest-benchcoat-in-the-whole-world stato bollox than you normally get elsewhere on this forum.

Be God you are, but you'll have to expect it back at you in equal measure, just like the mighty Sporting have been putting it up to the tired old guard since their genesis!:pac:

bohsman wrote: »
    We've seen it all before with Shels, Drogs, Dublin City, Bohs, Rovers, Cork, Derry, Sligo, Galway all saying that all was stable. The ostrich with its head in the sand is probably the most used image in the league over the last 8 years.

Of course, when the benefactor goes and leave the club in the shit, the "outsiders looking in" are the first to add the resultant unpaid wages and financial woes as an excuse for not taking the league seriously.
    Be God you are, but you'll have to expect it back at you in equal measure, just like the mighty Sporting have been putting it up to the tired old guard since their genesis!:pac:

Do you support them?

What's the agenda for the sudden cheer leading? Not having a go, just asking.

Is it an excuse for winding up or are you starting to take an interest in the league?

• Advertisement

bohsman wrote: »

Don't tar Sporting with the same brush as your own club. Just because Bohs et al have displayed laughable ineptitude off the pitch in recent years doesn't mean others can't learn from their f*ck ups.;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,881 ✭✭✭bohsman

Nothing that makes it look as if they have so far.

Don't tar Sporting with the same brush as your own club. Just because Bohs et al have displayed laughable ineptitude off the pitch in recent years doesn't mean others can't learn from their f*ck ups.;)

As a club that has small gates; knocks rovers out of the cup, appear to be currently offering amongst the highest wages in the division and are funded by outside benefactors including property developers, they certainly seem to have learnt something from Bohs (and others) anyway!

Do you support them?

What's the agenda for the sudden cheer leading? Not having a go, just asking.

Is it an excuse for winding up or are you starting to take an interest in the league?

I've always had an interest in the league, barely mised a Waterford game when I lived down there for five years.

I don't particularly support Fingal, but I enjoyed the novelty of seeing a new club have success this season and find the bitterness and derogatory (eg "Fungal") jibes that are thrown their way by reguars on here a bit pathetic to be honest.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

But don't bat an eyelid when someone posts $hels?

Pull the other one mate, you're on the wind, it's obvious.

• Advertisement

(eg "Fungal") jibes that are thrown their way by reguars on here a bit pathetic to be honest.

Like Shams and Boez?

People have a right to express criticism within the forum rules. Whatever club they support or whatever club they defend.

My feeling is that one or two people are using a defence of SF as an excuse to wind up LOI supporters without getting nailed by the mods for LOI baiting.

Wind-up from within as it were.

Genuinely never seen the $hels one. Thats just as bad.

If I was on the wind you wouldn't know what hit you lad.:pac:

Like Shams and Boez?

People have a right to express criticism within the forum rules. Whatever club they support or whatever club they defend.

My feeling is that one or two people are using a defence of SF as an excuse to wind up LOI supporters without getting nailed by the mods for LOI baiting.

Absolutely they have. I wasn't aware using "Fungal" or "Shams" was anymore allowable than say "Manure" or "Chavski?"

People also have the right to question what seems like a tidal wave of bitterness towards a paticular club from supporters of other Dublin clubs as well though without being accused of being on a wind up.:)

I have no reason to engage in LOI baiting, I spent way too many cold Fridays in the RSC to be bothered with that.

People also have the right to question what seems like a tidal wave of bitterness towards a paticular club from supporters of other Dublin clubs as well though without being accused of being on a wind up as well though.:)

You and the muppet? Fair play. Season ticket holders and all?

I guess most LOI support here see the pisstake names like Shams, Boez and $hels and don't report them so they're let go. It annoys me somewhat when people say Shams because it's to make a dig but so what? I can deal with it.

Again: the criticism exists. It's expressed within the rules. Far more so than rivalry between other clubs.

Personally speaking, I don't think anything I say about SF is particularly mean-spirited or deficient in fact.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

I guess most LOI support here see the pisstake names like Shams, Boez and $hels and don't report them so they're let go. It annoys me somewhat when people say Shams because it's to make a dig but so what? I can deal with it.

Yeah boez shams and $hel$, boo to the lot of ye :p

dreamers75 wrote: »
    Yeah boez shams and $hel$, boo to the lot of ye :p

I forgot junkies. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,521 ✭✭✭✭dsmythy

So there's three clubs north of the River Liffey. (And south of the Fingal northern border :p) What's the population of the whole area just described there?

If three clubs is too many then one of them naturally will fall. It may be Fingal. Worryingly for the fans of Shels/Bohs it could be them instead. I understand their complacency but i don't understand their insecurity. "THE HISTORY!" and all that. If it's strong enough it will survive, if not, then so be it.
    I forgot junkies. :D

Yes, possibly the most insulting of them all!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,965 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

dsmythy wrote: »
    So there's three clubs north of the River Liffey. (And south of the Fingal northern border :p) What's the population of the whole area just described there?

What's the population of Dublin? Yet clubs with the exception of Shams this season get muck attendences.

Like Shams and Boez?

You and the muppet? Fair play. Season ticket holders and all?

Again: the criticism exists. It's expressed within the rules. Far more so than rivalry between other clubs.

Personally speaking, I don't think anything I say about SF is particularly mean-spirited or deficient in fact.

Yeah you have to be a season ticket holder to be entitled to an opinion otherwise your on a wind up. Never mind the topic of the thread accusing illegal activity by the council in the area you live and pay taxes in.

Those posts are the lowest form of debate,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,632 ✭✭✭SligoBrewer

I guess most LOI support here see the pisstake names like Shams, Boez and $hels and don't report them so they're let go. It annoys me somewhat when people say Shams because it's to make a dig but so what? I can deal with it. .

"Cause we're the real Rovers. :D

Bt srsly on topic. I can't wait to see Athlete's Foot go out of business, and better still I can't wait to see noone caring when they do. :D

• Advertisement

Bt srsly on topic. I can't wait to see Athlete's Foot go out of business, and better still I can't wait to see noone caring when they do. :D

Ill care :):p

What's the population of Dublin? Yet clubs with the exception of Shams this season get muck attendences.

Come on Gav seriously, lets not head down that route again. You have to be as bored debating this as I am hearing it.

I understand the frustration but dont ya think its time to put it to bed. At least find a new argument.

Ill care :):p

I wasn't criticizing you particularly, Lamper. I know you (and others) are big supporters and fair play because at the end of the day, we all follow the same league. Just that the nature and genesis of SF was destined to get a lot of backs up, especially in North Dublin, although I appreciate that you do seem to get hammered from all sides which can't be nice.

I wasn't criticizing you particularly, Lamper. I know you (and others) are big supporters and fair play because at the end of the day, we all follow the same league. Just that the nature and genesis of SF was destined to get a lot of backs up, especially in North Dublin, although I appreciate that you do seem to get hammered from all sides which can't be nice.

Teach him your "we are rovers we dont care" song :D

dreamers75 wrote: »
    Teach him your "we are rovers we dont care" song :D

Its alright. We have " Sporting Fingal, No one likes us, we dont care"

We do a little though:o:D

No worries.
    Just trying to support our team. I dont mind rivalry but what I do dislike is people exagerating the truth and sometimes making stuff up completely just to paint the club in a bad light.( not you in fairness). The heading of this thread is an example (illegal bit). Over on foot.ie there is a guy saying that we bus in the majority of our fans for free from swords. Which is completely untrue. This is the crap we are dealing with for the last 2 years. If the stuff was true then fair enough. Id be the first to hold my hand up but a lot of it aint even close to being true.

We may not last. I dont know. Never said we would, even from the very beginning. But we are growing and id be suprised if our crowds wont be somewhere near the likes of Bray and Galway,s next season and that will be a decent improvement IMO.
    Some wont agree which is fine but I bet people will carry on saying the only reason our crowds improved was because we are giving away free tickets and the likes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,170 ✭✭✭Hard Worker

No worries.
    Just trying to support our team. I dont mind rivalry but what I do dislike is people exagerating the truth and sometimes making stuff up completely just to paint the club in a bad light.( not you in fairness). The heading of this thread is an example (illegal bit). Over on foot.ie there is a guy saying that we bus in the majority of our fans for free from swords. Which is completely untrue. This is the crap we are dealing with for the last 2 years. If the stuff was true then fair enough. Id be the first to hold my hand up but a lot of it aint even close to being true.

We may not last. I dont know. Never said we would, even from the very beginning. But we are growing and id be suprised if our crowds wont be somewhere near the likes of Bray and Galway,s next season and that will be a decent improvement IMO.
    Some wont agree which is fine but I bet people will carry on saying the only reason our crowds improved was because we are giving away free tickets and the likes.

There's no reason why you shouldn't be able to get Bray type crowds next season. Galway are different though. They can get crowds of up to 2500 for some games. You're a long way off that.
    What are the plans for a ground for 2011? I hear the funding for the new venue has been held up by, believe it or not, the Maastricht treaty. While Fingal CC have the funds ( the wealthiest council in the country ) there's a clause in the Maastricht Treaty that stops them from drawing down those funds at the moment.
    While Rovers were able to sustain themselves for over 20 years without a home ( I'm not forgetting examinership ), it would be fatal for SF to be homeless for more than one season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,521 ✭✭✭✭dsmythy

I was just wondering the population was all. So the established clubs have failed to entice fans? Time for someone else to give it a shot then?

Over on foot.ie there is a guy saying that we bus in the majority of our fans for free from swords..

I don't like you because you were giving out tickets through letterboxes and free transport and plastic paddy flags to a ****ing cup final, degrading the event. Then the people who sponged off your sugardaddy didn't even have the dignity to stay and watch 'their' team lift the cup, instead wanting to beat the traffic to the luas. While we were left devastated.

I actually had a nightmare about that cup final last night. An actual nightmare. 95% of your fans there don't know who scored the winning goal ffs.
    dsmythy wrote: »
    I was just wondering the population was all. So the established clubs have failed to entice fans? Time for someone else to give it a shot then?

If a club with a home and some history and tradition can't entice 'em, what makes you think that a franchise can. And yes it is a franchise. Created. Shels should have been relocated out, can you imagine what a club Shels would have been with the resources that SF are getting? They'd be up there with Shams now with good crowds. Everyone would have been happy.

• Advertisement

I don't like you because you were giving out tickets through letterboxes and free transport and plastic paddy flags to a ****ing cup final, degrading the event. Then the people who sponged off your sugardaddy didn't even have the dignity to stay and watch 'their' team lift the cup, instead wanting to beat the traffic to the luas. While we were left devastated.

Sorry, that's rich !!!! The Sligo "faithful" were gone as soon as the final whistle went. Were there even 30 Sligo fans still in the grounds when their team were being presented their runners up medals?? I don't think so (and I'm sure I can dig out photographic proof). The vast majority of Fingal supporters stayed until after the cup was presented.

I certainly didn't get any ticket through my letterbox.

As for degrading the event - I thought it was a great event - good football, drama and a late winner, with a very good crowd.

Sour grapes, I think, on your side.

Paulw wrote: »
    Sorry, that's rich !!!! The Sligo "faithful" were gone as soon as the final whistle went.

I certainly didn't get any ticket through my letterbox.

Sour grapes, I think, on your side.

I stayed on. Most didn't. But if we won we wouldn't have left the place 'til 9 O'Clock that night. Differences there. Do you even know how hard it was to watch the "celebrations" of the Fingal fans? It like getting dumped 3 years into a ****ing relationship. I can't blame anyone who left. I was out the door myself only that I felt obliged to stay.

As for tickets through letterboxes, it happened. I was on Luas with them on the way out. Thought it was great craic.

Sour grapes. Yeah. Your **** club ruined my year. I think I'm allowed to have some.

Did you're club not ruin your year by not being good enough to win. Winning and losing, thats what football is all about, if you can't handle losing with dignity pack it in.
    I stayed on. Most didn't. But if we won we wouldn't have left the place 'til 9 O'Clock that night. Differences there. Do you even know how hard it was to watch the "celebrations" of the Fingal fans? It like getting dumped 3 years into a ****ing relationship. I can't blame anyone who left. I was out the door myself only that I felt obliged to stay.

As for tickets through letterboxes, it happened. I was on Luas with them on the way out. Thought it was great craic.

Sour grapes. Yeah. Your **** club ruined my year. I think I'm allowed to have some.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,677 ✭✭✭Pineapple stu

You are the reason i hate sligo with a passion and it made it sweeter that it was sligo we beat in the cup final :D
    You have no class or dignity just immature hatred as if someone has stolen your ball in school and wont let you play , grow up brewer or stick to fools.ie where your like minded wind up artists hang out.
    Sligo is going down this year or go bust ,and me for one will party like its my birthday :D

I actually had a nightmare about that cup final last night. An actual nightmare. 95% of your fans there don't know who scored the winning goal ffs.

If a club with a home and some history and tradition can't entice 'em, what makes you think that a franchise can. And yes it is a franchise. Created. Shels should have been relocated out, can you imagine what a club Shels would have been with the resources that SF are getting? They'd be up there with Shams now with good crowds. Everyone would have been happy.

You actually believe what you post dont you :D
    Next time you have a nightmare think of me in my sporting fingal jocks standing over you with the FAI CUP :D

I stayed on. Most didn't.

You said it all there yourself - most didn't. The vast majority of the Fingal fans stayed until after the cup presentation.
    As for tickets through letterboxes, it happened.

As I said, I didn't get any, nor do I know anyone who got free tickets like that.
    Sour grapes. Yeah. Your club ruined my year. I think I'm allowed to have some.

More like YOUR club couldn't finish off the game. You can't blame anyone but your own team for not winning.

• Advertisement

Paulw wrote: »
    You said it all there yourself - most didn't. The vast majority of the Fingal fans stayed until after the cup presentation.

Go on. Wheres that photographic evidence please.

There's no reason why you shouldn't be able to get Bray type crowds next season. Galway are different though. They can get crowds of up to 2500 for some games. You're a long way off that.
    What are the plans for a ground for 2011? I hear the funding for the new venue has been held up by, believe it or not, the Maastricht treaty. While Fingal CC have the funds ( the wealthiest council in the country ) there's a clause in the Maastricht Treaty that stops them from drawing down those funds at the moment.
    While Rovers were able to sustain themselves for over 20 years without a home ( I'm not forgetting examinership ), it would be fatal for SF to be homeless for more than one season.

I know that, just talking about averages. Ours will be greatly helped by bigger gates from away fans also.
    At the end of the day though the money for the tickets will still go to the club. We did manage 1,400 at a shels game which was greatly helped by the away support. (Gav dont even try it;)) This will happen again with the bigger Dublin derbies.

Totally agree with you about not having a home. Our club will only survive if we get a permanent home. Swords being the best option.
    I don't like you because you were giving out tickets through letterboxes and free transport and plastic paddy flags to a ****ing cup final, degrading the event. Then the people who sponged off your sugardaddy didn't even have the dignity to stay and watch 'their' team lift the cup,

I rest my case:rolleyes:

Well done lads all you need to do now is:

Argue with Rovers/Bohs fan over ground ownership.
    Defend the league vs a barstooler.
    Fail to pay a player.
    Be deducted points.

And your officially accepted into the league.

Dont be over dramatic again brewer, first you would have been thrown out of the ground before half 6 never mind 9 :D and dont forget the weather.

No free tickets was handed out through letterboxes so you can forget that old chestnut to start with.

Ruined your year? im delighted and chuffed as it couldnt have happend to a better person :).

What topped it off and made me chuckle all the way home was the sight of all them sligo cars clamped because they were too mean to pay for parking at the square car park which was only 2 euros anyway for the day :).

RESULT .

I rest my case:rolleyes:

Lamper in fairness, I don't mind you. You seem decent enough. Whereas The Lep for example is a child.

As for free tickets, believe what you want. But those free buses and free flags kinda would be helped by free tickets given out to rent a crowd.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement