Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Possible (illegal) Funding From Fingal County Council in Sporting Fingal?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,434 ✭✭✭Lamper.sffc

Lamper in fairness, I don't mind you. You seem decent enough. Whereas The Lep for example is a child.

As for free tickets, believe what you want. But those free buses and free flags kinda would be helped by free tickets given out to rent a crowd.

I got a free bus and got a free flag. Paid for my ticket though and so did everybody else on the bus we had. I know this because I helped sell them.
    And its not what i believe, Its what i know. There where concession tickets (like all clubs give out) but you are trying to make out that most of the crowd got them. Not true and the argument is old and tired at this stage. Move on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,381 ✭✭✭✭Paulw

Go on. Wheres that photographic evidence please.

See here - http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4006/4248829302_2b14a62550_o.jpg

In the background you can see the Sligo "faithful" leaving even as the presentation stand was being put together ... the very few left. There was a section in the top right that stayed until the end (I assume you were in there). As we all know, the whole stand was full of Sligo fans.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,677 ✭✭✭Pineapple stu

Lamper in fairness, I don't mind you. You seem decent enough. Whereas The Lep for example is a child.

As for free tickets, believe what you want. But those free buses and free flags kinda would be helped by free tickets given out to rent a crowd.

You post really childish comments more often than not brewer and who is this lep? had a look through the thread and cant see any posts made by him/her.

The cup final was back in november, get over it and quit your crying over free tickets. That facebook group you lot set up gave me a chuckle though . " please give us more tickets or i tell me mum " :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,521 ✭✭✭✭dsmythy

If a club with a home and some history and tradition can't entice 'em, what makes you think that a franchise can.

Well it beats doddling along to the old beaten drum. It was time to try something different and we are in the middle of it. Let's look back at it in the future and work on hindsight.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

dreamers75 wrote: »
    Well done lads all you need to do now is:

Argue with Rovers/Bohs fan over ground ownership.
    Defend the league vs a barstooler.
    Fail to pay a player.
    Be deducted points.

And your officially accepted into the league.

We have even used their ground for home games before so that's ticked off the list as well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

stovelid wrote: »
    We have even used their ground for home games before so that's ticked off the list as well.

with the rate thy signing players that oul quiz question "name an 11 that played for all 4 dublin clubs" will be theirs as well :eek:

/its actually 23 players prolly more now

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,407 ✭✭✭Quint

dreamers75 wrote: »
    Well done lads all you need to do now is:

Argue with Rovers/Bohs fan over ground ownership.
    Defend the league vs a barstooler.
    Fail to pay a player.
    Be deducted points.

And your officially accepted into the league.

And every other dublin team is scum. Except UCD, you forget they exist till you play them

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,965 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

Paulw wrote: »
    Sorry, that's rich !!!! The Sligo "faithful" were gone as soon as the final whistle went. Were there even 30 Sligo fans still in the grounds when their team were being presented their runners up medals?? I don't think so (and I'm sure I can dig out photographic proof). The vast majority of Fingal supporters stayed until after the cup was presented.

I certainly didn't get any ticket through my letterbox.

As for degrading the event - I thought it was a great event - good football, drama and a late winner, with a very good crowd.

Sour grapes, I think, on your side.

he vast minority did, few teachers from local clubs, etc... had to leave to get their Fingal paid buses (that's no lie, unless they lied to me). And considering Paul you seen were I was sitting a large majority around me I was talking to were either clubs in Fingal who got free ticket or just general Fingal locals who got free tickets.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,082 ✭✭✭✭Spiritoftheseventies

he vast minority did, few teachers from local clubs, etc... had to leave to get their Fingal paid buses (that's no lie, unless they lied to me). And considering Paul you seen were I was sitting a large majority around me I was talking to were either clubs in Fingal who got free ticket or just general Fingal locals who got free tickets.
    To be fair a lot of work is being done to promote the game in fingal with feeder clubs. Dont know about free tickets but sure there was some sort of deal done re family tickets.

The issue of whether people got free tickets or not has been done to the death on this board and others so why do sligo and shel's heads feel the need to re post the same old nonsence week in week out after they have been given the correct answers? do you think by posting it over and over again you will get a diffrent answer so you can then post " I told you so " ?

Its a new year ladies so please come up with something new.

• Advertisement

Gavin. Give it a rest. We could do this all day. Just because the few around you had maybe recieved concession tickets does not mean the vast majority did. If memory serves me correctly you got your ticket for free did you not. The tickets where sold in blocks therefore its likely the area you where in had other concession ticket holders who got them for free also. If you had been talking to the people around me you would have been told that they paid for their tickets.

Ill say it again for the hard of hearing. Nobody here is saying there was not concession tickets handed out (like all clubs do) We are saying that just because you heard some people say they got a concession ticket does not mean (1) they where being put in through letterboxes for free and (2) the vast majority of fans where freebies. It does mean, there where some people who did recieve concession tickets and the vast majority paid. Simples ;)

And even at the end of the day, so what. We had over 2,000 at the game. Some of which may be back this season, which is what the club needs.

Time to move on gentlemen. It really is:o

And even at the end of the day, so what. We had over 2,000 at the game. Some of which may be back this season, which is what the club needs.

Time to move on gentlemen. It really is:o

Sure we'd probably be able to sell out Tolka if we gave every school, club, old folks home, etc... free tickets in all fairness.

Just on the free tickets aswell, all the FAI freebies were in the Fingal section, and yes there was a good load of them, that's how I got mine for FREE.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,082 ✭✭✭✭Spiritoftheseventies

Sure we'd probably be able to sell out Tolka if we gave every school, club, old folks home, etc... free tickets in all fairness.

Just on the free tickets aswell, all the FAI freebies were in the Fingal section, and yes there was a good load of them, that's how I got mine for FREE.
    Dont see the problem really. Sporting trying to improve their support base and obviously this was a good chance for them.

That wouldnt be a sell out then would it :D
    Here is the point you miss gav me old flower, just because you didnt pay for your ticket ,it doesnt mean the person that gave it to you didnt or the person that gave it to them. I bet you was in the press box :)
    Olly used to let kids in for free so get back in your pram. We used to stop some schooligans going in who was lurking at the gates and olly would tell us to let them in because they played for the kids teams and then the little feckers ran on to the pitch and olly telling us to get them off. I told him out straight that he can chase after them himself as he let them in in the first place.
    You may have been one of them gav :D
    You can be certain there were a few freebies in the sligo stand as well gavo.
    Time to move on gav , you have ran this one to the ground along with the others who trawl the web for some juicy stories about sporting so they can post it on here and on fools.
    I bet you still give out to the english for stealing your potatoes dont you gav ?:D you and the brewer lad.

cymro wrote: »
    That wouldnt be a sell out then would it :D
    Here is the point you miss gav me old flower, just because you didnt pay for your ticket ,it doesnt mean the person that gave it to you didnt or the person that gave it to them. I bet you was in the press box :)
    Olly used to let kids in for free so get back in your pram. We used to stop some schooligans going in who was lurking at the gates and olly would tell us to let them in because they played for the kids teams and then the little feckers ran on to the pitch and olly telling us to get them off. I told him out straight that he can chase after them himself as he let them in in the first place.
    You may have been one of them gav :D
    You can be certain there were a few freebies in the sligo stand as well gavo.
    Time to move on gav , you have ran this one to the ground along with the others who trawl the web for some juicy stories about sporting so they can post it on here and on fools.
    I bet you still give out to the english for stealing your potatoes dont you gav ?:D you and the brewer lad.

Have a mid-afternoon beverage or 3.:D

Nah my ticket was free through the FAI, not a penny cost to anyone, nah it wasn't the Press Box either.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,934 ✭✭✭OhNoYouDidn't

So why don't you? Seriously? Are you saying Shels are the only club in the world that don't comp tickets to community groups and kids football teams?

Its getting very tedious at this stage.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

Nah my ticket was free through the FAI, not a penny cost to anyone, nah it wasn't the Press Box either.

Why diid you not refuse your ticket on principle as you appear to have major issues with the free ticket.

Fingal is a fledgling club, it would be good business to give out concession tickets to promote the club.

You are really portarying the LOI in a bad light with the stance you are taking re fingal. It doesn't surprise me you are connected to the FAI, the shambolic begrudgery you are displaying is pretty typical of that shower of unprofessional wasters.

If you got yours from the FAI then why are you ranting on about Fingal handing them out ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,235 ✭✭✭✭flahavaj

Gavin "shels" not doing very well in here at all.:pac:

• Advertisement

The Sligo "faithful" were gone as soon as the final whistle went. .

I can't think why anybody would do this.

If I lived over a hundred miles away, the weather was absolutely brutal and we'd just been beaten in a cup final, I'd be asking to sleep overnight in the stadium.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

If I lived over a hundred miles away, the weather was absolutely brutal and we'd just been beaten in a cup final, I'd be asking to sleep overnight in the stadium.

not if you lost 4-3 you wouldnt, i was back in a pub in inchicore by the time derry got the cup :D

I would have expected faithful supporters to at least support their team and wait until they received their medals. The team turned to applaud their fans, only to see an almost empty stand. I think they did go over to the small group who were left.

It must have been very disheartening for the players - first to be beaten and then to have their fans disappear.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,632 ✭✭✭SligoBrewer

I would have expected faithful supporters to at least support their team and wait until they received their medals. The team turned to applaud their fans, only to see an almost empty stand. I think they did go over to the small group who were left.

It must have been very disheartening for the players - first to be beaten and then to have their fans disappear.

I actually think they were delighted, over the moon and ecstatic, feeling joy deep down in their hearts that the never felt before. They were all so happy that at that very moment players were leaping to and fro from one to the other with elation. It was like something I'd never seen before. Cretaro was dedicating his life to the club at the final whistle to reporters eager for news on his whereabouts for the forthcoming season. The fans stormed the pitch and started hugging the players, with tears of joy running down their faces.

And btw. I'm still waiting on the photo of the cup being recieved infront of a full stand of Fingal supporters who all paid for their tickets fair and square and didn't go because they got a free ticket paid for by Gerry Gannon, free transport or a free I'm a leinster-franchise-rugby-fan-here-for-the-day plastic bendy flag.

Maybe the support were gutted? Who knows?

Anyway, your section in Tallaght was virtually empty (for the whole game) when you knocked us out of the same competition earlier on, so lectures to the Sligo support about faith aren't the wisest course of action.

I actually think they were delighted, over the moon and ecstatic, feeling joy deep down in their hearts that the never felt before. They were all so happy that at that very moment players were leaping to and fro from one to the other with elation. It was like something I'd never seen before. Cretaro was dedicating his life to the club at the final whistle to reporters eager for news on his whereabouts for the forthcoming season. The fans stormed the pitch and started hugging the players, with tears of joy running down their faces.

And btw. I'm still waiting on the photo of the cup being recieved infront of a full stand of Fingal supporters who all paid for their tickets fair and square and didn't go because they got a free ticket paid for by Gerry Gannon, free transport or a free I'm a leinster-franchise-rugby-fan-here-for-the-day plastic bendy flag.

You are very bitter arnt you brewer :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 21,235 ✭✭✭✭flahavaj

The Sligo guy also is coming across very badly in here. Still smarting form the agonies of defeat snatched from the jaws of victory methinks. It amuses me no end.

In fairness the point made by Paul was to counter the point that brewer made saying most of our fans didnt stay for the cup presentation. Again this is an exaggeration. Yes people left, but nowhere near most of them. Paul was simply pointing out that it was a bit rich saying this when the majority of sligo supporters left straight away and didnt even clap their teams efforts. (Those in glasshouses and all that.)

We all know that a lot of our support there where probably at their first SF game. Just like a lot of Sligo s where too. This is a good thing for both clubs. Hopefully people come back. Nobody in here is trying to say we have a big support either. Just pointing out the miss-information people are posting.

The reason brewer is also wanting a photo is because he will proceed to point out all the empty spaces in the stand. Saying, "look everybody, see i told you loads of people left early". The fact is there was a lot of sligo fans in the same stand which left straight after the whistle.

The fact is there was a lot of sligo fans in the same stand which left straight after the whistle.

You've no idea how we felt you've never lost an important match like that in your brief franchise history. And this is way off topic.

gufct wrote:
    Anglos Sponsorship was a six figure sum per season for the sleeves of the Jerseys and Gerry Gannon told them how much they were going to pay. I cant believe that this sponsorship was renewed this season if it was some embarrasing questions for the government run board of Anglo.

From foot. Hardly new, but brings us nicely on topic.

Nobody said the stand was full. It wasnt even full at kick off. Are you going to ignore every point made and still say the same things over and over again.

Of course you are.

You've no idea how we felt you've never lost an important match like that in your brief franchise history. And this is way off topic.

From foot. Hardly new, but brings us nicely on topic.

Which you encouraged and now that its not going your way you wish to stop. Give it up man, seriously.

EDIT
    I don't like you because you were giving out tickets through letterboxes and free transport and plastic paddy flags to a ****ing cup final, degrading the event. Then the people who sponged off your sugardaddy didn't even have the dignity to stay and watch 'their' team lift the cup, instead wanting to beat the traffic to the luas. While we were left devastated

• Advertisement

Which you encouraged and now that its not going your way you wish to stop. Give it up man, seriously.

Right.

Where do you get your money from?

Right.

Where do you get your money from?

Gannon and various sponsors. You can check the website to find out who exactly

Now you tell me where you think we get it from.

Gannon and various sponsors.

Now you tell me where you think we get it from.

Now. Of what trade is Gerry Gannon a member of?

Now. Of what trade is Gerry Gannon a member of?

Dude this isnt kindergarden. Make your point and back it up with some facts

Off topic because of the points YOU made.

The funding of Fingal is a matter of public record - Gannon, Anglo, Keelings, etc.

Anyway, getting back on topic ... again, I don't see why the word "illegal" is used in the thread title. Nothing so far has even hinted at anything illegal.

Off topic because of the points YOU made.

The funding of Fingal is a matter of public record - Gannon, Anglo, Keelings, etc.

Anyway, getting back on topic ... again, I don't see why the word "illegal" is used in the thread title. Nothing so far has even hinted at anything illegal.

Now, do you not think that it's odd that a developer is ploughing millions into a club which is part owned by the council. And that's what we know about?

What about the sponsorship which is way over the odds? Why is it way over the odds?

Now, do you not think that it's odd that a developer is ploughing millions into a club which is part owned by the council. And that's what we know about?

+1

What about the sponsorship which is way over the odds? Why is it way over the odds?

What's odd? Gannon has been long known to be a football fan. I'm sure it's no more odd than a millionaire Russian oil tycoon investing in a UK club called Chelsea. Or rich US tycoons investing in Man Utd or Liverpool. What about the Arabs investing in other clubs?

The Council want to help promote and develop sport throughout the community, so to them it made an ideal partnership.

Come on people, welcome to the real world.

As for sponsorship, should the club not try to get the best it can and as much as it can from possible sponsors?

Is it that other clubs are just jealous that they can't seem to find people/companies willing to invest in them?

Again ... what's illegal???????

*yawn* ... it's all getting a little boring, and the same old stuff for the last two years guys.

What's odd? Gannon has been long known to be a football fan. I'm sure it's no more odd than a millionaire Russian oil tycoon investing in a UK club called Chelsea. Or rich US tycoons investing in Man Utd or Liverpool. What about the Arabs investing in other clubs?

Completely different situations as they are single owners of the respective clubs.

Now we have a situation where developer and CoCo are riding off into the sunset together. Have I a right to be suspicious?

Why are Anglo ploughing six figure sums into Athlete's Foot when they are basically no longer in operation, state owned and making more losses than Bray Wanderers in a play-off?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 992 ✭✭✭fh041205

In fairness, this is the most valid (relevant) point made in this thread so far IMHO. Do we have to wait another 10 pages of drivel to get the answer?

• Advertisement

fh041205 wrote: »
    In fairness, this is the most valid (relevant) point made in this thread so far IMHO. Do we have to wait another 10 pages of drivel to get the answer?

I felt like a good rant first. Sorry.

It been answered above.
    Its all speculation by others and untill some facts are provided then im done. Enjoy boys

I felt like a good rant first. Sorry.

I can see why you would tbh.
    It been answered above.
    Its all speculation by others and untill some facts are provided then im done. Enjoy boys

Not really. It does still look a bit sus you have to admit.

I can see why you would tbh.

Not really. It does still look a bit sus you have to admit.

Id be lying if i said I thought he wasnt getting anything out of it. He is a business man first and foremost. I know this and as a fingal fan I hope there is nothing to it.

But what im not going to do is speculate and condemn the club, council and gannon and who ever else until I hear some solid facts. Ill leave that to others

Crap I said I was done. oops:o

edit

Fail to see why you think it was reasonable for brewer to go off on one before getting back on topic

I made this point in post #13.

Personally i couldnt give a fiddlers. You will be questioning me next on where i got the money for my season ticket :D

Was its sligo's ground that was broken into brewster? I heard they stole the carpet from the trophy cabinet as there was feck all else in there to steal :D

Why do you care so much about our club and its finances? does it make you feel all butch and manly when you are having a pop ?
    You start worrying about how sligo are going to stay afloat cos once they are down next year the crowds will leave and the club will sink cos they have no back bone to survive.

Completely different situations as they are single owners of the respective clubs.

Now we have a situation where developer and CoCo are riding off into the sunset together. Have I a right to be suspicious?

Why are Anglo ploughing six figure sums into Athlete's Foot when they are basically no longer in operation, state owned and making more losses than Bray Wanderers in a play-off?

You dont live in Fingal so why does it concern you?

Why are you getting a hard on over Sporting Fingal? why do you have such hatred? has your farm gone bust?

Answer 1 NO

Answer 2 There is no over the odds with sponsorship. Just because we get more than the bit of ****e it doent mean its over the odds.

cymro wrote: »
    Answer 1 NO

Really? Thats a very foolish belief unless you know something the rest of us seem not to.

• Advertisement

Really? Thats a very foolish belief unless you know something the rest of us seem not to.

I've met and talked to John Gannon a number of times, about the club. He's a mad with a passion for sport, and football.

I certainly never saw any alterior motives for his investment.

If people have queries about the finances - why not contact John Gannon and ask him about his investment? Why not contact Anglo and ask them about their investment? Why not contact Keelings?

Or, do you just like ranting and making wild accusations on boards, without any facts or details?

You'd be much better off spending your time and efforts being concerned how your own clubs are going to survive.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement